Author's Chapter Notes:
Well, I finally got this one out! Hope you like it!
New York City. Wednesday July 26th, 2000

Joy woke up to the soft music of a radio alarm clock. She opened her eyes and saw that it was six in the morning. She groaned before turning over. Justin was still sleeping next to her. She slipped out of bed and pulled Justin’s shirt off the floor and put it on. She walked out of their room and down the spiral stairs to the sunroom. It looked a lot bigger than it had last night, and she also noticed the hot tub on the outdoor balcony. She continued on to the kitchen, where she dug through the cabinets until she found a tea kettle. After filling it with water and placing it on the stove, she went to explore some more. She walked from the kitchen across to the living room, which was all set up with a nice leather couch, a loveseat, and several single seats. Off the living room there was a hallway where Joy found two guest bedrooms, fully furnished with walk-in closets and they each had a bathroom. She then walked back over to the sunroom, where she went up the other set of spiral stairs. There she found another guest bedroom on the same level as her bedroom, and there was a skinny balcony that she could use to walk back over to her bedroom. Directly underneath the guest bedroom was another bathroom, accessed from both the sunroom, and from the bedroom through a small set of stairs in the room.

When she heard the kettle whistle, she broke out of her exploring and went back to the kitchen. She searched through the cabinets for some teacups. When she found them, she took two out and poured steaming water onto the tea bags. She walked with both cups back to her bedroom, where Justin was still sprawled out on the bed. She ran the steaming tea under his nose, and he groaned quietly.

“Mmm, lemon tea,” he murmured.

“I made you some, baby,” Joy answered.

Justin flipped over and sat up in the bed. “Hey, that’s my shirt,” he said as he took the tea from her.

“You’re welcome,” Joy replied. She sat down next to him, and they both maneuvered so she could settle in the crook of his arm and they could still hold their tea. “What’s on the agenda for today?” she asked him.

“We have to be at FAO Schwartz at ten to promote our new puppet toys,” Justin answered.

“Oh, that should be fun!”

“Yeah, I hope so.” Justin sighed. “So what are you doing today, precious?”

“I really would like to know what’s up with this beautiful house,” she said.

“You don’t like it?”

“I love it…but where did it come from?”

“I bought it for you, silly,” Justin replied.

Joy’s jaw dropped. “You bought this place for me? When? Why? How?”

Justin giggled. “A few weeks ago I asked Chicken to look for some places for me, and this one was one that she sent me pictures of. It was already mostly furnished, it just needed some changes. So I had that done too, and Mike brought all of our stuff over from the hotel while we were out last night...I just had to do something for you.”

“Why?” she asked softly.

“Because your dad beat me and bought you a car, remember? I can never be upstaged!” he exclaimed. “So, now will you tell me what you’re doing today?”

Joy opened her mouth to answer him, but the doorbell interrupted her. “That must be Dylan.” She moved to get up, but Justin stopped her. “What? I have to go open the door.”

“I understand but can you please put some underwear on first?”

She smiled sheepishly at him. “Oops.” They both laughed, and Joy picked her underwear off the floor and put it on, kissed him, then ran to open the door. She gasped when she saw Dylan standing there with the guys and Ben behind him, each with grocery bags in their hands. “What’s going on?”

“Breakfast,” Dylan said. “Now let us in, Ben has to work his magic before Sexual Chocolate come to kidnap the guys.”

Joy laughed as she let them in, and they all gave their positive opinions about her new home. She watched as Ben set up shop in the kitchen, and the guys went exploring. She went back to her room, only to find Chris and Joey attacking Justin on their bed. She just shook her head before digging through her suitcase for some clothes and her toiletries. She walked into their massive bathroom and hopped into the shower. She was rinsing the shampoo out of her hair when Justin joined her. They were able to get ready without wasting too much time, and when they were all dressed they walked downstairs to where the guys were sitting in the living room watching the Today show.

“It’s about time you two decided to join us,” JC said as they sat down together on a loveseat.

“We had to get dressed sometime, smartass…unless you wanted Justin to walk around naked,” Joy replied as she curled her feet under Justin’s legs.

