Complicated Melody

Chapter 3

I wanted to throttle Justin ever since last night, and the fact that our Apartment hunting had actually turned out to be Mansion viewing was not helping at all to subside the feeling. I felt like I was taking part in a series of tours that I usually only caught glimpses of on the Fabulous Life of the Rich and Famous. I was not fabulous, could never see my account considering itself rich...but I guess in some unwanted and annoying way I was now famous. At least of the campus of University of Memphis. I’m sure the rest of the world would be at hand to scrutinize me in the very near future, but I couldn’t say that I wasn’t having at least a small ounce of fun. Of course, that definitely wasn’t the case right now.

" You do realize none of these listings are student rentals." It was 11 a.m. and our fourth mansion. I wasn’t even sure if we were still in the city of Memphis. How in the hell did he expect to get to class from here. Newsflash...normal college kids don’t shop in the area of mansions, more like run down renovated buildings.

" What’s wrong with this one?" Justin asked casually, admiring the marble stoned fireplace in the sitting room of the master suite they had just stepped out of. I looked at my surroundings and then squarely at the man who had brought me to them. He looked normal, at least as normal as he could ever get. He had on a simple tee, some jeans and even a worn-looking hat. It quite tickled me that this was the new fab of the stars now a days, to look like hobo- thrift-store-shopping assess. I used to wonder if it was one of their attempts to identify with the working class, but I must say Justin didn’t look as vintage as say the Olsen twins.

" Nothing is wrong with this 5 bedroom, 3 fireplace, marble foyer mansion." I shrugged, hoping my sarcasm wasn’t lost to the plush walls. I could tell by his smile that it wasn’t, and was pleased that he had finally seemed to come out of his stupor. He walked over too me, crossing one arm over his chest and with his other hand began rubbing the cute little stubbles on his chin. Did I say cute?

" Okay...I see your point." his eyes were bright with joy, and I wondered had he always looked this happy, because he certainly seemed to be of amiable spirits since she has met him. " So what do you suggest?"

" I know it would be unlikely for you to stay in a dorm, and even more unlikely for you to stay in some of the slums they call student rentals." I sighed, scratching my own chin symbolically, as I thought about an actual option for this starlet. " What about a fancy apartment closer to downtown. That way you’d be close to campus and wouldn’t have to commute 3 hours every day." That sounded reasonable, pat on the back for me and my fantastic idea.

" Or I could always stay overnight in your room." If I would have mistaken the twinkle in his eye for anything else but humor, I was sure to find myself joining the masses and falling desperately in love with Justin Timberlake. Only, I had my mind.

" There isn’t enough floor space, and I would be afraid you’d be violated before even reaching my door." We both laughed at that and I was glad that we had these few moments of privacy to chum it up even if the carpet we now stood on was worth more than my life. I was sure the body guards were downstairs getting restless. Hell, I was getting restless.

" That makes sense, then you’d be able to come and hang out with me whenever you want."

" Oh I have a choice now." It was too easy to resist, but I made sure to wink before Justin claimed another heart break.

" Don’t be cruel." Justin purred, and I let him put his arm around my shoulders as we walked out of the room. It wasn’t long before I found myself asleep in the back seat of one of the 5 Excursions we’ve been traveling in. I had nestled into the nook of his shoulder and slept nearly the entire ride back to Memphis before I realized I had done so. I was so exhausted from having literally been forced to sleep in the uncomfortable quarters of the lounge, where Justin had arranged for Chuck the asshole to spend his nights. After realizing the sleep was a no in the cramped room I used to call home, since Amber and her suddenly new 8 best friends couldn’t stop asking me questions about Justin Timberlake and my business with him. I wasn’t even mad at Justin for all this sudden hysteria in my life, at least for now I wasn’t. I did miss my boring mundane existence, where I could enjoy the simple pleasure of taking a leisurely pee without someone staking out the front of my stall. So needless to say, I didn’t sleep very well and Chuck the asshole definitely had a snoring problem.

" What’s wrong?" the way Justin asked me that question had me feeling like the idea of all of this was so normal. I realized then that I must have lifted my head and looked half crazed and half embarrassed. It wasn’t every day that I fell asleep on the shoulders of someone like Justin Timberlake.

