I woke up the next morning completely on my own. It felt a little weird yet soothing to wake up without the alarm clocks. I stretched my arms over my head and looked to the left to see Justin sitting in a chair by the bed reading.

“I thought you had a show.”

“I did” he closed the book and looked at me, “I’m done. You weren’t kidding when you said you were a heavy sleeper.”

“I know, I’m sorry. What time is it?”

“Noon” he answered with a laugh, “My alarm went off at 5:30 and you slept through it. Then I got changed and you were still sleeping. When I came back at ten you were dead to the world, I had the television on, my phone went off at least five times and it was right next to you.”

I shrugged it doesn’t surprise me. There is a reason why I have so many alarm clocks going off at the same time, “You could have woke me.”

“No, I don’t think I could have,” he chuckled, “its kind of dangerous. What if there was a fire?”

“I never really thought of that” it could be quite dangerous. I guess I’d have to rely on someone else to come save me. That’s asking a lot though. We’ve been drilled since kindergarten that if there was a fire we have to get out of the building as soon as possible. I doubt there are too many people that would come up to my room to save me. Not even to mention that they’d have to break into my room, bust the door down, and carry me out. I wonder if there’s some way to make me less of a heavy sleeper?

“I should not have said that, now you’re going to be worrying about it for the rest of your life.”

“No I’m not. But seriously, what if…”

“You would hear it. It vibrates your eardrum so even deaf people can hear it. You’re not deaf when you’re sleeping you’ll hear it.”

“Are you sure?”

“Positive Pooky. Do you want to get ready so we can go?”

I nodded my head and went to get up when I realized I once again didn’t have any clothes on, “Can you like…”

“Yes, I can like…” he said as he stood up and walked out of the room. He is clearly annoyed with the fact that I asked him to leave, but I really meant he could just look the other way. I know that I should be all right with him seeing me without my clothes on but I’m not. It’s not him. I’m just not comfortable naked even by myself.

We made our way downstairs and to a rental car Justin had waiting. “How was your thing?” I asked him as we drove away.

“Fine, just the usual” he nodded his head, “You don’t have anything today right?”

I shook my head, “I don’t have anything ever. Just the show tomorrow.”

He smiled, “Did you hear anything about a video?”

“No, did you?”

“Nah” he laughed, “But you should be making one soon. I would think, right?”

“Yeah. I guess.”

He laughed, “You’re going to be going Hollywood soon Pooky.”

“Where are we going?”

“Just for a ride. When is your father coming up?”

“Next weekend”

“Are you excited?” he asked and I nodded my head, “Is your sister coming up too?”

“Yes”

“Cool. I want to meet them.”

“You will” I smiled, it’s kind of cute that he wants to meet them or even that he cares.

“Yeah, I need to talk to him about those sockets flying out of the wall.”

“They did.”

Justin laughed and nodded his head, “I know they did.” He said as he rested his hands on my leg.

“Where are we going?”

“For a ride” he said as he pulled off an exit.

“A ride to where?”

“I don’t know, just a ride,” he answered as he turned down random streets. I sat quietly wondering why he was taking me to a random place. Or maybe he is just driving, but I don’t really understand why anyone would want to do that.

I managed to keep my thoughts about this strange way to spend the day to myself, but after a couple hours of driving around without any sense of direction whatsoever I couldn’t take it.

“I didn’t know you knew your way around Connecticut.”

“I don’t,” he answered with a smile, still looking at the road.

“But you know where we are right?”

He looked over at me and laughed, “No idea”

“Are you serious?”

“Very.”

“Why are you purposely getting lost?” am I missing something here?

“Why not? It’s fun” I really think he’s crazy. How is it fun to get lost in a state you’ve never been to? “This is killing you huh?” Justin asked with a chuckle.

“I just don’t get it.”

“You need to be in control and this is killing you. Relax. We’re going wherever the wind takes us.”

“But what if we can’t find our way back?”

“The hotel is right off the highway, we’ll find our way back. You’re always so nervous. Live on the edge.”

I nodded my head but I really think this is quite possibly the dumbest idea ever. There are stories of people who got lost while driving and have died. Sure, they may have been snowed in during a blizzard but who is to say there’s not going to be a freak blizzard in the middle of August?

“I just don’t get the point of riding around in a state we’ve never been to just to get lost.”

Justin licked his lips and I could see his neck tense up. He moved his right hand from the steering wheel and rubbed the back of his neck, “I thought it would be a good idea to just drive around without any plans and just see what we can find.”

“I like to know what I’m doing and where I’m going.”

He licked his lips again, this time looking right at me, “Do you want to go back then?”

“I thought you didn’t know your way back.” That came out a lot more bitchy than I had planned.

“I’ll turn around then, I can find the way back.”

“No, I just don’t get it. Explain to me how this is fun. I’m missing something.”

“Oh my god Gianna” he said before taking a deep breath and making a three point turn in the middle of the street, “We’ll go back, forget it.”

“I just…”

“No, we’ll just go back” he broke in before I could finish. “We’ll just go back and watch a movie or something like we do every damn day. God forbid we try something different.”

Well today sure is a fun day. He’s clearly angry, I don’t really understand why. I didn’t mean to be disrespectful or anything I just honestly do not understand how it is fun to get lost in a state we’ve never been to. People don’t like to get lost. People get angry when they get lost. It’s not like I’m the only one.

It is safe to say there was not much talking on the drive back to the hotel. We were almost back when we were stopped at a red light and Justin stopped right on the train tracks, “You’re stopped on the train tracks.”

“There’s a red light.”

“Yeah, but you shouldn’t stop on the tracks.” I tried to keep my mouth shut, I really did but I just can’t. I know he’s going to get upset and I wish I was able to just shut up and deal with the fact that we are stopped on train tracks for a couple seconds. “What if a train were to come?”

“I’d move out of the way.”

“What if a car came behind you and you couldn’t?”

“Do you see any other cars?”

“It just makes me nervous.”

“Of course it does. Is there anything you’re not afraid of? Do you think you could give me a list of all your fears and things that make you nervous sometime? Better yet you should make a list of the things that you’re not afraid of, I’m sure it will be a hell of a lot shorter.”

Wow. So much for him being a nice person. That was a little low and extremely uncalled for. He pulled into the parking garage of the hotel a few seconds later so I luckily didn’t have to deal with it anymore. It’s already dark out; we were out getting lost for a while.

We walked through the lobby in silence. A few people recognized Justin but he just ignored them completely. He usually at least smiles or waves but this time he didn’t even look at them. The ride up the elevator was also silent.

He took a deep breath when the elevator door opened, “This isn’t working, is it?”

I shook my head, “No,” clearly it’s not working. He’s getting annoyed
with everything I say or do. Not even to mention that he’s been quite the jerk today.

“Alright” he said softly as he looked down at his feet

“Alright. I’m going to go to bed.”

“Yeah,” he nodded his head, “Me too.”

“Alright.”

“I’ll see you later” he answered. I nodded my head and went into my room closing the door quickly. I took a deep breath and tried to sort through what had just happened. That was a bad day. He was awful rude and mean. I know I expected him to be an asshole but then he proved me wrong. I guess his true colors are finally coming out.

Now I have to spend the whole night on my own. I haven’t spent a night alone since the tour started. We’ve always hung out and watched a movie or something. It’s good though; I need some time on my own. It’s not like I’m not used to spending time alone. I’m always on my own.

But now, I’m used to spending time with Snuckums. I guess I need to get used to being alone again, since clearly spending time with him is out of the question.

There’s always Enya…


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story