Author's Chapter Notes:
'Tracing my fingers round a silhouette...it's the brightest thing I've got...'~~Covered in Rain-John Mayer

“Coffee?”

I blink a few times and look away from the direction of the catering table to see Sasha standing beside me, a full cup of coffee in her hand. A smile spreads across my face as I take it from her.

“You’re amazing.”

She smiles and curtsies. “I really do try.”

“Seriously. I should replace Rachel with you.”

This time I get a laugh out of her. “Rachel would kill you if she heard you being such an ass. And Grace would never let you take me away from her. I’m the best personal assistant she’s ever had.”

I lift the coffee to my lips and take a sip before speaking. “Except when you’re getting stuff for me and leaving her to fend for herself?” I ask with a smile.

She rolls her eyes. “She’s in the middle of shooting a scene. She doesn’t need anything.”

I take another drink of my coffee and watch as Sasha sits in the directors chair beside me and crosses her legs. She taps her fingers on the armrest for a moment before looking over at me.

“You’re usually more restless than this,” she comments, giving me a once over. “You never just sit here while they shoot a scene. You’re always breathing down the director’s neck wanting to know what’s going on. What the deal?”

I let out a laugh at her words and shake my head. “I’m waiting for somebody.”

“Who?”

“My girlfriend,” I say. The words rolling off my tongue automatically bring a smile to my lips and I bring my cup up to my mouth to hide how excited I actually am before I look like a complete pansy.

“Cassandra Reyna, right?”

“Yeah.”

“She’s coming here?”

“Yeah.” I check my watch. “Rachel went to pick her up at the airport.”

“How long is she staying?”

“Four days.” I start to get excited when I see dark hair that looks like Cassie’s, but sink back into my chair when it’s only one of the extras. I’ve been up since five this morning and I’ve been waiting for her to get here since then. Now, at one in the afternoon, I feel like I’m going to die with anticipation of seeing her. It’s been a long three weeks since I last saw her. I talk on the phone to her almost every day but that doesn’t come close to actually seeing her.

“Did Russell give you some time off?”

I had had to plead with Russell, the director, to move some of my scenes around so I’d have a bit of free time while Cassie was here. Having here is going to be amazing but I don’t want to be shooting for fourteen hours of the day and not be able to spend a lot of time with her.

“Some. Enough.”

“Do you have more scenes to shoot today?”

“Just one later today,” I answer distractedly as I lift my body up a bit when I think I see Rachel walking from the parking lot. This time I’m right with what I see and a warm feeling goes through me when I make out Cassie walking beside her. I don’t get up right away, but instead watch them walk towards the movie set. Rachel is saying something but Cassie looks distracted as she looks around. That makes me smile because I know she’s looking for me.

Leaving my coffee on the armrest of my chair, I get up. “They’re here,” I say, just so Sasha doesn’t think I’m completely deserting her, and then begin to make my way towards them. Rachel gets stopped to talk to one of the makeup artists and Cassie’s standing unsurely beside her. She doesn’t see me when I come up to the side of her and I reach out to touch her hand. She turns quickly and a smile brightens up her entire face.

“Where did you come from?” she asks softly.

I don’t respond but instead pull her to me and give her a tight hug. She feels amazing and she smells amazing and she’s just…amazing. I’m so glad she’s here.

I pull away just far enough from her so I can lower my head to hers and kiss her waiting mouth. Her lips are softer than I remember them and I feel like I’m a starving man just given a feast.

I refrain from really kissing her the way I want to, mindful of all the people standing around us. Instead I force myself to pull away after a short moment.

“You taste like coffee,” Cassie says, her thumb wiping the corner of my mouth where I’m assuming her lipgloss transferred.

“I just had some.” I bring up both my hands to run over her hair. She smiles up at me and I can’t take us being in such a crowded area anymore. I drop my arms from her and twist my upper body to find Rachel. “Rach!”

