JC awoke from his deep slumber feeling better than when we went to bed. He could still taste the lake water in his mouth. He was relieved that he was still alive. He remembered feeling death and it didn't feel good. It was very cold and empty. Nothing like the warmth and happiness that life brought him. JC looked out the window and saw the sun rising which surprised him. He didn't think he would be up this early. JC sighed and rolled over expecting to see Justin sleeping in the bed next to him, but was surprised to see Lance sitting on Justin's bed with his eyes closed.

 

Lance could feel someone looking at him and opened his eyes. He saw JC was up. "Morning. How are you feeling?"

 

JC was startled for a minute. He thought Lance had been sleeping. "I'm fine. What are you doing in Justin's bed?"

 

"We all thought it would be a good idea if someone sat with you through the night to make sure you didn't have any problems. They chose me to sit with you and Justin took my bed. They think I'm a doctor now or something." Lance explained.

 

"I could see you as a doctor. Paging Doctor Bass, paging Doctor Bass. We need you in surgery. Seriously, you're good with people. You would make a good doctor."

 

"Thanks, but I think I'll stick with performing. I don't think I could handle worrying about everyone in the hospital. I'll stick with worrying about my family."

 

"You worry too much. You're turning into me." JC said.

 

"Well I've lived with you for eight years. It was bound to rub off." Lance replied.

 

"I want to…uh…thank you for bringing me back." JC wanted to give his thanks, but wasn't comfortable talking about him almost dying.

 

Lance sat in surprise for a minute. He hadn't really expected that. He knew that JC appreciated it, but didn't think he would actually say it. "Your welcome."

 

Silence filled the room until Lance said, "C'mon I'll make some breakfast and coffee." Lance stood and waited for JC to see if he needed help. JC saw what he was doing and waved him off. He might not be perfectly healthy, but he was strong enough to hold himself up. Him and Lance walked into the kitchen. JC sat down at the table as Lance began preparing breakfast.

 

JC sat and watched Lance cook breakfast. He couldn't think of anything to say so he just watched Lance and listened to the bacon crackle on the stove. He took in Lance's features. He looked tired and had bags under his eyes and he could still see the worry lines in Lance's face.

 

"Are you OK?" JC asked. Lance turned around to look at him.

 

"Of course. Why do you ask?"

 

"You just look tired and worried."

 

"I didn't really get much sleep last night." Lance admitted and JC nodded. He figured Lance didn't sleep at all. Just then Joey and Chris came in.

 

"Morning guys." JC said.

 

Joey and Chris looked surprised to see JC up so early. "How are you feeling?"

 

"I'm good."

 

"How long have you been up?" Joey asked.

 

JC looked at Lance who said since six. Chris noticed Lance's features.

 

"Didn't you sleep last night?"

 

"No, not really." Lance replied knowing very well that he couldn't lie. He had never been good at it.

 

"You should take a nap." Joey said.

 

Lance waved his suggestion off. "I'm fine. Besides we still have about a week left. I'll catch up on the sleep I missed."

 

Lance set the table. "Would someone go wake up Curly?"

 

"No need I'm right here." Justin said from the doorway making his way to the table. Justin opened his mouth to say something, but JC cut him off.

 

"I'm fine, Justin."

 

"How did you know I was going to ask?"

 

"I knew because Lance asked and Joey and Chris asked."

 

"Oh. Well you know we just care about you is all."

 

"Yeah I know. I appreciate it." JC replied.

 

"How was your walk yesterday?" Chris asked Joey and Justin trying to make conversation.

 

"It was good, huh Just?" Joey looked across the table to Justin

 

"Yeah. Turns out that trail that we were on before leads to a clearing. It was really something. It had a field of flowers and you could see the mountains in the distance."

 

"It was really pretty." Joey agreed. "How was yours?"

 

"Lance and I had a good time. We just watched all of the life in the woods. You never would've thought how many plants and animals actually live in the woods. It was nice. Wasn't it, Lance?"

 

Lance looked up from his food. "Yeah. It was like being in Biology class again. I was always interested in that kind of stuff."

 

"How about you, JC?" Justin asked. "Joey and I came back from our walk and saw you scribbling in your notebook."

 

JC smiled brightly. "Yeah. It was great. My writer's block left. I got a song done and I have Lance to thank for it."

 

"Me? What did I do?" Lance was curious. He didn't think he did anything that was worthy of writing a song.

 

"You brought us here. I remember thinking it was funny how you found a little bit of paradise so close to home and that made something click in my mind. I'm so happy that I got a song done."

