She curled up under his gaze, gulping back the terror she couldn't deny anymore. How could she begin to trust him? Who is he? How does he know about Justin? Was she in trouble? Was this her fault too? It had to be it. He did it. To catch her. This was the price she had to pay for trying to save her soul. Why did she think she could get away with this? Why?

“Look, are you in some kind of trouble? Who are you running from?” he spoke a little more gently.

She shivered the last bit of warmth off her body, “How do you--how do you know Justin?”

The Officer took a good look at the shivering woman before him. Than it fit, if he was correct he just knew who was behind this woman’s fear, “Was it him? Did he hurt you?”

“I--what? I don’t want any trouble. I’m trying to go to… no don‘t--” she was cut off.

He moved a little bit closer, he noticed her full lips turning an indigo shade and offered his hand, “Come on, I’ll take you home.”

Than something inside her woke up. It was like a light had gone off and she had to turn it off or she’ll be blinded. “No! I--don’t do that. I’m fine.”

JC’s lips tightened. He was so confused he didn’t know where to begin. She was obviously running from something or she looked as if she needed to find her pimp.

“Ma’am, please, I can’t help you if you don’t tell me what’s going on. You were running away. Please if you need my help, say something. I’m here to help you… save you.”

Save me? Did that exist? Was it possible to live in an uncontrolled world without fearing the next moments? Was she better off? Man, it was a hard decision. Justin would find her. She was sure of it. He always did and it halted the complete answer.

“Save me? Why?”

It was starting to rain now, a little bit more than the drizzle from before and things were just getting worse.

He grabbed onto her hand. He didn’t care what she thought. He had the feeling that he just needed to get outta here. For both their sakes. There was something she was not telling and that was fine… for now. He’d get it out later. But now, it was midnight and he couldn’t take her into a holding cell. He quickly thought of something fast.

“Come with me. I can’t let you leave yet. Just trust me please. I won’t hurt you.”

She was dazed as he pulled her body off the gate and walked her over to the back seat.

“What are you doing with me?”

He didn’t have time to explain, “Please just get in. Trust me.”

She really didn’t have much of a choice now. He practically forced her into the back; but strangely, didn't pushed her. It was his voice. It held so many things she couldn’t decipher. It had this power over her movements but it wasn't the same feeling of pain she had with Justin.

It was much more calmer. She felt protected, maybe?

She watched him climb to the front seat and pull out of the dead end. She screamed and looked behind her. Gun shots, she ducked her head. She lifted her head to check if he was OK.

“Shit! What the fuck! Are you OK there?”

She breathed out. Thank god. She had no one else. This was it, just them.

“Yeah, w-what’s going on? Who was that?”

Fear was dripping from her voice as he pulled out of the alley and back onto the streets.

He looked frantic now. They were both scared. It was a terrifying moment and it never stops for her. For JC, you’d think this would be an old game. He was more scared than people give him credit for.

He shook his head, shaking off the access fear as much as he can, “Don’t know, just trying to get us outta here as fast as I can. I’m sorry I didn’t do this sooner I would have avoided this.”

She nodded and shivered trying to warm herself up. She spotted a jacket next to her and took it.

“Go ahead. My partner left it in here. Good thing huh? Finally find a use for it now." He stifled a laugh.

It was twice her size when she put it around her shoulders. She closed her eyes. Warm. Nice. It was calm, she felt like she was being drenched in the warmth.

The officer stopped at the red light. He could easily speed through it. That’s the beauty of the job. But he had no direction. He had no idea who the woman was or where she lived and he was scared to ask her. He was afraid of the answer honestly.

He didn’t say or ask her anything. He made a U-Turn and took the route back the other direction. It was against the rules and holding cells were not what he wanted to deal with right now.

What harm could it do anyway. At this point its not like he was on duty. Besides he had a feeling her situation was a little more dire than what he thought.

Maybe she couldn’t tell him because she didn’t have one. Maybe she’s caught on the streets. She was half-naked when he found her but she didn’t have that look of someone who was confident enough to do that for a living. Plus she looked really upset. Something was going on and it had to do with Justin.

He noticed her eyes looking anywhere but in front of her. She seems to hide her eyes a lot.

“Hey, are you OK? Do you need anything?”

She turned her head and looked down, covering herself a little more. She shook her head softly, “No…”

He switched between looking up at the mirror and at the road, “OK, well, I’m supposed to take you somewhere but I changed my mind.”

What?! Changed his mind? That doesn’t sound good.

“W-what do you mean?”

JC laughed out loud, a little bit too loud maybe, “I’m taking you home.”

Her mind was racing? What? She stayed with Justin. Back home? Not back, never back!

“…back to my place. It’s safe don’t worry. You don’t need to worry anymore.”

How was he so sure of that?


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story