Joey, Justin, and Chris sat in the living room watching the sun rise above the trees. They couldn't go back to sleep and knew that it would be wise to keep an eye on Lance and JC. Occasionally one of them would go upstairs to check on JC. Justin had gone up to check on him while Joey and Chris stayed with Lance. Justin came downstairs a few minutes later.

 

"He's still sleeping." Justin looked over at Lance and saw the same thing that he had in JC's room. He knew this must be hard on the two of them.

 

"That's our JC." Joey joked and Justin and Chris laughed. JC was always known as the one who liked to sleep as much as he could.

 

"I feel so bad for him though." Justin said and then added, "Both of them."

 

"I know what you mean. I wish there was something we could do." Chris replied feeling the same thing as Justin.

 

"Why don't we just leave?" Joey suggested.

 

"Yeah. Maybe nothing else will happen if we get back to the studio." Justin added. It was fun when they first got here, but now everything was going wrong. He just wanted to get back to normal.

 

"We can't." Chris stated plainly.

 

"What do you mean we can't?" Joey asked.

 

"Just that. We can't. Both of you, as well as I, know that if we leave Katrina will still follow us and everything might be worse than it is right now. We only have a couple days left and I think it's best if we leave without ghosts following us." Chris explained. He had thought about leaving a long time ago, but knew that it would just cause more problems.

 

Justin sighed. "You're right. I just don't want to see them hurting anymore."

 

"I don't either, but trust me. We would be worse off if we left things unfinished here." Chris assured and Joey and Justin nodded. They knew that Chris was right. They just felt so useless sitting there doing nothing.

 

_______________

 

JC was sleeping peacefully upstairs. He was in a deep sleep. The kind that he falls into only when he's sick or exhausted. For the first time in the past two days, JC had no dreams or nightmares. He was just sleeping peacefully until he felt someone pulling on his arms trying to get him out of bed.

 

JC opened his eyes to see who it was and saw Katrina pulling on his arms. JC knew what she was after and tried to scream to get his friends attention so they could help him. Only when JC tried to scream he found that he couldn't. He couldn't even talk.

 

JC struggled as Katrina pulled him off his bed. JC continued to struggle, but stopped when he realized that he was making himself weaker, which would make it easier for Katrina to kill him.

 

JC knew he would have to fight for his life and would need as much energy as he could get for that. Katrina pulled JC along by his arm and JC had no choice but to follow. If he didn't she would pull his arm out of his socket.

 

She made him jump out the window and JC hit the ground hard. She gave him no time to recover and he stumbled to get up and keep up with her. The only thing JC could do is hope that his friends would come and help him.

 

___________

 

Lance bolted into a sitting position surprising Joey, Justin, and Chris. Lance was panting and trying to get up, but couldn't because he was tangled in his comforter. Chris went over to Lance to help him.

 

"What's the matter, Lance?" Chris asked him while untangling the comforter from his body.

 

"JC. It's JC. He's gone! I need to find him. He needs help!" Lance tried taking off for the back door, but Chris reached out and grabbed him.

 

"Joey, go check on JC." Chris demanded while keeping his eyes focused on Lance's. They were filled with fear and worry.

 

"Do you think Lance is right? That something happened to JC and he needs us?" Justin asked Chris.

 

"I don't know. We'll know for sure when Joey comes back down." They only had to wait a few minutes before Joey came running down the stairs and into the living room.

 

"JC's not upstairs. I looked everywhere. He's not up there." Joey said urgently.

 

"I guess there's your answer, J." Chris told him and let go of Lance's arm, surprised to find that JC really was gone. Lance, not having anyone to hold him back, took off for the back door and outside. He knew JC was out there somewhere.

 

Chris turned and realized that Lance was missing. He looked around and saw the back door close behind Lance. "Lance! Wait up!" Chris shouted and took off to where Lance had gone.

 

"I have a feeling things just got a lot more complicated." Joey told Justin.

 

"Do you think Katrina's behind this?" Justin asked.

 

"I would bet my life on it."

 

"Well c'mon then. They're going to need our help." Justin and Joey took off running to meet up with Chris and Lance.

 

They found Chris and Lance right outside the cabin. Chris was trying to get Lance to calm down and regain control of himself.

 

"Is he alright?" Justin asked Chris.

 

"Yeah. He's just freaking out because he says something's happening to C." Chris answered.

 

"Something's going to happen. I know it!" Lance said.

