Author's Chapter Notes:
This is just a story I started up recently. The first few chapters are just background so it might be boring at first. Sorry in advance.

 

She pulled up to the house, nervous as all hell. She hadn’t seen or spoken to anybody in that circle in three months. Thinking about why she was here made her want to open her car door and puke all over the neatly trimmed grass.

       

 

           She tried the code to the gate and of course she was denied. It had, after all, been three months. She clicked the black buzzer button, almost hoping nobody would answer, but she was quite sure he was home as his cars were in the driveway.

       

           “Shay?” It was a voice she recognized, but not the one she was dreading. She waved at the camera connected to the gate in which she was trying to cross. It swung open rather slowly as she put her car in drive and drove in the same spot she always did.

       

            Getting out of her car made the butterflies all the more upset. They were fluttering everywhere, even to her legs, which were forgetting to move. She shook it off and made her way to the door, with a cute doorbell on it. She knew if she pressed it, it would play Thriller inside the house.

       

            Turned out she didn’t have to hear the real king of pop as the door swung open before she had the chance to press it. Seeing him was not a shock, it was kind of a relief. She had missed his crazy self. He had always managed to make her laugh and even now when she was so nervous she couldn’t think straight, her lips curved into a smile even at the sight of him.

       

           “I do declare,” The warm body enveloped her into a hug, one that was long overdue. She didn’t want to let go of that familiar feeling. Once she let go of this moment, she was sure to face one that was not so friendly, “I missed you.”

       

          “I missed you too,” She looked down awkwardly as now she was standing by herself just inside the door as he closed it.

       

         “He’s in the backyard trying to get sun, but when does that ever work?” Shay half laughed.

       

        “You made him put the lotion on right?” Trace shook his head and they both had a laugh.

       

        “Well at least we know we can have lobster for dinner now.” Her nerves were starting to clear up at his jokes. He always had that effect on her. She took in a deep breath and made her way towards the sliding doors that would lead her to the outside of the house. One look at him and all the butterflies came back. She grabbed the handle and stepped out. She turned around to close it, and she could feel them, his eyes glaring at her back. He always had that glare that you were lucky to survive because it could burn a hole right through you.

      

         She turned back around, almost chickening out, but she realized as her stare met his that it was too late for that. She walked over slowly to where he was sitting and sat in the chair next to his.

       

        “You know you’re going to be burnt to a crisp,” If she didn’t say anything first, she knew they would just sit there in silence.

       

        “I’ll take my chances. So, what’s the reason for this visit?” His voice was somewhat cold, something she had quite expected.

       

        “I’m long overdue for Justin gaming,” She managed to make a smile; he just continued to sit there, putting his headset away, “Okay. I came to say that I’m sorry.” These words, however, did not go over well.

       

       “SORRY? The day you actually mean that, give me a call.” She looked down at her hands.

       

       “Justin, please.” Justin sat the rest of the way up, adjusting his chair to the height that was necessary to do so.

       

       “You were the one that walked out on me remember?” A tear escaped her eye, and he kind of gave a tiny laugh at it. She started praying in her head for the Lord to give her strength to get through this day.

       

       “I had stuff going on. I’m sorry Justin. I really am. I was confused. Justin, please?” Maybe the guardian angel did save the day, as she saw his face soften a little bit.

       

       “You’re my best friend. We’ve known each other since we were two years old and suddenly it’s like you can’t even talk to me about anything,” Shay brought her knees up to her chest, setting her chin in the nook in the middle.

      

        “I know. At the time though, if I recall, you were the one I was having the confusion about.” Justin shook his head a little bit before looking back at her.

       

        “Is it all cleared up now? Obviously, you’re at my house. It’s been three months since you bothered to show up. I’ve called you a thousand times. I’ve left 50 messages on your voice mail. You could have just called once to tell me you were okay.” Tears formed in Shay’s eyes, as she quickly wiped them away with the palm of her hand.

       

       “The thing is, I’m not okay. Justin, I have to tell you something.” He looked up at the sky as if he were praying himself. He was probably praying for her disappearance.

       

       “Then tell me. I’m listening.” She put her knees down, setting her feet on the concrete floor. She fidgeted with her hands for what seemed like hours, but was really only about ten measly seconds.

       

       “I’m…pregnant.” She put her head in her hand and instinctively began crying, much like she had been since she found out. She thought she would have relief once she had finally told somebody, but now all she wanted to do was turn away and run back to be with herself. She couldn’t look up to see his eyes. If she did, she knew she would see anger, which was the last thing she needed. She had quickly passed the just a little crying mark, and began crying so hard she had started hiccupping. She looked up only so she wouldn’t drown in her own snot and tears, only to find him laying back down looking at the sky. Just looking at him started another batch of tears.

       

        “Is it…” Justin trailed off, but she knew what he was asking, but she still couldn’t stop crying. She tried but as she did her face just started trembling. She swallowed them down long enough to give a tiny whimper of a yes. She heard Justin give this long drawn out sigh.

       

        After many moments had passed without anybody speaking, Shay’s crying had reduced to just tears slipping down once every ten seconds or so. She quickly tried to wipe them away. Her whole shirt was wrecked with tears among other things.

       

        “I shouldn’t have come. I’m sorry,” She got up to leave, quickly straightening herself up. She started to walk away, but she felt his hand on her arm. It made her tears start to form again. She missed him so much.

       

        “Stay.” She closed her eyes at his words and collapsed into his chair, where he wrapped his arms around her. His shirt was soon filled with her tears. 

 


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story