“No thanks. I’ve seen him naked enough times to be scarred for life,” Joey said as he made a disgusted face.

“Breakfast!” Ben called from the kitchen.

They all ran to the dining room and began eating. Not even a second after they had finished, their security team showed up. Joy had just enough time to remind Justin where she was going today (to his disdain) before they were ushered out the door, and Joy was left with Ben and Dylan. While Dylan settled himself in front of the TV, Joy helped Ben pick up all the plates and dishes and begin washing them.

“This is the first time we’ve been alone since the day I met you, Joy,” Ben said as he passed her another clean plate to dry off.

“Yeah I know. Tour life is a bit crazy,” she replied. “I’m sorry I haven’t spent too much time with you, Ben. I’m sure our parents want us to get to know each other while we’re out here.”

“I suppose they would,” Ben answered. He then looked at her. “Why aren’t you performing while we’re here, anyway?”

“You don’t beat around the bush, do you?”

“Not usually.”

Joy sighed. “I told Julia she could take me off for this week so the guys could have more time for this HBO concert they have tomorrow night.”

“You’re a damn good liar…but I won’t push the issue,” Ben said.

“Thanks.”

Ben shut off the water and dried his hands. “What are you going to do with all your spare time?”

“Well, I do have someone I have to go see today, but all the other days…” She shrugged. “I have no idea.”

“We should hang out one morning, at least until lunchtime,” Ben suggested.

Joy smiled. “Yeah, that would be okay.”

“All right, well I better get going. I have to get back to the arena to set up for supper tonight,” Ben said before kissing Joy on the cheek. “See you around. Your house is nice, by the way.”

“Thanks.”

When he left, Joy went to look for Dylan in the living room. She sat down next to him on the couch. “Are you ready to go?”

“Where are we going?” he asked her.

“Saks.”

He groaned as he stood up and stretched. “All right, lets go before I fall asleep on your extremely comfortable couch.”

“Let me just go get my stuff.” She went back into her room and took out a pair of oversized sunglasses and a purse. They left her house, and Dylan took her down to the garage where he had parked the car. She got into the backseat and he drove off towards the store. During the short ride, she called Britney to make sure they were still on for their meeting there, and she said she was. When they got close to the store, Joy told Dylan to drop her off a little ways off so she could walk in calmly and not draw attention to herself. He agreed, but he said he wouldn’t take long parking the car and he told her to stay on the first floor so he could find her. Her idea worked, and she was able to get into the store unannounced. She was sniffing various perfumes when Dylan found her, and they made their way upstairs to the designer clothes. It was there that she found Britney looking through the Marc Jacobs clothes.

“Hi,” Joy said as she approached her. Britney was wearing sweats, large glasses, and a floppy hat to hide herself.

“Hello. So, I was thinking we could do some clothes shopping here and then go over to Bergdorf to the stylist I sometimes go to…I’ll call and say that I’m bringing a friend,” Britney replied, all business.

“What exactly is she going to do to me?” Joy asked.

“Just lighten your hair a bit to look like mine, and show you the type of makeup I use.”

Joy sighed. “All right. I guess if I have to be you, I better do it the right way.”

“That’s the spirit!” Britney answered. “Okay, lets get moving.”

In the back of her mind, Joy prayed she would have the stomach and the courage to go through with this, and she also prayed it wouldn’t tear her away from Justin. If that happened…there would be hell to pay.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Justin closed the door quietly behind him as his eyes adjusted to the dim lighting in the house. The TV in the living room was on but the volume was low, and he could see Joy’s feet dangling off the edge of one of the loveseats. He smiled as he walked towards her. When he saw her he did a double take. Her hair was a lighter blonde and she was wearing some natural looking makeup. She looked a shitload like Britney, and that scared him.

Suddenly her eyebrows furrowed and her face became agitated, like she was in a nightmare. He breathed a sigh of relief when he recognized Joy’s unique features. Concerned, he leaned over and took her slight frame in his arms before sitting down with her in his lap. Her groans ceased immediately and she settled into the crook of his neck.