 

"Shh. It's OK. We believe you. Just calm down. We need you to calm down so we can find JC. OK?" Chris soothed. He knew that Lance's nerves must be frazzled since he was running around and freaking out.

 

Lance closed his eyes and took deep breaths trying to calm himself down. "That's it. As soon as you're calm we can help JC." Justin told Lance following Chris's lead of trying to get him calm or as close as they could get him to calm.

 

After one more deep breath, Lance opened his eyes. "Better now?" Joey asked. He could see that Lance was more focused now. Although his eyes were still bright green with worry and fear, he seemed to have more control now than he did when he went running out of the cabin.

 

"So how do we find JC? We don't know where Katrina took him." Justin looked over at Chris. Through this whole mess Chris seemed to be the one holding everyone together and knew what to do.

 

"Uh…I'm not sure. I guess just check each trail and see if we find him. He's got to be around here somewhere." Chris answered honestly. He knew that the others were hoping he would know what to do, but he was as lost as they were.

 

"OK. Which trail do we start off with?" Joey asked no one in particular.

 

"The one we went on our first day here." Lance said quietly.

 

"Alright. Let's start walking then." The four of them walked in silence. They knew that this was it. It was up to them to save JC and end all of this before they had to leave.

 

Lance shivered at the thought that everything he had ever known was hanging in the balance. A cold wind blew and Lance shivered again. Joey noticed this and put an arm around Lance's shoulders to offer comfort and provide some warmth.

 

"Looks like a storm's brewin'." Justin said and the others looked up at the sky. The clouds were a dark gray and the wind was picking up, making the trees sway.

 

"Hopefully we'll find JC before it starts raining." Chris replied as they picked up their pace. They knew the rain was coming and that if they wanted to find JC they would have to be quick about it.

 

They walked down the hill JC fell down at the beginning of their vacation and Lance felt his stomach twist. He had to keep reassuring himself that JC would be fine and nothing would happen.

 

"I forgot how long this trail was." Joey spoke up.

 

"Yeah. Where do you think JC would be if he's on this trail?" Justin asked.

 

"There's a clearing up ahead, right?" Justin nodded at Chris's question.

 

"Then after that there're more woods." Joey informed.

 

Chris nodded. "I think if they are on this trail it would be down there."

 

"What makes you say that?" Justin asked.

 

"I dunno. I just have a feeling." Just then it started to thunder and lightening telling them that rain was on the way.

 

"What are we waiting for? Let's go." Lance said agreeing with Chris that JC was probably in those woods. All four of them ran as fast as they could to the woods. Lance was in front. He wasn't normally a fast runner, but his worry and fear pumped adrenaline through his body.

 

They stopped just before the woods to catch their breath. "How do we know if he's even in there?" Justin questioned the others. Even though it was afternoon it was growing very dark from the approaching storm and he didn't want to go in there if JC wasn't in there.

 

Chris was about to answer Justin's question, but was interrupted by a scream. It was hard to hear over the roaring thunder, but they still heard it. It was coming from in the woods and more importantly from JC.

 

"That answer your question?" Chris replied and took off for the woods. The others right behind him.

 

They got to the middle of the woods and saw Katrina holding onto JC. They had no doubt that she brought him here to carry out her revenge.

 

"What are you doing?" Chris asked, the first to find his voice. It was hard to grip that one of your best friends could die if you didn't do something and by a ghost.

 

"What does it look like I'm doing?" Katrina snapped.

 

JC looked over at his four brothers glad that they had found them and were here to help him. Now all JC had to do was pray that they all made it out of this.

 

Katrina pushed JC over by a tree and just then a lightening bolt struck the tree. The tree lowered a bit, but didn't fall because half of the trunk was still there. JC sighed in relief that it hadn't crushed him. He had tried to get out of the way, but he couldn’t move.

 

Katrina made her way to Lance. "What are you doing here? You don't belong here." Lance ignored her. His eyes connected with JC's.

 

"Don't bother with him. His suffering's going to end shortly." Katrina told him.

 

"I won't let you do that." Lance replied stubbornly his eyes still on JC's. There was no way he was going to let his best friend, his brother, die. Just then another lightening bolt struck the tree's trunk.

 

It was like it happened in slow motion. Lance saw the tree start falling. "No!" He shouted and doing the only thing he could think of. He ran toward JC and pushed him out of the way just as the tree fell.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story