Author's Chapter Notes:
I don't blame you guys if you totally give up on this story. It's terrible that it took me so long to update. It hasn't been easy for me and I really hope you guys don't give up on Ju and Berry. Their story is a long one but I'm working on seeing it to the end. With that said, I hope you all forgive me for the long wait and I really hope you all like this update even if it's not all that great since I'm still getting back into the swing of things. Enjoy

 

December

Five Days Later

Saturday Afternoon

In Colorado

 

 

Relaxation in the Mountains

 

 

"I can't believe we were able to get away to practically paradise with everything that's been happening recently." I coo.

 

"Well we did and I think we deserved it."

 

"We did...we do."  I smile as I look up at Justin whose arms I'm snuggly engulfed in.

 

We arrived in Colorado on Thursday and it's been nonstop love-making ever since. Justin knows that I hate the cold so he offered for us to stay in most of the weekend with one request that we go out tomorrow for a bit since it'll be Christmas. I agreed of course because he's done so much for me lately and even with everything we're still here together. That has to count for something.

 

We've tried not to talk about what's been going on since we've been out here. We just want these few days to ourselves worry free and so far that's been working out well for us.

 

Malcolm calls in at least once a day to update us but that's about it. Yolanda and Trace agreed to catch up with us in New York on Tuesday and Justin and I have decided that it's only fair to clear up the issue of our relationship status to the public when we get to New York as well, with Johnny's request. I don't mind. I'm a little nervous still on if I can handle the public light but I've come to realize that I'd do just about anything for my Ju so I'll deal.

 

I'm more concerned with seeing Christian, but so far, Justin has done a wonderful job of easing my fears. He's well aware of what we're facing with Jeremy, Christian, Blake and Rico since I couldn't keep Rico a secret from him. He's handling it well.

 

The good thing in all of this is after we're done with New York, we'll be going on the vacation that Justin has been desperate to go on. I'm excited about it too even if we'll be sailing to the Caribbean, in my Aunt Patrice's territory. Who knows, it might be good for me if I get to see her but I'm not counting on it.

 

"So it's kind of getting late. Do you want to help me start on dinner?" Justin whispers while brushing some of my dark hair out of my face so he can get a better look at me from where I'm lying against his chest on the wooden crafted couch.

 

I have to give him props. This cabin is amazing and I can understand why he'd use here as his getaway. It's disconnected from the rest of the world which we both need so I'm thankful he decided to share this with me.

 

"Sure what are we having?" I ask enthusiastically, seating up to turn and face him.

 

Smiling brightly, I take in his crystal blues that are piercing my hazels with their intense gaze. He has on a beige sweater, dark slacks and a beanie on his head to match. In here is already warm with the heater and fireplace blazing but it doesn't hurt to be toasty. I'm wearing a blue sweater and jeans with my socks as well.

 

"Well, we could have some baked chicken and pasta since I placed the chicken out last night to defrost. When we get in from the slopes tomorrow I'll start on that big Christmas dinner with your help of course. Oh and we'll give our families a call to wish them happy holidays and all that stuff." He grins cheekily and I giggle at his cuteness.

 

"Ok chef Ju, whatever you say. I didn't know you were that great a cook." I tease him.

 

He's been spoiling me rotten since we got here. He's demanded that he does just about everything for me. I'm not sad that he's feeding and pampering me, but I'd like to do the same for him too. He's just so stubborn sometimes.

 

"My mom and nana's recipes are to die for girl, what are you talking about? We're safe, so long as I follow them exactly." Chuckling, he shifts beneath me to stand before gripping my hand and helping me up to face him.

 

Rolling my eyes playfully, I lean up and capture his lips in a delicate sweet kiss eliciting a low growl from him as he wraps his arms around my waist.

 

"Mmmm, I'm so never going to get used to this." He mutters under his breath and I scowl, pulling away from him to stare into those blues that I love so much.

 

"What?"

 

"Kissing you." He smiles bashfully while licking his pink lips and I arch a brow in amusement. "What!?" He defends, moving away from me but I block his path. "Berry, seriously, kissing you is like an addiction for me. Ever tried to take a druggy away from his fix?"

 

"He'd throw a fit." I supply, knowing where he's going with this.

 

"Exactly, among other things."

 

"So you're saying, I'm like your drug fix?" I ask skeptically and I note how his eyes widen slightly with mischief.

