Story Notes:

Please leave feedback if you like the story, and even if you did not. 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. 

 

When it came to the different categories of women, long ago Lynn figure out she was an average plain Jane type of girl, a wall flower even.  Lynn was ok with that description.  From the stories she heard growing up Lynn knew it was they pretty girls that had the knights in shinning armor come riding in horses to take them away.  The pretty girls would be the ones dancing the night away in some exotic place.  The pretty girls were the ones spent their lives being the center of attention.  Lynn didn’t like being the center of attention; she was much happier going through life just fading into the background.  She had her apartment, her two cats who gave her unconditional love, and a job working with people she loved….well most of the time any way. 

 

As long as Lynn could remember her family owned a Mederterrian deli and imported food store.   She had fond memories of her sisters and her playing in a corner of the kitchen as her mother and grandmother cooked the daily specials.  When Lynn became old enough to work she naturally took her place behind the counter.

 

“Welcome to Camel Rider.” Lynn called towards the door when she heard the bell ring.  “What can I get you?” her back still to the counter as she finished slicing the tomatoes for sandwiches. 

 

“I’ll have a rider,” a male voice called out. 

 

Lynn wiped her hands on her apron as she turned around. “What umh…” she lost her thought when she looked his deep brown eyes. She had never seen anything like them. Quickly she looked down at the counter grabbing a towel to wipe it off.  “What kind of rider?”  

 

He looked at the menu on the wall. “I’ll have a roast beef rider.”

 

“It will take just a moment to make,” Lynn took another look up at him than back down at the counter as she began to make his sandwich.  Why did attractive men always make her so nervous?  Any other time she was an intelligent and articulate woman.

 

“How long have you been here?” Chris asked as he looked around the shop. 

 

“Almost thirty-five years now,” she answered without looking up.

 

 He watched her as she worked.  Her long dark hair was tied back at the nape of her neck.  “Wow, I can’t believe I didn’t know you guys were here.”

 

“My grandfather was old fashion.  He relied primarily on word of mouth for advertising.  After he passed away my father decided why change things if they weren’t broke.”  Lynn finished making his sandwich, wrapped it in wax paper and placed it in a bag. “Is there anything else?”

 

“I’ll have a Coke,” he said looking at the refrigerator case at the end of the counter.

 

“Help yourself.”  Lynn wrung up his order as he grabbed his drink.  “$5.50 is your total.”

 

He handed her the money then gathered his lunch. Lynn felt her heart beat a little faster at the realization that she would probably touch his hand giving him his change.  She hoped her nervousness didn’t show on her face.  She brushed the palm of his hand as she gave him the money.  His hand was softer than she thought it would be but not girlie soft. Her insides felt like they all turned into Mexican jumping beans.  She smiled at him, “enjoy your sandwich.”  Chris thanked her and was on his way. 

 

As soon as the door closed Lynn let out a sigh of frustration.  She was a thirty-two year old woman not some junior high school girl.  However, she turned into that school girl every time she was around men especially if they didn’t act liked jerks.  She was good a finding the jerks, but that was an entirely different rant in itself.  Lynn kept up her mental bashing until the phone rang.  When she finished with the caller Lynn had already put the new customer out of her mind and went about her day.

 

The next afternoon Lynn was surprised to see the attractive gentleman from the day before walking in the door.  “I take it you liked the sandwich.”

 

“Best one I’ve had in a long time,” he smiled at her.  “I thought I would try my luck again today”.  Chris wasn’t lying when he said he like the sandwich but he was also interested in girl behind the counter.

 

“What would you like to try today?”  Lynn this time was able to keep her nerves in check.  It was always easier to do when she was at work than when she was in a social situation.

 

Chris looked over the menu board.  He wasn’t sure which sandwich to pick.  Yesterday he was hungry and went with something that sounded safe.   Today he wanted something that would take a little longer to make.  He liked watching her work and though she had a great smile.  “What’s a falafel?”