 

"Cool, man. We can wait to read it when we get back into the studio." Joey said with a smile. He was glad that something was going right for JC. Lance still felt bad about suggesting this and having all that happen to JC, but felt a little better that JC got a song done.

 

Joey caught Lance sigh and knew he was having a conflict inside himself. He wondered what, but remembered what Lance said last night and knew what the problem was. "Lance, it's not your fault. It was a great idea."

 

"What are you talking about?" Lance asked while knowing what he was talking about.

 

"Yeah, Joey. What's a great idea?" Chris looked over at Joey confused.

 

"He said how he thought it was a bad a idea to come here because of all the things that's been happening to JC. Right, Justin? He was there."

 

Justin nodded. "We were going to say something, but you came in." Justin replied looking at Chris.

 

"Is this true, Lance?" JC asked calmly, but he was pissed inside. He hated when Lance put blame on himself for something he didn't do. Lance nodded.

 

"How can you say that?" JC asked starting show some of his anger.

 

"How can I not?" Lance fired at JC. "All of these bad things are happening to you. They wouldn't have happened if it wasn't my idea to bring you guys here."

 

"It wasn't your fault. It could've happened to anyone. It just happened to me."

 

"Yeah, but you almost died! Hell you could've been dead for all I know. It was a miracle that I was able to revive you." Lance screamed.

 

"Lance!" Chris interjected. He couldn't believe Lance was raising his voice. He hardly ever raised his voice. I guess it affected him more than I thought, he concluded.

 

But what Chris said was ignored. "So what if I almost died? You brought me back didn't you?" JC fired back.

 

"Well yeah, but…" Lance started, but was interrupted by JC.

 

"No buts. It wasn't your fault. Yeah weird things have been happening to me, but it's not your fault. You didn't know this stuff would happen. Besides, not all of it has been bad. I've relaxed a lot more here and my writer's block is gone. It was a great idea to come here and it's still a great idea." JC's anger was shown completely. He needed to knock sense into Lance.

 

Lance let what JC said sink in for a minute and sighed. "I'm sorry, JC. I don't know what came over me."

 

"I know." JC said and Lance looked up at him. "You're blaming yourself because there's no one else to blame. The stuff that's been happening to me are freak accidents. It's caused by something, but we don't know what. I want answers as much as you do, but blaming yourself isn't going to help."

 

Everyone around the table held their breath. They were waiting to see if Lance would blow up again. Joey and Justin had just stayed quiet while JC and Lance were fighting. They didn't want to get involved especially after they saw that Chris was completely ignored.

 

Lance looked around and saw all of them were looking at him expectantly. "You're right, JC. I need to stop blaming myself. I'm sorry that I lost it. I just hate to see you get hurt and not know why."

 

"It's alright. I understand. I can't figure it out myself. We can find out though." JC replied.

 

"How's that?" Justin asked.

 

"I don't know. Go to a library or just look around here. There has to be a reason why all of this is happening." JC answered.

 

"Do you think someone's behind this?" Joey questioned. JC shrugged.

 

"I'm not sure. What do you say, Lance?" They all looked over at Lance.

 

Lance looked down at his hands. "I was thinking that someone has a grudge against JC for one reason or another and wants to kill him."

 

"There was no one there that day when JC "fell" down the hill." Chris pointed out.

 

"And I would've heard someone if they came up to me to push me. It's hard to believe someone's behind all this." JC said.

 

"That's the only theory I've come up with so far. I don't know what else it could be." Lance replied.

 

"Do you…do you think it could be…ghosts?" Chris whispered eerily.

 

Joey knew what Chris was doing and played along. "Did you hear that?"

 

"Hear what?" Justin asked as Chris made his way out of his chair and crept up behind Justin.

 

"Boo!" Justin jumped and clutched his chest while all the guys burst out laughing.

 

"What are you trying to do, Chris? Give me a heart attack?" Justin asked.

 

"C'mon, man. You don't really believe in that stuff, do you?" JC looked at Justin.

 

"Nah. I just didn't expect Chris to come up behind me and scare the daylights out of me." Justin replied.

 

"There's got to be a reason all this has happened." Lance insisted.

 

Joey shrugged. "That may be so, but we don't know why or what did it so let's just leave it go. I doubt anything else will happen."

 

They all agreed and went off to play against each other on the Playstation. JC couldn't help but think that maybe Lance was right. Maybe someone was trying to kill him. He couldn't understand why though. He was friends with a bunch of people. JC decided to listen to Joey and let it go. If Joey was that confident that nothing else would happen, then all JC could do was hope that Joey was right.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story