Chapter 17: The Next Step

3 weeks had passed since Josh met Will at that restaurant, and they thought of their plan. They had e-mailed each other constantly since thinking of the plan and finally it fell through. Will’s project ended a week early. So, he spent that week packing, and getting ready for his ‘trip’. He went and bought a laptop, cameras, everything he would need to get information back to Josh, who paid for everything. They were sitting at that same table at that little restaurant going over last minute plans.

“Here’s your ticket” Josh said handing the envelope to Will
Will took it, opening it up and seeing his ticket.
“Alright” he replied
“Your flight is at 12:00 tomorrow” Josh said, “Your reservation is at the Morning Inn”
Will nodded taking the other papers out of the envelope; it was directions to the hotel.
“Also, your rental car…I got you a Jeep” Josh said
Will nodded again, and then put the things back into the envelope.
“Are you sure this is ok?” Will asked
Josh nodded “Jus say you’re doing a story on an ol fashioned country town, talk about the houses and things” he said, “They’ll love it”
Will looked at him still unsure.
“Take pictures of the houses, interview some people,” he said, “It’ll be perfect”
Will took a sip of his iced-tea and put the envelop in his pocket, and Josh watched him.
“Are you sure you’re up for it?” Josh asked
“Yes, I just…don’t want to be arrested” Will said
“You won’t” Josh reassured
There was silence as both men ate their meals, Josh watched him.
“You have no idea what this means to me Will” Josh said,
Will looked at him, with a semi smile.
“So…what are you gonna do if she moved on JC…if she found someone else…what are you gonna do?” Will asked
“Well, maybe it won’t be like that” Josh said, “Maybe she’s as miserable as I am”
“You haven’t been that miserable” Will said, “If I remember correctly, the girls you left with-“
“So what?” Josh said, “It’s okay to be lonely…”
Will shook his head taking the last drink of his tea
“Ok, I better go I have to finish packing” he said
Josh nodded grabbing the check and getting his wallet out. They walked out to the parking lot, and hugged good-bye.
“Call me when you land ok?” Josh asked
Will nodded “Will do” he said

They walked their separate ways to their cars. Will started his and headed down the road to his home, while Josh drove the opposite way to his home.

~The Next Day~

Jocelyn woke up that morning early. Her dad and mom were going away for the weekend to celebrate their anniversary. Jocelyn had set up plans for them to go to the coast and stay at a penthouse hotel room for the weekend. Having ‘celebrity’ status made it easier and cheaper. She got up, putting a robe on and fixing her hair. She walked out into the living room where her parents were getting things together.

“Happy anniversary guys” Jocelyn said
Dianna looked at her “Thank you baby” she said
Jocelyn went and hugged both her parents. She then noticed the vase of a dozen carnations all colors sitting on the coffee table.
“Aw, who got you these? Dad?” she questioned
Dianna looked at her “No, they’re for you” she said
Jocelyn looked at her mom, then at the flowers. She walked over and took off the little card.

“Joc”Meet me at my classroom at 12:00. I’ve got a surprise. See you then. Love Lance”

Jocelyn put the note back in its envelope. She and Lance hadn’t really seen each other since. He had been busy with school and she was starting her new book. They talked on the phone during the week but never for too long.
“Who’s it from?” Dianna asked
“Lance” Jocelyn replied
Dianna nodded. Jeff finished loading the car with their luggage then came back in the house.
“Well that’s all of it” Jeff said
Dianna smiled “I guess we’re off then” she said
Jocelyn hugged her parents.
“Bye guys have a great time” Jocelyn said
“Bye baby” Dianna said hugging her “There’s plenty in the fridge…be good”
Jocelyn laughed, then hugged her dad
“Bye Pops” she said
“Bye honey” Jeff said “See you Monday”

They walked out of the house and down to their car. Jocelyn stood on the porch, waving as they drove off. Their car disappeared down the rode and Jocelyn walked back inside. She walked to the flowers and smelled them, looking at the card again. She then went to the bathroom to shower and change to get ready to meet Lance.

A few hours later after getting ready, Jocelyn headed down to the school, she was kind of nervous. She hadn’t seen Lance since that night not really wanting too, she didn’t know what to expect. She continued her drive to the school and soon reached the parking lot. She got out after touching up her lip-gloss and walked to the entrance of the school. She took a deep breath and walked inside. There was no one in sight; well duh it was a Saturday. She walked down the hall way towards Lance’s classroom. She reached it and looked into the small window. Lance was sitting at the piano bench reading over some music, his foot tapping nervously. Jocelyn took a breath and walked inside, Lance nervously looking at her as she walked in. He smiled, standing up walking towards her.

