I was running late. I hate to be running late. It’s my first movie, my first read through and I’m late for it. I quickly pulled into a parking spot, grabbed my script from the passenger’s seat and jogged into the building. I’m nervous enough as it is. I’ve wanted to do a movie for a while, and I’ve honestly got plenty of scripts. But almost all of them were some lame ass chick flick. I don’t watch click flicks why would I want to be in one? I want to be taken seriously as an actor which is going to be hard enough in a movie as good as this one.

Crunch time is one of those running from the law movies. Addison plays my girlfriend and we’re a scam team, working our way across the country. It’s a funny script too, there’s a lot of humor in it. It’s really an amazing script; I hope we can pull it off… I hope I can pull it off, I know Addison can.

Addison’s been acting professionally since she was about ten. She only did a few movies while she was a kid and took it more seriously by the time she reached the age of eighteen. It was ten years since then and she’s been in more movies than I can count. It’s in her blood, that’s for sure. The first film star is related to her. Her father’s a director; her mother’s an actress. Her older brother is opening up a production company and her sister is at NYU studying film.

I walked into the room and there were very few people there. I thought maybe I had the wrong room, checked my watch to see I was ten minutes late, and looked around probably like a seven year old lost at the mall. “Come on in Mr. Timberlake.”

“Justin” I corrected her, I hate when people call me Mr. Timberlake, especially when they’re at least double my age. Mr. Timberlake is my father and I never want to be called Mr. Timberlake in my life. It doesn’t show respect, it makes me feel old.

“Sorry, Justin” she corrected herself, “You can have a seat right over there, can I get you something to drink? Something to eat?”

“I’m all set, thank you, what did you say your name was?” I said as I looked over at the table of food and drink no more than five feet away from me,

“Jackie”

“Nice to meet you Jackie, I’m sorry I’m late, I lost track of time.”

“You’re… one of the first ones here” she said with a smile as she walked away. I guess this acting thing is different from what I’m used to. I have to be on time. If I’m late I’ll miss sound check and then I’ll sound like shit. If I’m late to an interview they write shit about me, if I’m late to a talk show they talk to someone else. I’m used to having to be on time. I guess that’s what’s different. Here if you’re late you just make everyone else wait, although I guess everyone comes late so it doesn’t matter.

I sat quietly looking over my script and realized that I was the only one here besides some people that have a total of ten lines. I guess being told read through at two really means read through at three thirty. It wasn’t until three thirty that Addison walked in. She waved at me and smiled as she walked in and talked to Jackie, still wearing her sunglasses. That was the first thing that I noticed when she walked in that she still was wearing her sunglasses. That’s one of my biggest pet peeves when people wear their sunglasses inside. The only excuse to wear sunglasses is if you have a black eye, pink eye or you’re stoned. And she’s none of those… I shouldn’t say that, I don’t know yet. Then I looked down at her legs, this time it was impossible not to look at them. She wore a pair of those short sweatpants shorts with the words on the ass and a tank top. Her blonde hair was up in a messy bun and she wasn’t wearing any makeup- or it she was it was very little. That is the kind of sexy I like. I like the girls that look hot in sweats and no makeup. That’s sexy to me.

“What’s up J?” Addison smiled as she sat down next to me, “Ya ready?”

“I’m ready,” I said as I fumbled with the script in front of me.

“You look nervous as fuck,” she laughed as she pushed her sunglasses to the top of her head.

“Do I really?” I asked with a chuckle, shit I’m not as good at hiding it as I thought.

“Yes, you’re practically shaking” she giggled.

“I am not” I said seriously and held my hand out, it was not shaking, “I’m usually able to trick everyone into believing I’m confident even when I’m nervous as fuck” I smiled.

“Well I see through it. Although I don’t think anyone else does” she said as she rested her hands on mine, “Calm down.”

“I’m fine” I ran my hands through my short hair after Jackie brought Addison a drink and she took a sip, “Are you excited to start filming?”




“Good Morning” Julie said as she plopped down next to me on the couch, “Do you always watch television without turning it on?”

“Yeah, I’m trying to start a new trend” I said as I looked over and tossed the remote at her, “What’s up?”

“Nothing, are you alright?” I nodded my head, “You’re sure?”

“Positive.”

“OK, but you do know that I have a degree in this now. And I won’t even charge you… first visit is on the house” she smiled.

“Oh yeah?” I laughed, “But it’s my house, so it should all be free.”

