The next two days flew by as both Justin and Riley adjusted and just got used to being around each other. Lynn avoided the house simply to give her son time to literally get used to being a single father on his own. She knew he wouldn't figure it out if she was there every step of the way.

However she did put an ad in the paper for the immediate hiring of a nanny to take care of Riley and travel with Justin on the road. He was still on a world wide tour after all. The ad ran for two days, and of course didn't say anything about Justin. There were only 5 girls who called in response to the ad and Lynn agreed to meet them all and help Justin find the right one that Friday. The timing was crutial because he had to be in New York on that Sunday for a show in Buffalo.

Friday rolled around way to soon and Lynn knew she had a long day ahead of her when the first girl walked into the house, and was completely star-struck because she'd figured out Lynn was Justin's mother. Lynn immediately turned her away and painstakingly got through the next three interviews as quickly as she could. They were down to the last interview and Lynn was getting very worried.

She'd already spoken to the girl on the phone though and out of all the girls who had called, she was by far the most qualified. Lynn looked at the clock, it was already 3:00 in the afternoon. The doorbell rang and Lynn sighed deeply hoping that this girl would be the one they were waiting for.

She opened the front door and saw a girl with dark brown curly hair and striking green eyes, staring at her with a smile. She was a relatively tall girl, thin, but not too skinny and she immediatly held out her hand.

"Lynn?" She asked.

"You must be Emma." Lynn smiled warmly, shook the hand that was offered to her and then stepped aside to let Emma inside.

"Emma Waldman, yes Ma'am I'm here to interview for the nanny job."

"Very good." Lynn nodded "It's very nice to meet you. We'll talk in the living room. Would you like a drink?" She asked as she led the younger girl into the living room.

"No but thank you." Emma shook her head and sat down next to Lynn on the couch.

"Now dear, we spoke on the phone and I have to let you know that you are by far the most qualified of the people who called and it seems that you have a lot of experience." Lynn paused. "You should know though, that I am holding these interviews for my son, he's a singer and needs someone to help him with his daughter."

"Oh. Is that why the ad said something about travelling?"

"Yes dear, he's actually in the middle of a tour now. Well, now he's home but he has to be in New York on Sunday, so we need someone as soon as possible. Is that a problem?"

"Not at all. I just graduated from UCLA and I have a lot of loans to pay off. Basically, I really need a job and I don't mind travelling at all, in fact I would love it."

"Oh very good. To tell you the truth I like you. I think you'll fit in nice around here." Lynn smiled and patted Emma's hand.

"Wait, are you offering me the job? I havn't even met your son, or the little girl yet." Emma smiled but looked hesitant.

"Your concern for that fact makes me like you even more. But you are absolutely right. Would you like to meet them now?"

"Sure."

"Just one thing... privacy is a big thing for us. I told you my son was famous, I know you don't know what I mean yet, but you will. Confidentiality is a big part of this job, can you keep private information private?"

"I'm not sure I really understand."

"You will dear. Come with me."

Emma was very confused, and even slightly worried but she was a headstrong girl and desperately needed a job. She also had a strong desire to see as much of the world as she could. Overall this seemed like too good of an opportunity to pass up. As she followed Lynn through the house she looked around in amazment. Everything, and every room in the house was so shiny, so clean and expensive. The whole house looked almost unlived in. With the exception of a few kid related objects. There were a few toys scattered in the living room, some dishes near the sink and a half empty sippy cup on the counter. When Lynn opened the fridge and took out a bottle of water, Emma noticed that there was barely anything in it.

"Have a seat." Lynn motioned to the chairs at the table and set the bottle of water in front of Emma after she sat down. Emma smiled and watched Lynn walk out of the room and up the staircase in the hall to go get her son and granddaughter.

Justin and Riley were upstairs in Justin's room watching cartoons on television when Lynn knocked on the door and came into the room. "Hey baby, I think we've found our girl." She smiled and Justin sat up and turned off the television.

"Come on Riley, we're gonna go meet a new friend." Justin got off the bed and picked Riley up and she clung to him. Then the three of them went down the stairs towards the kitchen.

