Author's Chapter Notes:
"I got half a smile and zero shame...Who did you think I was?"~~Who Did You Think I Was-John Mayer
Fashion Week is what I live for. I have been working towards this day for 365 days and now it’s over and I’m completely exhausted. I’m running on complete adrenaline at this point and I know when I get back to my hotel room, I’m going to crash. But until then, I have to make my rounds backstage and thank all these people who made it all possible. In my head there’s a countdown to how long until I’m in bed. We’re looking at about two hours if all goes well.

My name was being called and I turned away from one of the models in the show, Anna Andrieux, to see a reporter from some magazine. Putting on my game face, I allowed myself to be pulled to the side. I could do without the tape recorder that she was shoving in my face, but I kept my cool. Only an hour and fifty eight minutes until my body gets to meet those cool, smooth sheets. I can make it.

I have a handy ability to answer questions accurately and eloquently while my mind is elsewhere. Right now, I’m in the middle of some speech about my plans for the future but my eyes are wandering around the large backstage area trying to figure out exactly how many more of these people I’m going to have to talk to.

I was about to resume eye contact with the reporter so I wouldn’t come off completely rude but then my eyes caught sight of him.

I remember it well
The first time that I saw
Your head around the door
Cause mine stopped working

I had seen him in the front row when I had taken the final walk down the runway. With all the lights, I don’t know how I managed to pick out his form from all the people around but somehow my eyes had fallen on him. It was a surprise at first to see him at the show but then I realized it wasn’t that much of a stretch. He was getting into this business and word is that his show earlier in the week went pretty good. Just one more thing under his list of accomplishments. He’s like the King Midas of entertainment.

I was about to tear my eyes away from him when his landed on me. His stride stopped and he stood unblinking for a minute before he started again, this time in my direction. My eyes quickly slid back to the reporter just as she was wrapping it up and I smiled graciously, hoping to undo any damage I may have caused by the lack of eye contact we had shared during the short interview. The last thing I need is to have some magazine tell the world that I’m a bitch.

My eyes follow the reporter as she disappears into the crowd and when I move them forward again, they connect with his. He seemed to materialize out of no where and suddenly he’s right in front of me.

“Hi.”

After a fashion show, there’s generally a pretty standard group of people I talk to and I prepare myself for what I’ll say to the models and any reporters and such. But when someone new comes into the picture it completely throws me off. I was not expecting, nor prepared, to talk to this man and I felt some anxiety kick in.

I fight the urge to run my hands through my hair, a particularly annoying nervous habit of mine. Instead, I plaster my most winning smile on my face. “Hello.”

“It’s so great to meet you. I’m Justin Timberlake.”

A laugh escaped me. At a certain point of fame, I really think it’s unnecessary to introduce yourself because the person would have to be living under a rock to not know who you are. “I’m aware. I’m Ca-”

He cuts me off, which normally would irritate me but he did it so smoothly I hardly noticed. “Oh, I know. The show was great. I had to come back here and congratulate you.”

My smile turned completely genuine. “Thank you. Did you see the whole show?”

“I wouldn’t have missed it. I feel lucky just to get tickets to the show.”

I rolled my eyes playfully. “I’m sure someone like you would have no problem getting tickets.”

“Don’t be so sure. I’ve never had to work my connections so hard before.”

“Are you kidding me?” I laughed, my nerves causing the laugh to come out a little louder than intended. I inwardly winced.

A smile slid across his lips. “Cassandra Reyna’s fashion show seems to be one of the most exclusive shows of the entire week.”

Flattery really does get people everywhere. I could feel myself blushing and only hoped it wasn’t too obvious. “Well I hope it lived up to everyone’s expectations.”

“It was really incredible. You must have worked so hard.”

My shoulders dropped a bit. Just him saying how hard I worked reminded me of how exhausted I was. One hour, forty minutes. “It was quite a bit of work. But it’s worth it.”

“You obviously have a million people who want to talk to you tonight, but I’d love to get together with you for coffee and talk business.”

That surprised me but I kept that from my face. “Oh, um, sure.”

“Do you have time in the next few days? I’m sure your boyfriend must be wanting to spend some time with you.”

A smile slowly spread across my lips. Was he asking if I was single? “No boyfriend.”

He smiled, flashing his white teeth at me. “Well then I’d like to take back the coffee offer and change it to drinks and dinner.”

This guy was nothing like I had pictured in my mind. Usually when someone’s too bold it turns me off, but there was something about him that was drawing me in. “And talking business?”

“We can maybe squeeze that in somewhere.”

My smile widened and I let out a small laugh. “Well I’ll have to check my schedule...”

“Dinner at Carrabba’s around six?”

“I…I…” I tried to remember if I had anything tomorrow night. I’m almost positive there was something somewhere but the more I stared at him, the more I simply couldn’t remember. To hell with it. “Sure.”

He looked completely satisfied. “Great. I can pick you up-”

“I’ll meet you at the restaurant,” I quickly cut in.

It seemed to throw him but only momentarily. “Sure if that works better for you.”

There was almost an awkward moment of silence but someone calling my name saved us from dealing with that. He looked in the direction of the voice and then back at me.

“I’ll let you get back to everyone. Again, congratulations on the show.”

I smiled. “Thank you. And thank you for coming.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow at six?”

I gave a quick nod of the head. “Six,” I confirmed.

“I’ll give you my number,” he said, producing a card from his pocket and handing it to me. “Just in case you decide you’d like a ride to the restaurant tomorrow instead of going solo.”

That made me laugh and I was going to respond but before I had a chance, my name was called again, this time more urgently.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Cassie.”

I opened my mouth to inform him that it’s Cassandra but he had already turned away and moved back into the crowd, leaving me standing there, a bit bewildered.

Justin Timberlake came into my life like a tornado-fast, unanticipated, and roaring. I guess I should have expected that he’d leave me a disaster in his wake.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story