Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry it took me so long, i've been quite busy with work and school. but here it is, tell me what you think.
Fourteen

Ashlynn

"Trace, Justin, how are you guys?" I greet them with a smile as they file into my office.

"We are tremendous, how are you?" Justin says, shaking me hand a little before sitting down.

I smile widely at him and sit down myself, "I'm wonderful, thank you."

Trace's wide eyes glance between the two of us as that what-the-fuck-is-going-on look takes over his features, "What the fuck is going on with you two? One minute you can't stand each other, the next you're smiling all up in each others faces."

"Well, we talked a little, and we decided to be nice to each other." I say, swaying back and forth a little in my chair.

"Fuckin' crazy asses." he mumbles.

I giggle a little, "Anyway, let's get down to business, shall we? Did you guys like my last proposal?"

"We did actually, the logo is exactly what we wanted and the color scheme is perfect, right?" Justin says, glancing over at Trace.

Trace nods and I smile, "Good, so if it's okay with you guys, I'll send it to the artistic team and they'll start on your new pamphlets and books, and then we'll get a bid to see how much a new sign will cost."

"That sounds great. How long do you think that'll take?" Trace asks.

"The pamphlets and books will depend, how many did you say you wanted?" I ask while flipping through some pages in their file, "5,000 pamphlets and books, right?"

"Yeah." They say in unison.

"Umm... probably like three or four weeks. Once they make the very first copy, I'll send it you so you can approve it and then everything will go from there. And then the sign will probably take the same amount of time once we get the bid."

They nod and talk a bit amongst themselves for a second, "That sounds great. You have anything for us to sign?"

"Not yet, in a couple of days I'll have all of that. I'll just fax it to you."

"And we'll be sending a business check in the next couple days. So I guess that wraps everything up then?" Justin asks while standing and reaching out his hand.

"Yep, it was great seeing you guys again."

"You too. How's Chris?"

"He's fine, thanks, and Kim?"

He grins and lets go of my hand, "Wonderful, thanks."

"Alrighty, well, I'll talk to you guys soon, okay? Have a nice day guys."

Trace smiles a bit and then shakes my hand as well, "You too girl. Bye."

I wave one last time, then sit back down and start to scribbles notes on their folder. Once, I'm finished, I shut the manila folder, and shove it back in it's place in my desk. That was actually bearable, wasn't it? Justin and I acting civil toward each other? He was right, we can be friends and Chris and Kim shouldn't have anything to do with that. And then When the time is right, maybe Justin and I could re-introduce ourselves to our significant others and we could start out on the right foot.

Yeah, that sounds nice.

-----------***-----------

A couple days later, as I'm walking out of the office after a long ass day, Donna stops me with the copies of Justin and Trace's pamphlets, the bid from the sign guy, and all of the other paperwork. I thank her, and toss the folder under my arm as I make my way out to my car. I stop by the grocery store on my way home and then make the rest of the trek to my driveway.

After making a couple of trips from the car to the kitchen, I've finally gotten everything unloaded. I let Emma outside and listen to my messages, as I kick out of my shoes and start to unload the grocery bags.

"Hey babe, it's Chris. I'm just calling to let you know that I made it to Vegas and that I'll be thinking about you all weekend. I'll see you Tuesday, love you."

I smile at the message as the machine beeps and then cuts off. My man loves me. I pick up the phone and am about to call him when my eyes land on Justin and Trace's folder on the counter. I should probably call Justin before I forget or the papers get all chewed up by Emma. I search through my blackberry for Justin's number and then I dial as the water for my asparagus begins to boil.

"This is Justin."

"Hey, it's Ashlynn."

"Hey girl, how are you?"

"I'm good, how are you?"

"Wonderful. What's up?"

"Well, I just wanted to let you know that the art department printed off the first copy of your pamphlet and I have the bid for your new sign."

"Awesome, did you fax them already?"

"No, not yet. Donna handed them to me right as I was walking out. I was calling to see if you wanted me to drop them off to you?"

"Umm, no, that's fine. I could swing by and pick them up if that's okay? I have to drive up to San Diego this weekend anyway."

"Are you sure? I could just leave them with Trace?" I say, stirring the asparagus and then shoving the port chops into the oven.

"No, no it's fine. I have to be in San Diego by the morning so I was gonna leave tonight anyway. You said you live in Crescent Hills, right?"

"Yep, 1435 Sallinger Street."

"Good deal. Okay, I just gotta finish packing and then I should be through in Long Beach in like an hour, is that okay?"