 

"Eh, among other things." He shrugs, turning around to leave but I'm not done with him yet.

 

"Other things huh?" I mock him.

 

"Yup. You're like a mixture of a drug, caffeine and sugar overload...which is like a lethal combination but..." And he drifts off, his voice dying in his throat when I smack his butt harshly just as we make it into the kitchen.

 

"Hey! Woman!"

 

Laughing, I dodge his advances and tackle him as we play around in the kitchen until he gives up, raising his hands in the air in defeat.

 

"Ok, I surrender, I'm starving, come on let's get this food on the way." Justin grins brightly and I nod trying to catch my breath.

 

"Alright, what first?" I ask eagerly while rubbing my palms together, scanning over the large spacious kitchen.

 

Still glaring at me interestingly, Justin rubs his hands over his light stubble in thought, his eyes drifting over to the defrosted chicken he placed in the sink the night before.

 

Diverting his attention back to me, his lips twitch into a small smile as he gives me a knowing glare.

 

"What? Why are you staring at me like that?" I ask, suddenly feeling self conscious. Gosh, he's being creepy now.

 

"Nothing." He dismisses but he's still just standing there staring intently. Sighing, he takes a step towards me then stops abruptly. "I just...I just love you is all." He speaks softly in a babyish tone with a shrug and oh my gosh, he's too sweet. How did I get so lucky?

 

"Aw, Ju, are you having a moment? Oh my god are you going to cry? That's so cute! Need some Kleenex tissue or..."

 

"Quit it!" He cuts me off, horror flashing on his face since I'm teasing him.

 

"I'm sorry." I giggle. "I love you too...always."

 

"I know." He beams proudly.

 

"You're so cocky sometimes."

 

"That's one of my best qualities berry."

 

"I'm sure..."

 

"It is...I mean, if I wasn't cocky I wouldn't be able to make you scream my name every time I..."

 

And that's as far as he gets because I just rushed up on him and slapped my palm over his mouth.

 

My hazels burn holes into his blues as I give him a warning stare but that doesn't deter him. Instead he chuckles, looking down at me in utter amusement before I feel his tongue slick over my palm.

 

"Oh ew! Justin! You just licked my hand!" I scream, jerking away from him and frantically rubbing my hand over my clothes. "You're nasty."

 

"Your hand is salty." He cringes and my eyes widen in shock as he moves over to the fridge to grab a bottle of water.

 

"Asshole." I mumble.

 

"It never gets old." He spits good-naturedly but I ignore him.

 

"Whatever." I shove him playfully as we both laugh and just like that we fall into comfortable conversation as we proceed to prepare dinner together.

 

I have to say, this is the best Christmas Eve I've had in years. Screw the cold. Who cares when I have Justin here to warm me up?

 

 

*****

Hours Later...

 

 

I didn't know what to expect when I invited Zara out here with me. For one, there was a lot of tension between us with everything that's transpired in the last few weeks but I think this little break is exactly what we needed.

 

I mean, we're happy, relaxed and away from all the drama. I feel more like myself and the Zara I fell in love with is shinning now more than ever. She's not as reserved as she used to be or shy. She's open and bold. She's being the woman I always knew she was even when she was afraid to show it and maybe this might seem lame but it almost feels like I'm falling in love with her all over again.

 

I think it says a lot on my part that I actually brought her up here with me in the mountains to celebrate Christmas. She's the first person I've ever shared this with but I'm glad it's her because well, I've never felt about any other woman the way I do about her. In fact, the more I think about it, the more sense it makes that she's it for me. I really don't have any reason to look any further. I guess that means it would only make sense to take our relationship to the next level, whatever that level is.

 

Either way, I don't plan on giving her up without a fight. I'd rather die first or have a reason to let her go before I ever gave up on what we have. Yeah, I'm that serious about this which is terrifying but I don't mind.

 

It's worth it. Nothing can compare to the great times we share together. Like tonight. Tonight was fun and laid back which I seriously enjoyed because we don't get those times often.

 

We cooked dinner together, ate together and cleaned up the kitchen together. I love that we've been doing things together. I think we're getting closer if that's even possible and I can see how comfortable Zara is with me.

 

Now, we're back on the couch lying together by the fireplace watching some Christmas movie. I honestly don't know what we're watching. Berry picked it and I've been too engrossed in my thoughts to care.

 

Unfortunately, our peaceful silence doesn't last long because the shrilling of her cell phone interrupts the calm ambiance in the room.

 

I'm betting it's Malcolm. He's called everyday for the past two days at the same time and I'd say he's right on time tonight.

 

"Malky?" I ask, skimming Zara's back affectionately as she stretches for her phone on the wooden living room centerpiece.

 

"Ugh, don't call him that Justin. It sounds weird when you say it." She giggles.

 

"Well, he's your Malky isn't he?" I chuckle, loving that I annoy her with the pettiest things.

 

"Shut up!" She scolds lightly. "And if you must know yes it's him." She beams when she glares at the caller ID.

 

Smirking, I get more comfortable where I'm lying underneath her with our limbs tangled, tuning her out as I gaze blankly at the television screen getting lost in my thoughts again.

 

My plans to zone out don't last long though since Zara is talking loudly into the line. I don't see why, I'm sure Malcolm's not deaf but he will be if she continues at that volume.

 

"Could you lower your voice please? I can't hear myself think." I nudge her and she groans softly before getting up from where she's lying on me. Giving me a quick glance, she moves away to stand on the side and I shift, sitting up to stretch my limbs.

 

"Wait...wait what did you say Malcolm? Hold on a minute..." Bringing the phone down from her face, Zara makes a signal to me and I glare at her. "I'm going to take this in the kitchen Ju. The television's kind of loud."

 

Nodding in agreement, I dismiss her and the moment she's gone, I grab the remote and switch the channel over to sports. I need to remember that I've vowed to never let Zara pick our movies again. I don't think I could ever survive through those chick flicks again. She ruined it for me with ‘The Notebook', ‘Dirty Dancing' and ‘Titanic.'

 

 

It doesn't take her long to return with her cell in hand and a weary look on her face.

 

Shit, and I was just getting into the game I was watching too. Giving her a quick scan, I note the worry on her face and instantly cave, switching off the television in the process.

 

Patting my lap, I signal her over and she lets out a heavy sigh before moving over to sit on my lap.

 

"Damn woman, you're getting heavy. What have you been eating?" I tease her, tickling her softly.

 

She giggles lightly but I think my words passed right through her for the most part.

 

"If I'm too heavy I can just sit on the couch..."

 

"Just shut up. Tell me what's bothering you. What did Malcolm say?" I smile and her shoulders slump almost instantly.

 

"He uh, wanted to update us on Blake and the whole Jeremy ordeal." She says quietly and I'm all ears now, the mention of Blake and Jeremy causing me to tense in anticipation.

 

"Well?"

 

Turning to sit sideways so she can see me, Zara frowns in confusion and I match her gesture while wrapping my arms around her waist, my fingertips grazing her sides softly.

 

"What's going on berry?" I ask again when she hesitates.

 

"So it turns out Blake's car was missing. His story checked out. Malcolm and Drew had it impounded when he got it back so they could scan it for evidence to get any leads. I guess that means Jeremy story is accurate too. Whoever those people are he's working with, they were the ones who nearly knocked over Trace and Yolanda and made it look like Blake was involved." She explains and I can't help but growl angrily. This is not what I wanted to hear. I mean it's good to be updated, but couldn't Malcolm have waited for us to get off our trip to lay that on us?

 

He of all people should know how Zara gets. She worries a lot and I'm not about to let that ruin the good time we've been having.

 

"Ok, ok well we can deal with this when we get back. We're safe out here where no one can get to us." I assure her when I feel her entire frame go rigid. "Baby, relax. You know it's not good for you to get worked up like this. Remember Dr. Lake. We want her to see that you're making progress." I try to comfort her but it doesn't seem to be working. She's not done talking yet. I can tell.

 

"Look, what else did Malcolm say? Get it off your chest Zara so we can put it behind us at least for the rest of the weekend."

 

"They uh, they traced Jeremy's call like you requested. Uh, in fact, Malcolm and Drew are going to bring the information they have to their boss to get his permission to pursue their leads and this case fully."

 

"Well, that's good baby. That's good. I know you're worried about your bro, but he can take care of his self. He's good at his job. Remember, we want them to find Jeremy. " I say nonchalantly, knowing I'd have a few choice words or maybe punches for him if we ever came face to face again. It's his fault we're in this mess. He deserves to feel at least half the pain we've been going through. "Why are you so worried Zara? This is a good thing."

