2 days later

Monday morning...

 

You Make Me Better


"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around."

 

"Tennman Records, this is Jahzara speaking how may I help you?" I answer, gripping the phone tightly to my ears.

"Miss Gilmore! How are you today?" Comes a familiar voice over the line.

"Oh hi, Mr. Wright., I'm doing well and you?" I ask with a bright smile. He's just always so nice to me.

"I'm good, things are good. Listen, you do know that Justin is scheduled to travel this weekend to LA with Yolanda right?"

"Uh huh."

"Ok, just making sure that everything is in order." He replies.

"Everything is set Sir. His flight is scheduled for Saturday night." I respond, fiddling with my black blouse.

"Good, do you think you can transfer me to his office?" He asks politely. Johnny is such a pleasant man. Justin could take lessons from him on how to talk to people.

"Of course, please hold." I quickly press the hold button and dial the extension to Justin's line. After maybe half a ring he picks up.

"Morning Zara." He greets me in a soft tone and I pause for a split second. Did he just say that to me? Wow, he must be in a good mood.

"Good morning Mr. Timberlake. I have Mr. Wright on line one." I quickly reply. I don't want his mood to change on me. I swear that man goes through the worse mood swings. More so than a woman with PMS. It's amazing.

"Ok, put him through and please come up to my office. I need to have a word with you. I've already sent Mallory down to take your place for a while." He states and I could have sworn I heard her in the background of his office grunting or something. I know she doesn't like me. She makes it so obvious too. But why? I've barely even said five words to the woman.

"O...ok...Sir. I'm putting Mr. Wright through now." I quickly transfer his call in fear that he might yell or bitch at me or something. It's not my fault, I'm a little afraid of him. He can be very hot and cold with a person you know.

 

 

Pushing back my chair, I stand up straight, fixing my black blouse and knee length grey skirt. Ok, so today, I wore a skirt instead of my usual pant suits. I figure I have these clothes in the wardrobe taking dust, so I might as well put them to good use.

Now entering the elevators, I'm greeted by none other than Jeffery Rush himself. Giving him a huge smile, I press the button to Justin's floor, watching the doors close before I rest back against the elevator wall.

"Oh you look nice today Z. Your hair is cute the way you styled it down and you're wearing a skirt! Who's the lucky guy?" He chortles, nudging the side of my arm.

Turning to face him I smile brightly. "Thanks Jeff. You always know how to make a girl feel good about herself. But it's just a personal change for me. No guy." I add sadly.

"Oh, don't worry babe. It will happen." He assures with a big grin before the doors open on his floor and he walks out. Man, have I told you how attractive this man is? I wish he was the guy. To hell with Justin. I need to move on with my life.

Nodding at his statement he turns to face me suddenly.

"We'll do lunch later ok babe? I'll swing by your desk around 1. You pick the place and I'll buy. Does that sound good?" He asks, holding the elevator doors open for my answer.

Oh my god...I'm literally stunned stupid. I'm just standing there speechless. Say something you imbecile! Did Jeffery Rush just ask me out on a lunch date? Holy....

"Yeah that's fine." I try to keep a calm voice but I want to scream right now from excitement. This can not be happening to me.

"Sweet. See you later babe." He winks at me before he releases his hold on the doors and they close bringing me up to Justin's floor.

"Oh my god..." I breathe with anticipation, just as the doors open on Justin's floor. I'm on cloud nine right now. I don't care how pathetic I'm being. It's just two employees out to lunch but that's huge for me. Hopefully, we could maybe get to know each other better. Anyway, on to more pressing issues...

 

Making my way up the hall to Justin's office, I knock lightly on the wooden vanished door. Why do I feel self conscious all of a sudden? Maybe it's because, he always seems to be examining me, taking me apart piece by piece with his eyes. But he has the most beautiful blue eyes. Damn, I need to stop this nonsense.

Hearing him say ‘come in', I slowly twist the knob, pushing the doors open before I walk into his overly huge and spacious office. There's even a leather couch in there. Damn, C.E.Os live large man.

Feeling my heart beat increase and my nerves take over, I watch in slow motion as he lifts his head form his mountain of papers, locking eyes with me before he gives me a warm smile.

