"I'm going to take a shower," Joey said. Conversation had died off to allow them to finish their breakfast. Joey was the first one done and decided that he needed a shower since he had neglected to a take a shower the night before.

"Good thing. You stink." JC crinkled his nose up and laughed along with Lance.

"You have no room to talk. You didn't take one either," Joey pointed out.

"I know, but I don't sweat as much as you." JC laughed as Joey made a face. "Go take your shower already. I need one too."

Lance and JC watched Joey walk to the bathroom and listen to him grumble all the way. Lance looked at JC. "I'm going back to bed."

"You're not going to wait to take a shower?" JC asked.

Lance shook his head. "No. I didn't get much sleep last night. I'll take one when I wake up."

"OK. Good night."

"Night," Lance replied and made his way to his bunk where he laid down. He didn't get under the covers because it was too warm to do that. Lance laid there for a little while before he finally fell asleep.

There Lance stood in a forest with three of his best friends at his side while Katrina was holding onto JC. He knew that she was determined to carry out her revenge.

Lance was trying to muster up the courage to speak when Chris said, "What are you doing?"

"What does it look like I'm doing?" Katrina snapped.

Lance watched as she pushed JC over by a tall Oak tree. Lance stood frozen as lightening struck the tree's trunk and fall half way before stopping. Lance had seen JC's face as he had braced himself for the impact and then sigh in relief when the tree didn't fall on him.

Lance hardly acknowledged Katrina when she asked what he was doing there. He was too concerned in making sure that JC was okay. He could hear her continue on when he made no reply.

"Don't bother with him. His suffering's going to end shortly."

Lance finally managed to speak. "I won't let you do that," he said. His eyes never left JC's. Lance wasn't sure how he was going to stop Katrina, but he was sure that he didn't want to lose his best friend.

Just then another lightening bolt struck the tree's trunk. He watched as the tree fell. "No!" Lance screamed. He tried to run toward JC to save him from being crushed by the tree, but he couldn't move. All he could do was watch in horror as the tree fell and killed his best friend.


Lance jolted awake. His heart was racing from the nightmare he just had and his clothes were sticking to his damp body.

"Hey." Lance jumped at the voice and bumped his head on the top of his bunk. He looked to the left and saw JC sitting there.

"You scared the hell outta me!" Lance exclaimed while rubbing his head.

"Sorry," JC apologized. Lance knew that he wasn't really sorry though because he was smiling. But it didn't last long and JC turned serious.

"You want to talk about it?"

"About what?" Lance asked.

"Your nightmares," JC answered.

"How did you know?"

JC shrugged. "I just knew."

Lance laughed. "What do you mean you just knew?"

"I've noticed how tired you've been. Besides, I've had my share of nightmares before. I know the signs," JC explained.

Lance sighed. He had been figured out. He briefly wondered how long JC knew that he was having nightmares, but knew that it didn't really matter now.

"You want to talk about it?" JC asked again.

"No, not really."

"C'mon, Lance. Talk to me." JC paused then added, "They won't go away until you do and you know you'll sleep better when they're gone."

Lance ran his fingers through his hair and sighed. "Alright." Lance paused for a moment to try and get his thoughts in order.

"I'm not sure where to begin."

"How about the beginning?" JC suggested.

Lance nodded. "OK. I've basically been having the same nightmare since we got back from the cabin."

JC hadn't known that Lance had been having nightmares for almost a year. He could tell that when they first got back from the cabin that he was acting different. But that was to be expected because of what he went through so JC had left it alone. It had taken JC about six months to get over what happened and he just assumed that Lance was over it too. It was only a month ago that JC noticed how tired Lance was and how his behavior had changed. He had been a lot more distant and just not totally there.

"Well what happened in it?"

"It was basically everything that happened that night out in the forest except…" Lance stopped. He couldn't say it. He hated thinking about it and didn't feel comfortable enough to tell JC that he had died.

"Except…C'mon, you can tell me." JC said softly not wanting to press Lance and not have him say what he needed to say.

