Mariah’s POV

Josh sprung up in bed and nearly screamed loud enough to break the windows. I was wondering if the same thing was going on with him. That was a blood curdling shout. It stilled me and all I could do was stare at him. His breath was out of control. Like jumping all over the place. He wouldn't look at me and kept his hands over his face. I touched his shoulder for a reaction and he gasped, looking at me like we were strangers.

"Josh? What is it? What did you see?"

He gestured wildly, "It was like I couldn't do anything. I knew it was coming and I couldn't stop it. You said things, you said that we cheated death."

"I did? How did we cheat death?"

He ran his hand through his hair, composing himself, "I don't get it. I saw him there. It was like telling me what was going to happen. But than it was over just when I figured it out. It all happened so fast, like a horror movie. The strangest things."

I came closer and placed my arms around him a little tighter than I intended. "Why are we having these nightmares? Does this mean they're going to come true eventually?"

He held onto my arms back, "I don't know. Just that phone call, now this. Someone is telling us something. I think we should get outta here. I don't know where but I'd feel better once I knew things were going to be OK. Its so tough to say now."

I spoke from my heart, "Anywhere but here. I don't wanna think about this, its already hurting us that we're waiting to do something. When are we going?"

He removed my hold and took my hands together, "I don't want to scare you..."

"Why would you scare me? I trust you.”

He sighed, rubbing his face of the tired that seeped through. He was hiding something and I haven't clue what it was exactly.

"First thing in the early morning. I have to drop everything. Change my life around. But it doesn't matter, I'm ready for the change. Just everything is moving so fast. All that matters is not waiting around. We have to just go, its the only way."

I was still confused, "I only wish that we knew where, it'd be a lot easier. Its nearly morning and I know I won't be able to sleep. There's too much at stake."

"Come here..." He motioned for me.

He laid down and brought me with him and covered both our bodies. His warm chest cradled me in a soothing way but my head was throbbing from all the list of problems. Our breathing took over the issues that I desperately wanted to bring up. There was so much I wanted to say and I had no way of coming out with it.

Josh was killed and I was stabbed accidentally with the same weapon. Than I realized what it is. Just a warning. My life could end, it will end. But judging from this, I won't know what's in store. When the moment will come. I didn't let go of his hand, knowing if I had, I couldn't get through anything.

Sometimes I think I'm wasting my time with all this. I was in earshot of pretty much everything. I think I'm going to be caught right now. Like someone could break in and make my nightmares a reality. The thought terrified me as I grabbed him so hard that his body was smashed against mine.

"This is not life, Josh. I can't risk you."

"Its already too late for that. I can't stop how I feel.”

"I know but I don't know if I want you to go so far. For your sake. It's my fault for all this and you don't have to suffer with me."

"I too sucked into this. I can't leave you alone now. Especially with all this visions. Feels like I'm in Die Hard  or something."

"I hated that movie."

"As a guy I'm supposed to like it."

"Good to know. Now that the levity is brought up, what are we going to do? What if someone tries to stop us?"

"I honestly don't know. Let's try and sleep, its almost morning."

The silence replaced our voices once again, I lay there just really out of it. My eyes were open, wide open and things were raw and unanswered. Laying out there bleeding in the moonlight, alone and cold.

What would you do if you've had such dreams? I knew I wasn't strong enough to face them but relying on Josh was my last resort. And now he doesn't know. But what was I thinking? I could endanger both our lives by being stupid. Making one stupid mistake. But it isn't fair. I wanted to grow up. I wanted my own views, values. The cage they put me in is starting to brake. It was a matter of time.

But now, I'm running out of time. I couldn't sleep like this. Someone is going to kill us. I feel it. Someone will come after us.

Should I go back? We'll always be running I know now. Plans are made on the whim and I'd constantly have to look behind me. That wasn't what I wanted for either of us.

But I'm ignoring my heart. Ignoring what matters most. Again, I was trying to hide myself from the world because I was afraid. When you're afraid, sometimes you have no choice.

I wish it could be easy for me to admit that I'm an adult and that should be enough to stand up for myself. Doesn't work like that. When you've controlled like a puppet all your life, it becomes a piece of you. I couldn't for the life me, fight them. I had nothing. No gut, no chance of winning this one.

I had to do something. Think of something that could prevent the worst from happening. Fuck, I was so frustrated. I couldn't just lay here and wait.

