Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry guys, had a little internet trouble over the weekend. I hope you guys had a wonderful thanksgiving and I hope you enjoy the newness!!
"I'm not sure I want you two to go." Lynn said, pacing the kitchen the next morning.

Paul stood, leaning up against the island in the middle of the large kitchen, Trace was positioned next to the refridgerator. Chione stood next to Trace, trying desperatly to get Lynn to approve, "He needs us Lynn. He's been cutting himself and that's dangerous stuff. Now that he's alone, he could really hurt himself and have no one there to get him to a hospital. He could die and no one would know." She whispered.

Lynn shook her head and tried to fight back the tears, "What if he's all crazy again? What if he starts swinging at you Chione? It's hard enough for me to deal with the fact that he used to hit you."

"That's when I step in momma Lynn. I won't let him hurt her or himself." Trace said.

Lynn stopped in front of her husband and leaned into him, crying into his chest. Paul threw his arms around his lady, rubbing her back slowing and allowing her to wet his shirt. Trace and Chione put their heads down, knowing how hard it was for her to know that her pride and joy was doing this to himself.

"Please bring my baby home to me." She whispered, facing Chione and Trace.

"We'll try our best momma Lynn." Chione whispered back.

"I uh, I'm gonna go check on Dionne. Be safe." Lynn said back, leaving the kitchen abruptly.

Paul watched her leave and then turned back to the two, "She'll be alright, it's hard on her. It's hard on all of us. Just, if he gets out of control, call me."

Chione and Trace shook their heads and smiled weakly as Paul jogged up the stairs to join his wife. Trace and Chione stood in the kitchen for a few minutes more, not really sure if they were ready to brave their journey, "You ready?" Trace asked after a while.

"I think so."

He grabbed the keys off of the counter and waited for Chione to grab her purse before walking through the foyer and out the front door. They climbed into the large Escalade and listened to the engine hum to life. Within minutes, they were on the freeway, not speaking, not listening to music, nothing. Both of their heads were swimming with thoughts and questions, both hoping that he'd be okay. Chione watched as they flew past the other cars, making them inches closer to Justin estate. Chione saw the exit up ahead and closed her eyes tightly. It was now or never, all she had to do was say the word. She looked over at Trace and saw the same fear that she had written all over his face. He wanted her to say the word, she could tell. The closer and closer the exit came, the harder Trace gripped the steering wheel. He put on the blinker and moved over into the lane that was closest to the exit. Chione mouth opened but nothing came out. The car kept rolling toward the exit sign, bringing them closer and closer to what they considered hell.

It seemed as though they both had stopped breathing when they finally reached the exit and left the freeway. They went around the bend, slowing down to 30 like the sign said to do and came to the stop light. Only then did they breathe again; there was no turning back now. The scenery soon became familiar to Chione again, she hadn't been down that way in so long she was afraid that she had forgotten the way. Trace maneuvered them through the streets with ease but he did so slowly, not wanting to reach Justin before they really had to.

They drove up over the hill and spotted the sign to the neighborhood. Trace put on the blinker and slowed down. He turned into the community and slowed to a stop at the gates.

"Oh, how you doing Trace?" The old man said, stepping out from the box at the gates.

"I'm alright Mr. Thomas, how are you?"

"I'm good, i'm good. Who you got with you there?"

"Uh, Chione. You remember Chione don't you? She used to live with Justin."

The old man bent down slightly, peering past Trace and into the passengers seat. His face lit up with a smile when her face rejogged his memory, "Of course I remember Chione. It's been a long time since I've seen you around here sweety, how have you been?"

"I've been very well Mr. Thomas, it's good to see you again."

"You too baby. You know I have to ask you for the password."

"Rockstar 67895." Trace spoutted out.

"Alrighty, you guys have a nice day and it was good seeing you again Chione darling."

"You too Mr. Thomas."

With that, the old security guard hit the button and gates opened up to them. Trace pulled through slowly and started down the long street, "The password is still Rockstar?" Choine said, trying to take her mind off of everything else.

