Author's Chapter Notes:

I had almost decided that I had taken the wrong course of action. I had tested the waters by seeing what my revelation would do. How they would react to the plan. I've received plenty of phone calls, none that were accusatory, but were actually made in search of consolation. If they only knew... So now here is the beginning, now watch the story unfold

Chpt 1

Shelby Forest was the sleepy town nestled deep within the back country of Tennessee, a mere sixty seven miles outside of downtown Memphis. If you blinked your eye in passing, you would surely miss it and if your imagination didn’t take you beyond the fortress of trees that guarded the town from modern civilization, you’d think someone was playing a trick on you. There were very few that knew about Shelby Forest, and even fewer that actually lived there. The town had no more than 300 inhabitants, and that is if you extend your count to a twenty mile radius from the town square. Shelby Forest was a town where everybody knows your name, where doors were left open overnight and at any given time your likely to see more livestock than people. It was a place where generally everyone came from the same strand, as if somewhere down the line- every person that resided in Shelby Forest could be traced back to one sole line of ancestry. The notion would tickle most, but only proved to frustrate Dale Lynn McKenna. She was an only child, the first of many deviations from the social norm, since the town average was about 3.5 children per household. She also had long thick black hair, which was inherited from her maternal Native American grandmother, and copper colored skin which could be attributed to whomever her African American father might be. The most her mother, Beverly, knew about her father was that he was African American and lived somewhere between Columbus, GA and Birmingham, AL. Beverly was a worldly woman, who donned the same thick black hair as her daughter, that was known for her nomadic ways and lusty activities. It would only make sense for her mother to have lost track of the man who held the key to Dale’s lineage, since it was a rarity that Beverly knew the men she laid down with for more than a night. It was fact that could never be kept secret, for no matter where Beverly went next, her ways followed her. Not only did she have the reputation of her mother as a shadow, but her strong features set her apart even more. She was an outcast, a social deviant, someone who did not belong.

" I reckon yer knew here?" It had been six months since Dale and her mother first moved into town, and she still had yet to grow accustomed to the thick accent of the residents and their ever redundant questioning. She might have been new six months ago, but after considerable sightings- since she worked out of the only gas shop in the town square- the question of her being knew was growing pretty old. She had long since stopped answering and instead flicked her yellow brown eyes towards the customer and plastered on an even smile. She recognized him and wondered if it was the whiskey that could be detected on his breath, or his wandering eye that had Sam O’Grady asking her a question he already had the answer to. Clearing her throat, she reached for his items and systematically rang and bagged them. She moved at a swift pace, just to ensure that he’d be gone and forgotten before the minute.

" Ya git an ‘earin problem?" She stopped her face from frowning at his atrocious use of slang, and perked up enough to let out a brilliant smile. From the way his eyes shifted in delight, Dale could tell that was all he was after- at least for now. He knew well enough than to stand and cause a scene, so just grabbed the bag she held out for him and clucked his tongue in frustration.

" One day gurl." Sam grimaced moving to the side, his steps hard and heavy as he made his way out the door. Dale ignored the goose bumps that trailed up her arm in response to his tone and consoled herself in knowing that he was nothing more than talk. She couldn’t say that she completely trusted him, but she trusted that nothing more would happen under the watchful eye of Billy, the store owner. Billy Bomar, was the store owner, who looked after Dale like she was his own. She was more than four times her age, and was the closest semblance of a father figure in her life. At his age, he was more like a grandfather- which made no difference because as it stands he was the only man in her life. She looked over her shoulder and found him seated at his table surrounded by two other men that looked about his age. Daddy Bomar, which she lovingly called him, had been one of the first people to speak to her in town. She had been walking around the town square, aimlessly, when he walked up to her and asked her business. He was stern, but very kind, and offered her a part time job at his gas shop named Billy’s. Dale was more than happy to accept the offer, since it meant somewhat of an income for her household. Living in the trailer park just off the main road didn’t require much money, but the little that it did Beverly always failed to pay. He winked at her, assuring her that his eyes were on her, before turning back to his game of dominoes. A sigh of relief fell off her lips, as she turned back to the front of the store and watched nothing in particular. The store had its share of business, it was just that in came in very few and very spread out spurts. Most of the time, she was perched atop of the stool behind the counter reading whichever romance novel she borrowed off the shelves for that week. Deciding that it would be another hour before an actual customer would approach the counter for business, Dale knelt down and pulled out the latest novel by Johanna Lindsay- The Rogue Warrior. She was all set on learning the intimate details of Thor, the handsome savage, and his prisoner Lira’s love quest when she heard the bell to the store ring announcing the arrival of a new customer.

