Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry it has taken so long to update.  Some times life just gets in the way.

Chapter 2

 

Lynn was greeted at the door by both cats, as usual, when she walked through the front door.  She gave each one a few loving strokes before walking into the living room.  She had been mentally going through her closet for the past hour.  She was pretty sure they weren’t going any where fancy.  A pair of jeans and a nice shirt would work well. Lynn looked through that day’s mail before setting it on the table. The clock on the fireplace mantel showed 4:30 pm.  When she sat down on the sofa Aragon was in her lap rubbing his head on her hand.  Nikka walked the back of the sofa as she waited for her turn.  “As much as I would love to sit here and pet both of you for hours, I can’t.  I am actually going out tonight.” Nikka meowed.  “I know I am shocked too,” Lynn said to the female cat.  “And it’s actually with a nice guy.  Well at least he seems like a nice guy.  He happens to be famous, so I would think if he wasn’t nice it would have been all over the papers.”  Aragon head butted her until she started to pet him again.  “Can you believe it; a man who could go out with almost any girl in this city…heck, in this country wants to go out to dinner with me?”  Lynn placed Aragon on the couch next to her.  “I need take a shower so I won’t smell like the deli”. 

 

Lynn gathered her things and headed to the bathroom.  She made sure to use the Fresh Vanilla shower gel from Bath and Body Works, the scent always made her feel a little more girly. It was her favorite but she used it sparingly since the company had quit making it.  After showering Lynn dressed in a pair of boot-cut jeans and one of the flowing tops that were currently in style.  Her sister Michelle had brought it back from her latest shopping trip in New York.  The two sisters were very much opposites in many ways.  Where Lynn didn’t care if she was wearing the latest fashions or not, Michelle on the other hand pored over the fashion magazines and only wore the latest styles.  When Lynn looked in the mirror she noticed how well the copper color played well off her olive complexion and dark hair.  Lynn pulled her hair back into a high ponytail. She applied a small amount of makeup, just enough to highlight the brown color of her eyes and some shine to her lips. Lynn didn’t want to look like she spent all afternoon getting ready.

 

The butterflies in her stomach started to flutter again.  She reminded herself that this was just two people going to have a meal together.  It was no big deal.  Yeah right she thought.  Not only is this guy extremely attractive he is Chris freaking Kirkpatrick.  He is going to spend an hour with me and think I am such a geek.  He’ll never want to see me again.  Lynn suddenly stopped pacing the bedroom floor. “I have to call him and cancel,” she said aloud.  “Shit!” she yelled when realized she didn’t have his number and no way to contact him.  Lynn looked at the bedside table and noticed it was fifteen minutes before six o’clock.  Maybe he will change his mind and not show up she thought, but then again he didn’t seem like the type of guy to do that.  Besides they were just going to dinner as two friends, it's not like it was a date or anything. With a great sigh she put a pair of high heel boots and walked towards the kitchen. She poured a generous amount of food into each cat’s bowl, and then prayed a quick prayer that she didn’t do anything to embarrass herself tonight.

  

The cats raced for their hiding spots when they heard the knock.   Lynn took a deep breath as she headed to the door. “Here goes nothing.”  She checked the peep hole before opening the door.  She smiled as much as her nerves would let her as she opened the door.  “Hey, did you have any trouble finding the place?”

 

“Hey” Chris smiled as he walked through the door. “Nah, it was pretty easy.”

 

“Let me grab my purse and I’ll be ready to go.”  Lynn went to the kitchen to grab her bag then walked back to Chris. All the times he had come into the deli she didn’t realize they were about the same height.  Now that she was standing next to him with three inch heels on she was taller than him.  The butterflies in her stomach started their dance once again.

 

Chris noticed the expression on her face change to nervousness.  He felt a little sense of relief that she was nervous too.  “Did I mention you look very nice?”

 

“Thank you,” a small smile crept across her face. “You clean up well yourself,” she said as she noticed his black polo shirt and jeans.

 

“Thanks” Chris did a model like turn “Are you ready?”

 

“Yeah, let me just lock up.”

 

As they walked to Chris' car Lynn wasn't sure of what she was expecting but it wasn't a PT Cruiser.  She felt more relived than let down.  She was glad to know he wasn't flashy about being famous.

 

"Do you like Mexican?" Chris asked as he started the car.

 

"Yeah, I love Mexican, well anything but Taco Bell."

