Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to everyone for reading and reviewing :)





As I sat down on my couch in front of the dark television I felt as if my life just might end today. I am shaking, literally shaking. Why I’m so scared of Daddy is beyond me.

I heard Justin at the door and took a deep breath trying to straighten myself out before opening the door.

“What’s up Ray?” he hugged me.

“Hi,” I smiled.

“This is my mother. Ma this is Rayne.”

“Hi sweetie, it’s so nice to meet you,” she said before pulling me into a hug.

I feel like she doesn’t hate me, I thought she would hate me. “It’s nice to meet you too.” My father is going to hate Justin. That’s going to make me feel even worse if Daddy hates him but his mother doesn’t hate me. “Did you want to come in or…?”

“Nah, we can get going” Justin answered as I grabbed my bag and followed them to his Escalade.

His mother went right to the backseat, “You can have the front.”

“No hunny, you know where we’re going, I’m fine in the backseat.”

I nodded my head and sat down on the passenger’s side. Justin looks nice, he’s wearing a blue button down shirt, “You look nice. Thanks for doing this.” He nodded his head and I looked back at his mother, “Thank you.”

“Of course sweetie,” she answered with a smile.





To think I thought I had the nicest house I’ve ever seen. This house has to be three times the size of mine. It’s not even a house it’s a city. We followed Ray inside and were led to his office. He’s very intimidating. He was sitting behind his desk and stood up when we walked in. He was wearing a pair of glasses that made him look very educated and a suit. I feel like he’s one of those guys that always wears a suit.

“Daddy this is Justin and his mother…” she paused realizing she doesn’t know my mother’s name.

“Lynn… Harless” my mother smiled as she shook his hand.

“John Dontayo,” he moved on to me, “Justin.”

“Nice to meet you sir,” I answered shaking his hand just as firmly as he was shaking mine. It is possible I’m going to pop a blood vessel. He’s squeezing my hand like it’s a fucking stress ball. I guess he’s trying to let me know who is boss.

“Take a seat. Rainbow shut the door.” She did as she was told and in turn I did as I was told. I looked over to see that my mother too did as she was told. He is intimidating, that’s a given. “So Justin, you’re a singer?”

“Yes sir,” I answered. I doubt he really doesn’t know who I am. Most people know who I am. Then again, he’s probably more focused on directing blockbusters to give a shit about a kid that has a couple number one singles.

“And you got my daughter pregnant.”

Sure sir, I got your daughter pregnant. She had absolutely nothing to do with it. While she was sleeping I surgically implanted my sperm inside of her.

“Daddy,”

He looked at his daughter and then back at me, “I’ve been thinking about how we’re going to do this and the solution is simple enough. You’re going to get married.”

“What?” I asked out of shock.

“Daddy, we’re not getting married.”

“You are going to have his child Rainbow. You will be connected for the rest of your lives no matter what. When people have babies they get married. End of story.”

“Sir, I don’t think…” I tried to explain why that is the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard but he did not let me finish.

“You know, Justin, that in this business image is everything. I am positive that you would not want to ruin your career with the news that you got Rainbow pregnant while you were dating her friend Jennifer Lawrence.”

“She’s not my friend Daddy.”

I couldn’t even form words. I would first like to know how he knew I was dating Jennifer when Ray got pregnant. Then I would like to know how he can come off like it’s all me. I don’t know what he thinks about his daughter but it’s coming across like she’s a little angel and I’m the asshole.

“Jennifer was your friend, it doesn’t matter if she is or not at this moment. The point is that you know how important it is to keep up an image in this city. It is important for you to be this wholesome boy next door and it’s important for me to keep my image.”

And what exactly is it that this has to do with him? He is really suggesting that I marry his daughter.

Marry his daughter.

I looked at my mother for some kind of an explanation or some kind of help on the matter. She knows enough not to listen to this man.

“What is it you’re suggesting?” my mother asked.

“They get married. Simple as that. They met, fell in love and got married. We’ll release a statement to the media, have a small wedding and it’s settled.”

Yeah, that sounds wonderful. Except for the fact that we’re not in love. I hardly know the girl and now I’m supposed to be alright with marrying her?

“Daddy it won’t work because they’ll find out when the baby is due and they can tell that it was before we got married. Then they’ll say we just got married for the kid and then it will backfire.”

“If that happens then we’ll say you got married in Vegas a week prior. We’ll ‘accidently’ release your marriage certificate from a month ago. Then the baby will be early. Simple as that.”

Why the fuck is my mother not saying anything? She’s just sitting there like she’s actually thinking about it. They want us to get married. Why am I the only one that sees how fucked up that is?

“Daddy that’s crazy. We’re not getting married.”

“I want to talk to Lynn alone, you two go outside.”

I do not understand why this guy thinks that he can just tell me what to do like that. I am a grown man, I am not a fifteen year old boy who got his girlfriend pregnant. He is not my father and can not tell me what to do. Ray stood up and noticed that I wasn’t planning on moving. She gave me a look asking me to come. I looked over at my mother who was also giving me that look and I took a deep breath and stood up, following Ray outside.