" I..I’m sorry." I began to yawn without any warning, and realized I was nowhere near ready to fully recover from my pleasant nap. I moved to lay my head on the back of the seat, but that wasn’t nearly as comfortable as Justin. So then I aimed for the window panel and door mantel, but my head kept vibrating with the steady bumpiness of the drive. I didn’t want to, but I sighed. Damn, there was just no getting comfortable.

" You done now." he was looking at me, which is what I was afraid of, and had found my whole little tactic amusing. My eyes met with his, and I felt the heat of ridiculousness creep into my cheeks.

" Do you mind." I didn’t want to ask. But it felt so comfortable and I was at a last resort. Me eyes pleaded with him to say yes, but I realized that they didn’t have to. He was looking at me with a sense of calm, as if my laying on his shoulder was the natural way of things. It eased my anxiety and I smiled appreciatively.

" I never did." he then opened his arm to me so that I know had full access to the expanse of his chest- which yes America felt just like it looks!. I snuggled into him, and moments later felt exhaustion reclaim me.

When I had woken up I realized I was placed into a laying position across the entire seat I once shared with Justin. I stretched and brought by head up to try and identify my whereabouts, but I was quickly punished for doing so when I came face to face with Chuck the asshole. He was sitting in the same place I remembered he sat before I fell asleep. Directly behind me, staring. I realized he was the only one left in the vehicle and was forced to ask him where everyone had gone.

" Justin went to sign some papers." Wasn’t he a book full of information, I thought wryly and turned back into my previous position. I was no longer sleepy so the next 28 minutes was spent in annoying confusion. Finally, the I heard several doors open and immediately recognized the scent of bar-b-cue pulled pork sandwiches, my favorite.

" Hey, hungry?" Justin smiled and climbed into his seat. I sat up, sure my knitted hat had twisted its way off my head. I was correct in assuming so by the way Justin fingered a tangled strand. I smacked his hand away and decided to avoid embarrassment completely, if I didn’t look in the mirror I would never know how bad it really looked. Content, I dipped my hand in the brown paper bag Justin offered me.

" Excuse me Diana Ross, but is there anyway you can clear up the view for the driver." I was about to splash my cup of coke in the smug face of Chuck the asshole but Justin grabbed my head and brought it to his chest. He then placed my hat on head, tucking all my loose strands into the hat and then released my to sit up.

" Thank me later." he laughed and kept eating his sandwich ignoring the angry scowl I gave him. I decided I was more hungry than aggravated and began devouring my sandwich. I was sure there was bar-b-cue sauce stained down the sides of my mouth when I was done, which only added to my appeal at the moment, but I didn’t care. I sat back, completely satisfied and couldn’t stifle a laugh when I noticed the amazed look Justin was giving me.

" Here. Take them all." he threw a stack of napkins at me playfully and shook his head in disgust.

" Now throw a comb." There was definitely music playing and the casual chatter of the other three body protectors riding with us, but Chuck the asshole made sure to be heard at lest by my ears. I turned around and glared evilly at the son of a bitch. I was beginning to think Justin dished off this asshole to me on purpose.

" And I’ll throw you a diet fat man." There were some body protectors that were big and bulky and some that were big and fat. Guess which of the two Chuck the asshole was.

" Ok settle down now run and stimpy." Justin took a moment to laugh at his own "witty" comment, and then stopped when he realized no one else shared in the humor.

" I found a place."

" Good." I had figured as much, after waking up and getting little to no information about what was going on. I looked around and noticed we were about 15 minutes from campus and parked in the front of several shops and what looked like a nicely renovated building. I knew they weren’t student rentals, and probably had occupants apart of the rich and glamorous scene in Memphis, but at least it wasn’t what we looked at before. I felt kind of stumped not to get a chance to see the inside of what was now going to be his apartment, but guessed that I’d be there soon and often, so sucked it up and moved on.

" it’s two bedroom."

" Great." Okay, I wasn’t a fan of home and garden, so I so didn’t need the details of his new apartment. He could stop while he was head.

" Only 15 minutes from campus."

" Really." Sarcasm dripped from my lips and I finally looked at him to pointedly ask him with my eyes, what in the hell was he getting at. He didn’t say anything at first, which unnerved me and intrigued me all at the same time. He looked visibly unsure of what he wanted to say, but then finally he opened his mouth.

" Live with me."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story