She nodded her head; “I’ll be out of your hair soon. Will you help me look for an apartment?”

“Why?” why would she get an apartment? That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

“I don’t know good areas or prices and stuff. You’ll be able to tell if I’m getting ripped off.”

“No, why do you need an apartment? You can stay here.”

She let a chuckle escape, “Who do I look like? Trace? I’m not going to live in your house.”

“Why not?”

“Because I’m not a freeloader,” she laughed, “Seriously Lake, you don’t want me to stay here.”

“Yeah I do. What’s the point of getting a house with all these bedrooms if I’m only going to use one?”

She bit at her finger; she’s thinking about it that’s something. I like to have people around all the time. I get lonely really easily. I hate that feeling, and it sucks not having a girlfriend especially when it seems like everyone else is in a relationship of some sort. I’d hate to have to wake up completely alone in this house. “But I don’t want you to feel like you have to tell me you want me to stay. Because I can afford an apartment… ok right now I can’t” she paused to laugh, “But as soon as I get a job I’ll be able to.”

“Give it some time, if you piss me off then I’ll let you go” I smiled.

“Nice.”

“Just don’t leave all your shit around like Trace. He just leaves everything all over the place. There’s random shit everywhere.”

She laughed, “And you’re surprised by that? I could have told you Trace was a slob since like… third grade. Remember when Mrs. Sabatino dumped his desk over because it was so messy?”

“Yeah” I laughed. That was pretty amazing. He always had a pile of shit around his desk and one day our teacher just had enough. She dumped his desk out and made him clean it all up, “So what are your plans for the day?”

“Well, I was going to look for an apartment but I guess I don’t have to now.”

I nodded my head, “Want to go get breakfast?” It’s worth a shot right? I really am a breakfast guy and I’ll go get breakfast any chance I can.

“Yeah” she answered quickly.

“Really?”

“Really. Do I have to change?”

“No, you have to wear that.” I stood up and threw a hoodie at her, “We have to go now.”

“OK,” she laughed as she stood up, “What’s the rush?”

“I’m hungry,” I grabbed my keys.

“I guess so.”

“Did you sleep alright? The room was alright?”

“Yes Lake very comfortably” she smiled, “Where are we going?”

“There’s this place down the street with the best omelets and their hash brows are to die for.”

“Do you go there a lot?” I nodded my head; “You’ll have to introduce me to all the good places now that I’ll be living out here. It’s so weird to say that.”

“Yeah, I’ll take care of you Jules.”

“I know,” she said as I parked the car in the street. As we walked to the restaurant I noticed a few people across the street taking pictures. It’s annoying but there are worse things.

We walked inside and sat down quickly at a table, “Yeah, so much for not having to change. I’m going to be in all the magazines in my sweats.”

I laughed as I grabbed a muffin from the bread basket on the table, “Oh please, like you care.”

“I do care, shut up,” she hit my arm, “You act like I’m a complete scrub.”

“You are a complete scrub,” I answered with a smile.

“You’re an asshole.”

“Relax, I’m kidding. I’m saying you’re more low key, it’s not that big of a deal. If Addison was caught in her sweats she’d probably commit suicide.”

“That’s sad.”

“Yeah.” I nodded my head as I picked up the menu, “What are you getting?”

“Probably an omelet since they’re so good.”

I nodded my head and placed the menu back down. I don’t know why I pick it up in the first place I know what I’m getting her, “Addison would not go to breakfast with me.”

“Ever?”

“No…well hardly ever. The other day she stayed over and I wanted to stop for breakfast on the way taking her back and she would not go for it.”

“Does she eat?” she asked seriously before laughing.

“Yeah, she eats,” I laughed, “Once in awhile. But she said she doesn’t go to breakfast with someone that’s not her boyfriend.”

“Seriously?” I nodded my head, “That’s ridiculous.”

“Yeah. She said I’m not over her and I think we’re still dating because I wanted to eat breakfast. Of course the possibility that I was just hungry was completely out of the question.”

“She seems kind of silly.”

“Yeah,” I nodded my head, “She is indeed very silly. She’s also crazy.”

“You said it.” She smiled, “You think about her too much, let’s talk about something else.”

I nodded my head I do talk about Addison a lot. I don’t do it on purpose it’s just unfortunately she’s on my mind a lot. At least I’m complaining about her and it’s not like I have this warped out sense of reality where I still think she’s perfect. Yeah, I definitely don’t have to worry about that.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story