Author's Chapter Notes:
here's 10, hope you like and thanks for all of the reviews!
Ten

Ashlynn

I feel good today. I'm looking damn good, I think I've lost a few pounds too. Chris saw me off this morning, not having to go in until late afternoon. The only reason I'm even at the office is because of this new account. Half the time, I can email my work or just call Donna from my big, beautiful couch but alas, today is not one of those days. I nod at a few of the artists who are busy chatting to their clients and working on their designs.

I settle into my office and get to work researching some other graphics that I did for some other auto shops so I have something to show these new guys. I loose myself in my research because when I look up again, it's one forty-five. I've got fifteen minutes to print this stuff off and get it into a nice portfolio. I call out to Donna to get me a binder and keep watching the clock.

At two o'clock on the dot, Donna chimes my office, letting me know that my new clients are waiting outside. I stand up and throw on my jacket and tell her to send them in. I hear her telling them to follow her and I look down to catch a glimpse at my appearance. Shit, one of my buttons are broken. Donna opens the door as I'm still fiddling with my button and calls out to me.

"Ms. Summers, here are Trace Ayala and Justin Timberlake, your two o'clock."

I freeze when the names leave her mouth. Surely she's playing with me. Yeah, she's just fucking around, I mean, I think I've told her about Justin. Fuck, I haven't told her anything about Justin. I raise me head slightly and meet four eyes that are just as wide as mine. Trace's mouth is wide open, like he's just seen a girl strip naked in front of him. My eyes slowly drift over to the pair that I'm most familiar with and he has that same expression as Trace. Donna obviously see's that something is quite wrong and quickly glances between myself and the two men.

"Ashlynn?" She says, her voice shaking.

I swallow harshly and let my mouth fall agape like Justin's and Trace's. What the fuck is going on here? How-why are they- holy fucking shit!

"Ashlynn, are you okay?" Donna says, walking over to me and putting her hand on my back, "Do you need some water or something? I don't understand what's going on?" She says looking back at Justin and Trace, who haven't moved since they walked into my office.

I open my mouth to speak but nothing comes out. I put my hand to my face and shake my head a little to break my body out of this shock, "Donna, come with me please."

I bolt passed Justin and Trace without making contact with my frazzled secretary behind me. Once we are outside my office and around the corner, I lean up against the wall and let out a shaky breath. Isn't it crazy how such a good day can turn south so quickly? Someone always so shit on my parade.

"Ashlynn, what the hell is going on? You look like you've seen a ghost!"

"Donna, I can't do this account."

She looks at me like I'm crazy, "What are you talking about, you haven't even talked to them yet."

I shake my head to affirm my point, "You don't understand, I cannot do this account, you have to find someone else."

"We don't have anyone else! You are the only one with the time to handle this account, and plus, they said they wanted the best and that's you. Why are you freaking out?" She half-screams at me.

"I know those two guys and I just-"

"So what if you know them? That should make the job easier, shouldn't it?"

"Not if I've had sex with one of them."

That must have really gotten her goat because she gives me a look that I can't really describe. It's like the deer caught in headlights look but with a twinge of confusion and desperation, "What?" she finally says.

"The one guy is my ex-boyfriend and let me just put it this way, it didn't end all that well." I say, closing my eyes and clutching my stomach.

"Oh my god," She says covering her mouth with her hand, "What- What do you wanna do about it? I'll tell them that you can't do it for... personal reasons."

"No!" I scream, "I- I don't want him to think that I'm weak or anything. I just... I don't know, let me think for a minute."

After a few minutes, she asks me quietly, "Was the cute one your boyfriend? The tall one?"

I don't open my eyes but slam my head into the wall three times, "Yes." I say lowly.

After a few more seconds, Donna says, "You have good taste."

"Donna! Now is not the time! Jesus, I'm fucked." I say.

"Sorry." She says.

"You know what? I'm better than this," I say, getting off of the wall and straightening myself, "I am an adult and I can handle this. I mean, I can't let personal reasons get in the way of making this company some money right?"

"Right." Donna agrees, shaking her head.

"Right, I'm a big girl, I- I- I can do this. I won't let him do this to me."

"Exactly, you are strong and you- you can get through this." Donna says, reassuring me.

"I am an adult, I can handle this, I just have to stay calm."

"Yep, just stay calm."

"Okay, I'm going back in. Do I look okay?" I ask her.

"You look beautiful Ashlynn."

"Yeah but do I look professional?"

"Yes. You look professional and beautiful." She says with wide eyes.

"Great."

I take a deep breath and then turn quickly on my heel. I walk back over to my door but my hand just won't reach up to the handle to open the door. I curse myself a little and shake out my hands and reach for the handle. Right before my palm comes in contact with the metal, I turn to run for this hills.

"I can't do this." I say, running straight into Donna.

"Yes you can! You are an adult remember? You don't want him to think that he still has control over you, go in there and do your thing!"

I shake my head no, "Donna-"

"No buts, march!" She says.