She walked into the kitchen and grabbed a chocolate cream pie from the refrigerator. After grabbing two plates and forks she cut us each a piece then sat down and began to inhale the pie. “He’s crazy,” she spoke out.

“He is a little crazy,” I agreed.

“How can he possibly think that it’s a good idea that we get married? I don’t know you. I certainly don’t love you and I mean…”

“Thanks Ray,”

“It’s true. What like you love me?”

“No, but I don’t come right out and say I don’t.”

She turned her head back to her pie, “I can’t believe that they are actually entertaining that idea. That’s like the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard in my life. I am not getting married,” she spoke quickly. “I feel like I’m getting married off. Like I’m in India or something and I’m getting married off.”

“You are getting married off,” I answered softly. She’s not just feeling it it’s actually happening.

“This is so stupid. Seriously my heart is like beating in my throat.”

I nodded my head, she really knows how to make me feel like shit. I know I shouldn’t take it personally but it’s hard not to.

“I feel like we’re ten.” I spoke up for the first time.

“I know right? It’s like we’re ten years old. They can’t tell us what to do.”

I nodded my head but I have a feeling that Ray’s father can easily tell her what to do. The fact that she calls her father Daddy is enough to prove it. Any girl that calls her father Daddy over the age of eight is trouble, I learned that a long time ago.

What are my thoughts on getting married? Obviously I don’t think it’s the best idea, but I also don’t think it’d be the end of the world. Unfortunately, I know where the man is coming from as far as keeping my image. there is no doubt that the news I got Ray pregnant while still dating Jennifer will have some effect on my career. Especially since I’ve sold so many records based on songs about being cheated on and having my heart broken.

It’s not that I want to get married to Ray, but I feel like it may be a solution. I do like the girl, granted I do not know much about her. What I know I like. And we are going to be stuck together with this kid anyway. I almost feel like it’d be wrong not to give it a chance, for the kid. But then again, I don’t know if getting married is the necessary step. If I had anything to do with it I’d suggest dating first.

But clearly this is out of my control.



Justin is just sitting there zoning out completely. I don’t understand what is wrong with my father. I hate that everything has to do with images with him.

“What are you thinking?”

He shrugged and played with his sleeve as he spoke, “I see where he’s coming from with the image thing.”

I took a deep breath, “Why does everything always have to do with keeping up an image?”

“Because my image is my career. I’m not a garbage man, I’m in the public eye and if my image is ruined it’s back to the chopping block for me. I can’t do that.”

“So you think we should get married?”

“I don’t know what I think. I think we should try to work something out, even if just for the kid. It would be amazing if it could have parents that, ya know, are together in some sort,”

He’s seriously saying we should get married. Um… why am I the only one that finds this morally wrong?

“I’m just saying, ya’know, we could try it. If it doesn’t work out it doesn’t work out but maybe we should try it.”

“It’s marriage. You’re not supposed to try it out and if it goes wrong oh well you get a divorce. That’s what dating is for. Who has ever heard of getting married to someone you’ve known for a month only to have sex with? I don’t know anything about you. I don’t know when your birthday is or your favorite color”

“January 31st, blue” he answered as he moved closer to me, “Listen Ray, I know this is really fucked up but I really do want what’s best for everyone. I’m thinking about the kid and I’m thinking about your father and my image. And you, I mean it’d be good to have someone else there to help with the kid. You don’t want to have to do that by yourself.”

Was that a proposal? As if these past few weeks were not confusing enough I think Justin timberlake just proposed to me saying that it would be good for me to have someone to help with the kid. That’s exactly how I dreamed my proposal would be.






We were called back into the office and sat down quietly.

“We think that it would be a good idea to do what John said,” my mother spoke up. I couldn’t really believe what I was hearing. Who would ever think that my mother would want me to marry a girl I hardly even know.

The thing is, she is not only my mother but also my manager. I’m sure as a mother she’s not too into the idea of me getting married to the girl I just fucked and got pregnant. As my manager she knows that it will ruin me in a matter of seconds.

“What do you think?” my mother asked me.

I nodded my head and spoke softly, “I agree with you as far as the image thing goes. So I guess… I mean, we have to do what we have to do.”

They turned their gaze to Ray.

“Whatever,” was her response.

“Alright then, it’s settled. We need to come up with a prenup.”

That got my mother’s attention. This man is really suggesting that I’d be interested in his money. I have my own money, thank you very much. I don’t need your daughter to support me.

“Of course. They will leave with what they come in with. Any money either of them make will go be their own money.”

“Perfect.” Her father answered sternly, “I’ll meet with my lawyer to draft it up. You can meet with yours and we’ll set up a meeting.” He stood up, I’m guessing he was trying to tell us it’s time to go.

I stood up and shook his hand, then my mother did.

“I have a meeting Rainbow,” his response caused Ray to stand up and walk out of the room without saying anything to her father. I followed after her and found her standing outside by my car.

“Are you alright Ray?”

She nodded her head and then my mother came out. we drove back home in silence. I decided I’d drop my mother off first and then go back with Ray. We need to talk, that’s pretty obvious.
I never thought anyone would feel so angry about marrying me. Then again, I never thought I’d be put in the situation I’m in now.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story