"Yeah, they usually change it after a while but I guess they haven't had time."

"Hmm, yeah."

"He asked about you a lot after you left." Trace said, not taking his eyes off the road.

"Who?"

"Mr. Thomas. You were his favorite girlfriend of Justin's, he asked about you for weeks when he stopped seeing you."

She laughed quietly, "That's sweet."

A few more minutes went by before Chione felt the car slowing down again. Trace turned into the driveway but was met by another pair of gates. He put the car in park and leaned back in his seat, "We're here."

The both stared up at the large house, weighing their options internally, "We can turn back." Trace said.

Chione shook her head, "No we can't."

He sighed again, "Yes, we can. You don't know what he's been like, he's not the same."

"He hasn't been the same for a long time. You seem to forget that I've seen his behavior as well, I know it's not him."

"So you're sure you want to do this?"

"I'm positive Trace, open the gates."

Trace rolled down the window and typed in the four digit password. The gates swung open, allowing them access to Justin's home. Trace pulled the Escalade further down into the driveway and parked it in front of the garage doors. He shut the car off and stepped out, locking the doors after he heard Chione's door close. They walked slowly together up the walkway and to the front door, Chione taking the lead. Once they reached the front door, Chione paused and looked at Trace, waiting for him to cough up the key to the house. He fumbled around with the key chain for a minute and then placed the keys in its respected place on the door, twisting it to the right to gain entry. He pushed the door knob down and pushed the door open, revealing the empty and quiet foyer.

Chione stepped into the house, the sound of her feet hitting the floor filling the silence. Trace stepped in and shut the door behind them and stood in his spot as Chione looked around. So many memories she had in that foyer. She remembered walking through that door and through that foyer countless times, dropping her purse and shoes next to the wall and walking straight into the kitchen to get dinner ready. She walked further into the living room and stopped, she and Justin used to spend a lot of their time in the living room. Watching movies, talking, spending time with their friends and family; she could practically hear the laughter radiating through the walls.

He had kept the furniture that they had picked out together. She ran her hand over the white leather of the couch, smiling at the distant memory. They had fought terribly over that couch, she had fallen in love with it and he hated it. After a few days, he had given in and they ended up buying the entire set, couch, love seat, coffee table and end table. She looked down at the once black coffee table and noticed the white powder than now coated it. She ran her hands though her hair and then turned back to Trace, "It's quiet."

"He's probably passed out somewhere."

"Don't be like that okay? Let's just find him and get him out of here."

Trace sighed again and ran his hand over her head, "Shall we start upstairs?"

"Sure."

They made their way over to the stairs and started to climb them slowly. When they reached the top the walked across the cat walk and came to the closed master bedroom door. Chione twisted the knob slowly and pushed open the door, peeking around the room as she swung the door open. Light spilled into the otherwise dark room, illuminating the non moving lump in the bed. Chione and Trace walked slowly into the room, Chione walking around the bed to face Justin, Trace stopping at the other side. Chione kneeled down and swallowed hard, her breathe quickening with each passing second.

She reached her hand up to the sheets and she noticed how hard she was shaking. When her finger tips hit the sheet, she gripped it softly, pulling back to reveal the sleeping Justin. She let out a labored breath, her eyes glazing over with tears when she saw his beautiful face for the first time in what seemed like years. He looked so peaceful, lying there with the sheets wrapped around his body. Looking at him, you would never guess that he was addicted to such a dangerous drug. Everything looked like normal. Before she knew what she was doing, she let her hand fall to his face, her finger tips running softly down the side of his face. The softness of his skin was just as she remembered it and a soft smile came to her face. She let her thumb run down his nose and along his lips, etching his face into her mind.

Just then, the sleeping form began to shift and move. He took in a deep breath and then let it out, moving his head from side to side. He raised his back slowly off of the bed and the layed back down, his eyes fluttering slightly. He breathed out heavily again but then, stopped moving, making Chione and Trace think that he hadn't fully awakened. Chione stood back up and was about the motion to Trace to leave when Justin's eyes popped open.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story