“Mr Bass?” It was a few months later and Lance glanced up from his paper work, smiling at the woman before him.
“Yeah?” he asked and set down his pen. The woman smiled and handed him a note.
“There’s a phone call for you from Tennessee,” she smiled and looked at the phone, “Line one.”
“Thanks,” he smiled, but his smile faltered a bit as he too let his eyes wander to the phone. He looked back at the woman and smiled, “I got it.” She nodded and walked out of the room, leaving him alone. Once the door shut quietly behind her, he took a deep breath in and picked it up. “Hello?”
“Hey man what’s up?” It was Justin. He sighed and closed his eyes for a moment. “Haven’t heard from you in ages.”
“Yeah I know sorry I’ve been busy,” he replied and leaned back in his chair, a little tense, “But, um, how are things going with you and Tiff J?”
“They’re gong,” Justin replied and he nodded, wondering why Justin was calling, “That’s why I’m calling actually, I was wondering if you’re going to be free next weekend.”
“Why what’s happening this weekend?” Lance asked, he sat up and ran a hand through his hair nervously.
“We’re getting married,” Justin replied with a light chuckle, “Didn’t you get your invite?”
“Oh yeah I did sorry,” he winced as he remembered the crisp white envelope he’d received in the mail a few days ago, leaving it on his kitchen counter unopened. “Haven’t had time to read the mail.”
“That’s ok,” Justin laughed and paused before speaking, “So will you come?”
“Uh…” he began but Justin cut him off.
“Tiff really wants you there,” Justin stated and he sighed heavily, knowing he couldn’t deny her.
“Yeah alright,” he nodded and jotted it down on a scrap piece of paper lying near by.
“Cool,” Justin answered but was interrupted by some commotion in the back. “Uh, look man, I gotta go but get the details off Joe and we’ll see you down here eh?”
“Uh, yeah ok,” he nodded and waited for his friend to reply.
“Cool,” Justin answered and hung up, leaving a dial tone ringing in his ears.

“Come on,” Joey nudged him slightly, causing him to fall forward, “Let’s get there before it’s over.” He grumbled at Joey’s suggestion and stood back up, readjusting the bag on his shoulder before walking forward to the car that was awaiting them.
“I don’t know why I decided to come,” he grumbled as they climbed into the back and sat down. Joey sighed heavily, tiered of listening to him complain all day.
“You agreed because J is our brother and he needs us there,” Joey answered running a hand through his hair and checking the time on his watch, “That and Tiff wanted you to come.”
“Why so she could rub it in my face?” he asked with a low growl and Joey shook his head, pulling his cell phone from his pocket and flipping it open.
“No, because she needs support,” he replied and dialled a number before holding the phone to his ear and looking at Lance, “Now stop grumbling for a minute while I talk to my wife.”
Lance sighed and leaned back into the seat, letting his eyes drift away from Joey and out the window as the car lurched forward and they began heading towards Justin’s house.
After he had spoken with Justin, he had considered not coming but Joey had conveniently called him and told him to pack his bags, not taking no for an answer, he reluctantly agreed knowing this was not going to go well.
He rubbed the back of his neck and squinted as he read the signs they passed, every second getting closer and closer to her and his never possible future.
“I told J we’d be there in a bit,” Joey’s voice cut through his thoughts. He looked back at his friend. “Jayce and C are already there, along with Trace. They’re all waiting for us.”
“Well they can start the celebrations with out us,” Lance grumbled and Joey shook his head, frowning angrily.
“No they can’t, and they won’t. You know that,” Joey said and slipped his phone back into his pocket before speaking, “And cut the attitude it’s getting on my nerves.”
“Well sorry for not wanting to watch my life go down the tubes,” Lance snapped and leaned back, waiting for Joey to reply.
“Well I told you this would happen, but you didn’t listen to me,” Joey said angrily, quickly becoming annoyed, “So don’t go blaming someone else for something that you created.”
“I didn’t CREATE this,” Lance growled and Joey rolled his eyes sarcastically.
“Uh, uh. Sure you didn’t, you just slept with J’s girl and got her knocked up hoping no one would find out,” Joey replied and shook his head. Lance scowled at him and crossed his arms over his chest.
“It’s yet to be proven that the kid’s mine,” he replied and Joey nodded.
“You’re right,” he replied and looked at Lance evenly, “So stop acting as if it has.”