" Hi." she offered, but was quickly turned off the by the hurried footsteps of the tall man who stalked down the isle and completely ignored her greeting. Her eyes went huge as she watched him shuffle a fleeting glance her way, and then proceed to step behind the counter and into the entrance way of the small dining area where Daddy Bomar and his friends played. With interest, she turned and watched the scene unfold, as the mysterious young man opened his arms and enveloped Daddy Bomar into a tight embrace. It was the least she expected of the obtrusive visitor, but could see that whomever it was made Daddy Bomar beam with joy. She watched the two of them interact, and decided that she was intruding on an intimate moment as she turned around to plop onto her stool and read her book. She was trying to pay attention to the intricate words of the author, but found that she was distracted by her own eavesdropping, as she strained to hear what was taking place in the other room. She could barely make out the words ‘son’ and ‘song’ when she heard a heap of laughter flow from the room. Whoever it was seemed to be charming the pants off of the elders, which heightened her fascination even more. From her judging glance, he didn’t seem like the charming type, then again he barely acknowledged her. She sighed in frustration when she realized there was no way to decipher through all the strong accents being thrown every which way, and continued on with her reading. She had just fallen back into the story line when a second sounding of the bell tore her from the words. She looked up and this time she recognized the dark haired boy who walked just as hurriedly towards the counter.

" Hi." her standard greeting, and the boy whom she vaguely recognized from around town before flashed her a quick smile. She followed him with her eyes as he too made his way to the back room. She was one of the few people in town who still had yet to learn everyone’s name. Aside from the elders, and the perverted men and teenage boys, she barely knew anyone. The girls were not the friendliest, and the boys her age always seemed like the were giving her ogling stares that sickened her more than it welcomed her. She’d seen the shorter dark haired boy before in passing, when she was walking home one day and he passed by. She remembered such encounter, because he had a fabulous red sports car, which was a direct contrast to the mangled pick ups she was so used to seeing. He was laughing and consumed in the beautiful blonde haired girl that rode beside him, both of them looking as out of place as she always felt- except in a movie star kind of way. She only saw him on occasion, but whenever she did he always seemed bigger than the town.

" Trace whose watching the car?" the mystery man’s voice broke her from her concentration and had her looking between the him and the dark haired boy she now realized was named Trace.

"Probably the camera man that was hiding in the bushes." Trace replied grabbing a few chocolate bars off the shelf and placing them on the counter. Dale quickly rang them, since she could tell their was urgency in the mystery man’s voice.

" Fuck Trey...what the hell?!" The mystery man pulled his cap further down, and licked him lips in frustration. His eyes only rested briefly on Dale before he turned to peer out the window. Following his eyes, Dale could see the glistening black Mercedes that was double parked in front of the store.

" Calm down J...it’s not like the damn thing doesn’t draw attention all on its own." Trace was unwrapping a candy bar, his voice nothing like the strained one his partner was giving.

" Fuck." The mystery man hissed pushing past Trace and heading out the door. Dale wondered what the big deal was, and why it seemed that a group of people were suddenly surrounding the car she watched the mystery man walk out to.

" Hey, Thanks."Trace smiled before turning to follow suit. Dale followed them out the window and watched as the two hopped inside of the car in lightening speed and sped out of the parking lot. Shaking her head, Dale nestled back down on her stool and allowed the words of Ms. Lindsay to drown out her curiosity.

