Lance managed to get JC out of the falling tree's way, but not himself. Once he pushed JC, he tried to roll out of the tree's way. He was able to get most of himself out of way, but not his leg. The tree crushed his leg and Lance could feel intense pain from it. Everyone had seen what Lance did and couldn't believe it especially JC. What was he thinking? JC asked himself and then nodded in realization. That's so like Lance. Always thinking about others before himself. How am I ever supposed to repay him?

 

"Lance, are you okay?" Justin asked breaking everyone out of their shocked state.

 

Lance hissed in pain. "Yeah. I'm fine."

 

JC could hear the pain in Lance's voice. I feel so bad. It should be me laying there, JC thought and hung his head. He promised himself that he would make this up to Lance somehow.

 

Katrina sighed in relief. She was just as surprised as everyone else that Lance had done that. Especially for the man who I'm trying to take revenge on, she thought bitterly. She was mad that Lance foiled her plans, but was happy that he wasn’t dead or seriously injured.

 

Chris walked over to Lance and tried pushing the tree of his leg. "Chris, what are you doing?" Joey asked.

 

"I'm trying…ugh….to get the…ugh…tree off…ugh…Lance's leg." Chris replied and Joey, Justin, and JC moved over to help Chris. They used all of their strength to try and push the tree off Lance's leg. But to no avail. They laid on the ground exhausted from the effort they put into it. Lance had just closed his eye in pain while his brothers worked to free him. He didn't blame them when they couldn't do it. He didn't really expect them to be able to move it.

 

Katrina saw the guys try to move the tree and how much trouble they were having. She decided to push the thought of getting her revenge on JC out of her head until she got the tree off Lance and made sure he really was alright. She walked over to the tree and stepped over the guys, who were still sprawled out on the ground. She then lifted the tree as if it weighed nothing and moved it to the side.

 

The guys jumped up in surprise. "Wow. How'd you do that?" Justin asked. Joey smacked Justin upside the head. "Hey! What was that for?"

 

"This is serious. No stupid questions." Joey told him. Justin crossed his arms and stuck his tongue out.

 

"Well excuse me for being curious."

 

"Curiosity killed the cat." Lance quipped and the four of them turned to Lance who was trying to get up.

 

"Here let me help you." Katrina said to Lance, reaching her arm out so she could heal his leg.

 

Lance jerked away as fast as he could. "Don't touch me." He spat and continued to get up on his own.

 

"I don't think that's such a good idea." JC warned, but Lance glared at him. He stood himself up, not listening to the others' protests, and put all of his weight on his good leg.

 

"You're so determined. Just like your father." Katrina told Lance. "I'm also a very determined person and I'm determined to get my revenge."

 

She moved closer to JC, but Lance hobbled over to her. He stood in between Katrina and JC. "Don't you dare touch him." Lance hissed at her.

 

"But baby, I need to avenge Mandy's death. You know I would do the same if it were you. I love you."

 

"You love me? Loving me is killing one of my best friends?" Lance shouted. All of the guys just looked on. They knew this was Lance's battle to fight.

 

Lance paused to let it sink in and continued on. "If you really loved me, like you say you do, you would just forget about killing JC and getting your revenge. It's been 20 years. Put the past behind you for Christ sake."

 

"You really want that? You want me to just forget about your friend and you and just leave?" Katrina asked. What Lance had said to her were like needles in her heart. She didn't know he really felt that way.

 

"Yes. Just leave us alone. I don't need you to look after me. I have friends and family that do that." Lance knew what he said really hurt her and felt bad about it, but he held his ground. He knew that he couldn't let her hurt JC and break up his band of brothers.

 

"OK. If that's what you really want." Lance nodded. "Just…will you ever be able to forgive me?"

 

Lance thought for a minute and answered, "Maybe someday, but not right now. There's just too much to deal with right now."

 

Katrina nodded and Lance slumped down. His foot had fallen asleep and he couldn’t hold himself up anymore. JC caught him and gently lowered him to the ground. Katrina slowly walked over Lance.

 

"Don't worry. I'm not going to hurt you or him." She said pointing to JC. "I'm just going to fix your leg."

 

Lance let her touch him, but he was very tense. He didn't trust her. Katrina's body began to glow and it seemed to be moving into Lance's leg. They all looked on in awe. They could hear the faint snaps as the bone moved back in place. Lance flinched at the sound. He was in pain, but it was less intense than before.

 

The glow disappeared when Katrina removed her hand from Lance's leg. "That should do it. You'll still be sore, but that should be gone by tomorrow night."

 

"Thanks." Lance said quietly. After all, she could've just left without fixing his leg and he would've had to wait weeks for it to heal.

 

Katrina nodded. "I guess I'll be going now. C'mon Mandy." She motioned for Mandy to follow her.