They paused in the hall and Justin peeked in and noticed the strange girl staring out the kitchen window and he wondered what she was thinking about. Her curly hair caught his eye and he took a few seconds to look her up and down. She was sitting down but he could tell that she was on the tall side, but still definatly shorter then him. She wasn't deathly skinny like most of the girls he was surrounded by on a daily basis in the Hollywood scene, but she was definitely good looking. She was toned and he immediately wondered if she'd played basketball in high school. He was just beginning to fantasize about kicking her butt on the court when he realized his mother was talking to him. he shook off the impending thoughts of maybe trying to hit on this girl and remembered that she was here to possibly be his daughter's nanny.

"Justin? Are you listening to me?" Lynn's voice filtered through his thoughts.

"Sorry." he mumbled and focused on his mother, who half smiled because she knew her son all too well.

"her name is Emma, she's very qualified and probably one of the sweetest girls I've interviewed today. I really like her. She's 23, just graduated from UCLA and doesn't have any problem with the traveling thing. She's a winner dear, she's the one." Lynn smiled "Come on."

Lynn came back into the kitchen with Justin and Riley just a few steps behind. Emma heard them come in and she breathed in and stood up, trying to prepare herself for the unimaginable. However, seeing Justin Timberlake holding a child on his hip was nowhere near something she expected.

"Oh my God." she said softly. Justin smiled and then exchanged worried glances with his mother. He held out his hand.

"Emma?" she nodded at his question but couldn't find her voice right away. She closed her eyes and let out the breath she didn't realize she was holding and then opened her eyes again.

"Hi." She smiled weakly and shook his hand quickly.

"I'm sorry. I just had no idea and you are by far the last person I expected to come down those stairs needing a nanny." She paused. "I need to sit down." She backstepped and sat down in the chair behind her.

"Is this going to be a problem?" Lynn asked and Emma shook her head no.

"No, no I'm just shocked thats all. I didn't know you had a child." she looked at Justin again and smiled.

"Yeah. Join the club." he sighed and pulled out the chair across from her to sit down. Lynn noticed her opportunity to leave and quickly said her goodbyes.

"It was nice to meet you Emma, I hope I'll be seeing you again soon." Lynn said goodbye to Emma. "Goodbye Sweetie." She leaned down and kissed Justin on the cheek. "Love you."

"Love you too." he replied.

"Goodbye Riley." Lynn plucked her out of Justin's arms and hugged her tightly before handing her back to Justin and kissing her cheek too. She reached for the sippy cup off the counter and put it on the table in front of Riley.

"Say goodbye to Gramma." Justin whispered in Riley's ear. Riley glanced at the stranger sitting across the table timidly and then softly whispered goodbye to Lynn. "Love you." Justin whispered to Riley again.

"Love you" Riley echoed a little louder as Lynn replied with an 'I love you too.' and then left.

The three of them headed back into the living room so that Riley could play with her toys and still be supervised while Justin talked to Emma a little more.

"What did you mean when you said 'join the club.'?" Emma asked after a few minutes of silence between them.

"Oh it's a long story. I didn't know I had Riley until about a week ago. It kinda sucks because I missed everything but... there's nothing I can do now." Justin sighed and waited for the look he knew was coming. He knew what it sounded like. Big time superstar sleeps around and gets someone pregnant. Whatever.

Emma just nodded though and smiled "She's cute. And she looks so much like you."

Justin brushed past his shock and looked at Riley with a half-smile. "Yeah." His half-smile turned into a whole smile when Riley looked up at him and then stood up and came over to him and tried to climb onto his lap. He reached down and pulled her up.

"Hi Daddy." Riley said, playing with the collar of his t-shirt.

"Hi baby." he replied and then kissed her forehead. Earning himself a soft smile out of Emma. "This is Emma." Justin looked at Emma, "She's going to hang out with us a lot and spend a lot ot time with you when Daddy has to work."

"Oh." Riley said. "Hi." she said very softly and looked at Emma cautiously.

"Hi Riley. What were you playing with down there?" Emma asked over-enthusiastically and smiled at Justin when Riley scrambled off his lap and waited for Emma to follow her to the blocks scattered on the floor.

