Story Notes:

Inspired by/Based on the song Sending You A Little Christmas by Jim Brickman feat. Kristy Starling. 

 

And here's my fancy disclaimer:  I'm not affiliated in any way, shape or form with the public figures I may have a whim to write about.  Don't know 'em, have no dealings with 'em at all.  Other characters and story elements are simply figments of my twisted imagination and wild creativity.  Any resemblance, likeness or similarity is completely unintentional.  Any borrowed elements (song lyrics, themes, etc.) are given their proper credit.

 

“Mommy?”

 

The child’s voice broke through her thoughts, bringing her attention away from the dishes she was washing in the sink.  Her head turned to the side, her gaze moving across her shoulder toward the little girl coloring diligently at the kitchen table.  “What is it, Munchkin?”

 

“I wish Daddy was home.”

 

She closed her eyes, a deep sigh leaving her with a weary feeling on her shoulders as she wiped her wet hands on a dish towel.  “I know you do.  I wish he was here, too.” 

 

The small head of dark brown hair never looked up, her thin arm working furiously as the red crayon left bold strokes across the paper.  “Will he be here for Christmas?”

 

“I don’t know, baby.”  Leaving the dishes to soak in the warm water, her feet made quick work to the table, taking a seat across from the four year old.  “He’s trying really hard to get back, but there’s business he has to take care of in New York this week.”

 

“Oh.  Okay.”  The hand stopped, the crayon falling from her loose fingers to roll across the paper as big brown eyes turned up to her mother.  “Will Santa still come if Daddy’s not here?  He won’t skip us, will he?”

 

“Santa?  Skip over a little angel like you?  Never.”  A comforting smile warmed her features as she reached out, her fingers combing the hair from her daughter’s forehead.  “You and Cole are going to get lots of good things this year.”

 

“Really?”  Brown eyes turned dark with unsure worry.  “How do you know?”

 

“Because it’s a rule.  If the girls and boys are good, then he has to leave something wonderful.  That’s what makes them keep being good the next year.”  She stood and leaned across the table, pressing a kiss to the top of the girl’s head.  “Don’t worry, MaKenzie.  Santa’s still going to come even if your Dad can’t make it.  I promise.”

 

Dimples appeared as tiny teeth chewed on her bottom lip, her face scrunching up as she thought over the information she’d just been given.  “Okay.”  Chubby fingers retrieved the red crayon and she went back to scribbling across the page, every other stroke leaving color outside the lines printed on the paper.

 

“What are you coloring?”

 

“Santa.”  The girl looked up, her eyes widening as her face brightened, an idea visibly popping into her mind.  “I’m almost done.  Can we send it to Daddy?”

 

“You want to mail it to Dad?”

 

“Yeah.” 

 

“Honey, I don’t think he’ll get it on time.  Christmas is in four days and it’ll have to go all the way to New York.”

 

Disappointment settled over MaKenzie’s face, her lips turning down into a frown for just a second before lifting with a hopeful smile.  “Can’t you send it fast?  Can he get it tomorrow?”

 

“You want to send it overnight?”  She blinked, pondering the idea for a moment as she watched the child nod vigorously.  “Well . . . I don’t see why not.”  Quiet whimpers sounded over the baby monitor on the counter and she began walking for the door.  “Finish your picture while I get your brother up and ready, then we’ll take it and get it shipped when we do the grocery shopping, okay?”

 

“Okay!”

 

The excited voice was accompanied by furious scribbling, bringing a smile to her mother’s features as she moved into the hallway and started up the stairs to the baby’s room, where she found the seven month old standing precariously, his chubby fingers gripping the railing of the crib tightly, a toothless baby grin brightening his face when he saw her come in.

 

“Maaaaa.”

 

“Yep, Ma’s here.”  She lifted him out of the crib, kissing his cheeks and tickling his sides until she was rewarded with a loud squeal and a contagious, happy laugh.  “Let’s get you dressed, little man.”

 

The routine went quickly – punctuated with gentle raspberries being blown against soft baby skin and sprinkled with giggles – and within a few minutes they were both headed down the stairs and toward the kitchen, making a detour through the living room to see the fascinating lights on the tree.

 

Cole began wriggling, cooing as he tried to reach the blinking bulbs, and she moved to the corner, setting him down in his playpen so he could still see the flashing lights until they were ready to leave.

 

“Sit tight for a little while, kiddo.  We’ll be ready to go in a bit.”  As she straightened up, her gaze fell on the stockings dangling across the fireplace.  There was one for each of them, but she focused on his, an idea quickly forming.  “Why just send the picture when we can do a little more?”

 

Down came the stocking, feather light as it dangled from her fingers, and she looked around, pondering what she could fill it with.  From the drawer in the table beside his recliner, she pulled a handful of wallet-sized photographs, all from the family sitting they’d had back in August.

 

“Perfect.”  Inspired, she began moving quickly around the house, gathering various small items that she knew would help put him in the holiday spirit:  his favorite miniature Rudolph statue, their special ornament from the Christmas tree, some holiday cookies wrapped in festive aluminum foil, a CD of his favorite Christmas songs, the snowman socks that he always made fun of her for wearing, a gift bow, the photos she’d found and a little jar of hot chocolate mix with tiny marshmallows.

