The story I have to tell is not a pretty one. It’s a story that most decided was better left unsaid. I’m one of very few who know all the intricate details, and today I’m breaking my silence. You see, I disagree with the notion that everything is well left alone. I don’t understand how well can even begin to describe the unfortunate effects this untold story had on so many lives- especially the two lives of two people I have grown to care deeply about. This isn’t my story, and I was one of the lucky ones that didn’t reap the havoc that spread as a result of this tragedy. However, how lucky am I really, if I can’t escape the haunting presence of what I know? How better off am I if I can’t ignore the stained gaze that lingers on the eyes of a dear friend, knowing the torment they must be suffering through every day? Nothing about this situation is fair, and I hope that more light will be shed after this revelation, and that good that will result in it outweighs the harm. I hope that when this is through I can still call them both my friends, my family. This was a decision that was not come by lightly, but was accompanied by a thorough search of the heart. At first, I wanted this done for my own piece of mind. I wanted what I knew to finally be revealed to all persons it concerned. I wanted the weight to be lifted from my shoulders, I wanted my conscious to be clear. Then I ran into her, she looked so sad, even though she smiled and spoke as if life hadn’t turned out the way it had. My heart broke for her, and many would be surprised that it still breaks for him too. Everyone thinks that they see him clearly, that the charade he puts up is actually his true temperament. But they have no idea, they are outsiders- and now they includes me. He hasn’t been the same since it happened, and I know because I was there before it happened and I was there when it happened. So now that I’m still here after it happened, I can declare- in good measure- that he is no longer the same. The little things that I used to notice, like the way his eyes lit up followed by the cutest scrunch of the nose whenever he was delighted, no longer happens. If , and when, his eyes light up now, its usually followed by a tight smile that is held almost too brief. Nothing like the boasting grin he use to proudly claim before. So it started that I could no longer live under the pretense, I was dying to see that familiar look in his eye. That warm loving one. It was selfishness that drove me to this point at first, but then...I ran into her. Suddenly, everything became full circle for me, and it moved from being about me, to being about them. I happened to be in the same place she was, which was an unusual circumstance all in itself because she no longer came around those places, and she saw me first. Her eyes shown with recognition, but her face remained blank as she tried to push past me, hoping that I’d allow her to do so. But I couldn’t, because the memories that conjured up upon first glance couldn’t allow me to do such a thing. I touched her arm, and she withdrew from he as if I burned her. Ever the thespian, she quickly recovered and plastered on a surreal smile. We spoke casually, nothing more than irrelevant conversation, and then just like that she was gone. My heart fell to my stomach, and my mouth twisted into disappointment. I felt the rush of the past fall upon me, and instantly a tear saturated my eye. It was then that I realized, something had to be done. I’m probably the most unlikely person to be doing this, which is why it works out well for me. You see, this has to be done under complete discretion. Even if you thought you knew who I was, I wouldn’t tell you. I’m one of many that had once been apart of that life, the life shared between two people who once meant the world to each other. Neither of them know I’m doing this, in fact noone knows I am. Which scares me, I have no one to encourage me, remind me that I am doing the right thing. I’m waiting for the moment when the dust settles and its finally left up to them to decipher the truth. I’m waiting for them to take a hold of that knowledge and do with it what they can. I’m hoping they can salvage what they once had, and maybe I’m just a hopeful. Even if they can’t come back to what they once were, I at least hope there is peace. Peace in knowing. Peace in understanding. I hope I haven’t waited to long to do this. I’ve only confided thus far in you, no one else knows my logic, no one else can even imagine that I’ve been thinking this. No one else knows that I know it all. Only you. Hopefully, when I tell this story, eyes are opened and doors do not shut. Maybe, if this is met with a glimmer of acceptance, I can come out the shadows and reveal myself as the culprit. I’m sure the chance of that happening, regardless of the outcome, is more than slim to none. I’m perfectly content with remaining nameless, I don’t want to be found out. I don’t want anyone to sway me into thinking this is a bad idea. I hope you understand, I hope they do too. This is for them, a chance that was never allotted them in the beginning. This had better make a difference.....



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story