 

"One minute mommy." Mandy told her and went over to Lance. She kneeled down in front of him.

 

"I've really missed you, brother."

 

"I would probably say the same, but I can't remember you." Lance said honestly.

 

"I know. Mommy says you were too young to remember." Mandy paused. "Will I ever see you again?"

 

"Sure. We'll see each other in heaven. I won't be there for a long time though."

 

"That's OK. I can wait. I'll see you there." Mandy told him and wrapped her arms around him. Lance was startled. He could feel warmth from her and it felt comforting. Mandy pulled away and walked toward Katrina.

 

"Bye Lance."

 

"Bye Mandy." With that said, Katrina and Mandy flew up into heaven. Lance sighed and closed his eyes. He was glad that it was over and all of them had made it out alive.

 

The guys all stood around not really sure what to do now that everything was pretty much right. They surveyed their surroundings for the first time since everything started and they realized it was still pouring down rain. They had forgotten with what had just went on.

 

"We should head back and get some sleep. Then we can leave sometime tomorrow." Chris suggested and everyone agreed. Lance slowly moved to get up when he felt someone grab onto his arm and help pull him up off the saturated ground. He looked up and saw it was JC. JC gave him a faint smile and Lance gave his own in appreciation for the help.

 

The others had seen how tired Lance and JC were. Joey went over and put his arm around JC while Justin went over to Lance and put his arm around him. Lance tried to shrug off the help. He knew he was tired, but he was still able to walk.

 

"Don't, Lance. You're tired and can hardly stand up straight. Just lean on me." Justin said and Lance gave in.

 

They all began their long trek back to the cabin when Lance started singing softly. Even though it was thundering, the others could still hear what he was singing.

 

"Sometimes in our lives. We all have pain. We all have sorrow. But if we are wise we know that there's always tomorrow."

 

They knew what he was singing and began to sing along. "Lean on me when you're not strong and I'll be your friend. I'll help you carry on. For it won't be long till I'm gonna need somebody to lean on."

 

Lance thought that it fit his mood perfectly. He needed his friends to lean on even though he didn't care to admit it right now. He felt grateful to have friends like his. The ones that are always there for you through thick and thin.

 

After two hours they made it back to the cabin. The rain hadn't let up at all and they were all soaked. Joey, Chris, and Justin made JC and Lance get changed first. Once they were changed, Chris and Joey escorted them to bed. They both fell asleep almost as soon as their heads hit the pillows.

 

Once Chris and Joey were sure that JC and Lance were sleeping they went and changed too. They joined Justin in the living room to watch TV and unwind a little before they went to bed.

 

"I'm so glad this is all over." Joey said.

 

"I bet not as glad as JC and Lance." Chris replied.

 

Joey nodded. "Can you imagine how they must feel that this is over now?"

 

"Pretty darn good." Justin yawned. "I think I'm going to head up to bed. Someone needs to drive home tomorrow and it's not going to be Lance or JC."

 

"I'm right behind you." Chris told him.

 

"Me too." The three of them went into their bedrooms and fell into a fitful sleep.

 

The next morning JC and Lance were the first ones up. They went down into the kitchen to talk so as not to disturb anyone. They made coffee and sat there drinking it.

 

Both of them wanted to say what was on their mind, but they couldn't bring themselves to do it. JC worked up some courage and was the first to speak.

 

"I feel really bad about what happened, Lance. It should've been me. Not you."

 

Lance shook his head. "Don't say that. I feel bad too. I mean it was my idea to come here which led to all of the events that happened. Can you forgive me?"

 

"Tell you what. I'll forgive you, if you forgive me. Deal?" JC asked.

 

"Deal." Lance agreed. They shook on it to make it official and pulled each other into a hug. Just then the others walked in.

 

"What is this? A hug fest? I want a piece too." Joey said and walked over to Lance and JC.

 

"What are we hugging for?" Justin asked.

 

"Lance and I were hugging because we forgave each other. Plus we're entitled to it." JC explained.

 

Justin joined the trio. "I'm sorry that I broke Chris's walkman."

 

"You did what?" Chris asked.

 

"I broke it, but not on purpose. I was looking for something on the dresser and I accidentally knocked over the lamp and it smashed your walkman." Justin told him.

 

"It's alright because I stole your cd and that's what was in my walkman." Chris replied as he joined the group.

 

"You suck, Chris." Justin said.

 

"Love you too, Curly."

 

"I'm sorry too." Joey told them.

 

"What are you sorry for Joey?" JC asked him enjoying the warmth that he was getting from all of the guys. He knew that what happened would be the least of their worries from now on.

 

“I cut the cheese.”


Completed
Leo is the author of 14 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked Forgotten Past also liked 296 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story