"So what do you think I should do?" JC asked quietly. He hadn't been expecting a positive answer from Lance, but he didn't think it was going to be that.

 

"I think-" Lance began, but was cut off by Chris.

 

"You know what I think? I think someone should tell me what's going on here."

 

"He's right. We've left them in the dark." JC turned to Lance. "Should we tell them?"

 

Lance nodded. "It's probably best that they know what's happening."

 

"OK. Let's get this over with." JC said heading to the living room where Joey and Justin were. He had forgotten about telling the others and he was afraid what they would think. But now it's necessary for them to know in case weird things happen again. JC walked over to the TV and turned it off.

 

"Hey!" Joey and Justin protested.

 

"We were watching that." Justin added.

 

"I don't care." JC replied and remained standing in front of the TV.

 

"JC has something to tell us." Chris explained and sat down next to Joey. Lance moved to sit in the armchair.

 

JC took a deep breath before he began. "There's something I haven't told you guys, but I've told Lance." JC paused for a minute to gather his thoughts. "I've been having dreams."

 

Joey interrupted JC with, "So? People have dreams."

 

"Yeah, but these dreams are different. They are from my past when I was five."

 

"Again I say, so?" Chris smacked Joey upside the head. "Hey!"

 

"This is serious, Joey. Just listen."

 

"How do you know this is serious?" Justin asked Chris.

 

"Because I was in the study when JC and Lance were talking about the dream. I could tell it was serious."

 

"Anyway." JC said pointedly looking at Joey. "There's a little girl in my dream. Her name is Mandy. Lance thinks that she's the ghost that I saw."

 

"How's that?" Justin asked.

 

"I stumbled upon a book that held the death records of the cabin. There was a girl that died here. I showed the picture that was in the book to JC that it was the girl from his dream." Lance explained to Justin and Joey since Chris had overheard that part in the study.

 

"This still doesn't make any sense. What exactly happened in your dreams, JC?" Chris asked.

 

"My first dream was just me and her playing tag and chasing each other in the woods. My second dream was where I saw her die. I pinned her to the ground, but I got off of her. When I did she jumped on me throwing both of us into the lake." JC stopped and sighed. He hated revisiting this image he got from his dream. "I was able to come up right away, but not her. I waited for a few minutes thinking she was kidding. When I realized it, I ran toward the house screaming that she fell in the lake."

 

"So she drowned?" Justin guessed.

 

JC nodded. "The last image I got from my dream was the police pulling her body from the lake." JC shuddered. That image always unnerved him.

 

Lance saw JC's discomfort and took over. "I told JC that she had hit her head off a rock and that's why she drowned. I came to decide that the ghost JC saw was in fact Mandy and that she wanted revenge from JC."

 

"Why would she want revenge if they were friends?" Chris question and focused his attention on Lance.

 

"I'm not sure. The only thing I can think of is that he got to live and she didn't. Like it was his fault that she died because he hadn't got help soon enough. Those are only theories though. Mandy is the only one who can answer that question." Lance explained.

 

"I guess that makes sense." Joey said.

 

"There's one thing that I don't get though." Chris stated.

 

"What's that?" the others asked.

 

"JC, how tall was the ghost?"

 

JC looked over at Chris not sure where this was coming from. "I don't know an exact height, but it looked like an adult. Why?"

 

"Because I thought when people died they stayed that way when they became a ghost. So if that's true then you should have been seeing the ghost of child, not an adult." Chris reasoned.

 

"Yeah. I've read that before. I just assumed that it was wrong because who else would be after JC? She's the only one that really has a motive or a reason." Lance relied.

 

Everyone was thinking this over until Justin said, "What about her mother?" All of the guys turned and looked at him.

 

"You mean the mother might be the one after JC?" Joey asked.

 

"Yeah. It makes sense. I know that my mother wouldn't easily forgive something like that. All mothers are very protective over their kids so I think she could have a motive. Maybe even more than the daughter because Mandy and JC were friends. If she was a true friend she wouldn't blame JC for something that she was the cause of." Justin explained.

 

They all sat there in awe of what Justin said. Joey was the one who broke the silence. "I think that's one of the smartest things you've ever said."

 

"Hey! I'm not stupid. I'm very smart." Justin laughed at Joey's joke.

