He sat watching, waiting. His eyes scanned the wide area of the food court, running over faces and bodies, looking for his prey. It usually wasn’t this difficult. He usually found someone to his liking within minutes of his arrival at his chosen hunting ground.

 

But today was different. He was almost bored, sitting there, watching all the mortals go by. His thoughts traveled to her and he immediately saw her in his mind’s eye. She was on the third floor of this building, seducing a teenager.

 

He smiled.

 

Her victims were always clueless. Even when she went after the doctors or the lawyers, or the other so called pillars of the community; all fell to her in the end.

 

His mind traveled to the night that he had been born to darkness as he called it. She always scowled at him when he said that. She hated anything to do with pop culture and what she called the degradation of their kind. While he immersed himself in everything that was ever written about what he was or what he might have come from, she made her own rules, set her own path. She liked to think that she was paving the way for a new era of their kind.  He thought it was nonsense, a boring way to spend eternity that’s for sure.

 

Suddenly sweet music filled his senses and immediately he could see a choir warming up in front of the fountain downstairs. He felt a dull ache come into his heart. He missed his music. He missed his band mates, his brothers. Ebony was true to her word. They were just another meal to him. So he avoided them as much as possible, his love for them and their safety making him keep his distance. Eventually they all went their separate ways. He hadn’t seen any of them in months. Well not in person. He could see them in his mind when ever he wished.

 

JC was sitting in front of a piano in a studio on the west coast, penning what would be one of the greatest songs he would ever write. His solo album would win him critical acclaim and millions of fans, new and old, all over the world.

 

Joey was standing on a stage in New York City, anxiously awaiting his name to be called for his chance to audition. He wouldn’t get this role but he would meet someone that would be beneficial to career in the future.

 

Chris was laying on a beach somewhere in Jamaica. The young brunette that was laying across his chest wanted nothing more than his money and a little piece of the limelight. Chris would have to learn this lesson the hard way.

 

Lance.

 

Justin’s brows drew together trying to block the man’s name before he could see anymore but it was useless.

 

Lance was passed out on his bed in L.A. Needles and baggies of white powder surrounded him, along with empty bottles of Jack Daniels and Jose Cuervo. The break up of the band had hit him hard. There wasn’t much left of him and what was there, wouldn’t be there long.

 

“Fuck,” Justin muttered, rubbing his temples.

 

Yes he was immortal, yes he was all powerful, but mortal heartaches still plagued him. It was the one thing that he wished would go away once and for all. Ebony said it was his gift. He said it was his curse.

 

His thoughts were interrupted suddenly and one word sounded in his mind.

Danger.

 

It seemed to chant over and over again in his head. His brows furrowed in confusion and he returned his thoughts to her.

 

Her vision exploded into his mind. She was standing in a deserted hallway and the teenager that she had been seducing was in her arms. She seemed to have stopped mid-feed. Her neck was stretched out as it usually did when she was searching for something. Her eyes were moving back and forth quickly and he knew she was listening. Her victim was still alive and was starting to break from her spell. He was trying to pull from her but she just shushed him.

 

Justin almost laughed. She thought she owned the world and everyone was supposed to cater to her. Except him of course. He too had the same mentality, but when it came down to which of them was the leader, which one really owned it all, they were equals. They never challenged each other.

 

His mind’s eye returned to her and the teenager was struggling more. He watched her roll her eyes and mutter an obscenity before grabbing the boy around the neck  and viciously turning his head to the side. He heard the crack of the bones as they broke and he winced.

 

That was why he never challenged her.  She could be extremely sadistic if she was pushed far enough.

 

All this time the warning echoed in the back of his mind. It was starting to annoy him.

 

“Meet me at the fountain. Quickly. And watch your back.”

 

Her voice now accompanied the monotonous chant. He stood then, pushing his blue tinted sun glasses further up his nose. He made his way to the escalator and rode down, enjoying the sound of the choir that was still singing near by. As soon as he stepped onto the tile floor she was in front of him. He jumped slightly, startled.

 

“I hate it when you do that,” he grumbled.

 

That chant was really getting annoying. It was only making his headache worse.

 

“We must go,” she said grabbing his arm and trying to pull him toward the exit.

 

“Why?” he asked. “I kept hearing-”

 

“Danger,” she finished for him.

 

“Yeah. What the hell?”

 

“Its your dark senses. They’re warning you. Danger. We have to go now.”

 

She still had a hold of his arm and was pulling them toward the doors.

 

“But-” he said and she spun to face him, her dark hair flowing like a shadowy halo around her face.

 

“God you haven’t fed yet!” she said in an angry whisper.

 

“I didn’t see anything I liked,” he said digging his hands into his pockets and scuffing his sneakers against the floor.

 

“You are so-” she started.

 

“Amazing,” he said smiling at her, his canines glinting under the fluorescent lighting. She scowled.

 

“I cannot believe-” she started again.

 

“That I am this incredibly sexy. I know its hard for me to believe too,” he said, smoothing the front of his shirt, knowing he was trying her patience. She gritted her teeth and took a deep breath.

