Mariah’s POV

2 weeks later.

I drummed my fingers on the counter, trying hard not to count the minutes until my shift is over. I tucked my lip in and tried to busy myself with wiping the top shelves clean, even though they were seemingly spotless.

I was passing the time and it was sort of working. As long as I was focused. I stacked more cups on top of one another, making sure they don’t tumble and just in case we needed more. Things were almost too set, too neat. I was running out of jobs, this was usually the deal with these kinds of jobs.

Leaving a lot of room to think about things. But I didn’t want to think about anything. My life, for once, wasn’t well, it wasn’t great, but I accepted it. I tried to weed out everything that’s happened and start over. I promised myself I wasn’t going to get involved. I wanted to wipe my slate clean. Make a new name, maybe it was my way of ignoring what matters most.

So what happened to us you’re wondering? I was stuck but this time I wasn’t going to get distracted. I wasn’t going to be used anymore. I felt a little better that way. I didn’t have to question anything.

I bent over wiping at the tables for a second time. Just because I avoided certain people, doesn’t mean it was easy for me.

I did think about him. Too much. He drives me insane now. The perfect combination of crazy and desire. But it was challenging for me to balance what I wanted with what I needed. And I couldn’t decide if he was either. I made my mind up.

It was over, but how could it be when it didn’t even start? I lay awake at late at night, dreaming of what could be. If something had happened. I did want that. But it was work. I couldn’t fight for anyone.

I must have spaced out because I was wiping at the same spot. I blushed even if nobody was here. I went back behind the register and counted up the last of the money for the night.

I could close up early, but I had a lot more laborious duties left. I licked my finger, flipping at the notes I copied down for the final numbers of tonight. We were doing OK as far as business goes. I was happy even though it was just me. Most shifts are me but it was fine. I manage night shifts better than morning ones. Keeps me more aware at night for some reason. I had an alert mind at night.

Rae’s Diner was a quiet, dour place. One of those late night spots between nowhere and tomorrow. They shot a movie here a while ago. It was plainly decorated with pale yellow walls and your typical 60s cracks in certain areas. It was snug, believe it or not, I felt like it could protect me from the outside world. I was glad no one could bother me here.

I started filling the sugar bottle and stocking up the packets in their places. After that, I took out my calculator and typed in the numbers. What was left of them, I almost forget to add the change. My slight ADD kicks in every now and again.

I chewed on my lip, thinking what else I needed to do before I shut off the lights. I grabbed my notepad and checked what was left on the to do list. Everything was pretty much crossed out. But there had to be something missing.

I heard a knock on the door and lifted my head. I ran over to the door, looking at him through the door. I wasn’t ready for this.

I debated whether to open the door. Maybe I’m just fooling myself. This is all too unreal for my own good. The only people who talked to me are my boss and co-workers. It worked out fine.

I sighed and walked over to the door. Baby steps. I opened it not once taking my eyes away from who it was.

“Hey, Eric. What are you doing here?”

I moved away so he could step inside and give me strange hug. His hugs were usually so tight so I should expect being out of breath but its been a while for me. He held me there for a little bit longer until he pulled back, placing his hands in his jean pockets.

“I’m just glad to see you. Little Mimi, back at Rae’s. Just like always. How are you doing?”

I exhaled out. I haven’t seen him since that day, I guess I should expect this too. “I’m doing fine. I was almost finished so I was about to head out soon.”

“Did you bus here?”

“Yeah, but its no problem, I was going to call mom for a ride back. I never take the bus after 10 at night anyways.”

He shrugged, “Its nothing, I’ll take you. I just got her message, she said to come here to tell you she’ll be back late.”

“Not really holding my breath. What’s her excuse?”

Eric started playing with the pull out straws. “She’s out with Karen I think. They’ve been talking a lot lately. Anyway, you ready to get going?”

“Give me a minute, I have to lock up.”

I turned around and began putting away all the notes I laid out. I did a final check in the backroom in case I forgot to clean anything else. Looked clean enough. I was tired, even if things weren’t completely spotless, it doesn’t matter.

I spotted Eric waiting by the door and joined him. I shut off the lights and closed the door behind us, locking it. I did a pull test to check if its locked. It was secure enough.

I hugged my shoulders as we walked toward his car. LA feels like New York sometimes. No one sleeps, business doesn’t really close, and life is dry and dirty around this time.

“Mimi?”

“Hmm?”

“Who’s Josh?”

I almost tripped over my feet, “Who? Uh… why?”

“Jake told me about this guy who was over the house when you got out of the hospital. I just know his name at the moment. Who is he?”

Truth was, I couldn’t figure it out. “Well, mom and dad know his parents. Why are you asking?”

“Your mom told me he and his parents are coming over. Actually, I they’re there now. I meant to say that first. I knew there was something I was supposed to tel--”

This stopped me at a powerful halt, “What?! They’re at the house now? Oh shit!”



