A light breeze blew into the cabin through the open windows. Everyone was sleeping or, in Lance's case, trying to. He was having a hard time falling asleep. There was just too much on his mind. He still couldn't believe that Mandy was related to him somehow, but all of the evidence pointed to it. He thought about his parents and why they never told him.

 

"Because things that are in the past belong in the past." Lance said to himself and closed his eyes. He knew he probably wouldn't be able to sleep, but he figured it couldn't hurt to try.

 

It suddenly got very cold in Lance's room. Lance looked over at Chris to see if he noticed or had woken up. He hadn't. Lance wondered why it got cold all of the sudden. It had been warm a few minutes ago. He opened his eyes and was shocked at what he saw.

 

It was the ghost of a little girl. Lance knew that he had seen her before, but where? It was then that Lance realized that the ghost was Mandy, the little girl he had seen in the picture with JC. He was beyond being shocked. She really looked a lot like him.

 

Mandy watched Lance and saw his eyes grow wide as he recognized her. She smiled at him. "Welcome home, brother." She said to him in a soft, sweet voice.

 

Lance would have screamed if it wasn't for him being so shocked that he couldn't talk. He just stared at her. Just when he had worked up the courage to say something, he heard a scream come from down the hall.

 

Lance stopped and listened for a moment. He then knew who was screaming. It was JC.

 

Lance jumped off his bed and ran as fast as he could toward JC's room having a bad feeling that something wasn't right. Lance ran into the room with Mandy right behind him. She had followed him.

 

The first thing Lance noticed about the room was that it was cold. Then he looked over and noticed Justin looked worried and scared. He saw that Justin's eyes, as well as JC's, were glued to the window. He could tell JC was terrified, even more than Justin, by the way he shook compulsively. Lance followed Justin's line of vision to find out what caused them to react this way and stiffened at what it was that he was looking at.

 

Just then Joey and Chris came running into the room. Chris had heard Lance leave in a hurry and knew something was up so he woke up Joey and they both headed to JC and Justin's room.

 

Chris was about to ask what was going on when he saw it.

 

"What's…" Joey began, but was cut off by Chris nudging him in the side and pointing at the window. Joey sucked in a breath. It was Katrina Bass, Mandy's mother.

 

If it was still questionable if JC had really seen a ghost or not, that all changed when they saw it. Katrina Bass made her way to JC and the guys just stood there watching, waiting to see what was going to happen. It seemed as if they couldn't move from the spot they were standing.

 

JC watched with wide eyes as Katrina Bass made her way closer. His mind was screaming at him to move, to do something. But he couldn't.

 

She finally reached JC. Everyone was silent, waiting to see what she was going to do. Katrina Bass looked down at JC lying on his bed. JC built up all the courage he could muster and said, "Wha…what do you want?"

 

She stood there for a moment and laughed. "What do you think?" She snapped at JC.

 

She leaned in closer to JC. "You don't even remember me. Do you?" JC shook his quickly and she laughed again. "You may not, but I'm sure your friend does."

 

She turned to Lance and walked over to him. All eyes landed were on Katrina as she put a hand on Lance's cheek. "Ah, my son. How does it feel to be home? I've missed you very much." She continued with, "I love you so much and I want to assure you that if it had been you had died, I would have avenged your death. I would do anything for you, my son."

 

Lance nearly choked on her words. Son? He was her son? There's no way that's possible. My mother is Diane, not her, Lance told himself.

 

"I know what you must be thinking. She's not really my mother. But think about it. Where did you get your blond hair if both your father and mother have brown hair? And where did you get your green eyes? Your father has brown ones and so does your mother. Believe or not, I am your true mother."

 

Lance gaped at her words. He had often wondered how he didn't really look like his mother. He got some features from his father, but it didn't seem that he got any from his mother. Lance knew her words made sense, but he didn't want to believe it.

 

"How…" Lance began and Katrina finished the sentence for him.

