Chapter 10: Starting Over

After cleaning up a little around the house, Jocelyn went and got dressed in casual pants and a shirt putting make up on, and her hair up. Not that she would be photographed or anything…but old habits die hard. She then got into her truck, and headed to her high school. She sang along to the country radio station as she drove, laughing at herself. Good times of her teenage life flashed through her head. Times of her and Allyson singing to the radio on the way to school and little trips on weekends. Teenage life was great for them. She soon reached the high-school and got out of her truck. She walked into the main building; everyone was in 5th period right now. She was going to go say hi to the principle before she went around and visited old teachers and such, because she didn’t want to get in-trouble. As she walked down the hall looking at the classrooms and lockers she remembered her high school experiences. As she turned the corner she came across the music room. She walked to the door and looked into the same window. She saw Lance with the instructors stick pointing at the chalk board; he looked good in dress slacks, and a short sleeve button down shirt. Jocelyn smiled as she watched him. She knew he wanted to teach, he’s always wanted too. Lance then turned and looked at the window sensing someone watching him. He saw Jocelyn and his eyes kind of widened in shock. Jocelyn smiled and waved, as he grinned back at her. She then pointed to her right meaning “I’ll be back”. He nodded and went back to teaching. Jocelyn then made her way to the principles office. It was the same principle who was there when she was a teen, and Jocelyn was a ‘sweet’ girl, so she thought why not visit. It would get rid of another person on her long list of people to visit. She walked into the waiting area and sat down after leaving her name with the secretary. After sitting for about 20 minutes, she was called in. Jocelyn adjusted her clothes as she walked into the office where her principle Mr. Bauer was looking up at her.

“Can I help you?” he asked
Jocelyn smiled “You don’t remember me, do you?” she asked
Mr. Bauer looked at the young women in front of him
“Jocelyn?” he asked
She smiled and laughed
“Oh wow, look at you” he said and stood up walking towards her
Jocelyn smiled as she walked towards him, and they hugged.
“You look wonderful, how are you?” he asked
“Great” she said “How are you doing?”
He grinned “Pretty good” he said breaking the hug “Would you like something to drink?”
“Oh no, thank you” Jocelyn said smiling
He then walked back to his chair
“Please…sit down” he said motioning to the chair that was in front of his desk.
Jocelyn did so, and sat down, and he watched her smiling.
“So how long have you been in town?” he asked
“Uh about 3 weeks or so” she said “Sorry I didn’t come sooner…” she said smiling “I’ve had to see so many people”
He smiled “Oh don’t worry about it” he said “It is good to see how my students do though”
She grinned “Thanks…” she said semi blushing
“So, anything in the works for your new book?” he asked
“Uh no…I’m trying to get some ideas together…coming home was for my break though…so my agent doesn’t want me to work too hard” she said
“Oh…” he said
They talked for a little longer, just about how the school was doing, and their families.
“Could I ask a favor of you?” Mr. Bauer asked
Jocelyn smiled “Sure…” she said
He then opened his side drawer, and took out a book and a sharpie pen. He handed it to her, and Jocelyn had to laugh. It was her latest book
“Could you sign this for my wife” he said “It’s her birthday next week, and she would die if she had a signed copy”
Jocelyn smiled “Sure…” she said “what’s her name?”
“Susan” he said
Jocelyn took the book, and the pen and signed a little birthday message on there and her name. She then handed it back to him, and he smiled gratefully.
“Thank you so much” he said “You have no idea what this will mean to her”
Jocelyn smiled “I’m sure I do” she said
He then put the book back into his drawer, and looked at her
“Now…could I ask you a favor?” she asked
He laughed “I knew this was coming” he said “What is it?”
“Could I get a pass…” she said “To walk around the school”
“Oh of course” he said getting a pass out of his drawer
He handed one to her, it was on a necklace and she smiled taking it.
“Thank you” she said
He smiled “My pleasure…you can personalize it and everything” he said
She laughed “Thank you” she said putting it around her neck

He nodded; they talked then said their good-byes so that Jocelyn could go wonder around campus before school was out. Jocelyn then walked back towards Lance’s class room. There was about 20 minutes left of 5th period to go, so Jocelyn went down the hall way she had come down before. She stopped again at the door and looked through the window. Lance was sitting at his desk, while the students worked. Jocelyn was about to tap the window when she stopped herself, she didn’t want to interrupt the class. As she was about to walk away, the door opened.