“Hey you made it” he said
She smiled “If there’s a surprise involved sure” she said jokingly
He laughed and hugged her, she hugged him back. They broke the hug, and Lance looked at her and kissed her head.
“Ready?” he asked
She looked at him “For what?” she asked
He smiled “You’ll see” he took her hand
He walked her over to the piano bench and sat her down. She watched him as he sat on the other side. Jocelyn sat facing him, watching him. He smiled and cracked his fingers taking a deep breath. She watched him, smiling.
“This song…says everything to you that I need to say…” Lance said “That I wished I said before…”
With that he started, his fingers slid across the keys and the music flowed.

Funny when you stop and think
times goes faster then you blink
nothings ever like it was
but girl we've got a special thing
all the happiness it brings
is more than enough

I know its hard to believe
your still the biggest part of me
all I'm living for
I still think about you
I still dream about you
I still want you
and need you by my side
I'm still mad about you
all I ever wanted was you
your still the one [2x]

It's hard to breathe when were apart
your like sunshine in my heart
I keep you here inside
you've been everything to me
you've been and always will be
the apple of my eye

And I know its hard to believe
your still the biggest part of me
all I'm living for
I still think about you
I still dream about you
I still want you
and need you by my side
I still mad about you
all i ever wanted was you
your still the one [2x]

If you love me
look into my eyes and say you do
I've been waiting all my life
for someone just like you
baby all that we've been through
girl im still in love with you
and I want you to know I do, I do

I still think about you
I still dream about you
I still want you
and need you by my side
I'm still mad about you
all I ever wanted was you
your still the one [2x]


The song finished, Jocelyn was in tears as she watched Lance finish up on the piano. He took her fingers off the keys, and took her hands into his.
“I’m sorry…forgive me” he said quietly

She continued to watch him, finally taking her hands away from him and wrapped her arms around Lance’s neck bringing their faces together and she kissed him passionately. Lance moved closer to her putting his hands on her waist kissing her back. Their lips moved together as they shared this kiss, making it seem like everything was ok. Finally after making out for awhile, they broke the kiss both panting and looking at each other.

“Does this mean you forgive me?” Lance asked
Jocelyn smiled “Yes,” she said
“For everything, April…Justin?” Lance asked

Jocelyn nodded; Lance grinned and pulled her into another kiss. Jocelyn made her way onto Lance’s lap, straddling him leaning her back against the keys. Lance’s hands rested on her sides as they kissed. They broke it again, and Jocelyn wrapped her arms around his neck once more.

“Wanna get outta here?” Jocelyn asked
Lance grinned
“I have the house all to myself” she said smiling
He kissed her lips “Let’s go” he said

She got off his lap, and stood up along with him. He grabbed his keys, messenger bag and her hand and walked to the exit with Jocelyn as he locked the school; they were happy again. They walked through the parking lot; there was a black Jeep on the corner with tinted windows. But neither Jocelyn nor Lance seemed to notice it. The person in the Jeep noticed them though. Will sat, looking through the tinted windows with the camera. There Jocelyn was with a new guy. He got a few pictures of Jocelyn with this guy walking hand in hand to a car. He looked though the lens watching them.
“I’m sorry Jace” Will mumbled
He put the cameras down on the passenger seat and put the Jeep into drive slowly following Jocelyn’s truck.

Jocelyn held Lance’s hand as she drove towards her house. Lance smiled and leaned over and kissed her cheek.
“Where’re your parents?” he asked
“I sent them away on an anniversary weekend” Jocelyn said
Lance smiled “Really?”
Jocelyn nodded. They reached her house and got out. Joining hands again as they walked to the door. They stood out on the porch; Lance pulled her close to him into a hug. Jocelyn watched him smiling wrapping her arms around his neck. He smiled back and then brought her into a kiss. Jocelyn kissed him back her foot lifting. Lance broke the kiss grinning, and then picked her up swinging her around. Jocelyn squealed, and Lance laughed.
"Ready to go inside?" he asked
She nodded, and took the keys out of her purse and unlocked the door, they headed inside.

Still - Brian McKnight
Chapter End Notes:
*&*Traci*&*

Comments? Questions? E-mail me at Spacey1141@hotmail.com


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story