JC woke up the next day to find that it was almost afternoon. He assumed that all the guys were up so he went to take a shower and join his friends afterward. After his shower he felt very refreshed and awake. He hadn't felt like this in a long time. It seemed to him that with each passing day he returned to his old self, the kind of person he wanted to be. One thing that surprised JC was how his side felt a lot better. He was glad that he was because now he could have fun and not worry about making it hurt worse. He decided to go downstairs and see what the guys were up to.

 

He made it to the kitchen after passing through the whole downstairs and found that none of the guys were around. "Hm…I wonder where they are." JC said to himself. Just then he heard splashing water and laughter. They must be in the lake, he thought and took off to put on his swimsuit so he could join them. He made it out to the lake where his suspicions were confirmed. Justin was the first to notice him.

 

"Hey, JC. It's about time you got up. We thought you were going to sleep forever." At the mention of JC's name, the other guys turned to see him standing there.

 

"C'mon in. The water's great!" Joey said and JC jumped in. Joey was right. The water was warm, but refreshing at the same time.

 

"How long have you guys been up?" JC asked.

 

"Not too long. We all got up around nine except for Lance. He was up at seven." Chris answered.

 

"That figures. Lance is always up early." JC replied.

 

"That's exactly what Joey said to me when he got up." Lance commented. While Lance and JC were carrying on a conversation, Chris snuck up behind JC and dunked him.

 

JC didn't expect to be dunked and said, "What was that for?"

 

"I told you yesterday that you wouldn't be so lucky next time." Chris explained.

 

"Yeah, but you said you were going to push me in the water. Not dunk me." JC objected.

 

"Yeah, well, you were already in the water so the only thing I could do was dunk you." JC was going to reply, but gave a frustrated sigh when he couldn't think of one. All of the guys laughed and carried on like that for another hour before they decided to go in and make lunch.

 

All of the guys sat around the table eating their sandwiches that Lance made. "So what is everyone going to do the rest of the day?" Lance asked.

 

"Justin and I plan on going for a walk. Then come back here and battle it out on Playstation." Joey said.

 

"Sounds good. What are you going to do, Chris?" JC questioned.

 

"I was going to get a good look around the area." Chris replied.

 

"That sounds good. I think I'll go with you." Lance said.

 

"How about you, JC? What are you going to do?" Justin looked over at his best friend.

 

JC gave it some thought before saying, "I think I'll sit by the lake and try to write some new songs. I think it'll give me inspiration."

 

"You're welcome to join any of us you know." Chris said.

 

"Yeah I know. I really want to try to get something done."

 

"Yeah. We know you. If you don't write something before the vacation's over you'll feel like you accomplished nothing and that you're a failure." Joey joked.

 

The guys finished their meal and headed in separate directions. Joey and Justin decided to take the trail that they were on earlier that week to see where it took them. Chris and Lance were just hanging around in the woods and looking at the new surroundings. JC took one of his notebooks from his bedroom and went to sit out by the lake.

 

He sat down and took in his surroundings. Everything was so calm and peaceful. Even the lake was peaceful from it settled after they left. JC had a feeling that sooner or later his writer's block would break and he had a good feeling that it would be here before the vacation was over. He took a deep breath and felt to calm and peaceful which was a complete contrast to the way he felt the past two weeks.

 

Once he felt relaxed he opened his notebook to a new page. He began to think about anything and everything. He was trying to get an idea. JC thought about Lance and how he set this whole thing up. Funny how he found a little bit of paradise so close to home, he thought. His unconscious thought registered in his mind and he quickly wrote it down so he wouldn't forget it. He knew that was a good line and figured he could make something from it.

 

Maybe today's the day my writer's block ends, JC thought. He began to play with words and phrases that would go with the first line he had written down in his notebook. After another two hours JC was still sitting there. He had written half a page and knew that his writer's block ended. Joey and Justin had come back around this time and saw JC scribbling in his notebook.

 

"Do you think we should bring him in? He's been out there for a while." Joey asked.

 

"Nah. Leave him go. He's finally got a break from his writer's block. He'll come in soon and if not, we'll call him in for dinner." Justin replied as he went to set up the Playstation and Joey followed.

 

An hour later JC had finished the song and was sure that it was a good one. He closed his notebook with his pen and set it beside him on the grass. His eyes closed and he sighed in relief. He was afraid that writer's block would never end. He was about to get up when all of the sudden he was pushed from behind.

 

JC came up coughing up water because he hadn't expected that. JC assumed it was Chris who pushed him in and called out, "Chris, you're so dead." But there was no one around.

 

"C'mon man. This isn't funny." JC was about to say something else when he was pulled under. He frantically tried to swim to the surface. After struggling with whatever had him he managed to reach the surface, but only had enough time to cry out help before he was pulled back under the water. JC kept struggling with all his might. He now knew that it couldn't possibly be one of the guys. They would never do anything to intentionally hurt him. JC's lungs burned for air, but there was nothing he could do except hope one of the guys heard his cry for help and come to his rescue.