She turns from the makeup artist. “Yeah?”

“Can you make sure no one bothers us for a couple hours?”

She rolls her eyes. “Sure.”

I turn back to Cassie. “Want to see my amazing trailer?”

She laughs. “Of course.”

Smiling, I grab her hand and pull her to my side as I lead her away from the set to the parking lot where the trailers are set up.

“It’s kind of ghetto,” I warn her as I let go of her hand to climb the stairs leading to my trailer. “Don’t judge.”

“I’ll try,” she laughs.

I step into the trailer and hold open the door for her. My eyes stay on her as she looks around.

“It’s not that bad,” she says after a moment. “Of course the wood paneling leaves something to be desired…”

I grab her sides and she shrieks out a laugh. “You said you wouldn’t judge.”

She turns around so she’s facing me. “I said I would try. But this trailer made it very hard.”

I move my hands down to curl around her hips and begin to walk her towards the back of the trailer where there’s a bed. “You’re gonna pay for that.”

She giggles and brings her hands up to rest on my upper arms. “You’re not as scary as you think you are.”

I merely raise an eyebrow and give her a little push when the back of her knees hit the mattress. She sits down and then moves into a laying position as I crawl over her.

“It’s so good to have you here,” I say as I look down at her. “It’s been so hard not seeing you.”

She wraps her arms around me and rubs her thumbs against the back of my neck. She lifts her head to kiss me softly and then pulls back and rests her head on the pillow. “I know,” she sighs. “I’ve been so bored.”

I lean down and kiss the corner of her jaw, inhaling as I do so. The smell of cherry blossoms immediately brings me back to a feeling of being at home and it suddenly doesn’t matter at all that we’re in my shitty movie trailer and will probably be disturbed within a couple hours. “What about Molly and that other girl?”

“Jaime. I spend time with them sometimes but I can’t spend every single night with them. I don’t want to be a third wheel.”

I pull my head back from hers and reach up my hands to push her hair away from her face, fanning it across her pillow. “I’m sure they don’t think of you as a third wheel.”

“But I can’t spend all my time with them. They don’t know me like you do.”

That makes me smile. I really do feel like over the past couple months I’ve really begun to get a really good grasp on who Cassie is as a person and everything she’s about. She’s opened up about so much that I never thought she willingly would. She’s told me about past relationships, and really, there wasn’t much to tell but I’m glad I know anyways. And she’s told me about some family stuff and it told me a lot about why she is the way she is. I guess after her father walked out on them, Isabelle was in a lot of relationships with different guys and as soon as Cassie began to depend on one, he’d be gone and there would be some new guy in his place. It wasn’t until Cassie was in tenth grade that Grant came into the picture and her mom actually settled down. Knowing that has made it a lot more patient with any commitment issues she has. She can’t help something that was basically ingrained in her head for ten years of her life.

“I guess they wouldn’t.” I move my hands from her hair to cup her cheeks and lower my head to hers. “I feel like I need to relearn certain parts of you though,” I say, my lips brushing against hers with each word.

Her eyes close and lips turn up. “I definitely think that’s an idea I would like to hear more about.”

I cover her lips with mine and kiss her for a minute before pulling back just enough to say, “Talking’s overrated,” and that’s the last of our conversation for a while.

* * *

“So you think this is the take you’re going to use?”

Russell nods and leans back in his director’s chair. “You and Grace nailed it in this one. I like it.”

“Awesome.” I take a glance towards my trailer and then clear my throat. “So…do you need me for anymore scenes tonight?”

Russell finally tears his eyes away from the camera and looks over to study me. After a second he smiles and shakes his head. “Go find your girlfriend.”

Smiling, I give him a pat on the back and then turn in the direction of my trailer. When I left her, Cassie had been sleeping. But that was a couple hours ago so she very well may be up and just waiting in there for me. I made a reservation at a restaurant in the city for us so I hope she’s not too jetlagged to go and enjoy it.