Josh’s POV

I knew I was going into the lion’s den and I had to face it. It was like a republican going on a Bill Maher show. I debated staying home but my mother insisted we go over to make over for 2 weeks ago when we planned this.

Isn’t this nice? One big happy fucking family? And she was going to be here any minute now. Well, if I’m lucky. Maybe Eric realized she took the bus and was coming back. Either way. She was coming here. Was I ready?

My magic eight ball mind says no, but why was I the one that felt this way? She left me. Didn’t tell me what was wrong, just disappeared from my life. But I knew it wasn’t the end, that’s why try and contact her.

Sitting on the Anderson’s couch made this so difficult. What was I going to do when I see her? That one night of passion floated around my mind like a tornado ruffling about. It was hard not to think about everything that happened that night. I spent the entire day with her. Still burning in my thoughts.

If had half a mind to just drive back home I would. Where alone is the usual regiment of daily life and I didn’t have a care about anything else. Yep, that was me. Solitaire to the bone. I lived to be by myself. Nothing ever satisfied me. Or maybe I was perfect and I didn’t want women to know what was going on. That’s all I knew.

If anyone were to get inside my head, I fear for their lives. Its cold and dark and there are demons strewn around. It was messy, I was scared of being so open, until I met her.

I feel like finally, here it is, and it wasn’t a simple thing. Closing myself off was the past and I was moving on. It wasn’t that long ago but I’m not giving up. Even if I didn’t think I was ready. We have a chance. I wanted her in my life and I didn’t want to keep saying that. It’s going to happen.

I know she loves me. Don’t ask me how or why. I was going to find out some things. I had to.

I heard the car garage open and I instantly stiffened. Here we go. I felt like I was at the top the roller coaster about to plummet nearly 100 feet above the soil. I enjoyed and feared this feeling. I was going into the deep end with out the floatation securing my fall.

I wanted to be as discreet as possible but also let her know exactly why I’m here. I didn’t have much to go over all my lines. It was one of those wind it with passion things.

How can I get some answers now? I just wish there was a way I whisk her away to isolation and forget about all this. But I knew this was important. When I said I loved her, it was everything. Bits and pieces of life flashed before my eyes and all I wanted to do was lay forever and forget everything else that I was going through.

But I placed that fantasy away for a good moment. I need to be careful. I stood up and waited for her to come to the living room. I leaned against the wall and tilted my head to get a better look at the back door. It seemed like they were taking a long time just to get out.

I spotted her trailing behind Eric. She was wearing her pale pink uniform and her hair was messy but she still looked beautiful. She held this sullen look on her face that I was drawn to.

She looked beaten, worn out, almost like she didn’t want to be anywhere. Shit, this is going to be harder that I hoped. I didn’t want to make her more angry than she probably already feels. God knows what’s been going through her mind. Am I anywhere? Does she think about that day?

I have to try a different way. Maybe demanding wasn’t the best option. I exhaled deeply thinking about how I was going to do this.

I didn’t think when I said it, “Mariah, hey.”

Way to go asshole. Subtle much?

She barely glanced my way as if she was completely surprised I was on the planet let alone her house. I waved a little, covering up the nerves of course.

Her eyes were squinting when she came closer to me. It was slow, I wish I could run to close the gap faster. When she reached me she looked at me now like I was someone familiar to her but she couldn’t place me. It was clear Eric didn't tell her.

“Josh? What are you doing here?”

Here we go, moment of truth. Don’t fudge it up, “Can I-uh can I talk to you?”

She dragged that delicious tongue around her lips, “Why?”

Oh boy, abort, don’t beat it to a pulp. Just be subtle. Yeah, that’s my style alright. “I need to explain some things. Can you hear me out please?”

I still haven’t figured out why she was mad but I was going to get to the bottom to this. I promised myself that.

The crinkles on her forehead soften. Yes! “Can you give me second? I just need to change my clothes.”

I nodded vehemently, “Yeah, I’ll wait out here when you’re done.”

She turned on her heal and left to her room upstairs.

I smiled a little. This is good. She’s going to listen at least. I was so fucking determined to keep her this time. This is good chance to get everything out in the open. I knew if I want her in my life I was going to have to listen.

I sat down on the couch behind me and relaxed for a moment. I needed to collect what I was about to say. All I could think about was if she didn’t love me, would she have given me a chance?

I smiled at the truth. I knew, my heart warmed at the thought. I heard footsteps down the stairs and nearly jumped up from where I was. I got up, shaking off the access nerves of seeing her in anything. She dresses so casually but it’s the fact that she’s not trying to make me hard, makes me harder.

I look up and she already was so close. She stood 3 inches away and all I could think about was touching her. I couldn’t restrain myself for long. But she fighting it too?

“What did you want to talk about?” She raised her eyebrow.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc