Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the wonderful reviews. I'm still feeling this plot out so we'll see how it goes.

I have a guy yelling up the stairs telling me to hurry up and I really have no idea who he is except for the fact that his name is Justin. I go through several drawers before I find women’s clothing which I presume to be mine. I slip into a sweater and jeans before cautiously heading down the stairs. I peer around the corner and when I determine that no one is there I step out onto the hard wood floor.

 

My eyes scan the room as I let myself take a few more steps. There is a couch and a TV leading to a kitchen. It is quite possibly one of the biggest houses I’ve ever seen. I notice pictures of me, or what I suppose is of me on the wall posing with the guy.

 

“Damien get your ass out here now!” I hiss.

 

Suddenly the guy comes around the corner and smiles when he sees me, “Finally. I love you babe but you take way too long to get ready. I swear I’m going to drag you out of the bathroom next time.”

 

I swallow hard, “Sorry?”

 

He just shakes his head as he puts his wallet in his back pocket, “Alright lets get out of here. Do you have everything you need?”

 

I open and close my mouth a few times, “Where are we going?”

 

He frowns, “Funny Ally, real funny.”

 

I’m so confused it’s not even funny, “No really, I don’t remember.”

 

The man comes over to me and puts his hand on my forehead, “Are you feeling alright baby?”

 

I pull away, “Fine, I just don’t remember where we are going alright?”

 

He frowns, “We are going to the studio baby. You’re going to help me lay some tracks down. How could you forget?”

 

“I guess I’m just tired,” I say, hugging my arms to my body.

 

He reaches out for me and puts his arm around my shoulder, pulling me towards his body as he secures me against him, “What are you so on edge about today? I thought you were excited to be doing this again with me?”

 

This is not going to work, “I am Jason.” I lie.

 

He stops short, “What did you call me?”

 

My mind reels as I struggle to remember what the magazine said. I stare at him for a minute until my eyes catch a gold record on the wall that has the name Justin printed on it, “I said Justin.”

 

He frowns before putting his arm back on my shoulder, “I guess I didn’t hear you.”

 

“Yeah,” I respond, focusing more on his hand hanging too close to my breast. He leads me out the door and opens the car door for me as I climb in. He shuts the door and walks around to his side, getting in and starting the car up. He turns the radio on and hums along to song playing as I just sit exhausted from trying to put everything together.

 

“So what were you thinking about Lovestoned?”

 

I slowly look over at him, “Yeah.”

 

“What did you think about the chorus?”

 

Well at least I know it’s a song, “It was really good.”

 

“So if you had to add something to it, what would you do? I mean I wasn’t sure about the beat and I was thinking that maybe you could remix it and see what you could come up with.”

 

“I’d have to listen to it again,” I cover.

 

Justin reaches out and grabs my hand, “Didn’t you once tell me that my music was too good to ever forget?”

 

I force a giggle and remove my hand from his, “I just want to make sure I don’t miss anything.”

 

Justin shifts gears, “I’m just playing with you, I know you have a busy week ahead of you.”

 

I just try to smile as he parks the car and we get out. I follow him into the building and into a room with a lot of controls and a pane of glass leading to the room with the recording equipment. I sit down in the empty chair as Justin puts his things down, “I’m going to go call Trace and see where he is. I’ll be back in a minute.”

 

“Okay.”

 

I wait until he’s out the door before standing up, “Damien a little help please!” I yell, tapping my foot.

 

“What is it?”

 

I spin around to see Damien sitting behind me, “Why can’t you ever appear in front of me instead of trying to scare the crap out of me from behind?”

 

He shrugs, “It’s more entertaining for me. After all, you don’t believe in angels so for all you know, I’m a figure of your imagination which means you control where I appear from you subconscious.”

 

“Are you an angel?”

 

Damien smiles, “Of course.”

 

“Then try not to cause me to die and early death.”

 

He rolls his eyes, “You rang?”

 

“Uh yeah I rang, I have no idea what’s going on. I could use a little help here.”

 

“What do you need to know?”

 

“How about what I’m supposed to do here. Justin keeps talking about me doing something, I’m going to assume he’s a singer.”

 

“You never got out much did you?”

 

I cross my arms over my chest, “I had other things on my mind.”

 

“Yes he’s a singer.”

 

“And I’m….”

 

“His producer.”

 

“I have no idea what that is.”

 

Damien picks up a cd and throws it my way. I try to catch it but I miss. The cd heads for the floor but suddenly before it can hit, stops short in the air and suddenly reverses, pausing at my hand. I stare at it for a minute before Damien interrupts my thoughts, “Don’t be afraid Alana. Go ahead and take it.”

 

I reach my hand out and gently take the cd. Damien gets up and points to my name displayed on the back of the cd, “You play with the vocals of the artist and rework it until it’s read for the consumer to listen to.”

 

“And he expects me to do that today? I have no idea how to work any of this,” I say, panicking a little.

“Relax Alana, that’s why I’m here. You’re not totally alone here.”

 

“Can you tell me what I’m really doing here? What I’m supposed to be accomplishing?”

 

“I said I was here to help, not give you the answers. What you get out of this is completely up to you.”