I thought about calling them. Maybe if I'm lucky, they'll send me to another country, away from this weirdness. Could I just walk to the phone, and end it all? It was so easy to just to that. But to ignore this, keep this at bay, I don't know. How much longer? Its get worse the more I wait for him to answer. Its not like I wasn't trying myself. But without some plan, we're dead anyway. I was stuck again. There was something in the road that I couldn't see. I was blinded by nothing but hanging onto something.

I lay still, but that was it. I couldn't do it. I couldn't leave him just like that. It wasn't my place.

I kissed his jaw and closed my eyes, starting over again.



Josh's POV

I was the first one awake but I wanted her to sleep a little more. She was moving around for the last 3 hours and I decided that she needed some time alone.

I really was in a pit with no way out. I really am feuding with myself to just do the right thing, but drop my life? Everything that I worked hard for. All that work just for love. For her. I know I sound like an ass but that's probably because I was hating myself. If you ask me right now if I trusted her I would say, yes but I'm really saying maybe. There's so much I don't know. That family freaks me out and maybe I'm getting way too into this. Is it too late to change my mind?

But why did I want to? When you trust someone, it should be obvious what to do, right? I didn't want to open another Jack just to brake it again. I had to think about her. But every time I do, my mind just gets mixed up and I wanna smash something. You have no idea how hard it was for me to restrain myself from doing damage. Just to scream my frustration would be enough.

"I wish there was something I can do. This is eating me alive. How will I know if this is really the right decision?"

Thank god for the ring. I picked it up on the first ring, placing it softly against my ear, "Hello?"

"Joshua, Honey? Oh, Thank god. Do you know where she is?"

Shit, running outta time. She is my mother, but I have to lie, "She's here mom. She's with me."

There was silence, "What do you mean? She's there? Is she alright? Her parents where out looking everywhere, so were your father and I."

I groaned, this was gonna be a long day, "We went somewhere and she got tired. It was already too late to go anywhere."

"Oh honey, thank the lord. You know her mother, I've never seen her react that way when Jake told her. She was so angry she wanted to press charges."

"Excuse me? Press charges? Against whom?"

"Don't worry, I knew where she was and I told Darla that but I haven't seen that look on any mother. It was scary honey. We wanted to find her. Actually, we called you a couple times. Why didn't you answer us?"

Uhoh, I hated when she used that voice, "I didn't kidnap her mom. She's asleep now. That's all. She's not hurt. Nothing happened last night."

Except the night terror murders. "Honey, is something else going on? Because Jake also told us--"

"Why did Jake tell you now?" My voice was on the edge.

"Josh, I don't believe him but he's been saying that you drive that poor girl to be more depressed. And you're forcing her to do things against her will. Now I know this is not true but her parents are believing it."

Oh no, "Mom, you believe me right? Jake doesn't know anything. Mariah's sleeping now, nothing else is going on. I didn't force her to do anything. She can handle herself fine actually."

My mother laughed, "That's what Peter told me. But honey, they tell me she's, well, you know I think she's a nice girl, but don't get too close. Her mother mentioned what happened the first time she tried to harm herself."

"What happened to her?" I really wanted to know.

"Its not really my place but Darla told me about the times when they saw her cutting at her wrists. Oo, honey, as I'm saying it I'm getting a little teary. It was hard for me to listen to but I wanted to help her. They put her in a home for 4 months after they found her unconscious in the bathroom. It was terrible. She's been through so much. Her mother was just crying her eyes out when she told me. Honey, I know I'm not the person to tell you about who to trust but be careful."

Funny how she's reading my thoughts. But she's right as always, there's so much left out.

"OK mom. Where's Tyler?" I wanted to change topics fast.

"Oh, he came back today. He's swimming for the summer but he's here for the break and goes back in a week. He misses you."

"I'm missing everyone over there. But I have some things to get done first. I promised to see you guys soon. I'm not quite settled here yet."

"Are you sure that's it, baby?"

Sometimes mom's are too smart for their own good. "I'll come over soon mom. Don't worry."

"Alright, bye Josh."

I clicked at the same time she did. I was getting serious sick of looking out for myself. I looked around my place, just tired of all this. Tired of being so nice to people. Exhausted of the same faces and phony expressions that are passed my way.

The knock at the door was the last thing I could tolerate. Oh no. I had a strong sense of not moving. But I had a doorbell and a sleeping girl. I couldn't risk it.

After I put the coffee mug down and braced myself for the next shock of my life. I hated this. Just like pulling off a Band-Aid I opened the door quick.

"Josh, I need to tell you something."

Some things just get better and better.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc