"How is he doing?" Justin asked when he saw Lance come into the living room. He, along with Joey and Chris, moved into the living room while Lance went to talk to JC.

 

"Geez, Justin. You make it sound like he's dying." Joey retorted. They all paused briefly at this. Joey hadn't meant anything by it, but it had a lot to do with the situation JC's in. However, they let it go and pretended like they didn't hear it.

 

"He's fine. He just needed to calm down and think some things through." Lance answered Justin's question.

 

"What did he say to you? Did he try to get you to believe him?" Chris questioned.

 

"I can't. Patient confidentiality. Chris, you of all people, should know that." Lance joked referring to when Chris took psychology in college.

 

Lance thought about Chris's second question for a minute when he realized that maybe the guys didn't believe JC as much as he thought they did. "What do you mean 'did he try to get you to believe him'?"

 

"I mean it's pretty obvious that he's mad and frustrated that no one agrees with him so he's going to try to get someone on his side. Someone who hasn't commented on his situation yet." Chris explained.

 

"Of course he's trying to get someone on his side. Wouldn't you if all of your friends were against you?" Lance challenged. He was kind of mad, but more shocked that his friends would act this way.

 

"Yeah, but it's just so hard to believe." Joey piped in. He wanted to try and level things out the best he could between all of them. He knew if he didn't do something soon there would a massive explosion.

 

"It wouldn't be so hard to believe if you guys weren't so close-minded." Lance pointed out.

 

"Lance, c'mon. This is JC we're talking about. He doesn't believe in ghosts. Be reasonable." Chris wanted to make his point and get through to Lance. He might have to work at it though. Lance was stubborn when he believed strongly in something.

 

"No, Chris. You be reasonable. Things change, you know that. What makes this any different? So what if JC didn't used to believe in ghosts? He saw something that he claims is a ghost and how could he see it if he doesn't believe in it? There's a famous quote 'you have to see it to believe it'. Well this is exactly what happened with JC. I just don't understand why none of you believe one of your best friends. I'm beginning to question whether or not you are really his friends." Lance shot back.

 

Chris was shocked into silence for a minute. He knew that Lance was right that things change. The shock faded away to anger. How dare he say that we're not his friends, he thought.

 

"Of course we're his friends! How can you say that?"

 

"How can I not? If you were really his friends you would stick by him through this and believe him." Lance's green eyes took on a bright green color that showed his anger and annoyance.

 

"Hey! We're still his friends. We haven't turned our backs on him. We're still thinking this over." Joey objected and was shot with glares by Lance and Chris. Joey mumbled a sorry and went back to just listening because it was apparent that he couldn't do anything to prevent the argument from furthering.

 

"Being a good friend means being concerned. It doesn't always mean agreeing with them." Chris objected.

 

Lance was put to silence with that. Chris had a good point. Chris took the silence from Lance and used it to defend himself.

 

"It's not that I don't agree that he saw the ghost. I'm just doubtful of whether or not it was actually there."

 

Lance saw where this was going. "So what you think he's seeing things now?"

 

Chris shrugged. "It's a possibility. None of us saw it. We only have JC's word."

 

"Shouldn't that be good enough?" Lance asked.

 

"It should, but I don't think so. Not right now."

 

"How can you say that? We've always trusted each others words."

 

"Yeah, but we're not in the 'did you really do this' situation. This is totally different than what we normally deal with so excuse me for not believing everything I'm told." Chris replied.

 

Justin looked over at Joey and shot him a questioning look. Joey just shrugged. He had already tried and failed. Justin knew he had to do try something to stop what was happening. Things were getting out of hand. "Guys!" He yelled to be heard over each other bickering.

 

"What?!" Chris and Lance both snapped and turned to him at the same time.

 

Justin cleared his throat nervously. "I think there's a better way to settle this. Let's sit down and talk again."

 

But Justin's suggestion was ignored as Chris and Lance turned back to each other. "Alright.” Lance sighed. "You're suggesting that the ghost might not have been there. So how do you propose we find out if it was really there or not?"

 

"I don't know!" Chris yelled in frustration. This had to be the first major fight that he ever had with Lance. He took a deep breath to calm down and spoke again. "Look, we want to help. We're just still in shock about this whole thing."

 

Lance was tired of trying to convince Chris. "You really surprise me, Chris. Out of everyone here I thought you would believe him. I guess I'm wrong." Lance turned and started to walk off when he turned back around. "Oh by the way, being a good friend means listening to them. I have been, have you?"

 

Chris, Joey, and Justin watched as Lance took off to a different part of the house. "You're really getting on people's good sides today, Chris." Joey commented.

 

"Joey, shut up." Chris sighed. He didn't want to get into a fight with Lance about JC. He didn't even know why he said what he had. He only felt half of the anger he expressed. He was more unable to believe everything that had happened to JC and what might happen. That's when he realized it. He believed JC, but not his predicament.

 

"I'm going to talk to JC." Chris said as he started heading upstairs.

 

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Justin asked and Chris waved him off.

 

"I know what I'm doing." Chris replied as he reached the top of the stairs. He got to JC and Justin's room and knocked on the door.

 

"Who is it?" came from inside the room.

 

"It's Chris. Can I come in? I want to talk." Chris stood there and waited a few minutes. He was about to turn and leave when the door opened. JC looked at Chris for a minute and opened the door wider so he could enter. Each of them sat down so they could talk.

 

"I want to apologize, JC." Chris decided to start off the conversation with an apology because God knows he owed it to JC.

