Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Author's Chapter Notes:

“ ... Besides, earth is dangerous, even for creatures of our kind ... ”

If one were to be watching him, one may think the young man was a young Father who was simply watching over his newborn. The male wasn’t tall but he wasn’t short either. He seemed thin, but not sickly so, all and all, he was what some may mistakenly label him, average. He was far from such an idea however, his face held a soft beauty, his smile was warm and his blue eyes were as pure as any clear day under the heavens. More so, his aura was so clam, so loving, he looked on over all the newborn children as small miracles, as we know they are of course.

Licking his lips he sighed deeply before placing his hand on the glass as if he would love nothing more then to be able to on the other side, holding and caring for the babies as the nurses were but sadly for him, it was their propose, not his.

No, he was not here because he was a Father, nor because he knew someone who was. His need for being at the hospital that night was for a child yes, but not one that would live. Soon enough he looked to the next room. There was no large window but a small one placed in the center of the brown wooden door. Cocking his head to the side just inside he saw a young woman who seemed to be watching over something, or someone. As he waited a few more moments, a doctor made his way into room and the dark haired male followed.

Without a word he stood next to the Mother and touched her shoulder, though this went unnoticed, he was unable to help one who worried or suffered. He only helped though those that were leaving, not those who were staying but he still felt for her nonetheless. She was alone; the baby’s Father had been, unavailable to say the least and now she dealt with this alone. Not for long though he knew, she would hurt, but her own angel would watch over her, as Joshua would her son.

It was in that moment that Joshua’s eyes shifted from the Mother and doctor as they spoke to one another and landed on the small incubator. Moving away from the adults, the man’s eyes were locked on the little boy, he was only a few hours old and already the Father had called him home. It would be hard for those on earth to understand but baby Mathew was not meant to remain, he would grow in heaven and he watch over all those that still had their journey to travel.

A sad smile found his lips as he looked back at Mathew’s Mother, sighing a second time he reached though the protective plastic and seemed to bring back the baby into his arms. It was Mathew’s soul that he held though, not his body. His soul free of tubes and machines, the child moved some in his arms and Joshua’s smile lightened as the baby opened his eyes for the first time. Turning away from the scene that was unfolding in the room the angel slipped into the hallway once again and was gone.

~

The following morning Joshua still thought about the baby that he had left with the caretakers but more then that he thought of his Mother. He never in his existence suffered a lose, he was not human, he had no family that would grow sick, die or leave him. Instead, he watched, he carried the souls of the departed children from life, into death. This sometimes saddened him, he understood it was his was purpose and he did not hate himself for doing what he was meant to do, he was an angel, he didn’t understand hate and he was luckily enough that he also did not understand guilt. Heaven offered a certain amount of protection to the servants of God and Joshua was as white and pure as his wings were.

Angels were timeless; they were not subjected to the time of earth, Joshua, as a few of the others had been in the presences of their Lord for centuries. His earliest memory was of the Great Northern War, making him, in humans years, a few years shy of three hundred. He was in no means an elder, nor was he a child, he was simply, in the middle.

He enjoyed sunrises, he believed them to be the Father’s greatest achievements, and such an event was after all the beginning of life itself. Licking his lips he sat on top of any unknown cliff and looked out over the open ocean and sky, how he loved it here. He loved the waves, though he could never feel them, he loved to hear them, it was nearly as wonderful as the music of his home.

After awhile longer he had the feeling he as no longer alone and his blue eyes opened once again, though in truth, he had been so lost in thought, he had barely realized he closed them. The sun was now high in the clear sky and he looked back to see that in fact, he was not alone. “Justin.” He greeted with a smile. “Something wrong?” He asked.

The other young male just shook his head no before moving a little closer. “I finished for the day.” He offered. “I heard that you were back recently to so I thought maybe …” He shrugged some and looked towards the sky as well. “If you want to be alone I understand.” He finished.

Justin was younger then Joshua, the other angel was what one, in the human world, may call a child. His birth, so to speak, had been merely decades ago, he had not meet even his fourth yet. For this reason many of the others did not bother with him. He was young, very curious and sometimes talkive. He had a question about nearly everything and in Joshua‘s mind, there was nothing wrong with a healthy mind. Though honestly, among the others Joshua was known as one of the more patient angels, he had to be after all, his reason for being was to care for scared children, a job that had not only taught him patient but succeed in drilling it into his head.

Joshua shook his head before speaking. “I enjoy the company.” He told the other as he watched him closely for a moment. He had the feeling that Justin was lying, by looking at his face, he could tell something was not right. “Something is wrong.” He offered in a matter of fact tone rather then a question. As the blond sat down just a foot or so away from his friend, he shrugged again before lowering his head a moment.

“Christopher and the others seem to grow so annoyed with me.” He confused in soft and sad tone. Frowning some, he sighed. “I understand I’m in their charge but …” He just shrugged before going on. “Most of them I feel I do more harm then good.”

Joshua still watched the other angel for a moment before speaking. “You’re young still.” He offered. “The others know this; I think because they have lived and served for so many years they forget that they were once young. They two use to ask questions and their curiosity sometimes overwhelmed them as your’s does to you. In time you’ll gain understanding and further more the right to be on your own.” As he added the last part of his statement a smile touched his features as Justin looked at him with a bit of shocked expression.

“I didn’t say anything about …” Only he didn’t bother to finish. “You know me well.” He acknowledged with a shake to his head. Justin was so very young, he wasn’t yet trusted to be on his own nor did he yet have humans in his care, someday soon he would though. It was true he may not yet know everything but he was well on his way, he had a heart that was pure and once he learned more patience he would serve well in his purpose.

“It is a hard task you’ve been given but an important one. There is much to know but each of us started somewhere.” Joshua said. The truth of the matter was that Christopher worried that Justin was not only one that didn’t think before acting but also one that did not yet understand the human soul. Even as an angel, he would be unable to save everyone. Yes, there was beauty in the world but unfortunately it only dimmed the evil, it did not block it out completely.

As it was Justin’s reason for being was just as important as Joshua’s only it was a near opposite. Justin would help those that stayed behind, a child who lost a Mother, Father, or anyone else close. His purpose needed much wisdom and patience, traits he was slowly but surly gaining. Each was a guardian of some sort, wither it be of animal, adult or child, each angel in heaven cared for someone on earth, they just had to learn how.

“Besides, earth is dangerous, even for creatures of our kind.” Licking his lips Joshua sighed some leaning back and looking up into the sky. “You don’t yet understand that.”

“Yes I do.” Justin snapped his expression giving the impression he was insulted. Joshua raised an eyebrow at the younger’s tone and Justin looked away again. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean …” But Joshua shook his head indicating he’d rather Justin just remain quiet, his point had been made in that a moment by Justin himself. He knew enough that he was wrong and that showed he was in fact, getting somewhere.

Chapter End Notes:
More to come.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story