 

Meanwhile, Chris and Lance were heading back from the woods. The whole time they had been out they observed the plant life and saw some animals. They had really enjoyed being apart of nature, but it was getting late and they had to get back. They were almost out of the woods when they heard a scream. Chris was the first to notice it.

 

"Did you hear that?"

 

"Hear what?" Lance asked.

 

"Someone screamed." Chris replied.

 

"Do you think one of the guys are hurt?" Lance looked over at Chris worried.

 

"I'm not sure. Let's check it out."

 

"Where though? We don't know where Joey and Justin are." Lance asked getting even more worried by the second.

 

"I'm sure JC's around. Maybe he knows." Chris said and they took off to the lake where they knew JC was. Chris was running in front of Lance when he stopped suddenly in front of the lake.

 

"What's the matter? Why'd you stop like that?" Lance asked as he peered around Chris.

 

"JC's not here." Chris said matter of factly.

 

"Maybe he went inside." Lance suggested.

 

"Without his notebook? I don't think so." Chris said eyeing the water. Lance saw what he was doing and turned to him.

 

"You don't think he was the one who screamed?" Lance asked very worried now.

 

"I don't think. I know." Chris replied before he jumped into the water. Lance paced worriedly. He wondered how long JC had been down there. While Lance was pacing, Chris was searching frantically for JC. He finally found him and went to pull him up to the surface, but found that he couldn't. Chris looked and saw seaweed wrapped around JC's right ankle. He freed JC's ankle and swam up to the surface with his arm around JC.

 

Chris got out of the water and dragged JC out. Lance stopped pacing and came over to where Chris laid JC down. Lance bent down and felt for a pulse.

 

"He doesn't have a pulse, does he?" Chris asked and Lance shook his head no. Lance began to do CPR and kept doing it for several minutes. Lance was about to give up when JC began to cough up all the water that had filled his lungs.

 

Lance and Chris breathed a sigh of relief and thanked God. Chris was the first to speak. "Are you OK, JC?"

 

JC sat up slowly. "I think so."

 

"Well here, let's get you into the house." Chris noticed he was very weak so he helped JC up and supported him while Lance got JC's notebook. The three of them headed to the cabin. Chris was the first one in and led JC up to his bedroom. Joey and Justin noticed Chris and JC were soaked and that JC was leaning on Chris for support so Joey asked, "What happened?"

 

"Not now." Was all Chris said before continuing his job. Lance came in shortly after Chris had. Justin saw the look on Lance's face. It was one of worry and fright.

 

"What's the matter, Lance? What happened?"

 

Lance sighed. "JC almost drowned in the lake. We were on our way back and Chris heard a scream. It was only one and no more. We figured it had to be one of you guys, but we didn't know who and we didn't know if you were back yet. So we took off to see JC because we thought he would know. That was when we noticed he wasn't there so Chris jumped in and pulled him out. I did CPR. We almost lost him." Lance had several tears running down his face. Joey and Justin sat in shock. They hadn't even heard the scream and they had been closer to JC than Chris and Lance.

 

"We didn't hear it. I'm sorry that we weren't out there." Joey said and Justin nodded.

 

"We have it all under control now, but it was so scary. This is the second bad thing that's happened to him since we've been here and we haven't even been here a week. I'm beginning to think this was a bad idea."

 

Joey was about to object to this when Chris came in. Lance saw him come in and asked, "How is he?"

 

"He's sleeping now." Chris said quietly. He was still as shocked as Lance with what happened.

 

"Did he tell you how it happened?" Justin pressed. He was curious to know how it happened.

 

"Yeah. He said that he was pushed in from behind. He thought it was me, but when he surfaced there was no one there."

 

Joey interrupted Chris by saying, "How could there be no one there?"

 

Chris just shrugged. "He said next thing he knew he was being pulled under and it was then that he knew it wasn't one of us because we would never do anything to hurt him. He managed to surface for a second and that's when he called for help. After he did, he got pulled under again." As Chris said this he got choked up, but he held back his tears.

 

"I can't believe this happened to him." Joey said at last breaking the silence.

 

"Is he going to be OK?" Justin asked.

 

"Yeah I think so. We probably wouldn't have him here though if Lance didn't do CPR." Chris stated.

 

"You did a great job, Lance." Joey said going over to him and putting a comforting hand on his shoulder.

 

"I knew there was no way we could lose him. I almost gave up, but he finally started breathing. I hope that I never live through something like that again. That was scary as hell. I mean he was technically dead. There wasn't much of a chance to bring him back. I'm just glad that he did." Lance said. He really had never needed to do CPR before and it scared him that he had to do on his best friend. He never would have imagined that.

 

"What do you say Joey and I make dinner?" Justin suggested noticing how tired and worn out Chris and Lance looked.

 

"Sure, J. Just down burn the house down, OK?" Chris replied managing a small smile.

 Dinner that night was quieter than it's ever been for them. They usually always had something to talk about or joke about, but no one uttered a word and they didn't eat as much as they normally do. All of them were too caught up in their thoughts of the day, each one cursing himself for not getting to JC sooner or sticking by him. They never had to before though so why would they now? Needless to say, they were a lot more grateful that night than they've ever been. They all went to bed hoping the rest of the vacation would be better.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story