I whine a little and she pushes the door open for me, pushing me into the room. Trace and Justin still haven't sat down and jump a little when I'm thrust back into the room. When Justin lands his big eyes on me again, he looks away quickly and looks at Trace, desperately wanting Trace to do something. I walk between the two and back over to my desk and place my palms on the desk to keep myself from collapsing.

"What the fuck?" Trace says out of nowhere, looking at Justin.

"Ditto." I say dryly, looking down at the paperwork on my desk.

"Why are you here?" Trace asks.

"I work here idiot, what in the hell are you doing here?"

"We wanted some damn advertising but I think we are just gonna dip out and go somewhere else. Come on Jay."

"No, wait a minute," I say, "Please sit down."

"You know, that's really not necessary, we're just gonna-" Trace starts but I cut him off.

"No, please have a seat. I wanna say something."

It takes them a minute but they walk up to the two empty chairs that are sitting in front of my glass desk. They sit down by don't make eye contact. I clear my throat and keep my attention on Trace, "Listen, we are all adults here right? You guys need some advertising and we are the best firm in the country. Let's just put aside our differences and totally focus on the business aspect."

"You're not implying that you actually are going to work with us? After everything we've been through?" Justin speaks up, "I'm sorry but that is just to weird."

"I know, but like I said, we are adults and if you are willing to work with me on a business level, then I am willing to work with you on a business level."

"No, we are just gonna go some place else." Justin says, standing up, "Uh, thanks for your time."

"Don't be so childish, okay? Did you hear anything I just said?" I say.

He hardens his eyes at me, "Yes I did hear what you said. Am I telling you, that I don't want you working or being anywhere around me, got it?"

I scoff, "Fine, then you deal with someone else. But I guarantee you that you won't get half of your moneys worth if you don't go with me. But if you want to act like a five year old-"

"I'm not acting like a five year old. I am perfectly capable of being an adult, I just don't want you to get the wrong idea, I'm with Kim now."

I scoff again, "Did I say anything about her? I said that if you are willing to be professional and get down to business, I'm your woman. This is will a business relationship only, and once we're finished, we're finished." I say.

He stares at me with a disgusted look on his face but he can tell that I'm trying to be the better person. He can tell that I'm playing an ego game and that if he doesn't stand up, he'll loose. And, because I still know him like the back of my hand, he accepts and wants to play my little ego game, "Fine, you're hired, Ms. Summers."

"Wait, what?" Trace says, staring into the side of Justin's face.

Justin ignores him and outstretches his hand to me, "Business partners?" He says.

I take his hand and shake it roughly, "Business partners. If you'll step outside and speak to Donna, she'll set you up with another appointment sometime next week and we'll get started. Please, bring any suggestions or ideas that you think of between now and then Mr. Timberlake."

"I will." He grabs a card off of my desk and slips it into his back pocket, "We'll see you next week Ms. Summers."

"Until then, Mr. Timberlake and Mr. Ayala. Have a good day." I add with a smile on my face.

Trace is still as lost as ever as they walk out of my office. I fall into my chair and hold my breath as my mind goes over what just happened.

What in the hell have I just gotten myself into? I grab my phone and dial the familiar number.

"This is Olivia."

"I'm going to kill you, you jinxed me!" I say, running my fingers through my hair.

"What? Ashlynn?"

"Remember what you said to me yesterday? About Justin and Trace?"

"Yeah, but I was just- no fucking way!" She says.

"Yes, fucking way, Justin fucking Timberlake and Trace Ayala are my new clients."

"Oh shit! I'm a jinx, aren't I?"

"Yeah, fuck you." I say, harshly into the phone.

"I'm coming over after work. And fuck you." She says right before she hangs up on me.

Bitch. I should have known yesterday, as soon as the damn words left her mouth that I should have punched her. I might still punch her, you know, just for fun. To make me feel better.

-----------***-----------

Justin

I set up the appointment with Ashlynn's cute ass secretary Donna and ignore Trace's questions until we are out of earshot.

"Why in the hell did you just do that Justin? Why in the fuck would you want to work with her?"

"Because Trace, she's playing a game. She wants us to see how well she's doing and how I don't effect her anymore. If she wants to play, we'll play."

"That was the stupidest thing you have ever done in your life, do you know that? Do you know how hard it is going to be having to be with Ashlynn all of the goddamn time? And Kim is not going to be very happy when she finds out that you are working with your ex-girlfriend."

"No she won't, I'll make her understand."

He scoffs and throws in his hands in the air as we walk into the elevator, "And how are you going to do that dick face?"

"Like I said earlier, If Ashlynn wants to play games, then we'll play right back."

Trace shakes his head and crosses his arms over his chest, "You've fucking lost it, you know that? You've just made our lives a living hell."

I'm not worried, I'm ready to play. Ashlynn has already stepped up to the plate, I just have to throw her some curve balls and show her whose boss.

Round One had officially begun.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story