I walked into Chi about 45 minutes later. I spotted Trace at the bar nursing a Corona and I headed over to him. 

“What’s up man?” I say sitting next to him.

 

He looks up at me and then motions for the bartender to get me a beer. Sometimes I wonder if it’s my restaurant or his.

                                                                                

“What was so important that I needed to rush right down here and talk to you? Alone at that.” I asked taking a sip of my beer.

 

“What the fuck is going on with you man? I mean you haven’t talked to Anais since that night at the hospital. Why?”


”Dude you called me out here for this?” I ask almost feeling pissed that he wanted to talk about something so trivial with me. “Look Trace I am not about to get into this with you. Besides it’s not like she called me either!” I defend.

 

“Yea J cuz you’re gonna call somebody that walked out on you after you confessed your feelings.” Trace snapped back

 

I roll my eyes at him and take another swig of my beer. “Whatever man. If you ask me I think it was really interesting she decided to tell me that after I got hurt. Besides she basically did the same thing to me in St. Thomas.”

 

Trace looks at me as if I am stupid or something. “Fuck Justin she didn’t walk out on you. You guys were interrupted by a fucking stalker. She was more worried about people following us. I would have a hard time telling somebody that I loved them too.”

 

“It’s always like you to take her side you know that? Even when we were kids you use to take her side!” I exclaimed.

 

“I don’t always take her side. Nine times outta ten yeah I do and that’s cuz she is right. Just like she is now.”

 

“How the fuck is she right for lying to me. She only said that shit cuz I got shot.” I say as I feel anger boiling inside of me.

 

“You are such a blind fuck. I can’t believe you got back with Veronica like that. I wouldn’t call your ass either if you did that shit to me twice!”

 

I get ready to open my mouth and say something but the statement Trace just made really registers in my head. “What the fuck do you mean twice.” I ask

 

I watch as Trace shakes his head and begins to get up and walk away. “You are so blind, you know that?” He asks me.

 

“Dude what the hell are you talking about?”

 

“Anais has been in love with you for the longest time. Even before Veronica came in the picture. Just like you were afraid to say anything to her for fear it would ruin you guys friendship it was the same fear she had. I was so proud of you when you finally got the balls to say something to her about it. I didn’t think you would give up on it so easily though just because you didn’t get the response you wanted when you wanted it. Justin she had a lot of shit going on in her life and you knew that just like Misty and I did. For you to doubt her that hurt her just as bad as you walking out on her and now not calling her. That’s just wrong.” 

 

Trace gets up and walks away from the bar. I sit there for a moment absorbing everything he has just said to me. It suddenly occurs to me that I am such an asshole and I don’t deserve to be with her nor do I deserve her love. I leave a few dollars at the bar to pay for the beers and leave a tip and then I walk out to my car. What the fuck am I gonna do?!

 **********************************************************

Misty arrived at my house just as I had finished getting dressed. I was glad to because I needed someone to talk to. “Hey.” I said as I opened the door.

 

“Hey you. Are you ok?” She asked voice full of concern.

 

“I’m just tired and I had a really interesting conversation just before I got in the shower.”

 

“With who?” She asks while sitting the bag she brought in with her on the kitchen table.

 

“Devon’s mother.” I say “Did you know that Trace told her everything?” I asked.

 

“No I didn’t even know they had talked to each other.” She says slightly baffled”

 

“I mean he told her everything Mist. I was surprised by the phone call. I just I felt like I was at a loss for words.” I say peering into the bag. “What did you get?”

 

“I brought us some Mexican food. Thought it would be good just in case we started talking about something heavy and you needed to drown your sorrows in liquor.” She laughed.

 

“Oh yea I get the feeling there is gonna be a whole lot of drinking.” I say pulling down 2 glasses.

Chapter End Notes:

I



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story