At first, when Justin had told her they were to tell Johnny, Wade and the other guys tonight about the baby, she was sure it was the right thing. That was until she stepped into the room and saw Lance there. She knew at once he’d told Joey; after all they were best friends. And knowing Joey, he probably told everyone else.
“Tiff and I have something we want to tell you,” Justin began reaching next to him and taking her hand, giving it a small squeeze.
“What?” Johnny asked looking at both of them and thinking how happy they were, and wishing he had the same flame with his current wife.
“Do you want to tell them or should I?” Justin asked her, he gave her a small smile and she knew he was dying to tell everyone. She glanced around the room and saw Lance fiddling with the napkin in his hand, not looking at Justin or anyone else.
“I think you should,” she answered in a whisper and Justin nodded and took a deep breath in.
“Okay then,” he gave a small nod and glanced at all the guys in the room, not noticing Lance turn away as he did so. “Tiff and I… we’re going to have a baby.”

The room was eerily silent, and everyone stared with their mouths agape at the couple in front of them. Everyone but him that his, he took a deep breath in as the words fell upon his ears like bricks falling from the sky. The reality of what was really happening in their lives finally settling in.
“What?” Chris asked and he turned to his friend seeing a huge ass grin on his face. “Are you serious? That’s so cool!”
“Really?” Justin replied and all the guys agreed. He looked around and saw her; she wasn’t smiling as much as Justin.
“Don’t worry about her,” Joey hissed in his ear noticing his friend staring, “I’m sure she’s as happy as you are.” He rolled his eyes and sighed, this was really it. She’d made her choice, and wasn’t in the slightest way happy with it.
“I think I’m just gonna go and lie down for a bit,” he whispered back and Joey gave him a sceptical look but didn’t say anything.
“Okay then,” Joey replied and placed a smile on his face. “But it’ll look suspicious.” But he didn’t care, and without hearing anymore of his friend’s warnings he just got up and left the room, slamming the door behind him. The scene was making him feel sick.

Justin felt his heart lurch as he heard the door slam and his friend walk out the door. He couldn’t understand why his friend was so angry, he had expected all his friends to be happy for him but obviously they weren’t.
“J.” He snapped out of his trance and glanced around him and saw JC standing a few feet from him.
“Yeah?” he asked and replacing his stares on the door.
“You okay?” JC asked and he shrugged, he had no idea what he felt.
“What’s up with Lance?” the words were out of his mouth before he could stop them.
“Joe said he was tired and needed a lie down,” JC replied calmly and he shook his head. Not believing it
“Is he sick?” he asked and JC shrugged.
“I think so,” JC said, “But you never know. Besides why are you worrying yourself? Let’s go celebrate, Lance will come round he always does.” He nodded and looked back at his friend.
“Okay then,” he said and took Tiffany’s hand, their fingers intertwining, “Let’s go celebrate.”

He would not come around, he knew it, especially if the woman that he loved was letting his brother raise the child that could possibly been his. And she didn’t seem to have an ounce of regret on her face when they’d announced the news.
In fact the memory of her smiling along side Justin had made him sick, sick to the point where he’d rushed back to his room and thrown up.
Now he lay on his over sized bed, with his chest pounding and thinking about her and the future they could have had. He knew he’d been wrong, making her decision for her. Making her choose Justin instead of him had been wrong, but he’d done it because he cared. He cared too much about his friendship with Justin, and he cared even more for her.
He knew he couldn’t give her what she wanted, even if he tried. Because lurking at the back of his mind, Justin would always be there, hiding in the shadows. Making his presence bold and known. And he couldn’t live with the guilt.
He sat up slowly and glanced around him, then glanced at his watch. They would be somewhere celebrating right now, without him. He sighed and rubbed his eyes. He should make an appearance, he thought. Not give Justin a reason to be suspicious, just play the supportive friend role. Forget anything ever happed, it would be better than a lost conscious.
He smiled slowly to himself and got up with a firm nod. He walked towards the door and stepped out into the humid night air. Leaving everything that was them in the room behind him, ready to play the role of brother, friend and supporter, even if it killed him.

