Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.
Author's Chapter Notes:

"Here" -Rascal Flatts

Here

Here
In a love I never thought I'd get to get to
And if thats the road
God made me take to get to you

Justin stared out the windshield, silently watching the yellow and white lines drift by with the miles under the tires. His girlfriend of almost four years, Danielle, was asleep in the back seat. As a result the car was silent; the only noise came from the breathing of the two people in the car, and wheels against the pavement.

Then the sound of a plane flying overhead came and went, and the silence returned. For the moment, the plane had brought him comfort. He hated silence. It always left him feeling so alone, even when there were people near. He couldn’t take the thoughts that plagued his mind and the odd aura of nothingness that crept in on him whenever it was this quiet.

He glanced in the rear view mirror, half smiling at the rabbits foot keychain that was hanging there. It had been one of the first things Danielle had given him, a token of good luck when he’d set off overseas for an awards show. That was the first time he would be alone over there, since he’d taken the break from *Nsync. He chuckled lightly at the sudden memory. She had been there beside him for some of the biggest moments of his life over the past few years.

He concentrated on the road again, remembering the moment three days ago when Danielle had suddenly approached him with the idea of a spur of the moment drive across the country. From New York City to Sacramento. She was like that though, spontaneous and always kept him guessing. That was what he loved most about her. The uncanny ability she had to challenge him in ways he never knew possible.

It was just one of the things that assured him, she was the one. She didn’t yet know that he planned on asking her to marry him once they reached their destination. He would find the perfect place, drop to one knee, and surprise the crap out of her for once.

That notion made him smile even bigger. She would never expect it.

Losing himself in those thoughts had drowned out the silence for a little while, but now as he focused back on the road, the uneasiness returned. Thankfully, it didn’t last long, he heard her moving around and then he felt her hand on his shoulder as she climbed over the console and into the passenger seat.

“Good Morning Sleepyhead.” He smiled and leaned to the side, as she kissed his cheek.

“Its two in the afternoon.” She rolled her eyes and he glanced at her.

“Who cares?” He winked.

She laughed. Time didn’t really matter right now. It was simply the two of them, enjoying the company of just each other. Doing whatever they felt like doing. That was the point.

With him being who he was it was rare that he had any length of time to do something like this. Which really didn’t bother her, she loved him as the man she knew, and his hectic lifestyle, catered to her desire to experience all that she could, and see all there was to see.

They had their moments, arguments every once in a while over distance and rumors. But it all came down to the fact that they needed each other to feel complete and they knew nothing could come between them.

And I wouldn't change a thing
I'd walk right back through the rain
Back to every broken heart
On the day that it was breaking

Justin reached over and patted her thigh, letting his hand rest there for a moment, as she turned the dial on the radio trying to find a good station. He read the sign on the highway that let him know they were near his hometown. Of course he could get off the next exit, drive for another hour or so and catch up with his family. He was sure Danielle wouldn’t mind, but he drove on.

He removed his hand from where it was resting and reached for hers just as it was coming away from the stereo. He wound their fingers together and brought the back of her hand to his lips.

He knew she might think it was a little random, but a fleeting thought of an ex-girlfriend had crept into his mind as they passed by that Memphis, Tennessee exit. He felt so lucky to have what he had now. But, it was memories like that one that helped him to fully appreciate what he had with Danielle.

The relationship with Jenna had been one horrible mistake after another. They had known each other since childhood, and that was far too much history, that only got in the way. They had changed so much since the days of climbing trees and playing hide-and-seek, and even though the idea of them seemed like such a perfect fairy tale, there was no way to make it work.

He felt a little bad about how it had all ended, but it took two to bring it down. He’d really only used Jenna to get over Britney and she deserved better than that, and she’d used him to establish herself in his world.

Danielle’s sweet voice broke through his thoughts. “Baby, are you good?”

“Yea.” He said, releasing her hand and rubbing the top of his head. It was a little longer then he wanted it to be and he made a note to get it buzzed again as soon as possible. He reached for the cup of now cold coffee that was in the cup holder and took a long swing. Cringing at the taste. He wasn’t really a fan of coffee, but it was even worse when it had been sitting there for two and a half hours.

"I think I'm just tired." and as if his body wanted to prove a point, he yawned. Apparently he really was tired.

"Well, pull over, we'll stop for some food and then I'll drive for a while." She said. "Then, I can watch you sleep in the rear-view mirror." She giggled.

He smiled, nodded slightly and pulled off the highway at the next exit.

He heard her start to hum along with the radio and he kind of wished she would just start singing. He loved to hear her sing, but she didn't do it very often. She said it was his job, and she joked that she didn't want to steal it from him.

Justin pulled the car into the parking lot of a diner and parked it next to a rusty old pick-up truck.

He leaned his head against the seat, just enjoying the fact that for the first time in hours the car wasn't moving. He heard Danielle moving around again and heard the seat-belt click, but he didn't open his eyes.

Then he felt her body heat inch closer, as she climbed onto his lap. It was a tight squeeze, and he could tell that she was waiting for a reaction of some sort, but he wasn't going to give her the satisfaction.

His eyes still remained closed, even after her fingers slipped behind his head and neck and deliberately traced lazy circles at the base of his neck. He could feel his heart beat faster and his blood run a little warmer. She knew exactly what to do to capture his full attention.

"You really shouldn't do that." His voice was deeper then normal but he couldn't help it. Now, he was keeping his eyes closed because if he opened them and looked right at her, it would only be a matter of minutes before they were participating in something you could be arrested for in most states.

"Well, you should be paying attention to me." he felt her breath whisper against his lips as she spoke and he knew just how close she was.

Without even needing to open his eyes, he leaned a fraction of an inch forward and captured her lips briefly. Then, he leaned back again, and finally opened his eyes to look at her.

"Thank you." She smiled.

Her hands moved and she squeezed his shoulders, feeling how tense the muscles were. She pressed against them a few more times and laughed lightly when his eyes drooped, and he groaned.

He pulled her hands away from his shoulders and held onto them, shaking out his shoulders. "C'mon lets get some food." he nudged her leg and she retreated to the passenger seat. He pulled the keys out of the ignition and watched Danielle as she climbed out of the car. She moved towards the front and looked at him through the windsheild, giving him a 'well... hurry up.' kind of look. She smiled, and that rabbits foot key-chain caught his eye.

He shook his head, thinking of just how lucky he was to have someone like her there for him, loving him.

He held up one finger and leaned towards the backseat, where his jacket was balled up. She had used it as a makeshift pillow. He reached into the inside pocket and pulled out a small black velvet box. He made sure to keep it below the level of her sight, and tucked it into the pocket of his jeans.

He couldn't wait any longer, he didn't need to wait until the got to Sacramento for that so called perfect moment.

Every moment with her, was perfect.

And I'd re-live all the years
and be thankful for the tears
I've cried with every stumbled step that led to you
And got me...
Here

Completed
Ally is the author of 22 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Here also liked 317 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story