 

“Then can I have some sort of background as to my relationship with the guy?”

 

He grins again, “No.”

 

“You are really enjoying this aren’t you?”

 

“Does it show?”

 

“Does God know how you are treating me?”

 

“What do you care, you don’t believe in him either.”

 

I put my hands on my hips, “Then why don’t you just tell me what you can tell me.”

 

“You Alana Morrison are being given a chance to see what you could have had. You have to figure everything else out on your own. Some things I’ll be here to help you with but the rest of it depends on you.”

 

“Thanks, that was so clear,” I sigh.

 

“You’re welcome,” he says proudly.

 

“If I was to call you a pain in the ass would I go to hell?”

 

“Who are you talking to Allie?”

 

I turn around to see a guy standing in the doorway. Damien hops up out of the chair, “Oh and by the way, you are the only one who can see and hear me. To others, it jus looks like your talking to yourself. I wouldn’t do too much of that by the way, you don’t want to spend your time here committed.”

 

“You’re so funny.”

 

The man looks at me, “I didn’t say anything.”

 

Damien stands up and smacks the back of my head, winking at me. I narrow my eyes but focus on the guy who seems to know me, “Hey.”

 

“Hey yourself. Justin is just grabbing something to eat.”

 

I nod, “Alright.”

 

The guy pulls up a chair next to me as Justin comes in, “Trace did you call Gary and tell him we were recording today?”

 

He nods, “Yeah I let him know.”

 

Justin come up behind me and rubs my shoulders, sliding his hands under the collar of my shirt, “Okay baby, do your thing.”

 

I move away from him quickly, “Got it.”

 

He looks surprised but seems to shrug it off and he leaves the room and goes into the booth in front of us. Justin places the headphones on, “Ready when you are baby.”

 

I stand there like an idiot, trying to figure out what to do. I frown as I look at all the buttons not sure which to push as Trace stares at me. Suddenly Damien appears in front of me and a small gasp slips out of my mouth.

 

“You okay Ally?” Trace asks.

 

“Yeah,” I breathe, looking at Damien.

 

“I’m just doing what you requested,” he says, grabbing my hands and placing them on the controls. My hands begin to have a mind of their own as they hit buttons and I lose control of my mouth, “Go ahead.”

 

Justin nods and starts to sing into the microphone as somehow everything comes as a second nature. Damien leans against the controls, “Everything you learn you won’t forget. Should you two come in here and decide to record anything else, your body will know what to do.”

 

I want to ask questions but talking out loud to someone who isn’t there doesn’t look great. Damien just shakes his head, “I can read your thoughts too. The reason you’ll know is because that’s who you are in this reality. You are doing exactly what you already know.”

 

I frown and Damien puts his hand on my shoulder, “Don’t be frustrated, it’s just your first day. Just remember, you’re never alone.”

 

Damien disappears and I’m left with Trace again. Maybe after I get back home I’ll try and do some research if this guy is famous. I should be able to figure things out.

 

“So what are you going to do for this Sunday?”

 

Okay, now it would be helpful to know what the hell he’s talking about, “I haven’t decided yet.”

 

“Are you kidding?”

 

His tone tells me I haven’t given him the answer he wants, “Why?”

 

“Ally, you’re the one who normally has this stuff planned months in advanced. Justin has this big thing planned and you haven’t even thought about it?”

 

“It’s not that I haven’t thought about it, I just was trying to decide which idea to go with.”

 

Trace seems satisfied with the answer and I breathe a sigh of relief. Justin finishes singing his final song and put the headphones down, “Okay that’s it. What did you think Al?”

 

“Works for me.”

He nods, “Alright we can get going. Ally and I are going to meet you for dinner Trace, we are just going to grab some sleep beforehand.”

 

“Yeah how long did you guys spend on the plane yesterday.”

 

“Too long,” Justin says, coming in and picking his keys up. He holds his hand out to me and I take it hesitantly.

 

“Let’s go home,” he says. I have to admit that I’m already tired from this morning. We get back in the car and drive it back home, going back into the house. I go in to the house with him at my side. Justin yawns and pulls on my hand as he heads up the stairs. He stretches his arms up above his head, removing his clothing.

 

I stand back away from him as he strips down to his boxers and collapses on the bed. I just stare at him until he opens one eye, “What are you doing Ally?” he mumbles, obviously tired.

 

“I’m not that tired,” I lie.

 

“Baby we spent eleven hours on a plane and didn’t get home until three of which we had to be up at seven and you’re telling me you’re not tired? Nice try. Get your ass over here,” he says, patting the bed.

 

“Really, I’m okay.”

 

“You can still keep my company,” he says, wiggling his eyebrows at me.   

 

“I’m not really feeling well, I’m just going to go sit down.”

 

Justin picks his head up, “Do you want me to come sit with you? Maybe you picked something up over in England.”

 

“I’m fine,” I say, trying to reassure him, “I’m just going to have some tea. You go ahead and sleep.”

 

Before he can say anything else I make a run for the lower floor. I find the bathroom without much trouble and lock myself in it, holding my chest as my heart pounds in my chest. Why am I here?



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story