“Hey, precious,” he whispered into her hair.

“Hey J,” she replied, her voice laced with sleep.

“Were you having a bad dream?”

“I don’t remember.” She turned his head and kissed him. “How was your day?”

“Long and I missed you,” he replied. “Yours?”

“Same. Not to mention I had to hang out with your ex-girlfriend the whole damn day.”

“Better you than me,” Justin said, and he yelped when she pinched him. “Ow! What was that for?”

“I’ll have you know that it took a lot of self control on my part not to accidentally throw her out a window somewhere,” Joy said menacingly.

“The world would be a better place,” Justin said as he flipped through channels on the TV, his voice monotone.

“She did do a lot to help me out, and she said she’s going with us to Santa Monica with me since it’s going to be my first real appearance as her,” Joy explained.

“Uh-huh.”

“And then we had hot lesbian sex together.”

Justin whipped his head around to look at her. “What?!”

“You weren’t paying any attention to me!” Joy whined.

“I’m sorry…its not you, its just that I’m used to blocking Britney out whenever her name is mentioned. But I heard you. I don’t like the idea of her being there with us in Santa Monica, but I’d rather have her there helping you than not, because that would mean you weren’t there and I’d have to deal with her myself.”

Joy sighed. “That’s true.” She put her head back on his shoulder. “So, I was thinking once the tour ends, we have to get my car up here,” Joy said, completely changing the topic.

“Road trip?”

“Yeah, and I wanted to know if we could bring your little brothers along. I want to get to know them better,” Joy added.

Justin smiled broadly. “That’s the best idea I’ve heard in weeks, Ale…now I just have to convince Lisa to let them come with us.”

“Do you think she’ll let us take them?”

He shrugged. “She’ll make it difficult, but I think she will.”

“Good. That way we can spend some quality time with them…maybe we can even take them with us to Santa Monica!” she said excitedly.

“Wow, you really want to do this, huh?” he asked her with a chuckle.

“Yeah I do…they’re really cute and I need to get to know them since they may be my brothers-in-law sometime soon,” she replied coyly.

“So confident! Who says I’ll end up marrying you?”

Joy’s jaw dropped and she sat up far enough to punch him. “Hey! That wasn’t very nice!”

“Don’t assume things,” he said as he rubbed the spot where she had hit him.

“So is that a plan?”

“Sure, I’ll call Lisa tomorrow and see what she and Daddy say.” He yawned. “Now can we please go to bed? Tomorrow is the big day and if I have rings under my eyes they’ll come out worse on TV.”

Joy squealed as he picked her up into his arms and started walking to their room. “Yeah and I’m planning on taping the concert for future viewing, so you better look your best. I’ll be showing our kids, and then our grandkids that.”

“There you go assuming things again! Who said I want to have kids with you?” He laughed when she reacted to that statement again. “Just kidding, baby, just kidding.”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Orlando, Florida. Tuesday August 1st, 2000

Joy woke up and stretched luxuriously until her hand hit the headboard of the bed. As she lay there waking up, she recapped the end of the tour. On Thursday, the guys had done their live televised HBO concert from Madison Square Garden. The next morning they got up early and performed in front of 15,000 fans on the Today show’s summer stage outdoors, and they chatted with Katie Couric. After the Today show, they had gone to Planet Hollywood with Pink and Sisqo for a press conference to promote their basketball charity event, Challenge for the Children II, which was planned for Saturday night at St. John’s University. Then at their concert that night, Janet Jackson made a surprise appearance to congratulate the guys on their success. On Saturday they had the basketball game, and on Sunday after their last concert in New York they stopped by the “Coyote Ugly” premiere. Late that night the buses drove them down to Hershey, Pennsylvania, the last stop on their US tour. After their performances, Joy and Justin hopped on a private plane to Memphis, picked up Justin’s brothers, and then flew down to Orlando. They finally got to Justin’s house around three in the morning. Today was going to be their day to relax before starting their road trip tomorrow.

