Author's Chapter Notes:
This one's a little different lol Usually I like to have them pretty much done before I post but I wanted to post this one early to see what everyone thinks about it. So... let me know :0)
As soon as I stepped close enough to the rotating door at the Madison Hotel in Memphis I could feel the humidity in the air. I cursed myself for spending a half an hour straightening my shoulder length blonde hair when as soon as I step outside it’s going to frizz up in a matter of seconds. Why can’t my hair be immune to frizz like those beautiful girls like Jennifer Aniston or Mandy Moore? No, I was blessed with the frizzy hair gene like Marge Simpson.

I got into the limo waiting for me and sat in silence looking out the window as I drove to the FedEx Forum where I would be opening up for Justin Timberlake. Well, the first show isn’t until tomorrow but this is the first complete run thru. Complete run thru means I go on first and then they switch up everything like they would do during the actual show and then Justin Timberlake goes on and does his complete set. I suppose I would do costume changes if I had any. It’s a little low key. Just a piano, and me that’s all I need.

To say I’m nervous would be the understatement of the century. I’ve never performed in front of a group of more than fifty, forget about selling out a 20,000 person filled arena. I’m not completely delusional, I know everyone is there to see Justin Timberlake, but that makes me even more nervous. Everyone hates the opening act; they just want to see the man they paid all that money for. Plus no one has even heard of me, my first single didn’t even make it to radio yet.

But Justin Timberlake has some weird faith in me, or so they say. I’ve only met him once for maybe ten minutes. He’s a nice enough guy, we shared some small talk and then I sang for him. I sounded horrible because I was so nervous but he just nodded his head, smiled and said, “That’s what I’m talking about”. If only he could hear me when I don’t sound so bad, I think he may shit his pants.

We start and end the tour right here in Memphis, his hometown. In the next four months we do a zigzag across the country, stopping in something like 90 cities throughout the US and Canada. I’m from Savannah Georgia myself. I’m the poster child of a small town girl. The furthest north I’ve been is North Carolina and besides Los Angeles for two days when I got signed, the furthest west is right now in Memphis.

As the limo pulled up to the arena I think I realized for the first time what I was getting in to. There had to be at least a hundred kids outside just waiting to catch a glimpse of Justin Timberlake. They thought the limo was holding him instead of me and had mini freak outs, but luckily we were able to get right by before I witnessed any of the flashing or complete craziness. I would hate for them to waste all their excitement on me.

My manager, Johnny Wright, was waiting for me as soon as I stepped out of the limo. He also happens to be Justin Timberlake’s manager, which I think had a lot to do with the reason why I’m here right now. Johnny got me signed to Jive only three months ago. I had three months to put together an album and a forty-five minute set for this tour. It sounds crazy, but honestly I had enough songs to make five albums. I’ve been singing since before I could talk. Music has been my life since my life began.

“How are you Gianna? Are you ready?” he asked as he pulled me into a hug. He is a really sweet guy and I think he has my best interests in mind. But I learned the hard way that there aren’t too many people you can trust completely in this business. I’ve been screwed over too many times with fake deals and such. But he’s a good guy… so far. I think he’s good. I’m a good judge of character. I almost have psychic powers. I get a feeling in the pint of my stomach when bad people surround me. I don’t know if it’s really psychic powers, I’m sure most people get that feeling but I like to think it’s because I’m psychic.

“Yes, I am. I’m very nervous though,” I said as I pulled my now frizzy and wavy hair into a ponytail.

“Don’t be. You were born for this. As soon as you step out there with all the people in the audience you’re going to feel right at home”

I nodded my head and smiled, I hope he’s right. I’ve been here a few days, I’ve rehearsed on the stage enough to feel comfortable, but this is big time now. As I followed Johnny to the stage I quickly realized it wasn’t going to exactly be a dress rehearsal with no one in the audience. The whole lower section was filled, “I thought it was just going to be a run thru”

“It is” he nodded his head. Am I becoming delusional so early on? Am I just seeing hundreds of people when really there aren’t any? “It’s just some of Justin’s friends and family… and a couple contest winners and fan club members” I took a deep breath. I’m not good with crowds. I know you’re thinking I’m in the wrong business if I don’t like crowds but I’m ok when I’m singing and playing the music. Plus when the lights are off I can’t see anyone anyway so it’s not that bad. But the fact that these are Justin Timberlake’s family and friends puts a lot of pressure on me. Not even to mention those fan club members, they’re hard to impress. I could feel the hives beginning to form on my neck, “You’re going to do great, don’t be nervous”

And what if I don’t do great? What if I choke? What if I’m horrible and Johnny and Justin Timberlake realize they made a huge mistake and I’m sent on the next flight back to Savannah? I can’t do that. I nodded my head and silently cursed the fact that it had to be so damn humid in the middle of July in Memphis. I think I would feel a little more confident if my hair didn’t look so shitty and I had some makeup on. I tried to remind myself that people were not here to look at me; they were here to hear me sing. Well, come to think of it they were here for me at all. They were here to listen to Justin Timberlake sing… and to watch him. But I’m going on before him so they’ll have to watch me before he comes out.

