As Justin drove home he sang along to the radio and was suprised to hear an old Aerosmith song on the local rock station.

"Pink! It's my new obsession! Pink! It's not even a question!" he belted out loudly as he thought about how very shortly there would probably be an excess of pink in his life with the new little girl running around in it. He pulled quickly into his driveway and beeped the horn and then waited for his mother to come out. When she did she was carrying, ironically, a pink teddy bear and her purse. Justin gave her a look and rolled his eyes as she climbed in and shut the door. He pulled a crumpled up peice of paper out of his pocket with the directions scrawlled on it and handed it to his mom.

"Read those to me as I drive." He turned down the radio as "American Girls" by the Counting Crows came through the speakers. "I hate that song," he explained, and after a few other turns he finally made a left turn onto a dead end street. The houses were nothing like the one he lived in but they were relatively in good shape. At the end of the road there was a large grey house with white shutters. Justin pulled into the driveway and with a heavy sigh turned off the engine and turned to his mom.

"You ready?" He asked.

"As I'll ever be." She gave him a reassuring smile and they bth got out of the car and walked up onto the porch. With a suddenly shaky hand Justin reached out and pushed the doorbell. They heard a dog bark inside, and the sound of little feet running towards the door. Inside a little girl's voice yelled out for permission to open the door and when the answer came back a 'yes' the door swung open and once again Justin was face to face with the child he'd come to accept as his.

"Hi Riley. Do you remember me?" Justin kneeled down to her level and looked her in the eyes. She nodded shyly, eyeing Lynn, and then stepped backwards and hid behind the legs of the older woman that had come up behind her.

"Well Mr. Timberlake. I'd heard a rumor that we might see you around here and I wasn't so sure but now that you're here in the flesh I guess it's true." The woman had grey curly hair and was wearing a deep blue blouse, with a long skirt and an apron that was covered in what looked like a mixture of flour and cookie dough. The same mixture was covering Riley's shorts, shirt, socks, and hands as well. "I am Ms. Thatcher, but you can call me Mary." She held out her hand for Justin to shake and he said 'hello' with a nervous smile and quickly introduced his mom.

"I just wanted to come see Riley and let my mom meet her. Is that okay?" He asked.

"Of course. Of course. Come on in. As you can see, we're baking cookies." She smiled and led them into the kitchen where Riley had long since retreated to and was letting the dog lick her fingertips.

"Riley Jayden Grant!" Mary reprimanded her, "Go wash your hands you have visitors, and don't let me catch you doing that again. Cookie dough isn't good for Scout."

"Sorry Ma'am." Riley replied in a soft voice and then ran from the room.

"I don't know if they told you, but Scout is her dog." Mary told Jusin and Lynn as she put on an oven mit and opened up the oven to take the cookies out.

"No... No they uh, didn't tell me that but... it's okay." Justin nodded and reached down to pat the old golden retriever on the head. It licked at his fingers and he rubbed them off on his pant leg and sat down at the table. His mother followed suit and pulled out a chair for herself just as Riley came running back into the room. Justin immediately stood back up and faced her.

"Hey Riley." Justin kneeled down and smiled when she came over to hug him.

"Hi." She said softly.

"I brought my mom with me to visit you today I wanted you to meet her is that okay?" Justin stood up, picking her up as he did so.

She nodded and he sat in the seat he had been sitting on, with her in his lap.

"I'm gonna let you alone, hollar if you need me." Mary waved at Justin and then left the kitchen.

The 2 hour visit went way to fast for Justin. It felt to him as though just when she warmed up to them it was already time for him to leave.

"I'm sorry Mr. Timberlake, but Riley has a dentist appointment that we couldn't get out of." Mary explained.

"Okay. That's... okay." he sighed. "Bye-bye Riley." Justin hugged her again and kissed the top of her head. She said goodbye to him and waved at Lynn after Justin put her down. Jusitn and Lynn said goodbye to Mary and then headed back to the car.

"Oh my God Justin." Lynn said after he had backed out of the driveway and was headed fown the road. "She looks so much like you it's scary."

"Yeah?" he asked with a half smile.

"Yeah baby, she's adorable." They were stopped at a stoplight and Lynn reached over and held his face still and kissed his cheek. "So when do you find out?"

"Hopefully some time tonight or tomorrow morning." He replied. He turned the radio up a little to sing along with the song on the radio as he headed home. He stopped at the gate and put in the code to unlock the doors and grabbed his mail on the way through. He pushed the button to open the garage and drove right into the open bay door. They headed inside and Justin's heart jumped when he saw the blinking light on his answering machine telling him he had 3 messeges. The first two were from a couple friends telling him they'd heard from one of the other guys about his daughter.

Then Sulley's voice came through the speakers. "Hello Justin I just wanted to tell you that we got the test results back and as we suspected you are the father of 3 year old Riley Jayden Grant. I am going to call Mary and let her know to expect you to come pick her up within the next few days but I need you to come back into the office and fill out some paperwork and go over some things with me. If you could give me a call back at 727-9656, we'll set up a time to meet. I'll be in the office until about 7pm tonight so if you can get back to me soon that would be great. Congratulation Mr. Timberlake, you are officially a parent." The message ended and Justin sat down on one of the bar stools and had to play it over again just to make himself believe it.