“Can I help you…Joc?” he questioned
Jocelyn looked up “Hey” she said
Lance smiled and closed the door behind him as he stepped out into the hall.
“How’d the visit with Mr. Bauer go?” he asked
“Fine” she held up her pass “I signed a book for his wife”
“Oh, and he gave you a one day pass?” he asked
“No, he gave me an every day pass” she said smiling
Lance laughed “You weirdo” he said
Jocelyn smiled, and then looked at him kind of shyly.
“You looked really good in there” Jocelyn said
Lance looked at her kind of confused, Jocelyn giggled
“I mean teaching” she clarified “Like; you know what you’re doing…”
“Oh…I thought…”
“Yea, I know what you thought” she said smiling
He laughed and rubbed the back of his neck
“Ok…so I got places to go” she started “Mind if I come back though?”
“Oh yea, no problem” he said

She walked down to the English hall. Lance watched her walk away and sighed. He ran a hand through his hair, and then walked back into the classroom. All his students were watching him, the girls snickering. He smiled and shook his head

“Back to work you guys” he said
“Who was that?” a girl asked
“A high-school friend” he said
They all looked at him like “yea right”. He sat back down at his desk, the noticed they weren’t working
“C’mon guys, unless you want homework” he said
Immediately they started to work again. Lance also went back to what he was doing.

Jocelyn went back down the English Hall; trying to find her senior year English teacher. He had helped her majorly; he helped her decide what colleges were good and became an inspiration for her to become a writer. Mr. Smith was his name and deep thinking was his game. Jocelyn remembered all the essay’s he made them write; she hated it then but is thankful for it now. She found his classroom and looked into the room. He was sitting at his desk, his students working/talking. He was a kind of laid back teacher and let his kids talk as long as they did their work. She took a deep breath and knocked on the door. Mr. Smith looked up and saw her. He smiled and got up to walk to the door. Jocelyn smiled back as he opened the door.

“Jocelyn!” he smiled
“Hey Mr. Smith” she said
They hugged
“Finally come to see me huh?” he asked
She smiled kind of blushing “Life’s been hectic”
“I bet” he said

They talked outside then Jocelyn came into the class, and talked to the students for a couple minutes. Then the bell rang for 5th period to go and for 6th period to start. The students left and then Jocelyn left and visited another teacher. About 10 minutes into 6th period, she headed back to Lance’s classroom. He was explaining today’s work; Jocelyn snuck in and went so sit in the back. Some students turned and looked at her. She smiled and shhed them. They all laughed and turned back around, Lance continued his lesson.

“Who was the best pianist of this time?” Lance asked
No one raised their hands. Jocelyn smiled and raised her hand. Lance just saw the hand
“Yes” he said
“You…” Jocelyn replied her accent full
Everyone laughed. Lance’s eyes scrunched in confusion. He looked at the owner of the hand. His cheeks went red, and he shook his head.
“Jocelyn…what are you doing?” he asked
“Learning” Jocelyn said with the sweetest smile
The class laughed, Jocelyn smiled, her eyes twinkling. Lance smirked, his cheeks turning even redder.
“Ok!” Lance broke in “Can I continue my lecture?”
The class giggled but nodded and calmed down. Lances face went back to its original color. Jocelyn pursed her lips together, trying not to laugh.
“Now” Lance began “Where were we?”
The class was silent, Lance looked around
“No one can tell me where we were?” he asked
Silence again, Lance sighed
“Best pianist of the time” Jocelyn whispered
Lance turned and saw her, he smiled
“How is it that Jocelyn can remember, and she wasn’t in here for more then a minute or so?” he asked
There was silence as Lance looked at his students. No one said anything. Lance sighed, running his hands through his hair then he picked up a pack of papers on his desk and held them up.
“Homework” he announced
The class groaned
“I don’t want to hear it, that’s what you get for not paying attention…” he said starting to pass it out.
Some girls turned around to talk to Jocelyn
“How long have you known Mr. Bass?” one asked
Jocelyn laughed “I knew of him, all my life, but we didn’t become friends until high school”
“What was he like?” another asked
Jocelyn had to laugh; the girls were fascinated with the James Lance Bass.
“Basically how he is now…rude and mean” Jocelyn started then laughed “No I’m just kidding…he was a jock…popular…you know how the jocks here are?”
They nodded
“He was the same way” she said to them
“Did you go out with him?” another asked
“Girls!” Lance’s voice was heard
They all ducked and turned around to the front. Lance was looking at them threateningly.
“Get to work” he said sternly

They did so quietly. Lance then looked at Jocelyn; she semi smiled and got up. They walked back outside the classroom.

“Sorry about causing a disturbance” Jocelyn said
He smiled “Don’t worry about it, they’re my worst class” he said
Jocelyn laughed; Lance smiled and looked down at his shoes. He always loved her laugh, he laughed every time she did. Jocelyn then adjusted her purse on her arm
“I guess I better go” Jocelyn said
“What else are you doing today?” Lance asked
“Nothing…everyone has a life but me” Jocelyn said
“That’s not true” Lance said
“Sure it is, Allyson has Jenee and Joey, J’s got his job and Jack, you have your job”
“You have a job” he replied
She shrugged “I guess so” she said
“And Josh…” Lance said
“Who told you about Josh?” she asked
“Oh um” he kinda moved from side to side getting nervous “Your mom told me awhile ago”
Jocelyn smiled at his nervousness
“Actually, we’re not together anymore” Jocelyn said
“Oh…how come?” he asked
“I really…don’t want to talk about it…” she replied
Lance nodded “Ok, no problem” he said
“Not that I don’t trust you or anything…its jus-“she was cut off
“Joc…it’s ok” Lance began “You don’t have to explain, I know what its like to be apart from someone you’ve been with for a long time…”

Jocelyn kinda smiled. She could feel her face turning red; she took a deep breath trying to get relaxed again.

“Ok well I better get going…maybe I’ll go see my mom at her work or something” she said
Lance smiled “You can stay…if you’d like” he said
Jocelyn shrugged and looked a the floor
“Since when are you so shy?” he asked
Jocelyn blushed “Stuff happens…” she said
He nodded knowing she didn’t want to talk about it, and then he got an idea
“I’m fixing up this house, you wanna come see it later?” he blurted
Jocelyn looked at him, and semi smiled
“Umm” she pursed her lips together “Sure”
He grinned “Great!” he said “How about I make dinner, we’ll have a picnic or something”
“Well…you know” Jocelyn started “I promised my mom I would have dinner with them tonight”
“Oh well…desert then?” he asked
Jocelyn smiled “Sure…” she said
“Good” he said then looked at the class “Well I better get back in there”
She smiled “Ok, call me after school so I can get directions…”
He nodded “Will do” he said
She took out one of her cards with her number on it in Malibu out of her purse. She scribbled down her cell phone number on it then handed it to him.
“Oh wow, you even have a card” he said looking at it
Jocelyn laughed “Yea yea” she said then adjusted her purse on her arm. “Ok well, I’ll see you then”

He nodded; she then turned to walk to the parking lot. He watched her walk then looked at the card he held. Jocelyn walked willing herself not to turn around; she looked through her purse for her keys. She got them and continued her walk to the car. She got in and drove towards her moms work. That was too weird for her, old feelings came back and she didn’t want that, not now. As she was driving down the road her cell phone rang she dug through her purse then finally found it and answered.

“Hello”
“Hey J”
“Brandon (she laughed) didn’t I jus talk to you?”
“Yes, you’re not busy are you?”
“No, I jus left my school”
“Oh so you did go…how was it?”
“Interesting…”
“Where you headed now?”
“To my moms work…”
“OoO fun”
“I know, so what’s up?”
“I was told to ask you when you’d like to come back to work?”
“Serious? By who?”
“Who do think?”
Jocelyn groaned “Well, tell him I’m working on ideas and will have a summary soon”
“Ok, will do”
“So besides that, anything else?”
“Nope, you?”
“Maybe…”
“What do you mean?”
“Well, I don’t have time now to explain I’ll call you later ok?”
“Oh alright, I’ll let you go”
“Ok, bye”
“Bye J”

Jocelyn hung up; she put the phone on the passenger seat and continued her drive. She knew she couldn’t get involved now, there was too much going on. She needed to talk to someone, anyone about it. She reached her moms work; it was the most famous hair salon in town. Her mom worked there forever and is now the owner. Jocelyn looked at herself in the mirror once again; she put more lip gloss on then got out and headed to the entrance. She walked in and everyone turned and saw her.
“Jocelyn!” all the women squealed
Jocelyn knew all of them; they were all like mothers to her. She sat and talked with them for a bit.
Chapter End Notes:
*&*Traci*&*

Comments? Questions? E-mail me at Spacey1141@hotmail.com


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story