 

"What for?" JC blinked. He hadn't expected Chris to apologize for anything.

 

"For not believing you. I haven't really been listening to what you had to say when I should have. I'm sorry."

 

"It's OK. I understand."

 

"I guess I didn't want to believe you because then that means that all of these bad things have been happening to you for a reason." Chris paused and added, "At least that's what Lance says."

 

"Lance said that?" JC frowned. Lance hadn't told him about that.

 

"Yeah. When we were talking about it while you were sleeping. That's his theory. He says this ghost may be related to all the bad things happening to you." Chris explained.

 

"It makes sense." JC agreed. "I just don't understand why Lance didn't tell me."

 

"I'm sure that he probably forgot or maybe he just didn't want you to worry about it. You know be paranoid that you're going to be killed or whatever." Chris assured.

 

"Yeah. I guess that's it. So you believe me now?" JC asked and Chris nodded.

 

"It took a fight with Lance for me to realize it though. So now he's mad at me."

 

"Really? You guys had a fight?" Chris nodded. "What's up with Lance these days? He's seems really uptight."

 

"I think he's just all bothered about what's been happening to you and that he can't fix it. You know how Lance is." JC nodded his agreement. "Well I'm going to go and battle it out with Joey and Justin. You know to give Lance some time to cool down some more before I talk to him. You coming?"

 

"Nah. I'm going to take a nap. I'm still beat." JC said lying on his bed already under the covers.

 

Chris laughed. "Alright. Night, Sleepy." He walked out the door and closed the door behind him.

 

"Well you're still in one piece." Joey noted.

 

"Yeah everything's good between us now." Chris replied. "Who's ready to get beat by the master?" The three of them got into a long war of Playstation games.

 

Meanwhile upstairs JC had fallen asleep as soon as Chris left the room and he was having the dream again. This time the dream went beyond where it had before.

"Nuh uh. You hafta catch me first!" She ran down the hill laughing all the way and JC on her heels.  

Once they were at the bottom of the hill they ran toward the lake. The girl still ahead of JC, but he was easily keeping of with her. He finally managed to tackle her to the ground.  

"Got you! Got you!" JC chanted. JC got up off of her and she got up off the ground.  

"Nuh uh. I got you!" she said and then jumped on JC knocking them both into the water.  

JC was able to surface with hardly any trouble at all. He swam to the surface and got out. He stared at the lake waiting for her to surface. Only she didn't.  

"Mandy! Mandy, it's not funny! C'mon!" JC called and called her name, but no little girl surfaced from the lake water.  

JC stood there for a minute not knowing what to do when it donned on him that he should go get help. He took off and ran toward the house where he knew his mom was screaming 'Mandy fell in the lake' the whole way.  

The last images of the dream were the police pulling her limp, dead body out of the water. JC woke with a start and shot up in bed. His heart was pounding from the dream he just had. It was something that disturbed him to no end, but he didn't waste time thinking about it. He took off to find Lance. He needed talk with him and sort it all out.

 

"Guys, do you know where Lance is?" JC asked when he saw Joey and Justin sitting on the couch watching a movie.

 

"Yeah. He's in the study. Chris went in there ten minutes ago to apologize and we haven't heard any screams so we're guessing they're fine." Justin filled in.

 

"Thanks." JC took off for the study. Why didn't I think of that? Lance always goes somewhere quiet to think, JC said to himself. He opened the door to the study and sure enough he found Chris and Lance in there talking quietly. He watched the two talk for a minute and then saw them hug each other.

 

"Aw, a Kodak moment." JC's comment pulled Chris and Lance from their hug.

 

"Chris was apologizing for before." Lance explained. He took one look at JC and knew something was up.

 

"What's up?"

 

"I had the dream again. I got a name this time. The girl's name was Mandy." JC told Lance ignoring Chris. He was sure Chris was confused because he hadn't told him about his dreams, but JC wasn't going to take the time out to explain it to him.

 

"Did you say Mandy?" Lance asked and JC nodded.

 

"Why?"

 

"Because I was I looking for a book to read and happened to find a log of the deaths at this cabin." Lance looked up at JC. "And it had a girl named Mandy in it. There was a description with a picture. The picture is of a boy and a girl. Here let me show you." Lance took the book off of the desk where he had set it so he could show JC later. He turned to the page he had marked and took the photo out.

 

Lance handed the photo to JC. "Do you recognize any of those kids?"

 

JC stared at it for a minute. The boy had dark brown hair and deep blue eyes just like his. That was when it donned on him. The boy in the picture was him. He focused on the girl this time and recognized her as the girl from his dreams. She had the same blond hair and green eyes.

 

"That's me." JC said pointing at the boy and then at the girl. "She's from my dreams."

 

"That's what I figured when I saw the picture. I knew it was you and I figured the girl had to be from your dream." Lance agreed.

 

"So what does it say in the book?" JC asked.

 

"Cause of death of drowning. According to the autopsy, she had hit her head off a rock and it knocked her unconscious. That's how she drowned."

 

"I saw it in my dream. I saw her fall in and she didn't come back up. I ran to get to help, but I guess it was too late." JC recalled the events of his dream.

 

Lance sighed. "Well now it makes sense why there's a ghost here. I've read that ghosts don't normally like to leave the area they died." JC stood there in awe for a few minutes. It never occurred to him that the scenery in his dreams was the same as where he was staying.

 

"So what do you think she wants from me?" JC looked up into Lance's eyes looking for an honest answer.

 

"Revenge."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story