Justin stood up and started walking toward the kitchen. It was nearing 5 and he was getting hungry. "I'll let you two get acquainted." He winked at Emma "I'm going to order a pizza if you want to stay for a while."

Emma thought for a moment. "Sure." she figured she might as well get used to just hanging out with him, she was about to spend every waking hour with him for months so she didn't see the harm in spending time with him now.

A few minutes later Justin came back into the living room and relaxed on his couch, he turned on the television and flipped through the channels before finally leaving it on MTV. "So, I think you've got the job." he chuckled and Emma laughed a little too. "We have to be in Buffalo on Sunday is that going to be a problem?"

"I don't think so. I don't have a plane ticket or anything though." Emma replied as she stacked some blocks and made a 'house.'

"Don't worry about it, I'll take care of it. You won't have to pay for anything, not hotel rooms, or plane tickets, or food unless you go out somewhere on your own. The only thing you need your own money for would be if you go out to a mall or somewhere that else that I don't go. I have a credit card with Jive that I charge to, and the tour director takes care of hotels and travel arrangements." Justin informed her.

"Oh." Emma said simply. She was slightly amazed at the lifestyle he led, not having to worry about anything. Not to mention being completely loaded and not having to think about the cost of anything.

"You're pretty much going to be with Riley all the time during the day and evening. I mean, I'll be there at night, and in the daytime but I have interviews with radio shows, television promos, appearences and that kind of shit so, you're going to need to be around a lot."

"Well... that's what you're paying me for right?" Emma laughed and the tower of blocks fell over making Riley giggle. Justin's attention diverted from Emma and he watched his daughter with a goofy smile.

"Speaking of that. Is $5,000 a week okay? I'm not really sure how much to pay you." his expression showed that he was completely confused.

"$5,000 a week? That's great." Emma answered. Considering she didn't have to pay for anything other then her own personal desires she figured that she was making out pretty well.

"Cool." Justin sighed. "Well, we won't be here at the house for very long but would you like a tour?" he asked as he stood up and reached down to pick up Riley.

"Sure. Is this your only house?" She asked.

"No." Justin shook his head. "I have a house in Memphis too." he answered and headed in the direction of the staircase, with Emma following behind him.

"Oh." Her eyes widened but she was quiet otherwise.

"Heh." Justin chuckled softly to himself. He tended not to realize that not everyone lived the way he did. Quickly he navigated them from room to room, with an overexcited Riley throwing in little comments every once in a while, and then showed her the sparsely decorated backyard, complete with a fenced in pool that was drained because it hadn't actually been used in months.

"Well I think I should probably get going. I have a lot of packing to do." Emma said, as they ended up back in the living room.

"Yeah. okay. Are you sure you don't want to wait for the pizza to get here? It should be any minute now." Justin put Riley back on the floor and she went back to playing with her toys.

"No. I'm not really hungry. Thanks though. And thank you for the job."

"Seriously? Thank you. It's such a short notice and a quick decision, I'm suprised that anyone showed up to be interviewed. But, if you just wanna come back here on Sunday morning we gotta get outa here by noon." Justin reached for a pen and a piece of paper off the coffee table and wrote down some numbers. "Here's my cell phone number, call me if you have any problems or questions." he handed her the peice of paper.

"Ok... hey, how much could I get for this on ebay?" she giggled and he looked worried at first but then laughed a little too.

"Don't even think about it." he replied waving a finger at her.

"I'll talk to you later Justin." Emma said, still laughing and was suprised when Justin wrapped his arms around her in a quick and friendly hug. After the initial shock, she hugged him back and then stepped away.

"Bye, Em." he said as he stepped back and folded his arms across his chest. "Riley, say goodbye to Emma." He called out to his daughter. Riley ran over as fast as her little legs could and wrapped her arms around Emma's legs.

"Bye bye Emmaaa" she said, dragging out the name in a way only a child could.

"Bye Riley, I'll see you soon." Emma crouched down and hugged her before saying goodbye to Justin again, and finally leaving the house and heading home to get ready for probably the biggest adventure she would ever set out on.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story