“You look like shit.”

I turned around in the chair to see Stacy walk into the dressing room where I was waiting for her, “That’s sweet, thanks”

She laughed as she grabbed a makeup brush, “What the hell happened?”

“Nothing. I just didn’t sleep last night.”

“Why not?”

I shrugged, “Sometimes I just don’t sleep.” I lied. I know damn well that the reason why I did not sleep is because of a certain Justin Timberlake. I did not sleep even for a minute, my eyes were open all night.

“Is everything alright?” she asked.

I nodded my head.

“Are you sure?”

I nodded my head again, “Just put on my clown makeup.”

“I guess I’m missing something,” she said as she put on my foundation. “Both you and Justin look like shit today.”

I find it a little comforting that he looks like shit too. However, I find it very unlikely that he could possibly look like shit. But Stacy is a stylist so I guess she would be the one to know.

“Hello”

“Hi” I answered.

She laughed, “I asked you a question and you were fazed out completely.”

“What was your question?”

“Is it national performer look like shit day that I’m unaware of?”

“Cute.” I answered sarcastically. I would really enjoy it if she could just finish my makeup so I could get out there and play. One thing I hate about touring is that it’s impossible to just play whenever I feel like it. I’ve always had a piano right by me so whenever the inspiration hits I can play.

“What’s going on with you and Justin?”

“Nothing.” I answered quickly. Nothing is going on between us. It’s possible she could have been confused about it in the past but as of right now, nothing.

“Nothing? You two seem to spend a lot of time together.”

I shrugged in response; we’re not going to anymore. Don’t worry.

“You know Justin tells me everything.”

I wasn’t sure if that was a question or a comment. I did not know Justin tells her everything. I did not even know Justin told her anything. “Then why are you asking me?”

I saw her smile, “Because for the first time, he wouldn’t tell me why he looks like shit.”

“Then what is it that he tells you?”

“He tells me that he likes you, and that…”

“No he doesn’t” I broke in, “He may have, at some point, but he doesn’t anymore. So… I guess you’re going to have a lot less talks.”

“Yes he does. And you like him. You like each other or you both wouldn’t be looking like shit this morning.”

“Who’s to say that I look like shit because of him?”

“Oh yeah, that’s right. You just don’t sleep sometimes.” She answered sarcastically.

“Can you just hurry up and finish my makeup please?”

“No. That’s the best part” she laughed, “You can’t leave until I’m done.”

“I could.”

“Yeah, if you want half of your makeup done, be my guest.” She was quiet for a few seconds, “Don’t you want to know what he tells me about you?”

“No.”

“Not even a little bit?”

I shook my head.

“Yes you do.”

“I don’t. You’re really annoying me.”

“Alright, sorry” she answered softly, “Go ahead, you’re done.”

“Thank you.” I stood up and quickly walked out of the room and into my dressing room where I could hear my cell phone ringing from the hallway.

“Hello?” I answered, slightly out of breath.

“Hey Superstar”

“Maggie!” I shouted. I’m pretty sure they could hear me miles away. “I miss you”

“I miss you too. How are you doing?”

“Fine.”

“How’s Justin?”

“Fine.”

“OK” she laughed, “How are you and Justin?”

That seems to be the question of the day. How are Justin and I? Horrible, non-existent.

“Gianna”

“I’m thinking.”

‘Think out loud.”

I took a deep breath, “Nothing, we’re nothing. I don’t think we ever were anything.”

“Obviously you were something, you slept with him. You don’t just sleep with people who are nothing.” She was waiting for a response but I didn’t give her anything, “Gianna?”

“I don’t know what you want me to say Maggie. Maybe I thought there could be something but there’s not. And it’s fine. It’s not a big deal, can we move on?”

“No. What happened?”

“We had a bad day.”

“So maybe it was just a bad day and you’ll be fine.”

“He said he wants a list of everything that I’m afraid of or that makes me nervous or better yet a list of what doesn’t make me nervous because it will be shorter.”

I swear to god I heard her laugh. She’s laughing at it. She’s supposed to be my friend and call him an asshole but instead she’s laughing at what he said.

“Thanks Maggie.”

“Oh come on Gi, its kind of funny. What did you say you were scared of?”

“He stopped on train tracks.”

“Alright. And?”

“Come on, that’s extremely stupid. What if a train came?”

“He would have moved. What else?”

“Well like yesterday we just drove to get lost. Who does that?”

“That’s cute.”

“Are you serious? He had no idea where he was going. How is that cute?”

“It is cute. Kind of romantic.”

I shook my head, “You guys should date then.”

“Come on Gianna, calm down. We’ll move on.”

“Thank you.”

“I have some bad news.”

“What?” I can’t take any more bad news.

“When you come out here I’m going to be home, it’s Thanksgiving weekend.”

“What?” I asked out of disbelief. That was what made the fact that I was going to be in San Francisco so exciting, that I would have thanksgiving with her.

“I know it sucks. Calm down, breathe. But I have some vacation time so I will come out and stay with you for a couple days. When do you want me to come?”

“Right now.”

“Ok” she laughed, “Second choice?”

