A piece of me felt like jumping out of the car as he drove. I mean, it’s one thing to insist on driving but it’s another to act recklessly while doing it with me within the vehicle.

 

“Slow down,” I commanded, putting my hand over his on the steering wheel.

 

“Sorry,” he muttered.

 

Why couldn’t we just left him? Or better yet, why the hell had I insisted on telling him the truth. Obviously it was the stupidest thing I could have done. Note to self, when Damien suggests something, try and take his advice. I swear I can hear him laughing now.

 

I decide to try and catch Justin’s attention to keep him from running us off the road, “So me and my dad, we’re close?”

 

He outwardly sighed, letting his shoulders slump, “Yep.”

 

“You know this isn’t easy for me. If you could give me more than one word answers things might go a whole hell of a lot smoother.”

 

Justin casually glanced over at me, “Okay, fine. You guys are close. He calls a lot except for the fact that he’s been on vacation for the past week and we see him constantly.”

 

“Really?” I ask, trying to get an image in my head of the last time I saw him but nothing becomes clear, just a really blurry image.

 

“Yeah, well you are his only kid.”

 

“That’s not always the way it goes.”

 

He caught the bitter tone in my voice and looks over at me, “What?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

“You two weren’t… aren’t close in reality?” he questioned.

 

“It’s kind of hard to be close when he’s dead.”

 

“I mean before he died.”

 

I shrug, “It was my fault.”

 

“What was you’re fault?”

 

“I left him,” I said, leaning my head back against the head rest.

 

“Left him? This guy you ran off with must have been pretty great.”

 

I roll my eyes, “I took off with my… what I thought was the love of my life at the time. He was tattooed and pierced and covered in leather with a motorcycle,” I smile a tired smile, “But my dad begged me to dump him, as you know. He lost mom and he couldn’t lose me.”

 

“So you rebelled.”

 

He said it as more of a statement rather than a question.

 

“I took off with him. By the time I can back, he was gone. I never got to say goodbye.”

 

Justin tapped his finger on the steering wheel, “It’s not your fault, you were a kid, kids rebel.”

 

I laugh, “Yeah, I rebelled down a self-destructive path. No college education, no job, no boyfriend and no way to pay the bills.”

 

Justin’s face fell from pissed to rather sympathetic, “I’m sorry for the way things turned out for you Ally.”

 

“Me too,” I murmured.

 

I watch as he turns off the road to a private one and pulling in the first driveway. The house was larger than I ever could have imagined.

 

Wow.

 

Justin grabbed my arm as I faltered slightly. There he was, in the flesh. Daddy.

________________________________________________________________________

 

The look on her face should have been captured for the world to see. A hallmark moment if ever I saw one. A mix of joy, exasperation and sheer love spread across her features. It’s hard to explain except to say that it’s a moment it time that literally freezes. One that every person on earth should experience.

 

She regained her composure enough to run the rest of the way to his arms, wrapping tightly around him as though if she were to let go he might disappear. But who knows, he just might have. I’m not sure of anything anymore.

 

He threw me a look of surprise when Ally didn’t let go, “Baby, I’ve only been gone a week honey.”

 

“It feels like a lot longer,” she cried.

 

He practically had to carry her inside and I slowly follow him up into the house and shut the door. 

 

Deb greets me with a hug, “Hey guys, so glad you could come.”

 

“We wouldn’t have missed your anniversary for the world.”

 

Ally loosens her grip just slightly to survey Deb. I could have told her that she was great, someone who loved Ally unconditionally and someone who never take the place of her mother. But I just wasn’t thinking about her, not one little bit. I just couldn’t help myself. I’m just struggling to keep my head above water.

 

She sits down next to her dad as more people stream in for the party. Ally stares longingly up at him and leans her head against his shoulder, just breathing in his scent. Balloons floated to the ceiling as the popping of champagne filled the room. I sit down in the corner and just watch.

________________________________________________________________________

 

I pick up the leftover cake plates and toss them in the garbage. Maybe seeing my dad for the first time in years at his anniversary party wasn’t the best idea in the world, seeing that I never got to actually have a real conversation with him. I did get to see him though, which is more than I thought I would ever get.

 

Deb said goodbye to the last person and came inside, “That was great,” she said, slipping onto the armchair next to dad. She seems nice, someone who would be good for him.

 

“Yeah,” Justin remarked, “it was great.”

 

Dad pokes me with his hand, leaning over, “And you missy are acting like a clingy two year old today. Since when doesn’t Justin give you enough affection?”

 

I looked over to him out of the corner of my eye but he was just plastering that fake smile on again, “I give her enough affection, don’t worry about it.”

 

Chills yes, affection, no.

 

He laughed, “Deb why don’t you go put the rest of the cake in the neighbor’s fridge. Thank god someone has enough sense to own a fridge that can fit this kind of stuff.”

 

Deb rolled her eyes, “We don’t have a fridge that size to keep you from becoming that size.”

 

Justin got up, “I’ll help you Deb.”

 

The both of them left and I contemplate where to start with my questions. He looks at me, “What’s really up Ally?”

 

“Nothing, I’m just hormonal I guess.”

 

“Are you and Justin okay?”

 

I laugh, “Just fine dad.”

 

“You guys seems a little off today. Normally he’s dragging you off into the kitchen to molest you while he thinks I’m unaware.”

 

I shrug, “We’re not in the mood.”

 

“Okay,” he says slowly.

 

“Did you miss me?” I ask quietly.

 

He frowns, “Of course I missed you baby. But it wasn’t like I was never going to see you again. It was just a week.”