" I told you to take the chevy." Justin Timberlake didn’t let the mockery of his surprise go unnoticed. If his mother even thought that the idea of him attempting to drive his grandmother’s 1984 five speed station wagon would have been more realistic, she was sadly mistaken. He just wanted to drop into town and see if his grandfather was up for a weekend fishing trip. It had been no less than ten months since he had been back home, and the first thing on his agenda was to round up the Timberlake clan and head to cabin for the weekend. Nothing against the women in his life, it was just that after spending night and day being screamed at by them and then occasionally going home to the one that lived with him, Justin was in need of some serious male time outside that of his group. He needed his down south, back country, southern gentlemen father and grandfather to lay back and smoke a pipe with him while they exchanged stories about sports and guns. He wanted to see his two younger brothers, catch them up on a few game of basketball and see how their skills had improved. He wanted to ride around town with Trace, and just chill and relax and be away from the life that he had been so accustomed to. He didn’t want the tabloids, he didn’t want the fans, he wanted home and all the familiar things that come with it. It only made sense to him that his fame would be left at his door step in Los Angeles and that it wouldn’t make its way down to the dusty roads of Shelby Forest- but that was clearly his wishful thinking. Sure enough, not even ten minutes into town, and the cameras were already staking out his every move.

" Let’s be serious here now. The chevy bomber is not exactly a chick magnet." Trace sighed, gaining two annoyed looks from Justin and his mother. Lynn Harless, rolled her eyes and ignored the man- she thought of like a second son- and focused on her first born.

" Should we call Hank?" Justin just sighed in frustration, not willing to call up a swat team just to spend a few precious moments at home. It was ridiculous, didn’t these photographers have something more to do than stalk him. Now they knew where his grandfather worked, and needless to say they’ll be camping all outside the gas shop now. If they called Hank, he would first advise that Justin come back to L.A. and fly out his family. He would then proceed to set up some bogus fishing trip that probably doubled as a casino gig at night. That wasn’t what Justin wanted. When it came that Hank’s request would be denied, he would then settle on sending more than a dozen of his men to guard Justin and his family’s premises. An option Justin was still against, but would rather accept than the first

" No, it’s cool. There’s nothing to go on here anyway. They’ll get bored by morning." Justin hoped his words were convincing enough for his mother to step away from the notion. He knew she was concerned, but he only spotted at most three cameras and could safely say that when they realized there was nothing close to a story down here the dirt roads and slow drone of life would send them packing before dawn.

" I don’t know J..they looked pretty optimistic." Trace laughed grabbing for yet another fresh backed cookie, making it his sixth. Justin shrugged, wondering what it was that they expected to find. He was here for a break, and was only going to be surrounded by family. If they were looking for some dirt, they were better off following Britney. That thought alone sent a wave of anger through his body, he didn’t feel like thinking of the possibility. Of course there were rumors, but he’d readily believe a genie before he’d buy into the tabloids. There relationship wasn’t the best, but it didn’t deserve his lack of faith in it. He asked her once, she denied it, they ended up fucking. The issue was tucked under the rug, and never questioned again. If America thought she was cheating, they’d have to wait until he has seen for himself to sway him any different.

" Of course, anything to add onto the Britney cheating catastrophe." Lynn hissed, crossing her arms over her chest and pressing her lips tightly together. Justin grimaced inside, hoping that would be the last that was said of that particular issue. He didn’t feel like discussing it, as far as he was concerned it was taken care of.

" Alright...let’s go round up the gear. Get this freak show over with." Trace groaned, sensing the need for a change in subject. Justin smirked at his best friends obvious contempt towards his favorite extracurricular activity. Trace hated fishing, and considered the best part to be when it was over. He only went because Justin begged him, and this time was no different. Standing to his feet, Justin crossed over and kissed his mother, before rushing upstairs to dig out his fishing rods.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story