“Justin, baby I was thinking we could go out to a movie tonight. What do you think?”

 

Veronica has been stuck to me like white on rice since we got back together. It’s not that I don’t want to be around her it’s just that she seems to be extra clingy. Besides that it seems like ever since that night at the hospital Trace has been extra pissed at me. Granted I didn’t tell him about Veronica and me getting back together. Still he shouldn’t be pissed about it. I think this is more about Anais than about Roni, but I really don’t want to talk about that.

 

“Yea baby whatever you want to do is good with me.” I say

 

“Justin what’s the matter? You seem so lost lately.” Veronica inquires.

 

“I don’t know I guess I’m just a little tired. You know with all the catch up work I have had to do.”

 

“Oh well maybe we should make it a stay at home movie night. How about I go fix us some dinner and we can curl up and watch some DVD’s?”

 

“Sure that sounds like a good idea.”

 

I watch as Veronica stands up and heads toward the kitchen. You know what’s really eerie? Even with Veronica being in this house it still seems really lonely. I mean with Trace always at Misty’s house and Anais and I not talking I feel so alone. Yea I know I am a dumb ass for saying what I said to Anais, but it’s the truth. The only reason she said those three words to me was because she thought something horrible had happened. I mean seriously if she felt that way she would have said something sooner right?

Still I shouldn’t have gotten back with Veronica. I feel like I am trying to force my self to care for her more than I really do. I try to shift my mind into thinking about other things. Like this upcoming trial. Yes Devon was arrested after he was released from the hospital and interestingly enough I found out from Trace that all of his shit hit the fan. His family found out about the whole incident with Anais and how this whole shit even started. The courts have ordered him to stay away from Anais as well as my self. So I guess that is some good news.

 

My cell phone breaks me out of my thoughts. “Hello?”

 

“Yo J we need to talk like now!” I hear Trace say.

 

“What’s wrong?” I asked getting a little worried.

 

“We just need to talk. Alone just the two of us.” He says

 

I sigh “Alright man where do you want to meet?”

 

“At Chi in an hour. I mean it J alone!” Trace emphasizes.

 

After I hang up the phone I sit there a little frustrated. Trace and Misty have barley talked to me over the past couple of weeks. So the fact that Trace wants to see me all of a sudden and really needs to talk is just interesting. I work up the energy to go talk to Veronica.

 

I walk into the kitchen. “Baby I’m sorry but I’m going to have to put our blockbuster night on hold.”

 

She looks up from the cookbook she is reading. “Why what’s going on?”

 

“Trace needs to talk to me about something and he needs to talk now.” I say.

 

“Well do you know how long you’re gonna be?”

 

“I’m not sure. As soon as I know something I will call you. OK?”

 

I can tell she is disappointed. “Sure.”

 

I grab my keys and head to my truck just hoping that things get better.

  ******************************************************** 

Man it feels so good to be home. Today has been too long. I look through my mail mostly bills and then head over to the answering machine to check my calls. I push play to be met by the machine voice telling me I have 4 new messages. The 1st one is from my mom and dad, the next is from Trace checking up on me. The 3rd is Misty telling me to call when I get in, maybe we can hang out and the last one is just a wrong number I guess cuz the person just hung up the phone. I grab the phone while heading to my room to change clothes. I quickly dial Misty’s number. The phone rings a good 3 times before she answers.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hey baby what’s up?” I say laughing a little.

 

“Nothing much. Just thought you might be up for some company tonight.” She states

 

“What! No Trace by your side tonight.” I say trying to play surprised.

 

“Cute and no, we do have lives outside of each other.”

 

I could just picture here rolling her eyes at me. I sit on the bed and start to take my shoes off. “So what do you wanna do?” I ask her cradling the phone between my shoulder and ear.

 

“I’m not in the mood to go out. Maybe we could just chill at your place. Unless you really wanted to go out.”

 

“Nah I’m good with staying in. I’m so tired anyway. Let’s just order in and watch a movie or something.” I suggest.

 

“Ok cool. Well I’ll be over in about an hour.” Misty says just before we hang up the phone. I decide to jump in the shower before she comes and get more relaxed. Just as I’m about to head into the bathroom my phone rings.

 

“Hello?”

 

There is silence on the other end of the line so I say hello again. At the point of irritation I am about to hang up the phone when I hear a voice that is just barely above a whisper call my name.

 

“Anais?” The feminine voice says again.

 

“Who is this?” I ask ready to scream through the phone.

 

“This is Mrs. Stewart, I just….. I wanted to check on you.”

 

I feel this really uncomfortable feeling rise in my stomach. Why is she calling me? I’m guessing Devon told her about the baby. I take breath before I say anything. “I’m fine, A little tired from work.”

 

“That wasn’t what I meant by are you ok. Devon told me what happened.”

“Oh” Was all I could say.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me what he did to you?”

 

That question really caught me off guard. I wasn’t exactly sure what I should say to that.

 

“What do you mean?” I ask because honestly I wasn’t sure what she was talking about.

 

“The day I saw you in your job’s parking lot, why didn’t you tell me then that Devon hit you and that was the reason you didn’t want to be with him?” She asked sounding very hurt.

 

I was left speechless for a moment. I mean how do you answer a question like that? There isn’t really much you can say to that. I some how manage to find my voice. “Devon actually told you what he did?” I asked very surprised that he would.

 

“No actually when everything happened with your friend Justin I went to the hospital and I saw your other friend Trace and he told me what had happened. When I finally did confront Devon about it he broke down and told me what had happened.”

 

Once again all I could get out was oh. How can you have a conversation like this with the guy’s mother. I mean having the conversation with my parents was a totally different thing. I’ve been strong enough to go through the worst so this task shouldn’t be all that difficult. I just need to tell her what’s in my head.

 

I take a deep breath. “I didn’t really feel it was my place to say anything to you. I felt like your son should have been man enough to tell you the real reason why I didn’t want to get back together. Further more I didn’t say anything about the baby because I didn’t know what I was going to do. I didn’t want anyone swaying my judgment.”

 

“I guess I can understand. I just wished that none of this would have happened. I’m so sorry Anais.”

 

“It’s fine. You shouldn’t be apologizing for your son’s wrong doing. Listen Mrs. Stewart I really need to get going.”

 

We said our goodbyes and then I headed for the shower. I’m so glad I’m staying in tonight.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story