 

“I’ve told you to just pick some one and then start shopping.”

 

“I know but where’s the fun in…”

 

His voice trailed as  the chant in his head became more intense, the beat pulsing with his heart.

 

“We have to go. Now,” she said grabbing his arm and pulling him out the exit.

 

The parking lot was quiet, not a trace of any of the cars owners. She cursed silently.

 

“Even if we did find someone in the parking lot I probably wouldn’t want them,” he said with a smug grin.

 

“You are too damn picky,” she said as they walked up to his motorcycle.

 

He threw his leg over the little V15 and she followed suit looking around uneasily. She had only been a few days old the last time she heard the warning. Warnings of this magnitude meant only one of two things: approaching daylight, which was impossible because it was only seven-thirty, and hunters. She shivered slightly as Justin situated himself on the bike. He looked over his shoulder at her.

 

“Cold?” he asked and she smiled.

 

“Always.”

 

He just rolled his eyes and chuckled softly, jump starting the bike just as she caught movement out of the corner of her eye. Her head jerked to follow the movement and she saw a young man, no older than Justin when he was alive. He was tall and had a large build. The danger warning was pulsing through her blood now. As he moved closer she caught a glimpse of the pendant around his neck. She didn’t need to see it up close to know what it looked like. A small silver falcon on a chain with a ruby for an eye. The symbol of the hunter.

 

Just as she was about to tell Justin to get them the hell out of there, they jumped into motion, the bike taking them quickly and noisily out of the parking lot and onto the main road. She looked back several times making sure that they weren’t being followed.

 

She returned her attention to the road that was stretched out in front of them. She rested her face against Justin’s shoulder and sighed.

 

“Where are we going?” His voice echoed inside her head.

 

“Back to the hotel,” she thought and he increased his speed.

 

They arrived at their destination, parking in the private garage. They took the elevator straight up to the pent house where they were staying.  Justin couldn’t help but notice the way her eyes were moving slowly, watching everything around them. She looked much like she did when she was hunting. The thought of hunting caused his blood to burn. He was hungry. They should have stopped and picked someone up off the street. At this point he would take anything.

 

“Ebony?” he said as they walked into the living room.

 

“No we are not going out any more tonight,” she said sternly.

 

“But Baby I’m hungry,” he whined, sounding much like a five year old child.

 

“And whose fault is that?” she asked raising an eyebrow at him and he scowled at her.

 

“What the hell is your problem?”

 

“Justin, do you not listen to your senses?” she asked walking to stand toe to toe with him. “Danger.” She said flicking him in the forehead. “Its still warning us.”

 

“But it’ll be really quick I promise. Just let me snag a maid or something,” he said.

 

“And draw even more attention to us?” she asked moving to plop down onto the couch. “I don’t think so.”

 

“Then what do I do?” he asked as she picked up her novel from the coffee table.

 

“I don’t know Justin. Write music, practice some old dance routine, read one of those trashy vampire novels. Just get your mind off of it,” she advised and he sighed falling into a chair across the room from her.

 

A few hours had passed and they were still sitting in the living room, she reading, he trying to write music. The hunger was now consuming him. His blood seemed too hot for his body, like lava was flowing through his veins. He looked up at her, content in her reading.

 

“Ebony,” he said softly, doing his best to sound weak, which wasn’t very hard.

 

“If you wouldn’t have such expensive tastes we could find some rats,” she said smiling inwardly.

 

“Eww.”

 

“Well you said you were hungry,” she said looking up at him.

 

He was extremely pale, more than usual. He really did need to feed, but she couldn’t risk it with a hunter nosing around.

 

“Hunter?” he asked and she looked at him pointedly.

 

“Yes,” she said gravely. “Did you see the man in the parking lot when we left the mall?”

 

“Yeah,” he said, “So.”

 

“He was a hunter. Danger, remember?” she asked.

 

“What so he’s like Buffy or something?” he asked.

 

“The way you compare us to the stupid stereotypes of pop culture amazes me,” she muttered. “Yes like Buffy.”

 

“So what. We just kill him,” he said shrugging.

 

“Its not that easy Justin,” she said shivering slightly. “They are born to hunt us, to kill us. It’s in their blood.

 

He almost moaned at the sound of that word. Blood. Red, warm, delicious blood. He was fucking starving. He couldn’t take this burning any more.

 

“Fuck it. I’m going to feed,” he said standing up, ignoring the shocked look on her face.

 

“You can’t go out there!” she exclaimed, following him to the door. “Justin he’s a hunter. Its too dangerous.”

 

“I don’t care. I’m hungry,” he said opening the door.

 

“I’m not letting you go,” she said grabbing onto his arm.

 

She was strong. Stronger than him. She was older and it was a well known fact that power increased with age. It was one of the few things that Anne Rice got right. But he amazed her by taking hold of her wrist and pulling his arm free, walking to the elevator. That was impossible. She was five years older than him.