I nod, "Yep, that's perfect. I'll see you soon."

"Okay Ash, see you soon."

We hang up and resume cooking dinner and changing into some more comfortable clothes. About an two hours later, I glance at the clock and then stare back at the TV. It's not the long of a drive from Los Angeles to Long Beach, and when Justin says he'll be somewhere in an hour, he's there in an hour. But since we talked on the phone, it started raining cats and dogs. Apparently Hurricane Gustav is moving from the ocean to inland. Maybe is traffic.

But then, another hour passes and still no word from Justin. I get up from my place on the coach and move to the kitchen. It's still raining like crazy and the trees are being whipped around like rag dolls in all of the wind. I walk back into the living room and change the channel to the weather station. I'm starting to get worried, what if he was in an accident or something? Damn it, I should have just dropped the folder off on my way home.

I grab the phone and begin to dial his cell when the doorbell rings. I drop the phone like it's a hot potato and race to the door. I throw it open and gasp when I get a glimpse of the drenched Justin, "Oh my god, what happened to you?" I say, as I usher him inside and take his bag from him.

"My piece of shit fucking car decided to just fucking break down on me on Wilshire. I've been out in the fucking rain for two goddamn hours trying to get the piece of shit to start again."

"Why didn't you call me? I would have come to pick you up. You are drenched." I say, running to the linen closet to grab him a towel.

"I did. The phone rang once before it fucking died on me."

I jog back over to him and wrap one of the towels around his shoulders. I hand him a second one and he begins to dry himself. I rub his back a little and realize that he's shaking, "Your shaking, you need to take a hot shower and get out of those wet clothes before you freeze to death."

"Are you sure, I don't want to get in your way." He says.

"Of course, you can't stay in those clothes all night. Come with me."

I walk Justin through the house and into my bathroom, "I'll heat up some left overs for you okay? Just take your time."

"Okay, thanks Ash."

"It's no problem."

I shut the bathroom door behind me and wait a few minutes before going back in and picking up his wet clothes. I throw them in the dryer before walking back into the kitchen and digging through the refrigerator for the left overs. I glance down at Emma, who is staring up at me with those big brown eyes of hers.

"It's okay honey, he's a nice man."

About twenty minutes later, Justin emerges from my bedroom in a baby blue Carolina Panthers hoodie, and gray sweatpants. He smiles softly and runs a hand through his short curls as he walks into the kitchen and sits at the bar.

"Feel better?" I ask, as I pull the food from the oven.

"Much. Thanks again."

"It's no problem." I say, focusing on spooning out a portion of each dish onto his plate.

"Do you think you could drive me to a hotel for the night? I figured the rain will probably clear up by the morning and I can get someone to look at my car."

I push the plate of food in front of him and turn around to grab him a glass, "You can stay here if you want. It's so nasty and dark outside and you'll catch a cold if you go back out in it. I'll make up the guest room for you."

"No, I don't want to put you out."

"It's really no problem. Please, just stay. It'll make me feel better." I say, pouring him a glass of apple juice, his favorite.

He takes a bite of his port chop and guzzles down the juice before looking back up at me with those crystal blue eyes, "Are you sure it's no problem?"

"I'm positive."

"Okay, thank you."

"You're welcome."

We talk as I bustle around the kitchen and living room, cleaning up and washing dishes as he eats. And to think that just one week ago, we were fighting like a cat and mouse. But now, the rooms are filled with our laughter and voices, like nothing has even happened between us. He gets up from his seat and walks around the bar and places his plate and silverware into the water.

"Here, I'll wash it." I say, going to grab for it.

"No, no, I got it. You sit."

He bumps me with his hip and I swat at him a little before walking back into the living room and plopping down on the couch. A few seconds later, Justin walks in behind me and sits down.

"She's cute, what's her name?" He says, scratching Emma behind the ear.

"Emma. How's Marty?"

"Oh he's great. He's gotten so big." He chuckles.

"I know, he did look big when I saw him on the beach that day."

He grunts a little and continues to play with Emma, "Oh fuck, I should Kim, she's probably worried. Do you mind?"

I shake my head, "No, not at all. I'll uh, make up your room while your on the phone with her so you can have some privacy."

"Thank Ash. Thanks for everything, really."

I smile as I stand from the couch, "Stop thanking me. That's what friends are for right?"

Well, Hurricane Gustav was not the only storm that blew through town that weekend. I was just too ignorant to see it coming.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story