Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Today was my first day off and I sat there drumming my fingers on the counter to the kitchen I stood at, my sidekick was right next to me with my mom’s phone number lit up but not pushed in to be called.

Thinking about last night I smiled a little bit, we went to a movie after eating and it was weird walking in with everyone else and sitting in the middle of the theater, we had gone to see Simpsons and it was a riot, I remembered how surreal it felt as I walked behind her hold her hand as we walked through the crowd of the people getting out of the movie, and no one said a word.

“I could get use to this,” I said and looked at the phone again with a sigh, I couldn’t not call her if I didn’t my mom would end up trying to hunt me down.

Looking up at the time on the microwave I ran a hand through over my hair.

I pushed send into my phone and placed it on speaker phone.

“Justin,” I heard a voice, “Trace,” I said as my voice went dry, “Where the fuck are you, your mom and me and everyone are worried sick,” he said with anger in his voice and I knew I deserved it.

“Look Trace, I don’t know how to say it but just, my life got to me, I couldn’t be Justin Timberlake anymore,” I said.

“You can’t’ be what, Justin come on now you can’t just quit being who you are, you have deals, meetings you can’t back,” he started to say till I interrupted him.

“TRACE, that’s exactly what I mean, I can’t handle it, this was the only sane alterative I came up with,” I said and cringed when he said.

“SANE, Justin there isn’t nothing sane about this, you ran away and; what did you do,” He asked.

“I changed my name and got a job a couple miles away,” I said.

“How did you do that,” he asked.

“I made a deal with the people who ran the company,” I said and heard Trace groan.

“Justin you need to come home,” he said and shook my head than realized he couldn’t see me.

“No, Trace I can’t put my mom on the phone,” I said.

“Justin baby,” I heard her voice.

“Mama, I’m sorry but I need to be away right now, I can’t’ explain,” I started to mumble but jumped when she said, “It's ok baby, just knowing your ok it’s ok, take your time but please call me and let me know your safe,” she said.

“Thank you,” I smiled.

I hadn’t told them anything about where I’ve been or what I was exactly doing, and I could tell when Trace didn’t want to talk anymore he was pissed and I guess I could understand it was sort of like I had just abandoned him and our friendship.

With a sigh I was about to sit on the couch when my house phone rang.

“Hello,” I asked.

“Jason,” I heard her voice.

“Michelle, hey,” I smiled but cringed when I heard her use the name.

“You wanna get some ice cream and come with me to an Angel’s game,” she asked.

“Sure,” I said with a smile and somehow I knew either way it went this trip would prove to be interesting.

I told her I’d pick her up in an hour after she gave me directions and then hung up. Looking at my sidekick and then the house phone I realized I made sure she got that number and not my sidekick because I didn’t need to keep my sidekick on me just in case.

Turning it off I placed it in the kitchen drawer, this life was getting more complicated the more I looked at it, but something told me this was all worth it.

--

“Hey batter, batter you’re just a belly itcher,” I sang under my voice and I saw Jason looked up at me weirdly.

“A belly itcher,” he asked.

“Yea look,” I said pointing to a guy warming up whom than scratched his stomach, making him laugh.

“You got a point,” he said.

“I always do, “I shrug and pulled my bag on to my lap and handed him a bag of jelly beans and then pulled out some circus peanuts.

“You brought food to a baseball game,” he asked.

“Well not cotton candy or ice cream or hot dogs or burgers,” I felt Jason’s hand go over my mouth.

“I get it,” he said with a roll of his eyes and then he moved his hand away and I smiled at him really big.

“You're crazy, girl,” he stated with a laugh as he popped a couple Jelly beans into his mouth.

“Crazy is as crazy does,” I shrugged and he laughed again.

--

It was about the fifth inning when I felt someone staring at me, looking over my shoulder I saw no one and then looking in front of me I saw no one, even when I was just me I never really felt like this, shaking the feeling I took the hotdog Michelle got as she took the other one from the vendor with the sodas too.

“I thought you carried everything in there,” I said pointing to her bag that sat between her feet on the ground.

“I told you what I didn’t have earlier,” she said.

“You didn’t tell me you didn’t have soda,” I said as I took a sip of my sprite.

“You didn’t ask,” she shrugged as she pushed her straw up and down in her cup and drank her coke.

I shook my head and it was then I felt the staring again I tried to shake it off and then I saw a flash I heard a gasp and I knew my cover hand been blown, than I felt a hand on my arm making me jump.

“Look Jason were on the screen,” Michelle said and gasped and I than realized it was her who did it and the flash had been because it was getting dark and the lights had come on.

It was a break between innings and they had been panning the crowd with heart around them saying kiss the girl, while the song from the little mermaid played, don’t ask how I remembered where the song came from.

It had stopped and landed on us, and I started to laugh as the crowd shouted, “kiss, kiss, kiss.”

I looked over at Michelle who started to blush.

“Well sweet heart what ya say,” I said in my most New York accent I could muster making her burst with laughter.

She than leaned into me and I leaned to her and placed a kiss on her lips that the moment our lips touched I lost all sense of what was going on who I was around, she was the only one there, her and those lips.

Breaking apart to breath I heard cat calls and when I looked at the screen for a moment I saw a cartoon were the lady kissed the girl and the guys face turned into a wolf as he whistled and his eyes got big.

I turned to Michelle and kissed her again softly before she could open her eyes and I felt her smile against my mouth, “Cheater, they already left us,” she said but didn’t hesitate as I kissed her again and again, she than ran her hand up into my hair and pulled me away slightly.

“Whoa there bucko,” she whispered as she had my head placed against her forehead.

I just looked at her with a smile and hearing the crowd cheer as the players made their way back on to the field I rapped my arm around her neck and placed my hand on her shoulder. She than placed her head on my shoulder  and I put mine on top of hers.

We watched the game like if we had been watching from the living room of our say one of houses, or apartments as the case may be right now.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story