 

****

 

"Hey Zara." I smile at her as she seems glued in place just staring back at me. I honestly think she's afraid of me. But that's beside the point right now, because as my eyes begin to scan her, I'm realizing just how beautiful she looks today. Wow, did I just say she looks beautiful? Oh hell Na! What the hell man. This is so frustrating. And she's wearing a skirt! Well, not like the one at the club. I just can't seem to get that night out of my mind. But damn, she looks so feminine today. And her clothes are fitted on her body. It makes her look sizes smaller too, than the baggy stuff she always wears. Ok, take a breather Justin. I'm acting up just like I did when I saw her at the gym on Friday. Oh...but I definitely want to see that navel ring again. It was hot.

"Have a seat Zara, don't be shy. I won't bite." I chortle and I notice her arch her brows at my statement. Interesting. Well I won't bite unless she wants me too....ok that was the last sexual thought. I need to control myself. I'm the boss here. Yeah.

I watch intently as she pulls up a chair and seats directly in front on me on the other side of my desk. Still smiling at her, I put a paper in front of her, or more so a contract. Today is the day she gets the good news. Everything is finalized with Johnny so I can tell her now. Remember when I said I might consider giving her another option from her dull desk job? Well, this is it. Plus, Johnny likes her a lot and that's good enough for me.

"What is this?" she asks, scanning the contract curiously.

"This is a contract that I'd like you to sign..." I drift off when she snaps her head up at me. She seems so lost right now. It's so cute. And she has the most hypnotizing hazel eyes. Why haven't I noticed how piercing they were before?

Clearing my throat uncomfortably, I shift in my seat a bit. "Like I was saying..." I proceed, "I'd like you to consider a job offer I have for you. It pays a lot more than your previous job and you'll still be working under Tennman records." When I notice she's silent still listening to me I continue. "The job is for a PA" I begin, but she interrupts me.

"You want me to be a Personal Assistant?" She asks incredulously.

"Yes, more specifically, I want you to be Yolanda Glenmore's Personal Assistant, which means if you accept, you'll be traveling with us to LA on Saturday." I rectify as she frowns. Ok, that's not the reaction I was hoping for.

Standing abruptly she just glares at me with fiery eyes. What the fuck man? Now when I'm being nice, she's bitching.

"What is this Justin? Some sick joke? Do you feel that sorry for me or something? I don't need you taking any pity on me. If you want to fire me go ahead or better yet I can just quit and be out of your hair. I don't have to stay here and take your sympathy card." She snaps, breathing heavily.

What the....ok, firstly did she just call me by my first name?! That's some serious disrespect right there. Has she forgotten I'm her fucking boss? Oh hell no is this going down today. This woman has issues man. Standing to face her, I clutch my fist together. I can't believe I was actually being kind to her. She doesn't deserve my kindness if she's going to be so rude and out of character.

"Am I missing something here Zara?" I chide.

"Yes, you are. All you've ever done is treat me like shit and ignore me. I honestly don't care that you're my employer right now, because you don't care and seem to forget I'm a human being...Just...I mean, Mr. Timberlake. It's not fair, you know? You're the boss; you should make sure your employees are comfortable and happy with their jobs. And guess what I'm not! And you're making it so much harder when you walk around here like you're the shit and just step over people crushing their confidence and self-esteem." She pauses to take in a deep breath and honestly, right now, my eyes are as wide as saucers. I've done all that to her? When did this happen? Holy shit. She's making me out to be some kind of monster.

"Look, I'm sorry...I'll just pack up my desk and leave or something. I honestly can't deal with working for you anymore." She laments and I can see the tears taking over her perfect hazel eyes.

Oh my god...what's happening? She's quitting now? Holy crap, did the universe just shift on me? I was just making a proposition. I thought she'd be thrilled, not explode like a ticking time bomb.

I still haven't said anything. I'm too shocked, as I see her walking to the exit.

 

 

Rushing over to the door, I grip unto her arm for her not to leave. Casting her gaze down to my hold, she finally locks eyes with me as I see a single tear roll down her cheeks. Ok, I'm seriously missing something here. Something just doesn't make sense. And, I hate to see women cry. Especially if I'm the cause. It makes me feel really low you know?