 

"No, I know that I just..." Sighing, she stands and turns to face me before straddling my waist. Staring into my eyes, she scowls in thought as her hands wrap around my neck, her fingertips tickling the base of the back of my head sending shivers through my body.

 

"Babe you need to stop that before I assault you right here on this couch." I warn, my eyes shutting momentarily as her gentle touches threaten to send me over the edge.

 

"Justin...Jeremy's in New York." Zara suddenly blurts out and hold on...what!? My eyes instantly shoot open to stare at her in confusion as she continues to ramble. "Manhattan to be exact. In fact, he called us from a bar up there. Malcolm traced the call to a bar. He wasn't very careful. He called from a payphone in the bar."

 

"Uh...ok." I drawl, realization hitting me dead on. Oh god...we're supposed to be in New York by Tuesday. Just when I thought things couldn't get worse. And I can't cancel this trip. Johnny would never allow it. Shit.

 

"I know how this looks. This is...a disaster Ju! I'm barely breathing properly knowing I'm going to be in the same state as Chris...but Jeremy too? God! And he...he was only a few blocks away from your restaurant." She continues to ramble and I'm shaking my head in disbelief now.

 

"What do you..."

 

"Southern Hospitality Justin. I looked up the address. Where Jer called us from, it was only a few blocks away."

 

"Zara it's just a coincidence, it doesn't mean anything..."

 

"No Justin! That's no coincidence. First we saw Christian leaving there and now this?"

 

"I'm sure my restaurant has nothing to do with this." She's being paranoid now. Not that I blame her.

 

"Maybe...maybe not. I don't know." Gasping slightly, Zara hunches forward unexpectedly gripping her abdomen as she fights to take a breath.

 

"Shit, you ok baby?" I ask out of concern, my grip on her tightening. "Please don't be getting a panic or anxiety attack. It's nothing we can't deal with. Damn it."

 

"I...I'm fine." She dismisses me, my blues landing on where she's gripping her stomach tightly.

 

"Are you sure? You're in pain. What brought this on?" I ask while placing my hand over hers that's resting on her abdomen.

 

"Shit, I don't know...hold on, I need some water or something." Reluctantly, she moves away from me to stand and I stand with her, gripping her hand to lead her into the kitchen.

 

"You can't be stressing yourself out like this Zara. Look at what it's doing to you. You'll make yourself sick." I snap at her. I hate it when she gets like this.

 

"I know, I'm sorry. I'm sure it's nothing. Just nerves." She caves but I don't buy it.

 

"It's not your fault. This is a fucking mess but we'll get through it. Malcolm's on it." I assure, ushering her to take a seat at the island, my eyes never leaving the death grip she has on her stomach to lessen the pain she's in.

 

We just ate not too long ago. I'm sure the stress and worry she's putting herself under is messing up her digestion. I really wish she had more faith in our situation that it can be cleared up.

 

"I'm fine Ju." She forces out, taking in deep breaths as I rush around to get her a glass of water.

 

Handing it to her, I take a seat next to her at the island, studying her facial expressions as she breathes a sigh of relief when her pain subsides. Ok that was weird and sudden, but she seems to be feeling better now. I watch as her dark hair falls around her face, brushing against her caramel brown cheeks.

 

"We don't have to meet any of them if you don't want to Zar." I point out, referring to Christian and Jeremy. It's just my luck really. I'm not even going to get into how angry I am or how this is really making me feel. It's not worth it right now.

 

Exhaling loudly, she grips my hand in hers, giving me a tight squeeze. "I don't think we have much of a choice or say in the matter. We'll have to wait and see what happens."

 

"Why?"

 

"Because Ju, now that Malcolm and Drew have their lead, I'm pretty sure they'll be accompanying us to New York which means this just turned into an official investigation. Especially with Malcolm calling Trace and Yolanda's incident attempted murder instead of an almost hit and run along with the anonymous threats we've been getting. Not to mention he's certain that Jeremy is into some illegal shady shit which he'd just love to bust him for..."

 

I open my mouth to speak to try and assure her that things will be ok, but nothing comes out except one word since I can't lie to her.

 

"Great..." I mutter sarcastically.

 

The truth is I have no idea what we're going to be dealing with but I'm not letting it get in the way of our album promotions and studio time. All I really care about is that Zara and I come out of this together still as a couple and I'll do anything and everything I have to, to make sure that happens.

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story