It’s silent in the trailer when I step inside and I walk through it as quietly as I can. Cassie’s still curled up in bed asleep and she looks too peaceful to disturb so I leave her there. We have a couple hours until we have to be at the restaurant and as long as I have time to go to the hotel and shower before we go to eat, I’ll be fine.

I’ve just grabbed a bottle of water from my mini fridge when I hear Cassie’s phone ring. I can see it lighting up in her purse and I reach down to grab it, not wanting the noise to wake her up. My eyes take in the name flashing across the screen before I press the talk button.

“Hello.”

There’s a short pause before Kyle speaks. “Is Cassandra there?”

“She’s busy,” I say, not willing to offer any other information other than that.

“Oh. Alright, can you get her to give me a call when she’s not busy?”

Some annoyance goes through me and I glance back towards where Cassie’s sleeping. “Is this about work?”

There’s another pause and basically gives me my answer. “Yeah. I guess it is.”

“She’s here on vacation for the next four days. When she’s back in LA you can talk work with her then.”

“Will you tell her I called?”

He sounds like he’s getting irritated and a small amount of juvenile satisfaction goes through me. “She’ll get back to you when she’s in LA,” is all I say and then I hang up the phone. I almost expect him to call again but her phone remains silent and after a minute, I put it back in her purse.

Ever since that day right after my surgery when I got irritated with Kyle and Cassie’s relationship, I haven’t been able to get off it. Every time she mentions him or I see him the irritation just grows. I know it pisses her off that I’m feeling like this so I try to not bring it up with her but it’s definitely bothering me. Soon I know I won’t be able to hide it but for now, I’d like to avoid any drama if possible. Especially this weekend when she’s only here for a few days.

I can’t help but have those feelings of irritation linger in me though. The more time goes on, the more things about Kyle are really starting to get to me. I hate how he knows all these little things about her that I thought only I knew. I hate how he sometimes calls her by her middle name, Leigh, as some kind of inside joke that I’m not a part of. I hate how he picks up the phone whenever I call the store and how half the time I go in there they’re together and laughing about some random thing.

Kyle needs to get it through his head quick that Cassie is not available and a very clear line of professionalism needs to be drawn. If he can’t figure that out for himself, I have no problem helping him do so.

Thinking so much about Kyle is beginning to put me in a pretty bad mood so I force myself to push all thoughts of him from my head and instead concentrate on what is right here in front of me. I can worry about him another time.

Cassie’s still asleep when I go back over to the bed and I sit down on the edge of it and I lightly run my finger up her arm. She shifts a bit but it isn’t until I lean down and press my lips to her shoulder that she moans a bit and her eyes flutter open. She blinks a few times before focusing on me.

“Have you already shot the scene?” she asks through a yawn.

I nod and kiss her temple. “Mm hmm. Just finished.”

“Does that mean you’re done for the day?”

“It does.”

A smile stretches across her face and she pulls her arms out from under the sheet to wrap around my neck. I let her pull me down to rest my upper body on hers. “Good,” she says and then presses her lips against mine. “So I get you for the rest of the night? No more work?”

“No more work,” I repeat and then smile. “Normally I’m the one who’s saying that to you.”

“Not this weekend,” she says, kissing the corner of my mouth. “I’m not doing any work at all this weekend. I didn’t even bring my sketchbook with me.”

I chuckle. “You know within a day or two you’re going to have sketches drawn on scraps of paper and paper towel.”

She smiles and shakes her head. “I’ll keep it to a minimum. Only when you’re shooting.”

I rest my arms on either side of her head and stare down at her. “Because the rest of the time is just for us.”

One hand moves to the back of my head and she pulls me down to her mouth again. “Agreed,” she mumbles before our lips meet.

And with that, I decide not to tell her that Kyle called. It’s work related and we just agreed that that’s not what this weekends about. Too bad for him, I guess.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story