 

"Uhm…how do you feel about Italian?" Chris said with a straight face.  He laughed at the look Lynn gave him. "That was a joke.  There is a great little Mexican place."

 

Lynn blushed. "Sorry, I didn't know if you were joking or not."

 

"I could tell by the look on your face. It was like you were deciding if you should leave while you still could."

 

Lynn blushed even harder. "My mom says everything I think shows up on my face. It made it really hard to get away with anything when I was a kid"

 

"I'm sure my mom would have wished I was like that."

 

"Were you a trouble maker as a child?" Lynn tried to picture Chris as a little boy.

 

"Not really a trouble maker, but I kept my mom on her toes.  She always told me I had enough energy for three kids.

 

Their conversation continued with an easy flow.  Lynn began to forget to be nervous. When they arrived at the restaurant she knew she had seen the store front hundreds of times but had never been inside.  She wondered how many times she had been near Chris and did not know it.  They were seated at a table without much of a wait.   Chris took a quick glance at the menu and put it down while Lynn took her time to look at all the selections. 

The waitress appeared to introduce herself and take their drink orders. “I’ll have a Dos Equis,” Chris said ordering a Mexican beer.  “Would you like one?” 

“Thanks, but I don’t drink.” Lynn looked back down at the menu.  “I’ll have a coke,”   

The waitress said she would put in their drinks and be back a few minutes to take their food orders. 

Chris was hoping he didn’t mess up by ordering the beer. “If it bothers you can get something else to drink.”

 

“No, it’s okay.  I don’t have a problem with other people drinking.  Its choice I made several years ago. Besides, I’m not crazy about the taste of alcohol anyway."

 

Chris felt a sense of relief.  He didn’t want to end his chances before he even had time to get to know her.  He wasn’t looking past dinner but you never knew how things could turn out.  This woman could be the love of his live, new best friend, or only the memory that brings a smile to his face every once in awhile.

 

Lynn looked over her menu once more.  “What would you recommend?  Everything sounds good.”

 

“That’s the problem.” Chris laughed.  “Everything is good.  I am always partial to the tacos.  The nachos are another one of my favorites.”

 

As the waitress returned to their table Lynn quickly decided on the fish tacos.  Chris ordered a variety platter since he could not decide on just one thing.  Once the waitress left Chris began looking through all the promo cards on the table, then began to move his silverware around on the table. 

 

“You can’t sit still can you?” Lynn asked trying not to laugh. 

 

“What?” He gave her a deer in the headlight look. 

 

“Sorry,” Lynn looked down at the table.  “I have to confess I looked you up on the internet.  There was mention that you were hyper and couldn’t sit still.” 

 

“That is one thing they did get right.  Lynn,” she looked up at him at the mention of her name.  “Please don’t believe everything you read there.  Half of is lies and the other half they stretched the truth.”

 

 “It must be rough with everyone thinking they know you so well.”

 

“It’s not as bad as it use to be, but I still meet people that want to act like my best friend.  You have to keep everyone at arm’s length because you can’t always tell what people’s intentions are. Some are real obvious about it, but over the years I have become better at telling who is around for the right reason and who isn’t.” 

 

“Do you teach classes in how to do that?” 

 

“What keeping people away?” Chris asked.  Lynn nodded. “Why?” 

 

“I have a knack for attracting losers. Present company excluded.” Lynn quickly added.  “It seems like I have this sign across my forehead that says losers apply here.  They start out seeming like a nice guy then the next thing you know they are telling you what they think you want to hear to get in your pants.  After that all of the sudden they stop calling and are always busy except when it is covenant for them to meet you for a quickie.”  Lynn instantly stopped talking.  She couldn’t believe she was telling Chris all of this.  She didn’t want to know what kind of girl he though she was. 

He could tell she hadn’t meant to say as much as she did. “I don’t see a sign.” He reached across the table moving the hair away from her forehead.  “Nope, I still don’t see it.”

"That's because to you I am just the nice girl at the sandwich shop and this isn't a date." Lynn said matter of fact.

Chris was about to argue his point to let her know how wrong she was when their food was delivered. He decided to drop the conversation while they ate.  He would have plenty of time later to make his point. 

"Here try some of the quesadilla."  Chris put a small portion on her plate.

Lynn took a bite.  "Mmm, that's good."  She put her fork down and looked at all the food on her plate. "There is no way I am going to finish half of this"

"I happen to know their stuff makes great leftovers. You have to admit I am great at picking restaurants"

"I don't know about that.  I will admit you picked a great Mexican place."