 

"I think you may be right, J." Chris said at last.

 

"If she was a ghost though wouldn't she had to of died here too? You know since Lance says ghosts stay in the place they died." JC spoke up for the first time since he told them about the dreams. He wanted to hear their takes on his situation before he decided what to do.

 

"I'll go get the book." Lance left for the study and came back a few minutes later with the book in hand. He opened it up and started looking through it.

 

"Can we see the picture of Mandy while you're looking?" Justin asked. Lance nodded and handed the picture over to him. Joey looked over Justin's shoulder and Chris moved to the stand in front of Justin so he could see it. They took in the little boy and girl standing side by side.

 

"Aw, you look so cute, JC." Chris teased.

 

"Do you think she was his girlfriend?" Joey played along seeing how they both had identical smiles and were blushing.

 

"What did you say to her before this picture was taken? She's redder than you are." Justin teased along with Joey and Chris. JC just blushed and didn't say anything.

 

"OK. Enough teasing JC you guys." Lance added, "I have it narrowed down to three women. I don't know which one's Mandy's mother though."

 

"Did you check to see what Mandy's last name was?" JC asked.

 

Lance shook his head. "I guess that would be helpful."

 

"Man! What's wrong with you Lance? Are you feeling OK?" Chris went over to Lance and put his hand to Lance's forehead. Lance swatted it away playfully.

 

"I can be a little off occasionally. I'm not perfect and I make mistakes." Lance replied.

 

"You mean you're not God?" Joey snapped his fingers. "Darn. I really thought you were and came down to keep us from going to hell." The guys all laughed at this. Lance was always the butt of jokes, but Lance didn't mind. He knew it was all in good fun.

 

After a few minutes of trying to decipher Mandy's last name he got it and his face drained of all color.

 

"What is it, Lance?" JC asked worriedly. He had never seen Lance go that pale that fast except for the time he passed out in rehearsals back when they first started out.

 

"Her last name…" Lance started and shook his head. There was no way.

 

"Her last name was what, Lance?" Joey pressed.

 

"Bass." Lance said quietly. This shocked them all into silence. It was almost as shocking as when JC told them he had seen a ghost.

 

"Are you sure that's not a misprint?" Chris walked over to Lance and looked over his shoulder at the book. He pried Lance's shaky hands away from the book and took a closer look at the last name. It was scribbled in cursive and hard to read, but Lance was right. It said 'Bass.'

 

"Maybe it's just a coincidence. There are probably a hundred people out there with the same last name as you." Justin tried to reassure him, but knew it wasn't helping.

 

"No, think about it. The girl has blond hair and green eyes like me. I don't remember her though." Lance objected shakily.

 

"So you think she was your sister or cousin?" JC asked.

 

"I don't know. I know about as much about her as you do, JC. Probably even less since I don't dream about her."

 

"Man can our lives get any weirder?" Joey asked.

 

All of the guys turned to him. "Shut up."

 

"Was it something I said?"

 

"If you say that then it's just going to get even stranger." Chris answered and flipped to one of the pages that was marked by Lance.

 

"I found Mandy's mother, Katrina Bass. It says here that she committed suicide and from the date in this book, it was a couple days after her daughter died." Chris explained.

 

"I think you just may be right, Just. I think Mandy's mom is after JC for revenge." Lance said quietly.

 

They all stood in silence for a minute, taking in all of the new information that they've learned in the past hour and a half.

 

"So what do we do now?" Joey asked.

 

"About what?" Justin replied.

 

"Everything." Joey answered.

 

"I think we should just go to bed. We can come up with ideas on how to keep Katrina Bass from getting her revenge on JC in the morning." Chris said.

 

"What if she comes tonight to finish off what she started?" JC asked worriedly. This was all too much to take in. He didn't want to die especially by one of Lance's family members. That would be like Lance killing JC himself. JC shuddered at the thought.

 

"Hopefully she won't, but if she does you yell for any one of us. We won't let you die. I promise." Chris assured JC.

 

"OK. I trust you. Thanks." JC hoped she wouldn't be coming to see him that night as he headed to bed. It took him a while, but he finally managed to go to sleep hoping that he would wake up the next morning.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story