 

“A falafel,” she said correcting his pronunciation “is ground chick peas with wheat and spices that is made into a small ball and fried.  It’s served like a hamburger in a pita.”

 

Chris wasn’t sure he was ready to be that adventurous today.  Lynn had to try hard not to laugh when Chris scrunched his nose at the description. “I’ll just have a hamburger,” he decided. 

 

“Do you want that on a bun or in a pita?”  For a quick moment she studied his face. She guessed they were close in age.

 

“On a bun,” he answered.

 

“Do you want any cheese?” she asked.  “We have cheddar, Swiss, or provolone.”

 

“I’ll take cheddar.” Lynn went to work on his order.  It would definitely take longer than yesterday since she had to cook the meat.   Chris decided he had made a good choice.  At lease this way he had a chance to talk to her.

 

As she worked Lynn tried to think of something to talk about.  She could keep up her end of the conversation once it got going but she was horrible at starting it.  When she turned around to grab the bread she could tell he was watching her, that made her nervous.  She turned back to the grill trying to calm the butterflies in her stomach.

 

Chris knew he had been caught watching her.  He began looking at the pictures on the wall.  He could tell they were taken somewhere in the Middle East.  “Where were these pictures take?”  When Lynn turned to look at him he pointed the pictures on the wall.

 

“Most of them are Beirut Lebanon.  A couple of them were taken in southern Lebanon.  My great-grandparents came here from Beirut just before the turn of the century.”

 

“They came to Orlando?”

 

“No, they went to upstate New York.  My grandfather got tired of the cold and snow moved down here in the early 60’s.  My parents decided to move here right before I was born to be closer to family and help run the business.”

 

“So you were born here?” he asked.  Chris thought this might be a strange question from a customer but he wanted to keep her talking.

 

“Born and raised.” She smiled then checked on his hamburger. Serving a burnt burger would not be good for business.

 

“Since I am asking for your life story I should probably introduce myself.  “I’m Chris Kirkpatrick.”

 

“Lynn Assfa” He held out his hand towards her.  She shook his hand “Nice to meet you.” He definitely had nice hands she decided.

 

“It’s nice to meet you too.” Chris noted her grip, firm but not over powering.  He hated it when girls gave a wimpy handshake. It was like they thought they would break in two or might pick up germs by touching you.

 

Lynn started to turn back to the grill but stopped as if she was in mid thought.  “As in the Chris Kirkpatrick?” Lynn asked as the butterflies came rushing back and they had brought friends with them.

 

Maybe it was a learned reaction from days gone by, but Chris’ heart sank just a bit.   “Yes, I’m that Chris Kirkpatrick.  I take it you have heard of us.” 

Lynn laughed as she pulled the burger off the grill and started to make is sandwich.  “It’s hard to live in Orlando and not have heard of the five guys that made it big.  Although I have to tell you I never really was a fan of your group.”

 

“Let me guess, you were a fan of the Backstreet Boys?”

 

“Well that AJ is kind of hot,” she said jokingly.  “Actually I listen to country music.”  Lynn saw the nose wrinkle again.  “People around here forget once you leave the city limits you are in the middle of the country.”

 

“Country, hmm…that would not have been my first guess.”

 

Lynn put her hands on her hips.  “What would have been your first guess?” she asked curiously.

 

Chris hoped he hadn’t made her mad.  “I don’t know, pop or rock.”

 

“I do listen to those on occasion, but my first choice is country.” She smiled at him as she placed the bag containing his sandwich on the counter.  “Anything else today?”

 

“Chips and a soda,” Chris replied as he walked towards the refrigerator case.

 

“Do you want plain or sour cream and onion?”  Lynn asked in front of the chip display.

 

“Do I have any other choices?”  Chris looked over the display but didn’t see any other options.

 

“No, that’s it.  I can let management know of your preference for more variety,” Lynn said in her best receptionist voice.”

