Author's Chapter Notes:
here's chapter 9, thanks for all of the reviews!
Nine

Ashlynn

"I promise that I will do everything I can to help you out David." I say into the phone while shaking my head.

As my new client David continues to yap away, I look out of my glass doors and into the art department. My secretary, Donna, is typing away at her computer while smiling and talking into her earpiece. The rest of the artists are moving about the floor, conversing, laughing and sipping on their Starbucks. I close my eyes and sigh a little when I zone back into David. I would do anything to just get this man to shut up.

"Mmmhmm, okay, I got you David. There is no reason to be worried, the artist assigned to your account will have something for you tomorrow, I promise... Okay... mhmmm... have a good day David... okay, buh-bye."

I drop the phone back on it's cradle and let out a breath, thank god. David is really starting to get on my last damn nerve. I glance at the clock and then turn back to my computer to check the rest of my appointments when Donna taps on the door. I wave her in and smile when I spot my boss standing at her desk.

"Jack would like to speak to you Ashlynn, are you free?"

"I am. Hey, did you hear from Brandon about the Leisureman account?"

"Not yet, but he sent me an email yesterday telling me that he would have it on my desk by noon today."

"When he stops by, tell him I want to see him please." I say.

"Will do, I'll go get Jack."

A few seconds later, I stand up and reach out my hand when Jack steps into my office. He smiles widely at me and shakes my hand, "How is my new head of the art department doing?"

"Just fine Jack, how are you doing?"

"Just fine darling, just fine. I just wanted to come by and congratulate you."

I turn my head to the side a little and smile, "Congratulate? For what?"

"Well, in the short time you've been here you have really done a lot. We are more productive now, than we've ever been in the last ten years and that's all because of you. We would like to offer you a partner position in the company."

My mouth is literally agape right now, partner? He wants me to be partner? "Are you serious?" I ask.

He smiles again, "Yes, you are the biggest asset to this company and we don't want to loose you. I know that you like being hands on and that you like being involved with the clients so you would still be head of the art department. The only difference would be that your last name would be on the building and you'd be making a whole lot more money."

"Oh my god, I'm... I'm in shock. Thank you so much Jack."

"Well, what do you say?"

"Of course, yes, I would love to be partner."

"Wonderful, I'll set up a time with Donna to come back and get you all set up okay? Congratulations again."

We shake hands again and I can't wipe the grin off of my face, "Thank you so much Jack."

After Jack makes his exit, I plop back down into my chair. I'm going to be partner. I'm going to be partner at the number one advertising firm in the country. I can't believe it. I grab up the phone and dial a familiar telephone number.

"This is Chris."

"Baby?" I say, smiling.

"Hey Ash, what's going on honey?"

"You are never going to guess what just happened to me."

"What happened?"

"Jack just offered me partner."

"Are you serious? That's great babe!"

"I know, I haven't even been here a year and he's already offered me partner. I'm just floored right now."

"Well congratulations Ashlynn, we're gonna have to celebrate when you get home aren't we?"

A devilish smile spreads across my face, "What do you have mind?"

"You're just going to have to wait and see. I don't have very many deliveries left so I'll make it home before you tonight."

"Are you gonna cook me dinner?"

"You have to wait and find out. I've gotta go baby, love you."

"Love you."

I hang up the phone and smile a little more. Oh that man of mine. I know you're wondering about what happened after we left the beach. We had that little fight and I had my breakdown but we talked about it and we're over it. Actually saying goodbye to Justin, helped out a lot. I don't feel like I owe him anymore. Shit, I've barely thought about him since we've been back. That's a good sign right? Oh, and I've quit seeing Jackie, you know, my therapist. I've been paying her out the ass and I realized that she wasn't doing anything to help the situation. I mean, throwing flowers out into the ocean? That was a bunch of bullshit.

I try to return to my work but can't, I'm too excited and i'm supposed to meet Olivia for lunch in like, thirty minutes. I shut down my computer, close my laptop and throw it into my bag. I grab my suit jacket from the back of the chair and walk out of my office and over to Donna.

"I'm gonna call it a day Donna. When you see Brandon, pencil him in for tomorrow afternoon and just push the rest of my appointments until tomorrow."

"Okay boss, consider it done." She smiles.

"That's why I love you Donna."

"Don't I know it. Congratulations on making partner boss."

"Thanks girl and don't call me boss. It makes me sound old."

She laughs, "Sorry, have a nice day."

"Call me if anything comes up." I call to her as I walk toward the elevator.

I'm really hoping that she won't call me.

-----------***-----------

"They want you to be partner?! Holy shit Ash, that's huge!" Olivia says with a wide smile on her face.

"I know. I could barely contain myself, I called Chris as soon as Jack was out of my office."

"Aww, how cute." She whines as she stuffs more lettuce into her mouth.

I smile at her and start to concentrate on my meal when my phone rings, "Hello?"

"Boss?"

"Donna, don't call me boss."

"Sorry, Ashlynn, I have to ask you a question."

"Go ahead."

"I've got a potential client on the phone wanting to schedule an appointment but I'm checking everyone's schedules and they all have projects. I was wondering if maybe you would like to take this one."

I take a sip of water before I answer, "What are they looking for?"

"He's looking for the whole package. He says that they would like a new logo and lots of local advertising."

"What business are they in?"

"Automotive Repair."

"Do you even realize that I'm still here?" Olivia says loudly.

I shush her and roll my eyes, "Real mature. Donna?"

"Yes ma'me?"

"I'll take 'em. Pencil them in for me for tomorrow afternoon, around one or two okay?"

"Will do, that's all that I needed."

"Okay, hey, you can hold down the fort for me for the rest of the afternoon right? I think I'm gonna call it a day." I say.

"Sure thing, I'll see you tomorrow Ashlynn."

"Bye Donna."

I flip my phone shut and return it to my purse, while ignoring Olivia's death stare, "What the hell was so important that she had to call you on your lunch?"

"She got a call about some potential customers and all of the other agents are full at the moment. She was asking if I wanted to take their account personally."

"Well excuse me, miss thang. You get your last name glued onto the side of a building and you think you're the shit."

"Shut up!" I laugh and launch a little forkful of salad at her.

She dodges my assault and gives me a cold stare, "So what kind of account did you just take on?"

"I didn't much details, just that they want a new logo and need lots of local advertising."

"Cool, what kind of business are they in?"

"Automotive Repair."

She nods in agreement and takes another bite of her sandwich, "You know what would suck?"

"What that?" I ask.

"If it turned out to be Trace and you-know-who."

I roll my eyes and sigh loudly, causing her to erupt in laughter, "I think we've had enough run in's lately. I don't ever want to see either of them again." I say, leaning back into my chair.

"Just because his girlfriend called you a cunt?" She laughs even more.

"That's right, just because his bitch ass girlfriend slut called me a cunt. Skinny bitch, she doesn't know who she's fuckin' with, I'll beat a bitch down. I was raised in New York for half of my life, California hasn't changed my ghetto ways."

"I'm with you Ash, you just need to forget about it and move the hell on. You've got a good man now that takes care of you and a best friend that loves your ass. You don't need anything else."

"Well thank you Olivia. If this new account does turn out to be Trace and you-know-who, I'm gonna kill you."

"Me?" She asks with wide eyes, "Why me?"

"Because you jinxed me just now!"

"Oh puh-lease."

I laugh it off and we continue with our afternoon. When I get home that night, I walk into a dining room table full of good ass food. Two candles are lit and a congratulations card sits atop one of the dishes. My gorgeous boyfriend walks through the kitchen and into the dining room where he supplies me with one of his sweet smiles and pulls out my chair.

Lucky me.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story