"Let me go." She mutters and I do just that. "What do you want form me?" She whines. "It's bad enough you always look down on me and size me up with disgust or something. And..."

"Stop it Zara!" I finally voice in a loud yell, startling her and myself. "You're mistaken ok? Listen; just consider the job offer please. I'd really like if you accepted it. The pay is ten times better and you won't be stuck in front of a desk whole day. You'll get to travel a lot. I can organize some training for you since you'll be new to the world of PAs. But all that's water under the bridge." I speak calmly as she keeps eyeing me. I guess she's trying to figure out if I'm being sincere or not. The truth is, seeing her cry makes me regret the way I've been treating her. She's right you know. I'm still shocked at how she just stood up to me but I guess I deserved it. I guess hearing her say that makes me realize that I'm a total jerk to not just her, but most of my employees.

"Look, Zara. I don't want you to quit and I'm not going to fire you. Just try to be more focused and stop daydreaming so much ok? And, uh, I guess this is my way of apologizing for being a jerk of a boss. But, try giving me your answer at the end of the day ok?" I smile and she finally smiles back at me. Thank god. I release a breath of relief. She's smiling now, I can deal with that. Plus, she has a sweet smile too.

Ok, maybe she should leave now. I'm paying way too much attention to her. Shit, I just fucking softened up my demeanor for her. But, I'm glad that my apology made her feel better. Still, what's wrong with this picture? I rarely ever apologize and I've done so with her on more than one occasion. I'll be damned if she has any type of effect on me what so ever.

"Ok Mr. Timberlake. And I'm sorry for my disrespect. It won't happen again." She turns to exit my office wiping at her face but I call out to her again.

"Zara..." I drift off, as I contemplate on my next statement. I could easily get bit in the ass for doing this but... "I'm having a cook out at my house on Friday. I'd like it if you came. It's just going to be close friends and family and a few executives from the office. You're invited to come. Hopefully, you'll accept the job offer and get to meet Yolanda." I notice her hesitancy so I continue talking. "Jeffery will be there, I know he's friends with you. Mallory will be there too and so will Tameka. You can mix with them and get to know them better." I add, clutching unto the door knob.

Fiddling with her nail tips...again...she bows her head in thought for a moment before she finally responds. "Ok Sir. You'll have to give me directions. Anyway, I'm going to head back down to my desk. Bye." She waves at me and begins to walk away not waiting for my reply.

Still looking at Zara's retreating form, I shake my head with a smile when I notice her swaying butt. Damn, it's still succulent though. What can I say? I'm a man for goodness sake.

Chuckling to myself, I head back into my office shutting the door, just in time to hear Mallory over the speaker phone letting me know that Jeremy Rowland is here to see me.

I tell her to send him up, and reclaim my seat loosening my tie around my neck as I lean back in my leather chair. On to more business...it just never ends. But I'm not complaining.

 

****

 

Ok, so my hands are trembling right now as I press the ground floor button in the elevator. I can't believe I just did that. And more importantly, I can't believe he didn't fire me for practically yelling him out.

What's come over me? It's like, I'm someone else. What's changed? Could it be that having to deal with Justin and his arrogant behavior is turning me into a ‘better person?' I mean, I'm definitely learning to stand up for myself more. The look on his face was priceless too. I think I rendered him speechless for a brief moment. But even after all that he apologized. It was bittersweet. I guess maybe he has some decent human emotions and felt bad.

But Damn it, I could never even think of pulling such a stunt again. I'd be fired for sure if I did. I guess I allowed everything to build up and just couldn't take it anymore. I kind of feel bad about it now but maybe he deserved it.

Taking in deep breaths to calm my nerves, the doors to the elevators open as I feel like I'm on the verge of passing out. My head is spinning so bad right now, but I've forgotten about that because I'm now face to face with Mallory who's rolling her eyes at me and....

"Jeremy?" I whisper a bit stunned to see him there. He looks even better all dressed up in his plaid shirt and long jeans. He lifts his sunglasses from his eyes allowing me to look into those spectacular light brown orbs.