Lance took a deep breath and looked at JC. He sat there patiently waiting to hear what Lance had to say. That made Lance feel a little better knowing that JC was just there to listen to him to talk in hopes of getting rid of the nightmares.

"It was all the same except you…died." There he had said it.

JC looked surprised for a minute, but quickly recovered. "How?" he asked softly.

"The tree fell and I…I wasn't able to save you. It was like my feet were glued to the ground," Lance replied just as soft.

"But Lance, that didn't happen. You saved me."

"I know. I just can't help but think of what could have happened. You could've died."

"You could've too," JC pointed out. "It doesn't help to dwell on the past and what could've happened. Live in the present, not in the past."

"You're right," Lance said.

"I'm here and I will always be here if you, or the others, need me. You couldn't get rid of me if you tried." Lance laughed and JC smiled. "Feel better now?"

"No, not yet. I need to take a shower and then I'll feel better," Lance replied and JC laughed.

"Well go on then. Joey and I already had ours so it's all yours." JC stood up from Lance's bunk and Lance got out as well.

Lance went to head toward the bathroom when he turned back around to JC and hugged him. "Thanks, Jace. I needed that."

"No problem," JC said as he patted Lance on the back. "Go take your shower. By the time you're done we should be stopped for lunch."

"OK." Lance stepped out of the embrace and went into the bathroom while JC went to join Joey on the couch watching a rerun of Friends.

JC was right. As soon as Lance stepped out of the bathroom he knew that the buses were stopped for lunch. JC and Joey had been waiting in the living room for Lance and the three of them left the bus together when Lance came out. They met Justin and Chris at a booth in the back of a family restaurant.

"Hey guys," Chris, who was sitting across from Justin, greeted the other three. Chris and Justin slid over to make room for JC, Lance, and Joey to sit down. They ordered their food and made meaningless conversation until the food came. Once it did, no one really said anything until they were almost done.

"You know Chris and I were wondering if one of us could switch with one of you guys. That is if none of you mind," Justin said.

JC, Lance, and Joey all shook their heads. "No we don't mind," Joey told Justin.

"Cool. So who's going to switch with me?" Chris asked raising an eyebrow. No one volunteered.

"Aw, c'mon guys. I'm not that bad," Justin whined. "What about you, JC? It can be like old times."

"A lot's changed since The Mickey Mouse Club, Justin," JC reminded.

"I know, but how 'bout it? Will you ride with me?"

"Sure, J. I'll ride with you." Everyone had finished up their food and went to walk around for a few minutes before they had to get back on the buses. JC and Lance were already standing by the buses and talking while they waited for the others to make their way over.

"Why do I get this strange feeling that I won't see you again?" JC asked Lance.

"I don't know, but I have the same feeling too."

"Well just take care of yourself and Joey and Chris," JC said as he and Lance watched the other three walk toward the buses.

"I will. Make sure you do the same," Lance replied.

"If you need to talk or anything, just call."

"I will, JC. Thanks. See you at the venue," Lance told JC as well as Justin before getting on the other bus with Joey and Chris.

Once on the bus, Chris made his way over to the stereo and turned it on. He put on one of his favorite songs and blasted it.

"Chris! Turn it down!" Lance yelled, trying to be heard over the stereo. It didn't work. Chris was dancing around and not hearing a word of what Lance said. Lance sighed in annoyance and walked over to turn it off.

He pushed the off button and Chris protested, "Hey!"

"Sorry, Chris. It was too loud."

"No it wasn't," Chris denied.

"Then tell me why you couldn't hear me when I told you to turn it down," Lance replied.

Chris sighed knowing that Lance got him. "You're no fun," Chris said. Joey laughed while Lance shrugged.

"I can be a lot of fun."

"Yeah," Joey agreed. "When you're drunk."

"Right. I'm a lot of fun when--hey!" Lance protested as what Joey said hit him. The three of them laughed and were thrown forward a few seconds later as the bus slammed on its brakes.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story