"Oh my God Mom, did you hear that?" Justin asked with a smile on his face.

"Yea dear. Well call him back it's only 5. Maybe you can go over there tonight and get this over and done with so you can go pick her up tomorrow."

"Uh yeah... yeah." Justin picked up the phone and quickly dialed the numbers. "Hello Sulley? Yeah it's Justin. I just got your messege and wondered if I could come over there tonight and get this paperwork done? No, yeah I understand. Okay I'll see you tomorrow morning then. Yup. 9am. Thanks. Bye." Justin hund up the phone and glanced at his mother. "He's meeting with another client at 5:30 so I can't go tonight but he said we can do everything quickly tomorrow morning and he'll go with me to pick up Riley. Hey? Did you get furniture and stuff for that room upstairs?" He asked, suddenly worried about the room upstairs that he intended to clear out for his daughter.

"Yes I did. The store said they would drop it off either tomorrow or the next day. You might have to have her stay in your room for a night." Lynn replied. "Well my dear. I think it's time for me to get going. You have some settling down to do and perhaps some planning for this little girl. I will see you tomorrow baby okay?" Justin nodded reluctantly and gave his mother a hug and a kiss. "I love you." she said.

"Love you too." he replied and leaned agaisnt the door as he watched her leave.

He shut the door and leaned back against it. With a heavy sigh and a deep breath he stepped away from the door unsteadily and headed into the kitchen. He opened up the fridge and pulled out a beer, popped off the top and took a nice long swig. Then he headed up the stairs to start clearing out the guest bedroom that would soon become Riley's. He walked into the room and saw a collection of toys and some clothes that his mom must have picked out on her excursion. He began by moving out some of the big furniture into his office. That took the better part of two hours and when he was finished he was left in a big empty room with peach colored carpet and plain white walls. He shook his head and puled his cell phone out of his pocket and checked the time. His eyes lit up and he dodged out of the room, ran down the stairs, out the door and drove off in his car in the direction of the nearest Home Depot. After a 20 minute purusal of the paint selection he opted for some light pink paint and also picked up a floral border and some other painting supplies. Then he headed back home.

He hooked a portable stereo up in the room and for the next four hours worked on painting the room and jamming out to some of his old cd's. Putting up the border proved to be a very difficult task but he finally managed to get it hung and he stepped back and folded his arms over his check to admire his hard work. "Who says celebrities are spoiled." he scoffed and turned on his heel and left the room.

By then it was nearing midnight. Justin shrugged off his paint stained clothes, stripped down to his boxers and crawled into his king sized bed. He lay on his back staring at the ceiling just thinking about the next day's activities for the next hour and a half before he finally fell asleep.


When the alarm rang at 7:30 the next morning Justin groaned and slammed his hand on the snooze button. The next eight minutes whipped by unusually fast but Justin got out of bed and went straight into the shower. He was in there for about 20 minutes and then got out and got dressed quickly. He jogged downstairs and inhaled a bowl of cereal and then headed off to the lawyers office.

"Well good morning Mr. Timberlake." Sulley greeted him when he walked into the office. "Let's get right down to business." He motioned to one of the chairs in front of the desk and he sat in his chair and immediatly pulled out a folder with a bunch of papers in it.

"This is the part of Ms. Grant's will that claims you as the sole surviving parent of Riley. I need you to initial this document just to prove you've seen it and then I also need you to sign and date this form that claims we discussed your options and that you concented to the paternitiy test and are going to assume responsibility for Riley." Justin nodded, but suddenly wondered if he should have asked his personal lawyer to have come with him.

"Now, are you going to want Riley's name changed to Timberlake?" Sulley looked up.

"Um. I didn't really think about it. I guess so." Justin finally nodded.

"Okay, then I need you to sign this form and that will make it official."

"It's that easy?"

"Sure is. Anyone can change their name. You could become 'Reginold R. Bakerman' or anything else really if you wanted to."

"Oh."

"Okay, last but not least I need you to initial everywhere you see this star symbol, and also sign at the end and this will officially give you sole legal and physical custody of Riley." Justin made the marks he was asked to, and then put down the pen.

"There you are Mr. Timberlake. She's yours." Sulley tucked the forms back into the folder and smiled. "Let's go pick her up. If you don't mind I'm going to drive my car so I will meet you there. Do you have a car seat?"

"Uh..." Justin thought for a moment. "Yeah my mom picked one up yesterday." He answered, realizing that she had thoughfully already hooked it up in his car.

"Great." Sulley lead the way out of the office and to the parking lot. "Just follow me." The two of them got into their respective cars and drove off towards the house.

They parked side by side in the driveway and got out of the car simultaneously. "Are you ready?" Sulley asked.

"As I'll ever be." Justin chuckled remembering what his mother had said yesterday.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story