"Hey girl! What are the odds?" He smiles, pulling me out of the elevators to give me a hug. Wow, I don't know you like that buddy...back up. Pushing away from his hold, I realize Mallory is staring at us intrigued by our interaction.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him curiously.

"About to go see Justin. You?" He inquires.

"I work here." I smile shyly. The truth is, I'm thinking I caught Justin on a good day, else he might have not taken so kindly to my outburst and fire me.

"Oh, that's great. Well, I'll definitely get back to you then. But I don't want to be late for my meeting so we'll see each other soon ok?" He grins, entering the elevators with Mallory behind. Damn, she's so annoying, with her tight clothes and high heels she can barely walk in.

Plastering a fake smile on my face, I nod for him and turn to walk away after he tells me ‘bye'.

Making it back to my desk I sit down with a huff and frown in thought. How do you analyze Justin's reaction towards me? And what's with that look he keeps giving me? I hate to say it, but it looks almost like there's some sort of desire or lust twinkling in his eyes. But that's impossible. If so, it couldn't be directed at me. I mean it's me. I'm just another employee to him. So why did he offer me that PA job? And, I'm wondering if I should take it. It might be good for me. I'm going to need Malcolm's advice on this. In the mean time, I just need to clear my mind and focus on my work. Shit, I have heap of documents to type up. Just perfect. I better get started then...

~~~~~~

So I had a wonderful day today. I went to lunch with Jeffery and sadly, it was just a friendly lunch date. But I didn't mind, because we got to know each other better and he really is a nice guy. I guess we're just not compatible. Well, it's cool with me. I can deal with that. I'm just packing up my stuff to leave for the day. It's already late, and I'm going to miss the Oprah show if I don't get home now. Yeah, I'm an Oprah fan. Who aren't these days?

Anyway, after shutting off my computer, I head out of the building and to the parking lot. Tossing my items in the back seat, I hop into the driver's side starting up the car to pull out of the parking lot. Only, the car won't start!

"Oh shit! Don't do this to me." I cry out, turning the key in the ignition only to have my Celica make a knocking noise. "Damn it!" I hit the steering wheel in frustration. "Please start." I try again, but this time I hear a loud bang before I see smoke ooze out from under the hood.

"Ahhhh Fuck!" I yell through frustration. "Just fucking great!" I belt, rubbing at my temples. I don't need this shit right now. I can't even call Malcolm because he's on duty today. Maybe I can call Jeffery?

Grabbing my cell out of my pocket, I flip the device open dialing Jeffery's number. After a few rings his voicemail picks up and I groan through frustration flipping the phone shut.

"You stupid Celica." I curse, getting out of the ride and slamming the door shut. Propping against my car, I rack my brain for an idea. Maybe I can call a cab. Yeah that would work....

 

 

"Jahzara?"

Hearing my name I whip around to be greeted by none other than Justin. Fantastic. Such a magnificent ending to a wonderful day...Damn it.

"Oh hey Mr. Timberlake." I reply meekly.

"Are you ok? Car trouble?" He asks, walking up to me with his keys dangling between his fingers.

"No. I'm fine." I lie, moving away from him.

"Really? Because your car is smoking." He arches his brows at me and I shrug.

"What do you want?" I ask politely. I really don't want to deal with him right now, especially after what happened this morning.

Ignoring my statement, he moves to the front of the car looking at me with a comical glare. "Pop the hood Zara." He instructs.

Skeptically, I do as I'm told as I watch him roll up his sleeves before he bends forward to check for the problem.

I know I should be grateful, but I'm still kind of embarrassed by how I behaved earlier. I'm just waiting for him to send me that pink slip stating they won't need my services anymore.

Finally closing the hood, he dusts his hands on his clothes and ambles over to me.

"Well," He scratches under the light stubble on his chin. "Your battery is dead, plus you didn't put any oil or battery water in the car. Which must have caused it to over heat, thus the smoke. This car isn't going anywhere unless it has a new battery." He adds with a light chuckle when I frown at him. "You don't know too much about vehicles do you?" He asks and I shake my head blushing slightly. "It's ok, most women don't." He laughs, rolling back down his sleeves. Well, that was nice of him I think. But I'm still stuck here.

"So..."

"Come on, I'll take you home and you can send the toe-truck tomorrow morning." He adds, cutting me off.