 

“Justin, you’re only a year old. You can’t fight a hunter. You aren’t strong enough,” she pleaded as he stepped into the elevator. “Plus they come in packs. Where there is one, there are at least ten more to follow.”

 

“I don’t care. I’m going.”

 

“God dammit! You’re too fucking stubborn! Fine! Get your ass fucking killed for all I care!”

 

The elevator doors closed and she slammed her fists against them, leaving dents in the metal.

 

Justin rode the elevator down to the parking garage. A kid in a delivery uniform was hanging around his motorcycle. He smiled. This would be easier than he thought. Then his toes began to tingle and the chant came back into his mind.

 

Danger.

 

Danger.

 

Danger.

 

He pushed it to the back of his mind as he walked closer, purposely kicking a rock to let his presence be known. The boy turned around with a start and Justin smiled at him.

 

He was tall, with broad shoulders and a slim waist. His sandy blonde hair was a little on the longish side, just barely touching his shirt collar. Scared doe brown eyes stared back into Justin’s stormy gray orbs and Justin’s smile widened.

 

“You like the bike?” Justin asked bringing himself closer.

 

“Yeah,” the boy said running his fingers along the leather seat. “Its awesome. I want one like this.”

 

“Really?” Justin asked moving to stand beside him and the boy looked into his eyes.

 

The chant was echoing so loud Justin couldn’t even use his sense of seduction. He would have to do this the dirty way. He struck hard and fast, grabbing the boy quickly, his teeth piercing the artery in his neck and he felt something sharp stabbing him in the side. He winced but didn’t let up, draining his victim until the heart stopped.

 

He allowed the body to drop and wiped his lips. He looked down at himself and stuck in his left side was a dagger. He simply pulled it out and looked at the intricate design carved into the ivory handle. He pushed the boy with his foot and the lifeless body fell onto its back revealing the holder for the knife attached to the boy’s belt.

Justin ripped the sheathe from the boy’s pants, the sound of tearing denim echoing in the silent garage.

 

Justin looked around. Where the hell was he going to dump this thing? He looked around scratching his head. The corners of his mouth turned up as he spied a grate. He walked over to it and using his strength he pulled the grate from the ground. When he went back to pick up the body he noticed the boy’s watch. He shrugged taking it along with the boy’s necklace and wallet, shoving it all in his pocket before picking up the body and carrying it over to the grate where he dropped it into the sewer. He replaced the grate and dusted his hands off, sighing contentedly.

 

Ebony sat on the couch pouting. The chant had stopped a few minutes ago. She was trying to connect with Justin but he was either too far away or he was blocking her out. She didn’t even want to think of the other possibility. One of the few things that her maker told her before he left her was that if you came into contact with a hunter you should run. But she hadn’t told Justin that. He wouldn’t have listened any way. He was so fucking stubborn. Her thoughts were quiet for a moment, her frustration with the situation causing her to feel helpless.

 

She gritted her teeth. Fuck him. If he wanted to go off and get killed she wouldn’t care. Not one fucking bit. There were thousands of men, mortal and immortal that she could have.

 

Who the hell was she kidding? She needed him, much more than she probably should have. He was her world. Everything that she lived for she found in him.

 

She heard the door open and immediately jumped up, running to see him. He was standing there, his skin holding a healthy glow. He was pulling things out of his pocket and setting them on the table. She threw her arms around his neck and he held her close smiling into her hair.

 

“Miss me?” he asked pulling back to look at her and wiggling his eye brows at her.

 

“God damn you,” she said pulling away from him and giving him a swat on the chest.

 

“Come on babe I was only gone like fifteen minutes,” he said.

 

“Yeah but-”

 

“I found a kid in the parking garage,” he said cutting her off.

 

“Really,” she said smiling softly, glad to have him with her.

 

“Hanging around the bike. Mother fucker stabbed me with this,” he said picking the dagger off the table and showing it to her.

 

“That’s nice,” she said running her fingers over the handle.

 

“Yeah. I don’t know what this kid was getting paid but look at this watch,” Justin said picking it up. “This is platinum I know it is.”

 

“How much money is in the wallet,” she asked and he looked through it.

 

“Couple hundred bucks,” he said shrugging and she nodded as he dropped the wallet back on the table. “Oh there was a necklace,” he said digging into his pocket and producing the piece of jewelry.

 

She gasped stepping back from him as he held it out to her. It was a small silver chain with a falcon pendant with a small ruby for an eye.

 

“What?” he asked.

 

“Where did you get that?” she asked.

 

“From my dinner,” he said with a laugh and she looked at him dumbfounded.

 

“What did you say he looked like?” she asked him.

 

“Tall, blonde, young. Like my age,” Justin said and she stumbled to sit in the chair.

 

“Something wrong?” he asked crouching to be eye level with her.

 

“We’re in big trouble,” she said softly as the chant of danger found its way not only into her head but into her heart.


Incomplete
SomethingBlue42 is the author of 59 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked The Dying Game also liked 379 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: girlontop vampire