She sighed impatiently and looked at her watch again, before allowing her eyes to trail out the window and down the drive way.
“Getting impatient?” She turned her head slightly, forcing her eyes to remove themselves from their focus point and looked behind her. Justin smiled slightly and wrapped his arms gently around her growing belly. “They’ll be here soon, I just talked to Joe. He said they’ll be here in about ten then we can start.”
She sighed and allowed herself to lean back against his chest before answering, “I know. I just…”
“Can’t wait to marry me?” he joked and kissed her bare shoulder gently, pushing aside the strap of her top with his lips as he did so.
“Yeah,” she whispered and closed her eyes, hoping he wouldn’t track the slight amount of uncertainty in her voice. She felt him smile against her skin as his lips found their way to her earlobe.
“So how’s my little man doing this morning?” he asked into her ear, quickly reverting the subject to the child growing inside her. She flinched at his words, not knowing if he was right or not.
“He’s been good today,” she nodded, telling the truth for once because she’d been having little problems the whole day and she took it as a sign.
“Good,” he nodded and pulled her so she was facing him, “But take it easy just in case. We don’t want another episode like the last time”
She smiled and stood on her tiptoes to kiss his lips gently, “I will.”
“I mean it,” he said and she laughed lightly. He smiled and heard a car pull up outside. He noticed her smile grow as she pushed away from him.
“They’re here,” she whispered and looked towards the door before rushing towards it.
“Tiff be careful! Don’t run so fast!” He called after her, but he doubt she heard him.

Lance felt his breath catch in his throat as the door swung open and she stepped out. Even though she had rounded out more from the last time he’d seen her, she was still as stunning as he remembered. Pregnancy suited her well. He snapped out of his trance, focusing his gaze on her belly. Inside of her she carried another human being, someone else, someone he could have helped create.
“Joey!” She called and hurried down the steps, flinging her arms around her friend’s neck in a warm embrace. “I’m so glad you guys finally made it!”
“So are we Tiff,” Joey smiled, hugging her back, and turned his head slightly to catch Lance’s eye, “So when do all the celebrations start?”
“Tomorrow,” she smiled and pulled back, finally looking around and allowing her eyes to settle on him. “Lance.” She said it in almost a whisper. He smiled weakly and took a step forward.
“Tiff,” he breathed and before he could stop himself, he realised he had wrapped his arms tightly around her waist and pulled her as close to him as he could. “You look lovely.” She blushed slightly, and pulled away, letting a hand fall gently on her belly.
“You look good to,” she said and smiled at him shyly, wondering what to say.
“Hey guys!” Justin’s voice broke the tension and brought Lance to look up towards the front door where his friend stood, descending the steps slowly before stopping beside Tiffany. “Glad you lot could come.”
“So are we J,” Joey smiled and stepped closer, hugging the younger man. “Couldn’t let you have all the fun.” Justin smiled as he hugged Joey back, and then glanced over at Lance with an expectant look.
“Hey Lance, man you made it,” Justin smiled slightly and pulled away from Joey, manoeuvring himself so he was in front of Lance in two quick steps.
“Uh yeah,” Lance nodded and noticed Joey giving him a stern look before nodding and disappearing in search of JC and Chris, leaving Lance alone with Tiffany and Justin. He puckered up his anger and stepped towards Justin, giving him a friendly hug. “Got the earliest flight out.”
“Well that’s good,” Justin nodded and pulled away, taking Tiffany’s hand as he did so then pulling her close.
“Let’s go inside,” Tiffany said noticing the tension and smiling weakly. “Have you eaten Lance?” He shook his head and she smiled, looking up at Justin.
“No, not really hungry,” he lied. In fact he was starving but thought he couldn’t really eat anything at the moment.
“Well still,” she said and began headed up the stairs, dragging Justin with her and motioning Lance to follow, “Let me get you something to eat.” He smiled and followed her up the steps, not a few feet behind Justin.
“Alright,” he said and readjusted his bag slightly as they entered the threshold of the house.
“Okay, J why don’t you two go find the others and then meet me in the kitchen?” she asked and looked at Justin, she had become quite the housewife and doting wife even though they weren’t married yet.
“Sure thing baby,” Justin grinned happily and kissed her lips, making Lance squirm. “But take it easy ok?”
“I will,” she promised and slipped away, as she did so Lance noticed concern etched on his friends face as she walked away.
“Is she alright?” he asked, immediately sensing something was up.
“Yeah,” Justin nodded, not removing his eyes from her trail, “It’s just that she’s been having bad morning sickness. Nothing major, I just don’t like her running around too much.”
“Oh,” Lance nodded and felt his stomach tighten at the thought of her being so sick.
“Well, let’s go find the others yeah?” Justin asked breaking the silence and looking at Lance with intense eyes before walking away. Lance nodded and followed his friend further into the house.

