Chapter 4

I feel so stupid. Justin and Olivia are talking but I feel him looking at me and it’s starting to make me nervous. I’m mean, I’m nervous enough, does he have to add more pressure? I walk over to the radio and turn it on to try and sooth my nerves. John Legend’s Ordinary People had just started to play and his voice fills the air. I keep stealing glances at Justin and every time I do, I notice something new about him. How relaxed his features are, how his eyes sparkle when he laughs, how he licks his lips about every ten seconds or so. Oh my God, now I’m timing how long it takes him to lick his lips? I’m so pathetic.

About an hour later, I set the last of the plates on the table and join Olivia and Justin. She has ever-so-lovingly placed me next to Justin by removing all of the other chairs that surrounded the table. I shoot her a cold stare only to receive another one of her annoying smiles.

“Everything looks great, Ashlynn. You cooked your ass off.” Justin says looking at me and smiling.

“Um, thanks.” I say pulling at my pony tail.

“Ashlynn has always been a great cook. That’s really the only reason I keep coming over.” Olivia says and we all break out into laughter.

“Where are you guys from?” Justin asks after taking a sip of his water.

Olivia kicks me under the table and I jump slightly. I look at her and she mouths, ‘answer him’. She gives me another swift kick and on queue I start to speak, “Um, I was born in New York and I uh, moved out here when I was thirteen.”

“Cool. I was born and raised in Tennessee. This is the first time I’ve lived anywhere else but I love it here already. Maggie was right about Cali, once you get here, you never want to leave. Hmm, this is really good.” He says taking another bite.

I smile and try not to show my disappointment when he mentioned that other chick’s name. Maggie. I know that he’s not seeing anybody right now but I don’t want to hear him say another woman’s name. I’m being stupid, God I hate this. Olivia must sense my distress and tries to ease my rattled nerves.

“Now who’s Maggie?”

Justin swallows what he has in his mouth and starts to answer, “She’s an old friend of mine. We practically grew up together back in Tennessee.”

“Oh, well that’s nice.”

After a few minutes of awkward silence, I offer to take everybody’s but Justin tells me to stay put and that he’ll get everything. As he washes the dishes and Olivia continues to try and make conversation, I slip out onto my patio and take a seat on the steps. Just beyond my pool, the sun is setting and let me tell you, it’s gorgeous. The sky is full of pinks and blues and yellows and the clouds are glowing from the light that is radiating off of the sun. The wind tickles the leaves on the trees and the soft, warm breeze caresses my skin making me smile a bit. I put my elbow on my leg and rest my head in my palm and shut my eyes, just breathing in the scent of California.

“You have a nice view.”

His voice makes me come back into reality and jump slightly, “Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.” He says taking a seat next to me, his leg brushing up against mine as he does.

“Oh, that’s okay, I was just thinking.”

He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a penny, “Penny for your thoughts?”

I giggle just a little, “You don’t have to pay me. Um, I was just thinking about how much different my life would be if I hadn’t moved out here. I really love nights like this, you don’t get it much in New York.”

“I know what you mean. I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a beautiful sunset before. The sunrises are just the same.”

“Wow, I haven’t seen the sunrise in like ten years. You get up that early?”

A deep chuckle falls from his delicate mouth, “Yeah. I like to work out and stuff in the morning. You haven’t seen the sunrise in ten years? You need to get up girl.”

I laugh again, “I know. With my job, I really don’t have to go into the office unless I have to make a presentation so I don’t really get up until nine or ten.”

“I can see how that would be nice, just lying in bed. I wish I could do that but I’ve gotta move around. I can’t sit in one place for too long.”

Another silence falls on us but this time it isn’t so awkward. I can feel myself relaxing and now I don’t even know why I was so scared of him. We could have been doing this two weeks ago if I could’ve gotten over my insecurities. I turn to look in the glass doors to try and spot Olivia, but she’s long gone. That’s one thing about her, she always knows the perfect time to make her exit. I look over at Justin and then back out at the beautiful scenery before us. My gaze settles on the pool and an evil though begins to frolic around in my head. Since I have such a marvelous specimen of man sitting next to me, why not get him a little wet?

“Justin?”

“Yes?”

“Do you wanna… join me in a swim?” I ask biting my lip.

He silent for a moment and looks back at me, “Sure, I gotta run home and get my trunks though.”

“That’s alright. How about we meet back out here in like fifteen minutes, I’ll leave the front door open for you.” I say while standing and brushing the dirt off of the back of my skirt.

“Okay.” He gives me that lop-sided grin and we make our way back into the house but depart at the stairs and the front door.

I watch him jog across the street and disappear in his house before I run up my stairs, screaming all the way. Once I’m in my room, I pick up the phone and call Olivia, this is just too good to go unknown. She doesn’t pick up so I leave a brief message and then search through my endless bathing suits. First problem, should I wear a one piece or a bikini? Hmm, this is a tough one… bikini it is. Okay, what do ya’ll think? The black bikini with pink polka dots or the black one with the white flower prints? The polka dots? Good choice. I quickly change into it, grab a towel and rush back down the stairs with perfect timing. He’s sitting on the steps of the back porch with a towel thrown over his shoulder. God damn, this man is heaven! He has a huge tattoo of an angel on his back with what looks like the words of ‘guardian angel’. I squeal once more to myself and then regain my composure and walk outside.

“Long time no see.” I say putting my towel on the table and walking over to the radio to get some music flowing.

I flip to the oldies but goodies channel and the DJ’s voice gets carried through the breeze, “This next song is dedicated to all of the lovers across California. It’s called Let’s Stay Together by the reverend himself, Al Green.”

“Oh, I love this song.” I say more to myself.

I hear the water start to slosh around and turn around to see Justin coming up for air. He runs his over his face and his hair and I can feel that wetness starting to poke around down stairs again. He looks at me and smiles, “I love this song.”

I walk over to the steps leading into the pool and make my decent slowly, adjusting to the temperature of the water. I’m fully submerged now and Justin again looks over at me and smiles. I smile back and start to sway to the rhythmic mix and the music and the breeze. Out of nowhere, Justin begins to sing.

Since, since we've been together
Loving you forever
Is what I need
Let me be the one you come running to
I'll never be untrue

His voice is angelic. He hits every note with such expertise you’d think he was a professional. I join in on the next chorus and our voices blend together in perfect melody, just like I would like our bodies to be.

Let's, let's stay together
Lovin' you whether, whether
Times are good or bad, happy or sad
Whether times are good or bad, happy or sad

Unintentionally we began to move closer to each other, bridging the gap between our bodies as we continued to sing the lyrics. We are so close now, I can the heat of his breath on my face. I feel his fingers dance along my sides and my eyes close instantly upon our contact. His manly arms wrap themselves around my waist and we sway together in the water, forgetting all of our surroundings as the music continues to unite us.

Why, why some people break up
Then turn around and make up
I just can't see
You'd never do that to me (would you, baby)
Staying around you is all I see
(Here's what I want us to do)

I hug him closely to my body and he picks me up, wrapping my legs around his waist. My hands move into his hair and I press my cheek against his and smile dreamily as the song begins to end and fades into another.

Let's, we oughta stay together
Loving you whether, whether
Times are good or bad, happy or sad

[Next]



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story