One

Ashlynn

"Why don't you put on the high heels with the capris?" Olivia asks ask she pulls up her pants in my bedroom.

"I was going to but I like these a lot better." I say, eyeing myself in the mirror.

"Whatever," She huffs, walking into the bathroom and standing next to me, "I ran into Trace the other day."

"Really? What did he have to say?"

"Not much as usual, Elisha did all of the talking."

"So what did she have to say then?"

"Her and Trace pushed back the wedding date again, the puppy that they bought with you guys is doing great and that Trace still blames you for Justin's meloncholy attitude."

"Of course he does. You know, I really thought that he of all people would understand why I did this. But, whatever you know? I can't let him ruin my new self-esteem."

"Justin is his best friend, you know how that goes. I just told Elisha that you were doing great and that you had to do whatever was necessary to get back to the old you. She seemed to understand."

I sigh, "She was always a great person to talk to, I wonder what the hell she see's is Trace's grungy ass?"

Olivia giggles, "I don't know either. Okay, are we ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be."

We finished primping ourselves and then head out to this little bar that sits right on the beach. The spot is already full of people as we park her truck. We start making our way to the entrance as some drunk patrons begin calling out to us. As much as women say we don't like that, we do, well, I do anyway. We find to seats at the bar and put in our orders, checking out the prime suspects for our next victims.

"Ooh, look at that guy in the jeans, he's cute ass shit girl." Olivia says.

I scoff, "Are we looking at the same guy cuz I'm not seeing cute at all."

"Oh come on. Okay, how about... oh, that guy in khaki's standing over in the corner?"

I look over to where she's mentioned and roll my eyes, "Ah... no."

She give's me that menacing looking she is famous for giving, "Why are you being so damn picky?"

"I'm a picky woman."

She scoffs at my remark, "Since when?" If she was standing up, she would have her hand on her hip and her neck would be rolling back and forth. I know her entirely to well.

"Since I've reformed myself. I'm not just going to settle with some deadbeat anymore, I am going to set standards."

"You mean, your going to set impossible standards."

I take a sip of my martini, "Not true. They are perfectly attainable."

"Only Justin can attain those standards."

Her comment catches me off guard, damn, that kinda came out of nowhere didn't it? "What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean." She stares at me.

I let out a sigh, I was really hoping that this night didn't end up like this. I knew she would start some shit with me, I just fucking knew it, "I'm going to take a walk."

I get up and walk out before she can get in another word and start walking down the street. I hear heavy footsteps behind me and then her hand on my shoulder, "Slow down." She says.

"Speed up."

If you know me, which you should be now, you know I'm pissed. I'm supossed to be getting over all of that stuff you know? If I want to move on with my life, I can't keep thinking about Justin and letting him and our past relationship get in the way. Ugh.

"You know I'm right Ash."

"Yes I do."

"Then why do you do it if you don't love him anymore?" I shrug my shoulders.

"Do you still love him?" She asks.

I stop dead in my tracks and look at her, "No."

She stares right back at me, "You're lying."

"Then why did you ask me that?"

"Becasue Ashlynn, I want you to be happy. I know you want to move on and get a new life but you can't do that if you keep holding on to him. You have to make up your mind, I mean, babe, you are half way there. Why not just go the distance?"

I shake my head slowly, "I can't let him go again. I feel like he's the only guy that has ever truley loved me. I can't just let that go." I say quietly.

"You did the rose thing didn't you?" She asks.

"Yes but what the hell does that mean? Nothing, that dumb exercise doesn't mean shit about anything. Maybe i'm not ready for all of this-"

She holds up her hand, "Don't start that old shit, Ashlynn. You know you are ready for a new life, you deserve it. You have to let all of that go, including Justin. You have to."

I start walking slowly with her right by my side, "I know I do. I really do, and I will."

She throws her arm around me shoulder, "Good attitude. Now we just gotta get you a man so you can forget about Mr. Justin Timberlake."