"I don't think that's a good idea." I quickly reply, as his face contorts with confusion. Does he not know how wrong this is? And why is he being so kind to me?

 

****

 

I'm just trying to help her out here. There's no need for the snooty attitude. Besides, it's getting late and everyone is clearing out. I don't want her waiting here for a cab all by herself. Wasn't she the one who said I should pay more attention to my employees' well being?

"It's ok Zara. I don't think anything is wrong with me helping out a fellow co-worker." I smile, but she's still serious just staring at me. I swear that freaks me the hell out. I have no idea what she's thinking. Maybe she's plotting my murder? That wouldn't be surprising. She seems to have some sort of problem with me.

"Fine..." She sighs, giving in, as she takes her belongings out of her car, locking it in the process.

Grinning, I lead her over to my Mercedes at the reserved parking section. Shutting off the alarm and unlocking the doors, she hops in and so do I, before I put the car in drive and peel out of the parking lot.

 

 

Switching lanes, we've been driving in silence for the past fifteen or so minutes with just the radio filtering through. It's on one of those R&B/Hip-Hop stations. I occasionally steal glances at Zara noticing that she's just staring out the window not saying anything.

I wonder what's going through her mind this very second. Shifting in my seat, I pull at my seat belt adjusting it over my chest. I swear those things are beyond irritating. Stopping at a red light, I listen intently as the radio DJ switches the track over to Jay Holiday's ‘Bed'.

"What the hell man?" I laugh loudly before groaning, causing Zara to divert her attention to me.

"What?" She asks me, darting her eyes to the dials on the radio.

"Nothing." I shrug, still smiling to myself, as I replay the night I danced with her at the club in my mind.

"You don't like the song? I think it's a sexy way of a guy telling his girl he loves her. Don't you?" She smiles at me and I briefly lock eyes with her noting the amusement on her face before I turn my attention back to the road.

Chortling, I shake my head agreeing with her. "I like it." I reply. But, if she only knew.

"Cool." And with that, her attention is back out the window again.

"So, care to tell me where I'm going?"

"Just get unto Kirkman and I'll direct you from there." She replies before I hear her cell go off.

I notice her grab the item from her bag scanning its contents before she puts it away.

"Great..." She mutters.

"Something wrong?" I inquire, finally getting unto Kirkman road.

"Just, my brother won't be home tonight. He's working a double shift." She mumbles.

I nod, not saying anything as I continue driving in silence.

"He's a police officer and I'm just always so scared for him that one day he won't come home." She rambles on.

So her brother's a cop? That's...heroic...I guess. "You live with him?"

"Yeah. Just the two of us." She seems sad or depressed now. I wonder where their parents are. It's cool though. They must be close. "Take a right here. It's right up the street." She directs me and I instantly turn at the next light.

We continue driving in silence, until she instructs me to pull up into some apartment complex. Wow, this is where she lives? What a dump. Well, maybe if she takes the PA job, she'll be able to afford somewhere better.

Shutting off the car at the front of the leasing office, I turn to look at her as she gathers her stuff opening the door to exit. "Thanks for the ride home Mr. Timberlake." She smiles, before she exits shutting the door.

"You're welcome Zara. Hey, did you make up your mind about the job offer?" I bend forward to look at her as she leans over the window in thought.

"I guess I'll take it. But I want to discuss it with my brother first."

"That's fine, just tell me your final decision and I'll have you sign those documents."

"Ok, well bye Mr. Timberlake. See you at work tomorrow." She waves at me as she moves away from the ride when I start it up again.

"Bye Zara....oh and Zara?" I call out to her retreating form. Turning to face me, she nods for me to continue. Sticking out my head from the window I grin at her. "Call me Justin from now on ok?" I state before I wink at her and drive out of the compound not waiting to see her reaction or hear a reply. If I'm right, she's probably still standing in that same spot as clueless as ever by my statement. Watching through the rear-view mirror I realize I'm right. Chuckling to myself, I shake my head as I turn up the radio pulling out of the complex and unto kirkman, so I can head home for a well deserved nap as Neyo's "You make me better" blasts through my speakers...

 

****

Quote by: Leo Buscaglia

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story