“They’re ready for you whenever you’re ready” Johnny said as he gave me a tap on the shoulder. I decided it would be better to just get it over with instead of standing here letting my hives spread further down my body. I know I’m about ready to have a heart attach and I figure I won’t have one on stage. Music calms me down so I’ll just start playing and close my eyes and hope for the best.

“Hey, Gianna” I stopped and turned around to see Justin Timberlake standing in front of me. He was wearing a pair of gray sweatpants and a white t-shirt and his hair was slightly growing out from the close shaven look he had when I met him for the first time. I reminded myself to breathe and now I know for a fact the hives are all the way down my neck, “What’s up? How are you doing?”

“Good” I nodded my head frantically.

“Good” he chuckled before I noticed that I was still nodding my head and stopped, “So you’re ready for this? Think you can handle it?” I nodded my head. I should probably talk, but I can’t really form words right now. He smiled, “Good. Don’t be nervous, it’s just some friends of mine, they’re not judgmental at all” Everyone is judgmental, it’s just a matter of keeping it to yourself or not. I nodded my head again and wiped my sweaty palms against my jeans, “Alright well… I’ll go introduce you and everything. Are you all set?”

I nodded my head. Talk Gianna. “Yeah, thanks Justin Timberlake”

He laughed this time, full out threw his head back, looked up to the heavens and laughed, “Your welcome Gianna Gibralda”

I followed him on stage and everyone started cheering. I went right to the piano where I feel comfortable enough to maybe forget the fact that not only Justin Timberlake was standing four feet away from me, but I was about to perform in front of him and all his friends.

“Alright, alright. What was that kid?” he asked someone who was screaming something at him in the audience. It must have been one of his buddies, a heckler I suppose. That makes me even more nervous; I hope he doesn’t heckle me. I didn’t even think I’d get heckled, what if I do get heckled? I should have done a goggle search on how to deal with hecklers. Maybe I could come up with a clever line just in case I ever am heckled. I’ll have to work on that before the first real show tomorrow. The guy said something but I was doing yoga in my head to calm myself down a little. It didn’t work though… so much for that.

“We’re going to get started, this is Gianna Gibralda. She’s going to be huge. You’re seeing her here first, consider yourself privileged” he smiled as he looked back at me, “Alright Gigi, show them whatcha got”

Great. Thanks Justin Timberlake. No pressure. I took a deep breath and started playing. I took another deep breath and closed my eyes as I played the last cord. I held that cord out a little longer than necessary because I was afraid to finish and get the reaction. It’s a little difficult to impress these people that are friends with Justin Timberlake. They’re used to the best.

I smushed my eyes, lips and nose together like I tend to do when I’m scared to death waiting for a response. When I heard the applause I opened my eyes slowly, one at a time, and released the muscles clenched together on my face before looking out to the audience. They were really clapping; they didn’t really have to be. Johnny looked really proud in the audience and Justin Timberlake was giving me a standing ovation. OK, now I feel a little better. I guess I could let out this breath I’ve been holding in since I started.

“Thank you,” I said as I played around with the piano, “I’m uh… Gianna Gibralda. I’m from Savannah” I said as I grabbed a bottle of water and took a sip, “I know I’m not supposed to tell you this but I’ve never performed in front of this many people” I chuckled and everyone else laughed, that’s a good sign right? “So I’m scared to death, don’t hold that against me” I put the water back on the ground and everyone laughed again, who knew I was such a comedian, “So it’s going to be interesting when this place is full” I paused as I began to play again, “Alright, back to it. This one is called For You”

Forty-five minutes later and I managed to actually make it through my whole set. Everyone was standing up and clapping when I got off which made me feel good, even though I’m pretty sure it was because they’re Justin Timberlake’s friends and they can’t just boo me off the stage. But I made it through, that’s a plus. And they’re not booing me off stage, which is also a plus. Imagine if Justin Timberlake’s friends booed me off stage… I would have no chance whatsoever with his fans.

“Gianna” I heard my name as I walked backstage, “That was amazing. You really have an unbelievable voice”

This coming from Justin Timberlake means a lot. “Thank you”

“We’re going to have fun on the tour” he smiled, “It’s going to be crazy, they’re going to love you”

I smiled, “Thanks”

“You’re a big talker huh?” he laughed, “I have to go get ready. But, you’re coming tonight right?”

“Coming where?”

“Really? You didn’t hear? Johnny’s slacking” he laughed, “We’re all going out to dinner and then ya’know, hit a club, party it up before the tour starts. So you’re coming?”

“Um…”

“Do you have something else to do? I know it’s last minute but it’s kind of a tradition that everyone gets together,”

“No, I’ll be there” shit. Why did I just say that? I hate clubs, I hate partying, I hate crowds. That’s three of the biggest things I hate all rolled together into one fun filled night. The hives are back.

“Alright, awesome. I’ll see you later Gianna”

“Alright, thanks Justin Timberlake”


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story