 

Chris laughed. “Thanks.”  Her wit reminded him of his.  He wondered if she was just as sarcastic too. “I’ll take the plain.” Lynn placed the chip in the bag and rang up his order.  They said their goodbyes and Chris was on his way.

 

Over the course of the next week Chris had come into the deli everyday for lunch.  Lynn was a little surprised to see him on the third day but after that she started to expect him around two in the afternoon.  Chris had tried a different sandwich each day, but still not getting up the courage to order the falafel. Since the lunch rush had passed they were able to talk as Lynn made his lunch. It was easy for him to make her laugh, which he did often to see her smile.  Lynn didn’t mention the fact that she had googled Chris on the internet, or that she was putting a little more effort into her appearance in the mornings then she had in a long time.

 

Lynn looked at the clock, it was nearly two.  Just then she heard the bell over the door ring. “Welcome to Camel Rider,” she called out.  Her face lit up when she saw that it was Chris.  “You’re early.”

 

Chris looked at his watch.  “What? I’m never early.  Here let me go out and come back later.” He turned to walk back outside.

 

“Chris don’t be silly,” she called after him.

 

Chris turned around and walked up to the counter and smiled. “How are you?”

 

“Can’t complain, how about you?”

 

“Not bad, actually pretty good.  I just tied up some loose ends for a project I’m working on.”

 

“Great!”  Lynn was genuinely happy for Chris.  From what she had read on the internet the breakup of Nsync did not aid in furthering his career like it had for the other members. “What would you like to try today?”

 

Chris studied the menu board once again.  Chris was thinking what he wanted to try was Lynn but thought better of saying it.  “I’ll take the turkey club.”

 

“One turkey club coming right up.”  Lynn began working on his sandwich.  “If you don’t mind me asking what kind of project are you working on?

 

“It’s a TV show about three other ex-boyband members and I living in my house for a couple of months.”

 

“Sounds interesting, with all the reality television shows I’m sure someone will pick it up.

 

“I hope so,” Chris said as he noticed the new selection of chip behind the counter. “Hey, you didn’t have to do that.”

 

Lynn stopped working on his lunch and looked up at him in confusion.  “Do what?”

 

“The chips,” he pointed to the counter.  “You didn’t have to do that.”

 

“Oh that.”  Lynn went back to working on the sandwich. “I mentioned it to my father and he thought it might boost the sales a bit if there was more variety. So far it has worked out well.”

 

“Glad I could help. If you need anymore suggestions just let me know, I am full of them.”

 

“Oh I am sure you are,” Lynn laughed.   She grabbed a bag of Doritos and bagged his order as Chris picked out a drink.  “Here you go.” She placed the sack on the counter next to him.

 

“How much do I owe you?” Chris asked as he reached for his wallet.

 

“Nothing, it’s on the house today.”

 

“Why?  Are you sure?”  Chris was puzzled by the gesture.

 

“You have been in here everyday this week.  Just a thanks for the business.”

 

“Wow…cool.  I must say the food is great and the sandwich maker isn’t bad either.”

 

Lynn tried not to blush at the compliment, but failed miserably.  She had never even given thought that one of the reasons Chris kept coming back was her. “Thanks.”

 

“Since you’re buying my lunch can I buy you dinner?”  Chris was hopeful in asking.

 

“You want to buy me dinner?” Lynn sounded as if she was almost confused about the question.

 

“Yeah, as in you and I go some place other than here to eat.  I would like to have a chance to have a real conversation with you.”

 

“Okay,” Lynn said.  Chris thought she sounded like she was in shock.  Lynn was in shock.

 

“I know it is short noticed, but are you free tonight?”  Chris didn’t think he could wait several days to be able to spend time with her.

 

“Yeah,” Lynn had started to recover from her shock.  “I leave here at four o’clock.”  Lynn wrote down her address and phone number on a piece of paper then handed it to Chris.  “Give me a call if you need directions.  It’s not to far from here. Before Lynn had a chance to say thing else another customer walked in. Chris said he would see her at six o’clock and was out the door.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: chris