I'm not a saint, I'm just a man
Who had Heaven and earth in the palm of his hand
But I threw it away, so now I stand here today
Asking forgivness and if you could just please
Give me another chance to write you another song
And take back those things I've done

Justin stepped out of LaGuardia Airport and scanned the immediate area looking for the car that should be there waiting for him. He pulled his baseball cap lower, to mask his face a bit more and avoided looking at anyone passing by him.

He finally spotted a black SUV, with a man standing next to it holding a sign that read, Ken Adams... that was his established alter ego in order to avoid the madness that a sign with his real name might cause.

After much deliberation, he had finally boared a plane to New York City, fully commiting to the idea that he would search every damn apartment in Manhatten to find Allie.

He was determined to fix this.

He approached the man, introduced himself and then climbed into the car, knowing that the airport would have his baggage dropped off at his hotel later.

He stared out the window as the car crossed the bridge that linked Manhatten to Long Island, and watched the scenery of the high-rise buildings of the upper east side pass him by.

Maybe it would be a little less luxurious then he was used to, but he'd booked a hotel midtown, hoping to be a bit more low-key.

This trip wasn't about being seen, and talked about. It was about fixing the wrongs in his world, and making his heart whole again.

The car started to pull off to the side and Justin sat up a little straighter, wondering what was going on because he knew they couldn't possibly be there yet.

Then, an abulance slid through the narrow space between the lanes of cars and the car he was in pulled back en route. He watched the flashing lights as they flew by and a strange feeling came over him.

He leaned back into the seat again and sighed, racking his brain, trying to figure out where to start this seemingly impossible head-hunt.

He arrived at the hotel, checked in and went up to his room. That strange almost sickening feeling washed over him again and he wondered if he'd caught some bug on the plane or something...

He laid down on the bed, closed his eyes and put a hand on his stomach, willing the nausea to leave so that he could figure out what to do next.

Then his phone rang. He reached into his pocket to look at the call ID, he wasn't sure he wanted to talk to anyone right now. He hadn't told his mother or Trace where he was going and they would probably be discovering his absence right now.

But the number for the incoming call wasn't one he recognized, he figured it was his mother trying to trick him into answering so he ignored the call and relaxed again.

A few seconds later though the number called again, he wondered why she wouldn't take the hint and leave him alone. He sent the call to voicemail and waited, knowing it would beep any second to let him know there was a messege.

He'd at least listen to it, before deciding to calm her distress, or let her worry for a bit more. He wasn't sadistic, and didn't get any pleasure out of freaking her out, but she had been on his back ever since Allie left trying to get him to either move on or so something about it.

Now he was finally taking her advice, at least somewhat, and he didn't want her gloating to make him feel any worse.

Sure enough the phone beeped and he opened the phone, to check the messege and sat up quickly when the voice that was coming through, wasn't his mother at all.

"Justin... it's Renee." Justin breathed in deep, wondering why Renee would be calling him, and thinking the worst.

"I probably shouldn't be calling you...But I just wanted to let you know that Allie's in labor. I thought you deserved to know that your son was coming. Goodbye."

The line went dead and Justin's heart leap into his throat. His only thought was that he needed to know where she was, right this second. He had to be there, he wouldn't be able to forgive himself if her wasn't.

He dialed back the number right away, not quite sure what he was going to say, but knowing he had to think of something.

"Hello?" He heard Renee's voice.

"Renee? It's Justin, I got your messege." He said quickly. "Where are you?"

"What? Where am I? I'm in a hospital. Where are you?"

"I'm in New York. What hospital?"

"You're in New York!?"

"Yes."

"What the hell are you doing here?"

"What the hell do you think I'm doing here... I came to find Allie. Where are you? I need to be there now."

"I'm not sure that's a good idea Justin."

"And right now I don't give a flying fuck what you think. Tell me what hospital you're at. I swear I'll search every damn hospital in the tri-county area if I have to."

Renee inhaled sharply. Probably offended by his angry outburst but he didn't really care right now.

"Saint Vincents. It's 170 west..." She was cut off.

"I know where it is. I'll be there in fifteen minutes." And with that he flipped the phone shut, shoved it in his pocket and was out the door in less then a minute.

Judgement day had arrived, and there was no way he was going to be turned away from this little piece of Heaven that God had granted him. Come hell or high water, he was going to be there when his son was born, and he was going to get Allie back.