The weather had become hot and humid, making everyone uncomfortable, everyone especially Tiffany. She sighed heavily and closed her eyes for a moment, wondering if everything was going the way it was supposed to.
“Penny for your thoughts?” She snapped her eyes open and spun around, staring right into a familiar pair of eyes, she smiled.
“Hey Jayce,” she grinned, happy to see someone who would understand her, and she could talk to.
“You okay?” he questioned with a soft smile tucking a stray strand of her hair behind her ear. She smiled back and nodded.
“Yeah, just thinking,” she answered and took a sip of her soda. He nodded, with a small frown replacing his smile as he contemplated what to say next.
“You sure?” he asked raising an eyebrow, “Not worrying about anything too important I hope. You know I can always find a new dance partner, maybe not one as good as you, but still.” She laughed gently and nodded.
“I’m sure,” she said and he smiled again and slung an arm over her shoulder.
“Good,” he smiled and looked at her, “I’m real happy for you and J.”
“Thank you,” she smiled again and allowed him to pull the drink from her hands and set it down on a nearby table.
“So,” he continued and pulled her closer to him, like a brother would. “Would the future Mrs Timberlake care to dance?”
She giggled at his comment, he always knew how to pick up her mood, and nodded, “Okay then. Lead the way Mr Chasez.”

She looked so happy, and he leaned back against the table and sighed. This night was going to be a long one. He was finding it hard to play all the roles he’d assigned himself, but he’d played them as best as he could, especially the one of brother.
“You’re doing good,” Joey’s voice came up next to him, and he felt his friend pat his back.
“Really?” he questioned, not removing his eyes from her. “I don’t feel like I am.”
“Well you are,” Joey smiled and nudged his shoulder gently, “So keep it up, if only for tonight. J needs to see us all support him, even if we don’t.”
“Yeah well, I don’t know if I can hold up the charade for much longer,” he admitted, now forcing his eyes away from her and looking at his friend, taking a sip from his beer. “It’s killing me Joe.”
“I know Lance,” Joey said sympathetically and gave him a small grin. “But it’s only for a bit longer okay?”
“Yeah but still...” Lance began but stopped. Joey frowned and looked over his shoulder to where Lance was looking and nodded in understanding.
“Well then,” he looked back to the dance floor, “I guess it’s my turn to dance with the lucky lady.” Lance opened his mouth to stop him, but no words came out as Joey disappeared on to the dance floor.
“Hey man.” He looked back and saw Justin standing in front of him, with his hands dug deep into his blue jeans.
“Hey kid,” he forced a smile and took a slow sip of his drink. “How’s it going?”
“Good,” Justin let a small smile erupt on his face for a moment before it fell, “How about you? You feeling better?”
“I’ll get over it,” he shrugged knowing that he probably wouldn’t or it would be hard to. “This night’s about you guys.”
“Well don’t feel as if you have to be out here just because of me,” Justin said, he had a look of concern on his young face. Lance shrugged it off again and shook his head. “You should get some rest if you’re not feeling up to par.”
“Nah it’s ok,” he smiled at Justin for good measure, “Congrats.” As the words left his throat, he felt them scratching the back of it, for they were to hard to say.
“Thanks,” Justin grinned and took a step forward, “That means a lot to me, especially from you. You don’t know how bad I want all of you to approve of this.”
“Well we do,” he lied and rolled back and forth on the heels of his feet, “We approve of everything, especially Tiff.”

As his friend walked away Justin sighed and rubbed the back of his neck, watching Tiffany dance with now Chris. He smiled slightly at the sight, happy that all the guys had taken to her so easily, especially Trace. They all loved her, and supported their decision to push the wedding up, he couldn’t ask for more. Or could he?
He frowned and took a sip of his drink, slowly contemplating how Lance had been acting lately. And even though his friend had SAID he was happy for him, something at the back of his mind made him doubt that.
“Shouldn’t you be looking happy?” Justin grinned again and slowly turned around to face Johnny who smiled back to him. “Hey kid.”
“Hi,” Justin said and took another sip of his drink before setting it down beside him, the taste now becoming neutral to him. “I know I should, but I’ve just got some things on my mind.”
“Care to talk about it?” Johnny smiled and took a step closer; Justin shrugged and rolled his neck.
“Nah not really…” Justin began and gave Johnny a small smile before allowing his head to turn and his eyes cast back onto the dance floor. “Are you okay with this?”
“Kid,” Johnny began and patted Justin on the back, “It doesn’t matter what me or anyone else thinks, as long as you’re happy.”
“I know, but Lance…” Justin began and looked back at Johnny.
“Lance? What about him?” Johnny asked, concern filling his face Justin sighed and gave a small shrug.
“I dunno,” he began and took a step back, “He’s just been acting a bit odd. That’s all. It’s as if he’s mad at me or something.”
“Nah,” Johnny assured him shaking his head. “He’s just not been feeling well.”
“How do you know?” Justin asked looking at Johnny with question. Johnny smiled slowly before answering.
“It’s Lance kid,” Johnny then began to chuckle, “Who doesn’t know him?”
“I guess so,” Justin shrugged, “Who doesn’t know him?” But he was still unsure.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: justin lance