“I don’t know, my dad’s coming up next weekend. Pick a place you want to see and come then.” I paused when there was a nock on the door, “I have to go but I’ll call you later.”

I opened the door and saw Justin standing there, “Hey.”

“Hey” I answered back. I thought it wasn’t working out and we weren’t going to hang out anymore.

“Did you eat?” I didn’t answer him right away and he kept talking, holding up a bag of foam containers, “This place has the best ribs” he walked past me and sat down on the couch, “We weren’t even supposed to be here. I made sure Hartford was on the schedule for these damn ribs.” I nodded my head and sat down next to him, “And I thought we could talk, what better way to talk than over the best ribs in the world right?”

“About what?”

“Yesterday”

“And how you were a jerk?”

“Alright. I was a jerk.” He admitted, “And you were…?”

“What?”

“Nothing? You were perfect?”

“No, but you were mean.”

“So were you.”

“How was I mean?”

“Everything I said you had a comment for. I thought it would be fun, I thought it would be fun to do something different.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to be rude.”

He nodded his head, “So now what? Are we just done?” I shrugged as an answer, “Well look Gianna, I like you. I like spending time with you but I can’t deal with all that shit. Some of it makes sense and I get it but you go overboard.”

“Well sorry, that’s me.”

“No, it’s not you. Don’t put it off like that.”

“Yes it is. You can ask anyone that knows me. Ask Maggie, she’ll tell you.”

“Alright.”

“What?” That was not what I was expecting.

“Call her up. Let’s do it”

I’m pretty sure my face froze. I thought he’d just move past it but now he really wants me to call her, “Are you serious?”

“What are you chickening out?”

“No. I’ll call her.”

“Alright then, call her. It’s about time for a conference call.” He folded his arms over his chest and watched me intently. He’s kind of scaring me, that look in his eyes is a little creepy.

I grabbed my cell phone from the table and sat down on the couch across from him dialing slowly. “Whoa, two times in one day.” I heard Maggie’s cheerful voice.

“Hey”

“What’s up?”

“Justin wants to talk to you.”

She was silent for a second, probably confused like I am, “OK”

“I’m going to put you on speaker ok?”

“Yeah.”

“OK” I placed the phone on the table between us and took a deep breath, “Maggie Justin, Justin Maggie.”

“How’s it going?”

“Good, how are you?” Maggie asked and I felt myself in the beginning stages of a panic attack. I don’t know why I’m nervous, but I am. I’ve learned to deal with it. I never really know why I get nervous it just happens.

“Ya know, we’re not doing too good here, I’ll be honest. Your girl over here is trying to tell me that the fact she goes overboard on pretty much everything is just the way she is.” He paused for a second and Maggie giggled. “So let’s start from the beginning, do you agree that she goes overboard?”

She laughed again, “Obviously. I’ve been telling her that since the second grade.”

“Alright good, we’ve established that much. I understand that she gets nervous about things, it happens. A lot of the things that make her nervous are completely normal ya know? But then there’s the shit that makes her seem like she’s just crazy.”

“It’s possible she is a little crazy.” Maggie answered.

My mouth dropped, “Thanks Mags.”

She laughed again, “But that’s why we love you babe.”

“Yeah exactly. I like that to some extent, it’s cute. But she just goes overboard and makes it more…” he paused as if looking for the right word, “Annoying.” Well great, he found the right word all right.

“Yes, Gianna can definitely be annoying.”

“Um hello? I’m sitting right here”

They both laughed. Together. I’m glad they’re finding this a humorous situation when I’m about to go crazy.

“You can be annoying Gianna, come on”

“You’re not always annoying” Justin spoke up, “That’s what I’m saying, it’s something we could work on.”

“Work on it sweetie. Don’t let your stupid nerves get in the way of what could happen with him. He obviously cares. If he’s calling me he cares. You need to work on that stuff for you too, you can’t live like that forever.”

She is kind of right. I think I could work on some of it, I mean baby steps. Justin might be worth it.

“I like this girl.” Justin said with a smile.

“Thanks” Maggie laughed, “I’ll leave you guys alone. It was nice to talk to you Snuckums,” she added with a giggle.

“Ahh” Justin laughed, “You as well.”

“Bye Superstar, call me later.” She hung up before I could even answer.

Justin and I kind of just looked at each other. I felt awkward enough for the both of us but I’m pretty sure even he didn’t know what to do. “So…” he stood up and sat down on the couch next to me, “Maggie’s on my side.”

“OK. I get that. I can be annoying. But you were mean and I’d rather be annoying than mean.”

“Alright, we’ll work on it. You tell me when I’m being mean and I’ll tell you when you’re being annoying,” he said as he put his arm around me, “All I’m saying is I like spending time with you and I don’t want it to end because of some nasty habits.” He moved his face in front of mine, “What do you say Pooky? Do you want to give it another chance?”

“Yeah” I nodded my head and quickly felt his lips against mine.

“Good because I was really getting into all that yoga shit,” he added with a chuckle before kissing me again.

“Good because it’s almost time for yoga,”

“Fantastic” he kissed me one more time before standing up and pulling me up with him, “Let’s do it.”


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story