Allie bit back tears at the pain she was feeling. She’d read all the books and knew what they said; she’d tried to prepare for it, but this was unimaginable. She fought through another contraction as Renee peeked into the room around the door, and then came in.

“Hey, how’re ya doin?” Renee said softly, handing Allie a cup of ice chips. Allie already felt exhausted and she knew she still had a long way to go, but she was glad to have Renee there. She nodded just a bit and took the cup from Renee. Renee had a strange look on her face and Allie was just about to say something when yet another contraction caught her off-guard and she handed the cup to Renee who took it quickly.

Renee set it on the table and grabbed for Allie’s hand, swearing that her bones were breaking, but she breathed through that much the same way Allie was breathing through her pain.

The doctor knocked at the door and came in.

“Hello Allie, let’s see how we’re doing.” The doctor smiled and he sat down in front of her for a moment.

“Well dear, I think we’re ready to have a baby.” He stood up and smiled, Allie shifted into panic mode again; she couldn’t believe this was all happening. She glanced at Renee, who offered reassurance in the form of a sympathetic smile.

Allie took a deep breath as the nurses adjusted the bed.

“Renee…”

“Can you go see if my mom is here yet?”

“Don’t you want me to stay?”

“I’ll be okay, just please?”

“Yea, I’ll be right back.” Renee dropped Allie’s hand and walked towards the door slowly. Nurses were moving around her, getting things ready and the doctor was there too, giving people commands and also telling Allie to relax, but Allie didn’t even recognize that word at the moment.

Minutes, that seemed a lot like hours, later Allie’s face was streamed with tears, the doctor was telling her to keep pushing, and Allie was still all alone. Renee hadn’t returned, her mother hadn’t shown up and Allie felt like she was going to die from the pain.

“I… can’t do… this.” She managed to say between agonizing breaths. She just wanted to give up.

But then a hand reached for hers, held onto it tightly and a soft, familiar voice whispered into her ear.

“Yes you can.”

Allie’s eyes popped open so wide she thought they might fall out as she turned her head and saw Justin standing there beside her. She blinked, a few more tears dropping as she tried to make herself believe that it wasn’t just her imagination.

“Justin?”

He nodded, and with one hand wiped some of her hair off her forehead. “Yea… Allie I’m so sorry.”

Allie shook her head. “It’s okay.”

“I just want you to know, that you and this baby are all that’s ever going to matter to me now. I’m so sorry that I didn’t come find you sooner.”

“You’re here now.” She said, still crying and her hold on his hand loosened.

His uneasy expression softened into a smile and he kissed her lips quickly.

The doctor’s voice broke through the moment. “Allie, just one more push.”

“Let’s meet our son.” Justin whispered softly. Allie breathed deeply, tightened her hold on his hand again. He winced at the feeling, but within a few moments it was all over and the sweetest sound filled the room.

Allie found Justin’s eyes, both sets of tear filled orbs shining brightly as they heard their little boy crying for the first time. He didn’t hesitate to kiss her again, this time passionately filling the void, and simultaneously healing the wounds that had kept them apart for the last month.

Even after their lips broke apart, his forehead remained pressed against hers, both sets of eyes were closed, both pairs of lips smiling and their hands holding tightly to each others, resting under their chins. Their shallow breaths swirled in the air between them and Justin leaned forward one more time to kiss her quickly.

It had been so long since he’d been able to, and he really just wanted to keep doing it.

“Congratulations.” Their heads turned to see the doctor standing there with their little angel snuggled in a soft blue blanket. He handed the baby to Justin, who then tucked it in Allie’s open arms.

“Do we have a name for him?”

Allie looked at Justin with uncertainty. Before they’d found out whether it was going to be a boy or a girl, they’d decided that he would pick out the name for a boy, and she would if it was a girl. So it was all up to him. He leaned closer to her, and whispered in her ear.

Then he leaned back and waited for her approval. She nodded, eliciting a broad grin from Justin.

“Noah Alexander.” Justin said proudly. He would later tell Allie, he’d picked Noah because it meant ‘peace’ and that was what the appearance of the baby, and Allie had eventually brought to him, but that didn’t matter at this moment.

Right now all that mattered was that he had made it there, and she had let him back in. They were together, Noah was there and he knew that everything else would undoubtedly fall into place.

Cuz I'll give you my heart
If you would let me start all over again
Little girl, you're all I've got
Don't you leave me standing here once again
Cuz I'll give you my life
If you would let me try to love you again


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story