Just as she thought about going to check on Justin’s little brothers, she heard a roar, then a squeal of delight, and the pitter of small feet running past the doorway. Joy groaned as she realized her quiet wake up time was now disrupted. Justin was still sleeping like a log, so she climbed out of bed and walked to the door and out to the hallway. She scooted out of the way just as Steve toddled by her, and then she felt someone much bigger slam into her. She saw stars as she reached out to stop her fall with the wall.

“Dammit, Trace! Don’t you have something better to do than chase around little kids?” she asked with a laugh.

“Nope…I like chasing after little kids and running into people too,” Trace replied.

Joy smiled as Steve ran to her and hugged her legs. “Yeah, this I see.”

“Up, up!” Steve whined, and Joy leaned down and launched him into her arms.

“Good morning Baby Lake!” Joy cooed as she spun slowly.

“It’s actually one in the afternoon, Joy,” Trace corrected. “I’ve been keeping these boys company since noon.”

Jon bounced over to them and pulled on Trace’s pajama pants. “You’re still it, Trace!”

Trace kissed Joy on the cheek before roaring and taking off after Jon again. Joy laughed at their antics before turning and walking downstairs to the kitchen with Steve. She filled a tippy cup with apple juice and she sat down on a stool with him in her lap. Jon came barreling into the kitchen, and he stopped right by Joy.

“Can we go swimming?” he asked her.

“Sure Little Lake, but don’t you want to eat something first?”

“I guess,” he replied.

“All right. Go play with Trace a little more and I’ll call you when brunch is ready, okay?”

“Okay.”

She watched him take off again, and she laughed. They both had an enormous amount of energy. She looked down at Steve who was contently sipping his juice. She placed a kiss on his forehead, and when she looked up she saw Justin ambling into the kitchen. “Good morning, J.”

“Hey babe,” he replied before picking Steve up. “Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat’s up, little one?”

Steve loudly returned the greeting, and they touched noses together.

“Jon says he wants to go into the pool after we eat. Then we were invited to eat supper at my father’s tonight,” Joy reminded him.

“Yeah, I remembered,” Justin said as he ran a hand over Steve’s flyaway hair. “The pool sounds great right about now, too.”

“JUSTIN!” Jon yelled as he went flying past Joy again.

“Whoa, where’s the fire, little man?” Justin asked.

Jon hid behind Justin’s legs just as Trace appeared in the kitchen. “Hide me, Justin!” he hissed.

Trace pretended to look through the kitchen. “Has anyone seen a little boy, about this high, running around here?”

“Um, is he wearing pajamas?” Joy asked, playing along.

“Yeah,” Trace answered.

“Does he have blonde hair and blue eyes?” she asked.

“Uh-huh!”

“Nope, haven’t seen him.”

Trace sighed dejectedly before walking back out of the kitchen.

“All right little man, I think you can come out now,” Justin whispered, and Jon giggled before slipping out of the room.

Joy smiled. “Five, four, three, two, one…” They heard a roar and a squeal of delight, and they laughed. “Right on time,” Joy said.

Joy whipped up a nice batch of French toast, and after they ate Justin sat the boys in front of the TV for half an hour to digest their food before going into the pool. As Joy stood in the pool holding Steve and watching Justin play with Trace and Jon, she wished life were as simple as it was when they were children.

Justin pulled away from Trace and Jon when he saw Joy playing with Steve in the shallow end of his pool. He felt himself smiling when he thought that she would one day hold his children in the same delicate way she was holding his little brother. He swam over to them and wrapped his arms around them both from behind; he placed his chin on the shoulder Steve wasn’t on. “Is this how you’ll hold my son?” he whispered in her ear.

Joy turned her head and kissed him. “Who says I want to have your children?” she said softly, her voice husky.

Justin smiled before kissing her again. “Nice one.”

“J-Man, how about a nice game of pool basketball? Quit making out in front of the kids dude!” Trace yelled.

Joy laughed as Justin pecked her one last time before swimming back over to his best friend and his brother. The day was certainly turning into the most relaxing one she’d had in a while, surrounded by her boyfriend and his family.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Chapter End Notes:
Now I have to go work on the next update...leave me some reviews!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story