 

"How did you get the life you have now?" Lance nodded. "As I'm sure you already know, I killed myself shortly after your friend here pushed my daughter into the lake when he knew she wasn't a strong swimmer." She pointed at JC.

 

"After I killed myself your father thought it would be best if he left this cabin and make a home somewhere else. You were only three when your dad met who you believe is your mother. They got married. Your sister, Stacy, was their flower girl. She had been Diane's daughter. After the wedding, your father told Diane about what happened and they decided it was best if you didn't find out." Katrina explained.

 

Lance couldn't believe it and the others were just as shocked as he was. No one had any idea that anything like this ever happened. Lance shook his head. His world was being turned upside down and he didn't want that to happen.

 

"I don't believe you." Lance told her.

 

"No? Don't you remember that time Mandy took you up into the tree house that was out back and she left you there? It started raining. You were so scared of the dark and being alone that you tried to jump out of the tree house and broke your leg. I knew that something wasn't right when I went outside to get you after Mandy told me she had left you. I found you lying on the ground crying. I picked you up and sang to you. Do you remember the song?"

 

Lance had a far off gaze in his eyes as he recalled a stormy night that he was in a tree house. He remembered being scared and falling out of the tree. The only thing he could remember after that was a young woman picking him up and singing to him. It was then that he noticed Katrina was humming the song that he remembered being sung to him on that night.

 

Katrina stopped humming. She knew that he remembered. He now knew the truth about her. "So you see, Lance. I really am your mother."

 

She took advantage of the guys being wrapped up in their thoughts to carry out her revenge. She grabbed a pillow and pressed it into JC's face. JC was struggling to breathe and the others noticed this. They seemed to snap out of their shocked state and spring into action. Joey and Chris ran over to where Katrina was and went to push her so JC would be able to breathe again. But they fell right through her.

 

Chris smacked himself in the head. "Well, duh. She's a ghost. Of course we can't touch her." He said to himself not sure of what to do to save JC. Joey and Chris stood watching, helpless at what was happening. There was nothing they could do.

 

JC's mind screamed for oxygen. He was fighting to remain calm and stay conscious, but he couldn't fight it any more. Katrina saw Joey and Chris give up and watched as JC's struggling grew weaker and finally stopped all together. Katrina smirked at JC's limp form.

 

"Have a nice day, boys." She turned to leave, positive that her revenge was complete. She stopped and looked at Lance. "I'm sorry you had to see that, baby. But it was something that needed to be done. Come Mandy. Let's go."

 

Mandy walked by Lance and stopped to say, "I'm sorry. I didn't want that to happen to JC. He was my best friend. I can't go against mother though." With that said she left with her mother.

 

Lance stood there for a minute, but knew he had to see if JC was really dead and if there was anything he could do to help. He moved over to JC and felt for a pulse. It was extremely low, but he was still alive. Lance took this as a good sign and sighed.

 

"He's still alive." Lance quietly told the others. They all sighed in relief. They had thought that she really killed JC this time.

 

"Someone go get me a wash cloth please." Justin left the room to get it for Lance to use on JC. He was glad to be doing something that would help. He came back in a few minutes later and handed the damp, cool cloth to Lance.

 

"Thanks." Lance softly dabbed it over JC's face and finally laid it on his forehead. JC reacted to the soft touches and coolness that spread throughout his body. Lance placed his fingers on JC's neck and kept them there. He began to feel JC's pulse grow stronger.

 

JC struggled to come out of the blackness that surrounded him when he was unconscious. After what seemed like forever to him, he was able to get his eyes to open. He looked up into Lance's worried face.

 

"We've got to stop meeting like this." JC joked softly trying to lighten the mood. The guys all laughed grateful for something to ease the tension a little, but Lance didn't laugh.

 

"How are you feeling?" Justin asked JC.

 

"I'm good now. Thanks you guys." JC replied, his eyes drooping closed.