"I also chose the deli." Chris smiled

"Yes, that was a great choice too."

"I know a good Thai spot too.  I stay away from seafood, though I am on Red Lobster's ten most wanted."

"You're what?" Lynn laughed so hard she thought she might have to excuse herself.

"Yeah, they ran me out because I was aggravating the lobsters."

"Do you eat out often or can you cook?"

"I'm not a master chief by any means but I can cook.  At least I haven't burnt down the house yet."

"That's good to know."

"What about you?"

"I'm decent.  I'm no expert either but I know my way around the kitchen. When I was in college I took a couple cooking classes to break up all the business classes."

"What type of classes did you take?"

"Just the basic type.  All it really means is I can crack an egg with one hand and know the correct way to chop an onion."

The waitress brought over a to go  box and the check. Lynn placed the rest of her meal in the box and reached for her purse. "How much do I owe?" she asked as Chris looked at the bill.

Chris couldn't stop himself from laughing out loud. "It's nice that you didn't assume I was paying because I have the money to do so.  Lynn this is a date. I asked you out that means I am paying so just put you money away."

Lynn took a deep breath.  How did she get herself in the middle of a date with a gorgeous man? Lynn did not have that type of luck. She decided to simply say, “Thank you.”

Walking to the car once the bill had been taken care of they decided to go back to Lynn’s house to drop off the food. Both of them agreeing fish tacos sitting in Chris’ car for a couple of hours would not be a good idea. 

“What would you like to do next?” Chris asked as Lynn walked to the kitchen to put the food away.

“You mean you don’t have this all planned out?” Lynn joked.

“Nah, I thought we would play it by ear.”  Chris noticed the gaming systems stored under the television. “Oh man!  You have a Super Nintendo.” He sounded like a little boy on Christmas morning.

“The original one I had from college.” Lynn said as she walked in to the living room. “I still have some games for it too.”

“Games too?” Chris’ eyes were almost glazed over. “Do you still play?” He couldn’t believe he found a woman that liked playing video games.  Most women weren’t into the games and thought it was childish that he still played.

“Yeah, I still play from time to time. Isn’t that the point of having the game system to play games?” Lynn laughed. “I have Mario Brothers, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, and a few others I don’t play very often.”

“Can I come over sometime and play?” Chris looked hopeful.

“If you want we can play right now?”

“You wouldn’t mind?”

“Not at all.”  Lynn pulled out a couple of oversize pillows and put them in front television for them to sit on.  She took off her boots before sitting down.  Chris sat down next to her as she set everything out.  "What would you like to play?"

"How about I kick your butt in Mario Kart?"

Lynn laughed.  "Actually that would not be hard to do. I love the game but the only time I seem to win is when I am playing against the game.  My sister Marie has been kicking my butt in this game for years."

"After a few games of games of that I can kick your butt on Donkey Kong."

"Hey! Those are fighting words. I will have you know I am the queen of Donkey Kong Country."

Chris turned on the machine. "Let the butt whipping begin."

The two of them sat there for over three hours playing games, laughing, and talking.  When Lynn would get her car near Chris' he would press buttons on her controller to make her crash. Watching them it would be easy to think they had known each other for years instead of a few short days.

After their fifth try at Mario Brothers Lynn began to stretch and yawn.  She quickly covered her mouth. "Sorry, it's not the company I promise. I am usually in bed kind of early since I need to be at the shop so early in the morning."

Chris looked at his watch and noticed it was almost midnight. "Don't be sorry.  I didn't mean to keep you up so late.  What time do you have to be at work tomorrow?"

"I don't have to work tomorrow.  My sisters work Saturdays. One is married and the other is in graduate school.  They both have other things going on, but we have always worked there.  They don't mind and it gives me weekends off."  Lynn yawned once again. "It really isn't the company." She smiled.

Chris got up from the floor and stretched. "It's okay I should probably get going anyway."

"Thanks again for dinner.  I really did have a good time tonight." Lynn said as she walked him to the door.

"I had a good time too." He leaned forward giving her a soft kiss on the lips. "Good night." He turned and walked out the door. Lynn closed the door leaned against it for support and smiled as her finger tips lightly touched her lips.


Incomplete
cailinaingeal is the author of 4 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked Out of the Darkness also liked 359 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: chris