"Who am I going to find in Long Beach? There is nothing but surfers and drunks in this town." I laugh.

"Well shit, there's gotta be somebody that's descent here. I'll find one for you. I swear, once I'm done with this city, you won't think twice about Timberlake."

"Who?"

-----------***-----------

Justin

"So, I hear you had a date with Kim last night?"

I groan at the sound of his voice and shut my eyes, "No thanks to you asshole."

He grabs the chair in front of my desk and plops down into it, "What is your deal? Kim is cute as hell, she cooks for you, hangs on your every word, she's that ideal girl."

"She's not my ideal girl Trace. I don't want a girl who hangs on to my every word." I continue working on the budget, not making eye contact.

"You better hit that shit before someone else does man. She's cute as fuck."

"Yeah, you keep saying that." I sigh.

"You can't keep-"

"I can't keep what Trace? I can't keep thinking about Ashlynn? I can't keep wishing and hoping that she'll just walk back into my life? Last time I checked, you weren't my mother. I can do and think and wish and hope about anything I want to. Kim is not going to change that."

It gets quiet between us for a while and then he sighs quietly, "I know that but I hate seeing you like this man. I mean, look at what she did to you man. She left you a fucking note and just left you high and dry and hasn't looked back since."

"She had a lot on her mind."

"And you make excuses for her! She doesn't deserve your attention like this, she's probably fucking some other dude right now without a second thought for you."

I throw my pen down and slam my fist on the desk, "Don't talk about her like that." I say lowly, staring at him with fire in my eyes.

He rolls his eyes and looks off into the corner, "You can be made at me all you want but that's not going to change the fact that she's not coming back. She's a fucking cunt Justin and you know it."

"I am sick and fucking tired of you coming down on her all the time. She had a hard life man, she killed a man for me! She killed him so he wouldn't kill me! You just don't understand-"

I cut my sentence off when Kim appears around the corner with a bright smile on her face. When she sences the tense atmosphere, the smile drops from her face and she takes a step back out of the room, "Am I interrupting you guys? I can come back." Her southern drawl is filled with concern.

"No, we were just talking. I was just about to leave Kim." Trace says, not taking his eyes off of me as he walks out of the room.

Kim watches him leave and then turns back to me, "Are you okay? You look angry."

I sigh, "I'm fine."

"Are you sure, you look-"

"Kim, I'm fine okay? Just leave it alone." It comes out a little more forceful than I wanted it to be but it get's the point across.

She looks down at her folded hands, "Okay, i'll just umm.. I'll give you a call later. I'm sorry I bothered you Justin."

She starts to walk away but something inside of me stops her, "Wait a minute." She keeps walking, causing me a jog a bit to catch up with her. I grab her arm and twist her around to face me. Tears shine in her bright blue eyes and regret fills my body, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell at you like that. I'm just stressed out girl, I'm sorry. Don't cry."

I pull her into my chest and rub her back as she composes herself. A few minutes, she looks up at me and smiles, pulling away from me, "I just wanted to come by and say that I had a good time with you last night. I really enjoy spending time with you Justin."

I usually wouldn't lie but I don't to hurt her feelings, "I had a great time too. Thanks for cooking for me."

A smile comes over her face and she puts her head down, "It's no problem, I'll cook for you whenever you want me too."

Before I can even stop myself, the words are flying out of my mouth, "How about tomorrow night then? I'll take you out to dinner, to make it even." I regret them as soon as my mouth stops moving.

"Okay." She says smiling once again, "Pick me up at eight?"

"Sure thing." I say nodding me head.

"Okay then, see you tomorrow."

I raise my hand to wave as she walks back over to her car, "See you then."

Within minutes, she pulls out of the garage and I walk back into my office, slamming the door shut. I sit back in my chair and hold my head in my hands, what am I getting myself into? I can barely get through the day as it is, and now I'm trying to add another woman into the mix. Oh god, if you can hear me, please just kill me now. I can already feel trouble brewing, just take me out of my mysery now before it's too late.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story