Justin frowned, watching her scurrying around after Lance. All she had done since he’d arrived was dote on him, and it was making Justin anxious. Not only because she was wearing herself out, but also for his own selfish reasons.
“Tiff, why don’t you sit down a minute?” he asked and placed his hands on her hips before pulling her to him and making her sit beside him on the couch, “Stop running around so much, you’re gonna wear yourself out.” She sighed reluctantly and sat down.
“Yeah Tiff, sit down,” Lance agreed from his position by the door as he leant against the door frame watching everyone in the room. Justin growled inwardly as he noticed Tiffany give Lance a small smile of agreement as she finally gave in and leaned against his chest.
“I guess I could use a break,” she smiled as Justin wrapped his arms around her waist and gently pulled her closer to him.
“Yeah you could,” he whispered and kissed the top of her head, “You doing alright though? No pains or anything?”
“No,” she smiled shaking her head and looking up at him, “No pain for a while now.”
“Good,” he smiled and reached a hand up to push away a strand of hair that had fallen in her eyes. “I’m glad, maybe it’s a sign?” She smiled and nodded again before closing her eyes.
“Maybe,” she whispered and lifted her feet up onto the couch to stretch out. JC, who was sitting on the other side of the couch, lifted her feet up and placed them on his lap so she could lie down properly.
“So what have we all been up to?” Justin asked changing the subject and drawing one of his arms out from around her waist and laid it across the head of the couch.
“Nothing much for me,” Chris shrugged from his place next to Joey on the other couch across the room, “Jayce?”
“Doing the new record, as you know,” JC smiled and gave a knowing look to Justin, “The new single’s gonna be off the rocks.”
“I heard so,” Justin smiled and looked at Joey, “Joe?”
“Me and Lance have been working on some stuff, right Lance?” Joey answered and cast a gaze back to where Lance was by the wall. Lance looked up from staring at her lying so serenely on the couch and noticed Justin glaring at him suspiciously, he nodded.
“Yeah,” he nodded and turned his gaze to glance out the window quickly.
“What kind of stuff?” Chris asked suddenly interested. Lance shrugged and hoped Joey would answer the question but he didn’t.
“Just a new TV show,” he shrugged and looked at Joey, “Apart from that nothing, I’ve had other things occupying my mind recently.”
“Other things?” JC asked raising an eyebrow and chuckling softly. Lance nodded and looked across the room.
“Yeah, actually I don’t have time to do that much…” he began but Joey cut him off, quickly saving him from his slip up.
“Yeah the TV show has been taking up a lot of both our time,” Joey smiled and glared at Lance cautiously, “I mean I don’t even have enough time for Kelly or Brianna, The show’s just got our heads rolling a bit too much that’s all he means.”
“Cool,” Justin smiled and nodded at the rest of the guys before gently touching Tiffany’s shoulder. “Tiff come on wake up, I’ll get you upstairs.” She shifted a bit, but soon her eyes fluttered open and she sighed contently.
“That’s okay,” she said and slowly sat up, “I think the nap did me good.” Justin smiled and reached out to take a hold of her arm so she wouldn’t fall over.
“You sure?” he asked and she nodded.
“Yeah… ouch,” she winced after a while and Justin’s heart beat dropped as she gripped her belly in pain.
“Tiff?” he asked and leaned forward, she waved him off but he knew it was much more than what she let up. “Come on; let’s get you upstairs so you can lie down.” He stood up and went right to her side, sliding an arm around her waist and pulling her gently up.
“Here I’ll help,” Lance’s voice said from beside him. Justin looked up and saw his friend stand in front of them before stepping on the other side of Tiffany and place an arm around the other side of her as well, helping Justin get her to the stairs.
“Thanks,” she smiled weakly and for the first time in a few minutes Justin managed to get a look at all his friends who were looking at the three of them with concern, mainly for Tiffany.
“Come on,” he nodded to Lance and Tiffany, trying to ignore the looks they were receiving, “Let’s get her upstairs.”

“What’s going on with Tiff J?” Lance asked as they descended down the stairs back to the others and he gently grabbed his friend’s arm, concern etched clearly in his eyes.
“Uh...” Justin began stopping in mid-step and glancing back towards the top of the stairs, “Nothing.”
Lance raised an eyebrow in doubt and let go of Justin’s arm, “Nothing eh?”
“Nothing,” Justin repeated then sighed heavily as the other guys crowded at the bottom of the stairs awaiting them so they could ask him the same question, all their eyes were waiting for an answer. “Just a bit of morning sickness and stuff.”
“Stuff?” Lance asked and nodded to the bottom of the stairs, they continued to walk until they had reached the bottom.
“Yeah J what stuff?” Joey asked and gave him a concerned look. “Maybe Kel and I can help.”
“It’s nothing major,” Justin tried to reassure them, “The doctors are just attributing it to stress of the wedding and stuff. It should be better once the wedding is over.”
“Are you sure that’s it?” JC asked and Justin nodded as they headed back into the other room and sat down.
“Yeah I’m sure,” he assured, he didn’t want to worry them because even he didn’t know that much. She had been hiding a lot of information from him regarding the baby’s health. “It’s just stress.”


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: justin lance