 

"Sure thing. Go back to sleep." Joey told JC and JC nodded. Within a few minutes he fell into a deep sleep.

 

The guys all stood in silence for a minute not quite sure what they should do now that JC was fine and sleeping. Lance had a million thoughts running through his head and needed to be alone so he excused himself and headed for the bedroom that he shared with Chris.

 

Once Lance was in the room, he went over to the window to shut it and lock it. Then he moved to a corner of the room and sat in a tight ball in a corner. It was then that he began to shake uncontrollably. He lost the control he had after he saw JC was fine and couldn't hide it any more.

 

He sat like that for an hour thinking about everything Katrina had said to him and about what his parents had told him. Lance made no attempt to get up and move or go talk with one of the guys. He just sat there thinking about how his life just got turned upside down.

 

Chris came in and was surprised to find Lance sitting in the corner of the room in a ball shaking. He had been elected by Joey and Justin to check on him. They knew that Lance needed his space after what he had to go through, but knew it was a good idea to check on him and offer him their comfort. Chris walked over and sat next to Lance. He put his arm around Lance's trembling shoulders. Lance looked up, startled that someone was beside him and touching him when he didn't even hear the person come over.

 

"Are you OK?" Chris asked and Lance shook his head. It was after this that Chris was able to see the pain and fear in Lance's eyes.

 

"She might have been pulling your leg. It might not be true."

 

Lance shook his head again. "It…it makes sense. I…I just don't understand why they couldn't have told me the truth."

 

Lance reached his limit. He couldn't take any more and began to cry, which caused his body to shake even harder. Chris rubbed his back trying to make him feel a little better and at least stop the shaking. He knew he had to be strong for Lance.

 

"I know it hurts, Poofoo. I know it sucks finding out this way, but your parents had a good reason to keep it from you. You were happier not knowing." Chris began to say comforting things to Lance and continued rubbing his back. After a while Lance's sobs subsided, but his body still shook uncontrollably.

 

"C'mon let's get you into bed." Chris said while pulling Lance up.

 

"I don't want to sleep." Lance replied shakily. He didn't feel that tired, just emotionally strained. But he didn't want to be left alone either. He didn't think he could take another visit from his mother or sister.

 

"OK. C'mon then. You can come downstairs with me. I'll make you a cup of warm tea. Are you cold?" Lance nodded and Chris took the comforter off the bed and wrapped it around Lance. He carefully led Lance down the stairs and into the living room where Joey and Justin were.

 

"Hey, Poofoo. How you doing?" Joey looked Lance up and down and saw he was shaking even though he had a comforter wrapped around him. Justin saw the same thing and frowned. Both of them felt really bad for Lance and the news that he had to deal with.

 

Chris came back into the room with the hot tea for Lance. Lance shakily took a drink and set it down on the coffee table. He buried himself into the comforter while listening to the others talk. After listening to them for an hour, he fell asleep with his head on Justin's shoulder.

 

"Poor Poofoo." Justin said softly so as not to wake Lance.

 

"Yeah. That was a crummy way to find out." Joey agreed.

 

"I'm just wondering what's going to happen next." Justin and Joey looked at Chris.

 

"What do you mean by that?" Joey asked.

 

"I mean it's obvious this isn't over because JC's not dead. And I don't think Mandy's mother's going to stop until he is."

 

"You really think that?" Justin looked over at Chris.

 

"Yeah. I just wonder how far she will go or if she will give up because we're certainly not giving up on JC."

 

Joey and Justin agreed with Chris. There was no way that they would let go of JC. Justin then thought of something. "What if she comes after Lance?"

 

"Why would she do that?" Joey asked.

 

"To have Lance part of her family since he's her biological son." Justin reasoned.

 

"I guess we'll just have to prevent both Lance and JC getting taken away from us." Chris replied stubbornly. There was no way either one of his brothers was going to become part of the dead. Chris would make sure of it.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story