 

“It just seemed longer.”

 

“You know, you’re mother used to say that,” he said.

 

“I don’t want to talk about mom.”

 

Dad shook his head, “You’re going to have to forgive her eventually Ally.”

 

“You can’t forgive someone who never apologized.”

 

“It was a long time ago Alana.”

 

“I really don’t want to talk about it right now,” I sigh.

 

He looks at me, “You would tell me if something was wrong wouldn’t you?”

 

I smile sadly, “Of course daddy. I’m just happy to see that you’re enjoying your life.”

 

Dad hands me a drink, “Maybe you need some alcohol to liven you up.”

 

I take it, “Thanks.”

 

Deb comes back in, “Hon, our dinner reservations are in a half hour. Ally, I could try and get them to get us a table for four if you and Justin wanted to join us.”

 

Justin stands in the doorway, “Thanks for the offer Deb but we’re going to get on the road.”

 

I reluctantly get up out of the chair, “Oh, okay.”

 

I grab my purse and say by goodbyes, hanging on dad before heading out the door with Justin, getting in the car. I wave from the car as we pull away. We weren’t five seconds down the road before Justin broke the silence, “So was that it?”

 

“Was what it?”

 

“You know, the reason why were here.”

 

I had totally forgotten, “Oh, I don’t know.”

 

“Maybe we’ll go to sleep tonight and everything will be back to normal,” he said with hope in his voice.

 

“Maybe.”

 

“Wouldn’t that be great?”

 

I just shrug, “Yeah.”

 

Suddenly, the sky cracks with thunder and I jump, “What the hell?”

 

“It’s not supposed to rain,” Justin said slowly.

 

The sky darkens quickly and the car stops. I look over at Justin, “What are you doing?”

 

He holds his hands up, stomping on the gas pedal, “It’s not me, it just stopped working.”

 

The a swirling cloud appears in front, swirling around before dropping suddenly to reveal a person. A woman, standing about five eight with black hair ripping around her face. Her skin in like porcelain, but hard like ice. A red, slinky dress stops at her feet with a rip up the side. And then there are her eyes. They are steel blue. Her eyes.

 

Justin takes off his seatbelt carefully, opening the car door, “What is that?”

 

Suddenly, Damien appears. But this time, he’s not looking at us.

 

“Sasha.”

 

“Damien,” she says, whipping the red garment up to reveal her hands, “it’s been awhile.”

 

“Not long enough.”

 

She smirks, but the anger never leaves her face, “What exactly are you trying to do here?”

 

“Only my job.”

 

“I don’t remember the job including him,” she says, pointing at Justin.

 

“Things change.”

 

“My boss doesn’t like it.”

 

“Well that’s why your boss is in hell. He doesn’t like anything.”

 

Her lips tighten together, “I’ll be sure to tell him.”

 

“You do that,” Damien says, moving to the head of car and blocking us.

 

“I thought it was just a glimpse. I wouldn’t want to have to intervene in your work,” she said, leaning over to the side in order to see us. She flashes a brilliant smile to reveal a vampire like teeth.

 

“That won’t be necessary Sasha.”

 

“I’ll decide what is necessary.”

 

Justin just stares at her, part in fear and part in sheet awe of her. I cower under her glare directed my way as she turns back to Damien, “Just know if we think you’re screwing with us, we’ll have to end this.”

 

“He’s just here for a glimpse Sasha, you know how it works.”

 

“Just see to it that it doesn’t get to comfortable. I know you like to play around with the lives of people. Ones that shouldn’t be tampered with, ones that didn’t need a glimpse,” she says, looking directly at Justin.

 

He backs up, startled. Damien takes a step closer, “I thought you weren’t supposed to prey on my work.”

 

“We too can bend the rules.”

 

He shakes his head, “Do you remember when you were an angel Sasha?”

 

She just laughs, “I try not to.”

 

“Bitterness doesn’t become you.”

 

“I’m not bitter, I’m better.”

 

Damien rolls his eyes, “I think you had better be going. The ruining of souls can’t run without you.”

 

“If only you would get out of our way, you would see the satisfaction with each one,” she says, whipping around quickly. The cloud whips around her again before falling like before. And as quickly as she was there, she disappears.

 

Damien relaxes and turns around, “Are you two alright?”

 

“Fine,” I stammer.

 

“What was that?” Justin sputters.

 

“A fallen angel.”

 

“She’s beautiful,” he mutters.

 

“You should see her when she gets mad,” Damien says.

 

“So why is she here?”

 

Damien smiles at me, “Nothing, she just doesn’t like to see people happy.

 

“Great quality to have,” I said, wringing my hands to keep them from shaking.

 

Justin is still staring in the direction she disappeared in. Damien snaps his fingers in front of Justin’s face and suddenly not only is Justin’s attention back to us but we are no longer standing out on a road, but back at the house.

 

He shakes his head, “So are we done, is that what she needed to see. Is it over?”

 

Damien looks at Justin like he has two heads, “You’re not even close.”

 

“What else could she need to see?”

 

“She’ll figure it out,” he said, winking at me.

 

“Great, so we have a psycho coming after us and everybody’s just taking their sweet time.”

 

Damien cast him a dark look, “Sit down and shut up. I’ll take care of Sasha, you just focus on figuring everything out.”

 

I plop down next to a pissed off Justin. Great.

 

Damien disappears and we are left together. This is just getting better by the minute.  


Incomplete
Maggie is the author of 6 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 16 members. Members who liked Enraptured Dreams For The Disillusioned also liked 686 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story