 

“I’m finished, Mommy.”  MaKenzie giggled as she rolled up the colorful drawing – signed ‘Love, Kenzie’ in bold green crayon.

 

“Okay, let’s start putting everything in and see if it’s all going to fit.”

 

Together, they arranged the pile of tokens into the soft fabric, until there was just a small amount of room left at the top.

 

“It’s not full.”  The child’s forehead creased in concentration, staring at the space.  “What goes there?”

 

“Something special from Mommy.”  She reached under the cabinet and pulled out a snack-sized Ziplock baggie, then retrieved a handful of Hershey’s Kisses from the refrigerator.  Leaving the snack on the counter, she moved into the hallway, digging through the small entryway desk until she found a pen and a piece of paper that was just the right size.  On her way back into the kitchen, she reached up, pulling down the mistletoe hanging from the top of the doorframe.

I love you, Joe Bear. 

The words were scribbled with a smile, then both the greenery and the note were added to the candy, filling up the clear bag.  Her fingers slid along the seal, the purple coloring that appeared assuring her that the zippered teeth would stay closed.

 

Now filled to the brim, they both just stared at the stocking for a few seconds.

 

“I think we’re good to go.”  She lifted the little girl down from the chair, patting her on the back.  “Get your jacket.  We’re going to send Daddy a little Christmas.”

 

***********************************

 

Christmas Eve came quickly and she found herself in the kitchen once again, the music from whatever Christmas cartoon MaKenzie was watching in the living room supplying a festive soundtrack as she struggled with the dough and shaped cookie cutter.

 

“Cole, they really don’t make cookie cutters like they used to.”  The baby cooed from his playpen, then laughed.  “Exactly.  Whatever happened to the metal cutters that would actually make a clean shape?”

 

After several more tries, she finally got a shape that fairly resembled a snowman.  Carefully, she lifted it over onto the cookie sheet, then attacked the dough once more, another suitable snowman appearing.

 

“Maybe we’ll forget the reindeer and Santas and just have an army of snowmen.  What do you think, baby?”

 

His only response was to rattle one of his toys, then giggle again.

 

She smiled, cutting out another cookie.  “That’s what I thought.  You don’t really care, do you?”

 

There was more rattling, then a quiet “Daaa.”

 

“I know you want Da, but he’s not here right now.”  Three more cookies made their way to the shiny metal baking sheet.  “Let me get these in the oven and we’ll give him a call.”

 

“Da.”  The rattling toy bounced as he dropped it to the padded bottom of the pen.  “Da.”

 

“Cole, Daddy is . . .”

 

Before she could turn around, there were strong arms surrounding her, pulling her back against a warm, broad chest.  For just a moment, she tensed, taken off guard, but when she felt his chin on her shoulder, heard his familiar deep breathing, an instant calm settled over her.

 

“Daddy’s right here.”  His voice was gruff, just like it was whenever he came home and saw her for the first time.  After a few minutes, he’d be back to his usual smooth baritone, but for now, she was happy with that rough tone that never failed to give her chills.

 

“MaKenzie is going to lose her mind when she sees you.”  Her hands came down to cover his, squeezing his fingers.

 

“I was kind of hoping for the same reaction from her mom.”  He laughed quietly, letting his lips move against her neck.  Then he loosened his hold just enough for her to turn and face him.  “Did you miss me?”

 

“Like crazy.”  She raised her arms until they draped over his shoulders, letting her gaze move over his features carefully, finally meeting his warm brown eyes.  With a sigh, she smiled, tugging him down until she spoke against his lips.  “But that first kiss after you walk in the door always makes up for it.”

 

He obliged enthusiastically, his fingers gripping her hips almost painfully as he leaned into her, pressing her back against the counter until he had no doubt that she’d feel him even after he pulled away.  “Yeah, I guess it does.”

 

Taking a deep breath, she rested her cheek against the soft fabric of his shirt, letting her fingers comb through his hair.  “I thought you couldn’t make it.  What happened?”

 

“My three favorite people in the world sent me a little Christmas.”  Reaching up, he took her hand, lacing his fingers through hers as he bent to lift his son into his free arm, humming quietly as baby fingers fisted in his shirt.  “But it wasn’t enough.”

 

“It wasn’t?”  Her eyes came up to meet his, slightly surprised at the dark emotions swirling there.

 

“Nope.  I had to come home for the full thing.”  Giving her hand a gentle tug, he guided her toward the hallway, where the sound of MaKenzie’s laughter mixed with the echo of the television.

 

They stepped into the living room, immediately being greeted with a loud “Daddy!”

 

The little girl hopped out of the recliner and dashed across the floor, throwing herself against his legs in a monstrous bear hug.

 

His fingers squeezed hers until their gazes met again, then he released her hand so that he could reach down to give MaKenzie a one-armed hug.

 

This is Christmas, baby.  And I wouldn’t miss it for anything.”

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

There ya have it.  A cute short just in time for the Christmas holiday.  What'cha think?  Good?  Bad?  A waste of space?  Drop some feedback my way to let me know if it needs a little somethin' extra.  :)

Thanks for the read!


Completed
Renee is the author of 12 other stories.

This story is part of the series, Christmas Cookies. The next story in the series is Mistletoe.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story