I couldn’t believe that I had actually agreed to do this. I actually agreed to having coffee with him. Why oh why didn’t I just turn heel and hightailed it out there. But no, there I sat, in front him, staring, while he looked down at his coffee. A tall vanilla latté with a splash of cream and two sugars.




Yeah, I remembered how he took his coffee. I remembered everything about him. I remembered the way his azure eyes lit up pre and post orgasm. I remembered the way his lips curved every time he would say my name. I remembered the way his freckles danced along his shoulder blades. I even remembered the smell of skin as he would hold me close throughout the nights. I could never forget anything about him.



But I need to. I need to just get up and walk out. Never seeing him again.




But here I sat, playing with the rim of my coffee cup, as I just watched him.




The silence was killing me, so I cleared my throat, to break the silence. “So, you wanted to talk? Talk.”




He looked up at me with those eyes that I loved so much. He licked his lips once before he opened his mouth. “April, you know that I care about you. And I love you. These past few months, excluding that night a few weeks ago, I have been miserable without you. And I’ve come to the realization that you’re the one I want…” I opened my mouth to say something, but he beat me to the chance. “Look, I know that this relationship started by a lie. I lied to my wife about you. And you lied to your family and friends about me. Well, I don’t want to live that lie anymore. I want you to see this.” He stood up and reached into his back pocket and pulled a burnt orange folder.




What the hell is that? I thought to myself.




He looked at the folder, sighed and handed it over to me.




“What is this?” I asked him grabbing the object from his hand, as he sat down.




“Open it.” He told me.




I looked at him with questions written all over my eyes.




I sighed and looked down at the folder trying to figure out what the hell was inside. I then began to untie the red string that held it together. Once getting it opened, I reached inside and pulled a packet of blue and white papers. I stared inquisitively down at the main headline.




I looked up at him. “A petition for divorce? Justin, what is this?” I turned the packet around to face him.




I hope this is not what I think it is.




“I’m doing what I should have done a year ago. I’m finally divorcing my wife. I moved out of my house the same night as that night a few weeks ago. I moved in with my cousin, who just moved here a couple of months ago.” He said resting his elbows on the table.




I can not believe this. I just can’t.




“Justin, you can’t be serious.”




“I am, April.” He said with disappointment sounding in his voice. “I thought you’d be happy about this.”




Seriously, he can’t be serious. Can he?




“Happy? Justin what about your daughter?”




“I’ve decided on joint custody.”




“And yeah, when the judge finds out that you were cheating on you wife with me, they’re not going to be so lineate towards you.” I tossed his divorced packets onto the table, before I stood to my feet.




He stood to feet also. I tried to read his eyes. They were a mixture of hurt, disappointment and anger. “April, where are you going? I’m divorcing my wife. Isn’t that what you wanted? You didn’t want to share me with anyone else, remember? Well now you can have me. All of me.” He then walked around from his side and came and stood face to face with me. “Staying with Mishelle when my heart belonged to you was the worst mistake of my life.”




His words had hit me like a ton of bricks. God, I loved him. I love him still. But what we had was wrong. And no matter what happens with us in the future, it would always be wrong. The feelings I had in my head and in my heart were two different feelings. My head was saying, ‘tear up those divorce papers and run like hell’, but my heart was saying, ‘just grab a hold of him and don’t let go’. But, I couldn’t do this. No matter what my heart said, I couldn’t let it win this one.




“Justin…” I closed my eyes and sighed. “The mistake wasn’t you staying with Mishelle. Coming to me and telling me all of this was the mistake.” I know my words stabbed him right in his chest, but I didn’t care. I couldn’t let myself care. “We’re over.” I whispered, grabbing my purse.




I was just about to walk away, when I felt his strong grip on my elbow. “April, don’t do this to me…”




I couldn’t even look him in the eyes. Afraid that I would cave in. “Go home to your wife, Justin.” I broke from his grip and breezed my way through the tiny café, avoiding the questionable stares from the other patrons that had been tuned in on me and Justin’s little scene.


Incomplete
jrtsnubianboricuaqueen is the author of 8 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 9 members. Members who liked The Other Woman also liked 381 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: otherwoman